Tapology Forums

Next for Merab (#12)?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

rkn5
rkn5
  • Predictions:  2,049  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  569
  • Post Score: 35

05.03.2021 | 4:20 PM ET

Merab defeated #13 Cody Stamann Saturday night, where he out-struck and out-grappled his opponent. He showed his level in dealing with a true Top 15 talent. 

WHO SHOULD MERAB FIGHT NEXT?

1. Marlon Moraes (#6) - Three years ago, Moraes was the most feared Bantamweight in the world. Now he is coming from a pair of KO losses to Sandhagen (#2) and Font (#3). He must now fight down, and his next test may come against a Merab who is riding a 6-fight win streak. Will this fight happen? Does it make sense?

2. Frankie Edgar (#7) - Merab may earn the legend fight with FE after his impressive victory over Stamann. Even though he got bruality KO'd in his last fight, Edgar has expressed interest in continuing his career. But with no right to fight above his ranking, he must fight down, and Merab is a main player standing in the way. Will we get Merab vs Frankie next?

3. Pedro Munhoz (#8) - Munhoz has both won and lost to top talent in the division. He is coming from a victory versus Jimmie Rivera three months ago. A well rounded contender, with much better striking than Stamann, Munhoz may be the next test for Merab. Will the UFC make this fight? 

4. Jimmie Rivera (#11) - Many pundits are calling for this Rivera fight next. They are side-by-side in the rankings, with similar skill sets. 7-4 in the UFC at 31 years old, Rivera is a vet who has faced much of the division's top-tier talent. 6-2 in the UFC and 30 years old, Merab has a similar profile to Rivera. This fight is not the fight I want but makes the most sense. Do you want it? And will it happen?

Responses

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,254  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,483
  • Post Score: 203

05.03.2021 | 6:09 PM ET

I think Merab deserves a significant step up from the Cody Stamann's of the world. He's an interesting fighter. Good striker, great wrestler, solid overall grappling, and an absolutely endless gas tank. What I want to see is Merab vs. Frankie. The way Merab fights honestly reminds me of Edgar when he was coming up. They have some similarities and I think at this stage it'd be fascinating to see how they deal with eachother.

None of the fights listed are bad shouts, though. He definitely deserves someone in that Top 10, or a fringe Top 10 like Rivera.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

rkn5
rkn5
  • Predictions:  2,049  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  569
  • Post Score: 35

05.04.2021 | 12:03 AM ET

Mike Loves,

I like the Marlon fight the most because Marlon is super dangerous. The Edgar fight is probably my second choice. Right now, I believe Munhoz beats him. 

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : UFC 300 Prelims Break Viewership Records
  • MMAFighting.com : Diaz vs. Masvidal New York City press conference video at 6:30 p.m. ET
  • MMA Mania : ‘Nobody Embodies The BMF Belt’ Like Chandler
  • MMA Junkie : Magomed Ankalaev predicts he'd knock out UFC champ Alex Pereira: 'The man doesn't have a chin'
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘The world gonna see me expose this dude’: Haney ready to dominate Garcia this weekend
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘The world gonna see me expose this dude’: Devin Haney ready to dominate Ryan Garcia this weekend
  • MMA Junkie : Video: Nate Diaz vs. Jorge Masvidal New York press conference live stream (6:30 p.m. ET)
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Chandler eyes BMF title fight with Max Holloway after UFC 303 bout vs. Conor McGregor
  • MMA Mania : Broken Toe? ‘Rotate It A Bit!’
  • MMA Junkie : Ilia Topuria touts feather in cap over Max Holloway after UFC 300 knockout
  • MMAFighting.com : Alex Pereira releases footage of broken toe 2 weeks before UFC 300
  • MMA Junkie : 10 highest UFC event gates in promotion history
  • Middle Easy : (Video) Max Holloway’s Team Lost Their Minds After UFC 300 KO And So Did Ref Marc Goddard
  • MMAFighting.com : Arman Tsarukyan explains why he passed on UFC 302 title fight with Islam Makhachev
  • MMA Mania : Garbrandt Hospitalized With Vertigo
  • MMA Mania : VIDEO: Sound & Pound — Was UFC 300 The Best MMA Event Ever?
  • Bad Left Hook : Devin Haney shoves Ryan Garcia: ‘Your son’s going to get killed,’ says Haney’s father
  • UFC.com : Featherweight Contenders (#12) Edson Barboza And Lerone Murphy Battle At UFC Apex
  • Middle Easy : Michael Bisping: Max Holloway ‘Flipped The Script’ At UFC 300, Justin Gaethje ‘Victim Of His Own Success’
  • MMA Mania : Haney Two-Hands Garcia Atop Empire State Building