Tapology Forums

UFC Africa confirmed!

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

LaFmaN
LaFmaN
  • Predictions:  2,587  |  60.3%
  • Forum Posts:  16
  • Post Score: 144

04.26.2021 | 11:48 PM ET

UFC President Dana White confirmed that the UFC is headed to Africa in 2022 during the 261 post fight press conference. Congratulations to the three African born UFC champions: #KamaruUsman, #IsraelAdesanya and #FrancisNgannou. It is undoubtedly because of your hard work and excellence that the UFC his headed to Africa. 

All throughout human history, man, woman, and child have left their homeland in search of a better life. That is exactly what these three men have done. However unlike most, these men have achieved such incredible success, they're now presented with the historic opportunity to return home and lift entire nations of people through martial arts.

Dana White mentioned in the press conference how Africa has untapped potential for hundreds if not thousands of high level athletes. I couldn't agree more. He also mentioned how the success of the UFC's African champions will likely lead to an explosion of martial arts gyms throughout the continent.

This is only just the beginning! As martial arts popularity continues to grow on the African continent expect to see more and more top ranked fighters, gyms and teams coming out of Africa. I wouldn't be surprised to see Africa become home to a UFC Performance Institute at some point in the future. 

Best case scenario Africa might even get another three title fight card! Considering how dominant all three African champions are this is a very real possibility. Only time will tell. 

What are some African born fighters you guys see exploding onto the scene over the next couple years?

#MMAFandS

"Loving MMA is easy, cause it's beautiful."

Responses

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,252  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,242
  • Post Score: 137

04.27.2021 | 1:35 AM ET

Wow this is an interesting development.
Not sure there is untapped ready to go talent but time will tell.
New blood is always a good thing maybe dwcs.

"Weasel Piss *********" Dan Hooker

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

04.27.2021 | 2:04 AM ET

I don't think Dana has any intention of doing an African card. It's a PR stunt. He's just saying words.

White gave an indeterminate expression of interest to possibly doing an African card in 2022. Not only is this extremely ambiguous, but anything over six months ( and likely over a year) away is a long time in MMA terms. Anything could happen in the interim, and given how unstable Africa ( and belts) are it likely will. A pretty much inexhaustible litany of excuses will serve as a basis to not do a card in Africa.

Despite  Usman and Izzy both being Nigerian, there's no way they'd ever do a card in Nigeria. Way, waaaaaay too dangerous/logistical nightmare. I won't even bother talking about Cameroon, it's barely a civilization but if you want to have a laugh get an estimate on travel insurance for a Holiday in Cameroon. It would have to be SA, which has the requisite security/ tourism police/ infrastructure to handle a card.

OK, cool. 1000 rand is 70$ USD. Average ticket price to a UFC even is 65$ for a nosebleeder.  500 rand will buy you a 4 course meal in SA' s best restaurant. That's about 35 bucks--close to half a ticket price. How many groceries/utilities that kind of money buys over there christ knows, but I'd wager it's a lot. Gate would be **** all, PPV would have to carry it. I doubt they' could even sell tickets at the equivalent of 65 USD$, they would have to discount them hugely whilst still shouldering overheads and production costs at worse rates than what they would experience in either the US or Europe. And then pay a Conversion Fee on top of that.

Only way Rand bounces bigly is big **** energy upside for commodities which is literally 95% of Africa's economy, and won't happen. Know how I know? I own a bunch of African mining stocks/ventures and God doesn't want me making money on commodities. One of them actually isn't even a total pile of **** ( Thanks AMS:MT).

6 hour time difference between Washington and Johannesburg. which is where it would happen I suppose. Not obscene but not great.

I dunno. I think it might all be ********.

* Edited at 04.27.2021, 3:50 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 3 hours, and 48 minutes from now.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video, results
  • MMA Junkie : PFL Chicago fight week vlog 3: Fighters explore the city ahead of fight night
  • MMAFighting.com : Kamaru Usman questions how much Max Holloway’s eye pokes altered outcome of Justin Gaethje fight
  • MMA Junkie : PFL Week 3 predictions: Who are our unanimous picks at welterweight, featherweight in Chicago?
  • MMA Mania : DAZN Leaks Elle Brooke Vs Paige VanZant Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Bo Nickal's response to Khamzat Chimaev's criticism of his UFC 300 win wasn't the best
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 302 adds several fights to Islam Makhachev vs. Dustin Poirier card
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’m going in there to f— this man up’: Ryan Garcia’s final thoughts on Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : Bill Haney gifts Ryan Garcia ‘Psychology for Dummies’ book