Topic: UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night: Font vs. Garbrandt

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,834
  • Post Score: 47

02.13.2021 | 12:03 AM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC Fight Night
  • Saturday 05.22.2021 at 04:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: ESPN+
  • Name: UFC Fight Night: Font vs. Garbrandt
  • Also Known As: UFC Vegas 27
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: UFC APEX
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Brendan Fitzgerald, Michael Bisping, Paul Felder
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Paul Felder
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Rob Font   defeats   Cody Garbrandt   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Carla Esparza   defeats   Xiaonan Yan   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound From Crucifix   2:58 Round 2 of 3, 7:58 Total Bout Page
Jared Vanderaa   defeats   Justin Tafa   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Norma Dumont   defeats   Felicia Spencer   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ricardo Ramos   defeats   Bill Algeo   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jack Hermansson   defeats   Edmen Shahbazyan   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ben Rothwell   defeats   Chris Barnett   via Submission, Guillotine Choke   2:07 Round 2 of 3, 7:07 Total Bout Page
Court McGee   defeats   Claudio Silva   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Bruno Silva   defeats   Victor Rodriguez   via KO/TKO, Right Cross to Ground and Pound   1:00 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Josh Culibao   defeats   Shayilan Nuerdanbieke   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
David Dvořák   defeats   Juancamilo Ronderos   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   2:18 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Damir Ismagulov   defeats   Rafael Alves   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 6

MMAFan223
MMAFan223
  • Predictions:  13,019  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  313
  • Post Score: 206

05.18.2021 | 5:29 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 540 Points   |   Tied for 281st

Font vs. Garbrandt
Cody Garbrandt, TKO, R2
Not that confident in this, it's technical boxing vs speed and power. Cody also had a tough time with COVID and has had serious injuries. I think his speed and power will end up winning him this, Font has had an incredible chin but he's 33 now, bound to crack.

Yan vs. Esparza
Xiaonan Yan, DEC
Depends on what the judges favor, good strikes from bottom or lay and pray. Gonna go with good strikes from bottom plus I think she'll be the fresher fighter by round 3.

Tafa vs. Vanderaa
Justin Tafa, TKO, R1
Very low level HW fight, I like Tafa but he's not incredibly impressive. Someone might expose his ground game like Tai but I doubt it's Vanderaa.

Spencer vs. Dumont
Norma Dumont, DEC
Banking on Dumont negating the grappling exchanges and having the striking advantage. Surprised with so many Spencer picks.

Dvořák vs. Paiva
David Dvořák, DEC
Pretty confident in Dvorak, good low kicks and strong counters. Paiva is young and tends to get a little wild. Dvorak will lose to someone that pressures him, mixes in the takedowns and throws a high volume, don't see Paiva doing that.

Hermansson vs. Shahbazyan
Jack Hermansson, SUB, R2
Hermansson survives the early storm and takes him down late. Edmen has good takedown defense early but got taken down easily by Brunson and Stewart late. I'd be surprised if he hasn't been working on the gas tank but iirc he had some sort of physical issue that was holding him back too. If that's true it puts a massive ceiling on his career.

Algeo vs. Ramos
Ricardo Ramos, DEC
I'm gonna guess Ramos makes improvements between fights and takes this one. Not confident, Algeo is really solid.

Rothwell vs. Barnett
Ben Rothwell, TKO, R2
Most of Barnett's wins are at Super Heavyweight lol. Seems like a gimme for Rothwell but I can still see him losing it cause it doesn't feel like he really has much interest in fighting anymore.

Silva vs. McGee
Court McGee, DEC
Surprising they haven't cut Court. I was really surprised he didn't attempt a single takedown on Condit. I bet here he survives the subs early and wears on Silva late. Hannibal's style feels odd at an old age where your gas tank isn't likely what it used to be.

Rodriguez vs. Silva
Bruno Silva, TKO, R1
Silva looked good last time out, Rodriguez might have more success at 125 than 135 but this looks like a tough challenge for him, Silva doesn't have any clear weaknesses he can expose.

Culibao vs. Sha
Joshua Culibao, TKO, R2
Culibao hasn't had the best UFC run but Sha's record is really unimpressive. These WLF W.A.R.S. guys are really struggling too so far this year.

Medeiros vs. Hadžović
Damir Hadžović, TKO, R1
Hadzovic has gotten out grappled in pretty much all his losses. I don't see Yancy dominating him in the wrestling. This should be a good fight.

Ismagulov vs. Alves
Damir Ismagulov, DEC
This fight screams crazy guillotine when down 2 rounds but gotta go with the much more skilled fighter.

Rubal
Rubal
  • Predictions:  26  |  53.8%
  • Forum Posts:  19
  • Post Score: 200

05.18.2021 | 8:20 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 2199th

Lol, Better than Zhang GTFO !
Zhang will kick Rose's ass in the rematch & guys like you will change their tune immediately. People are so fickle.
Rubal
Rubal

05.18.2021 | 8:35 AM ET

Mark Henry is a drama *****, not a fighter. Have had enough of this WWE BS ! Lame is what it is.
Tieoken
Tieoken
  • Predictions:  1,977  |  59.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,620
  • Post Score: 313

05.18.2021 | 8:53 AM ET

This is almost as good as the Tapology vs RKn beef.

"I’m here to snatch necks and cash checks" - Darrick Minner

pedrotacuara
pedrotacuara
  • Predictions:  196  |  65.8%
  • Forum Posts:  93
  • Post Score: 269

05.18.2021 | 9:59 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 575 Points   |   Tied for 126th

Font vs. Garbrandt
Cody Garbrandt, TKO, R3

Hard fight to predict, mainly because of Cody, I think here are many things in favor of Font in this matchup. 

Font has great boxing and kickboxing combos; his chin seems very solid, has never been finished with strikes and took two hard kicks from Moraes and recovered impressively fast. Also, Font is very well sized for the division. He has not been the most active fighter over the years and is not the youngest, but damn his skillset is amazing and you know he's just a dog. I only have good things to say about him, honestly.

I have never been the biggest Cody fan (maybe because I've always liked TJ better?) but his skills are undeniable. We all know about the suspect chin and how it came back to haunt him, but also I think I'm one of those who can't seem to forget his amazing performance against Cruz. Maybe the problem has always been that that performance has been overvalued but damn, so fast, intelligent, precise, the scrambling ability, the ****iness. Just unforgettable. 
He changed camps for his last fight and it showed on his strategy. More feints, lot of single leg kicks shots, head movement after punching. It's a very small sample tho, 2 rounds against an always patient Assunção. Overall it was a very welcoming emotional environment to make a comeback, so I don't think he was fully tested that night.
Cody has never shown cardio issues (on the contrary) but it has rightfully been brought up into question on how big of an impact could there be after catching a bad case of COVID. All you have to do is watch the JRE episode and know it was many months of struggle, taking wrong antibiotics and then finally fixing it. It must have done some sort of damage, altho overall, because he doesn't cut much weight, I think he'll have built the necessary conditioning by now after, maybe 6 months. I think it's prolly enough to be at a decent place. In this case, size could be an advantage for him and I think Cody is one of those who keeps himself very fit year round and the reason why he goes into fight week very close to the division's weight limit, contrasting with most of the roster.

All in all, I agree: the "facts" seem to favor Font and it could be one of those cases where it turns out quite obvious on hindsight which one was going to win. Maybe after all, am I a Cody fan?? I seem to be leaning to my heart on this one: I want to believe the COVID hasn't impacted his cardio and that he has improved his style for the better. I really like Font too, in many ways he is everything that I like about an MMA striker. 

But man, I guess I'm just willing to take the L here. Maybe it's all wishful thinking, but I want Cody to get a new run for the title (BW or FLW). Cody to win with an amazing comeback performance, it's my pick.

* Edited at 05.18.2021, 12:12 PM ET *

MMAFORTUNETELLER
MMAFORTUNETELLER
  • Predictions:  32  |  56.3%
  • Forum Posts:  165
  • Post Score: -526

05.18.2021 | 10:53 AM ET

Killed it last weekend. 5 unit plays on Oliveira, Lutz and 4.5 on Barboza.... LETS GOOO!!!

This user is suspended from posting until 1 month, 5 days, and 40 minutes from now.
Rubal
Rubal

05.18.2021 | 12:07 PM ET

Your predictions are all wrong this time & you will see it in time plus you just called Juan Adams 'Legendary' ?!? That guy has size & nothing else to back it up for UFC & The legend has been kicked out. Pfft !

* Edited at 05.18.2021, 12:29 PM ET *

ZoomerBet
ZoomerBet
  • Predictions:  2,962  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,135

05.18.2021 | 12:17 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 929th

Juan Adams is the heavyweight GOAT

"Excuse me guys, I want to say something. I want to stay humble, but I have to talk because you guys talk too much"

Rubal
Rubal

05.18.2021 | 12:29 PM ET

No, It's you dad 😂
ZoomerBet
ZoomerBet
  • Predictions:  2,962  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,135

05.18.2021 | 1:25 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 929th

I wasn't kidding

"Excuse me guys, I want to say something. I want to stay humble, but I have to talk because you guys talk too much"

DdogMMA
DdogMMA
  • Predictions:  1,589  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  162
  • Post Score: 141

05.18.2021 | 1:46 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Font vs. Garbrandt
Rob Font, TKO, R1
Garbrandt is such a good fighter but his chin is gone. Font is going to knock Cody out just like he did Marlon Moraes.

Yan vs. Esparza
Xiaonan Yan, DEC
Both are very good and I think this fight is going to be somewhat close but Yan will edge out a decision win.

Tafa vs. Vanderaa
Justin Tafa, TKO, R1
Tafa opened up as a -190 favorite and I still think that is good value. Tafa isn't that good but Vanderaa is one of the worst fighter I have ever seen. Vanderaa was getting wrecked on DWCS before he ended up winning. He should not be in the UFC.

Spencer vs. Dumont
Felicia Spencer, DEC
Dumont is good but Spencer is elite. I think Spencer a decision pretty comfortably.

Dvořák vs. Paiva
David Dvořák, DEC
I'm leaning Dvorak but I would not be shocked if Paiva wins. This fight is one of the hardest to call on this card. Both guys have fought very good competition.

Hermansson vs. Shahbazyan
Jack Hermansson, DEC
Shahbazyan was dominated by Derek Brunson. If Edmen couldn't handle Derek, he probably won't be able to handed Hermansson. I think Hermansson will win via decision but I would not be shocked if he GNP Edmen.

Algeo vs. Ramos
Bill Algeo, DEC
This could be FOTN. I think this is going to be a war and I see Algeo getting the win but it could go either way.

Rothwell vs. Barnett
Ben Rothwell, TKO, R1
Rothwell is so washed and Barnett is actually a pretty decent fighter. I think Barnett can win here because Rothwell is so hittable and you really don't wanna be hit by a punch from Barnett.

Silva vs. McGee
Claudio Silva, DEC
Both guys need to retire at this point but McGee is so washed he should have retired a while ago.

Rodriguez vs. Silva
Bruno Silva, TKO, R2
Rodriguez is a can. Silva is going to make this look so easy. A good amount of money is coming in on Silva and rightfully so.

Culibao vs. Sha
Joshua Culibao, TKO, R2
Culibao is a good prospect. He had a draw with Jourdain but some people thought he beat him. He should be able to beat Sha here and I think he knocks him out. Culibao has underrated hands.

Medeiros vs. Hadžović
Yancy Medeiros, DEC
I think Medeiros is underrated. I think he is better than his record. He will beat Hadzovic via decision.

Ismagulov vs. Alves
Damir Ismagulov, DEC
Ismagulov is back!! Damir is so good that he is going to make Alves look terrible. Alves is pretty good but he is going to lose every second of this fight. Damir via decision.

MikeLovesTacos XD
MikeLovesTacos XD
  • Predictions:  30,283  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  22,483
  • Post Score: 203

05.18.2021 | 1:54 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 250 Points   |   Tied for 2955th

Decent Fight Night. 

Regardless of Garbrandt's performance against Assuncao, I just can't confidently pick him against a known (and elite, by MMA standards) puncher. He is undeniably chinny and we don't know if he's still prone to brawl like a complete idiot because Assuncao was never gonna be the one to bring that out of him. Punch-for-punch I don't think Cody can hang with Font, to be honest. We'll see. 

Hoping this is Xiaonan Yan's coming out party, but Esparza is a tough out. Her last three wins give me some confidence she can give Esparza some severe fits, though. 

Jack Harmansson would need to be on quite the decline to lose to Edmen Shahbazyan. No disrespect to Shahbazyan intended, either. I think he's a fighter to watch definitely. Just not on the level of people like Vettori and Cannonier imo - can't see him beating a vet like Hermansson.

This card is pretty bland honestly. Can't get behind any Justin Tafa hype yet, and a win over Vanderaa doesn't change that. Can never get behind a Felicia Spencer fight, because it makes me very sad about the state of Canadian MMA. 

Weirdly enough the two first fights of the night if Tapology's bout order is accurate may be the best fights on the card. Medeiros/Hadzovic and Ismagulov/Alves are fantastic. Also excited for Rothwell/Barnett if Barnett can actually make 265. The state of heavyweight right now is awful, but this fight could be weird and ******* wild.

"Why are you booing me? I am the GOAT. **** you." - Patricio "Pitbull" Freire

Tieoken
Tieoken

05.18.2021 | 3:17 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Font vs. Garbrandt
Cody Garbrandt, DEC
I can't say I'll be shocked, but I would be mildly surprised if Cody doesn't use his Wrestling. Font has just terrible takedown defense, his idea of a TD defense is jumping the gilly worse than Dustin. Garbrandt needs to use his speed defensively here and not in search of the KO, Font has a chin of steel and will gladly engage in a brawl and I think his defense in the middle of combos is enough to win any long exchange he gets into here. Close fight, but I'll say Garbrandt will once again show a solid gameplan (i'm hoping).

FireFist45
FireFist45
  • Predictions:  5,859  |  58.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,137
  • Post Score: 163

05.18.2021 | 4:19 PM ET

Here's the Public Link

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 929th

https://www.tapology.com/fantasy/36828

Either click on link or copy and paste url  -- To GAIN ACCESS to Group BATTLE ...

you will be able to comment and talk trash !!!

I invited - MMAFortuneteller ... lets see if he jumps in.  I really want him to get in !!! 
FireFist45
FireFist45
  • Predictions:  5,859  |  58.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,137
  • Post Score: 163

05.18.2021 | 4:36 PM ET

@mmafortuneteller

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 929th

Hey Buddy ... thats great you had a few picks last weekend. 

I am challenging you -- BRING IT !!!
Erison
Erison
  • Predictions:  1,677  |  65.4%
  • Forum Posts:  4,896
  • Post Score: 227

05.18.2021 | 4:52 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 390 Points   |   Tied for 1902nd

FireFist, anyone ever tell you you've got big "Overcompensating to fit in with the guys in the locker room" energy?
Tosh
Tosh
  • Predictions:  9,839  |  67.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,128
  • Post Score: 180

05.18.2021 | 4:57 PM ET

@Discussion Participants

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 505 Points   |   Tied for 504th

I thought the idea of @firefist going head to head with @Erison was brilliant--but

@firefist inviting others to join in a DUEL is  bizarre and unsatisfying

Can we erase this link and reset for an 

actual head to head and not a group cluster****?

"He who hesitates meditates in a horizontal position""

Tieoken
Tieoken

05.18.2021 | 5:36 PM ET

But cluster****s are way more fun.

Thewelshguy1998
Thewelshguy1998
  • Predictions:  604  |  58.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,054
  • Post Score: 242

05.18.2021 | 5:47 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 2088th

Font vs. Garbrandt
Rob Font, TKO, R3
Font got the edge in standup here imo, cody should try some wrestling in this

Yan vs. Esparza
Xiaonan Yan, DEC
Ufc 261 made Chinese fighters look like ****

Tafa vs. Vanderaa
Justin Tafa, DEC
Vanderaa got into the ufc after beating Harry hunsucker.🤦🏻‍♂️

Rothwell vs. Barnett
Ben Rothwell, DEC
Hard to finish Rothwell

Ismagulov vs. Alves
Damir Ismagulov, DEC
Rafael on the naughty step for missing weight by a mile on his debut like a real clown👌🏻

Tosh
Tosh
  • Predictions:  9,839  |  67.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,128
  • Post Score: 180

05.18.2021 | 6:16 PM ET

@Tieoken

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 505 Points   |   Tied for 504th

A free-for-all dilutes the excitement and build up for a head to head duel.

Think of 3 fighters in the octagon.

You may disagree, fair enough.

"He who hesitates meditates in a horizontal position""

Page 6

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : ‘Most Dominant Fight’ Of UFC 300?
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia start time, TV schedule, ring walks
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Haney Vs Garcia Results & Play-By-Play!
  • MMA Junkie : T.J. Dillashaw was rooting for ex-rival Cody Garbrandt at UFC 300: 'I hate to see a fighter lose his confidence'
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway reveals gnarly bruised leg from UFC 300 win: ‘That guy kicks like a Mack truck’
  • MMAFighting.com : U.S. Olympic Wrestling Results: Team trial finals
  • MMAFighting.com : Karate Combat 45 live stream online: Luke Rockhold vs. Joe Schilling
  • Bad Left Hook : Haney vs Garcia: Live updates and results, 8 pm ET
  • Jits Magazine : Bianca Basilio To Face Nanami Ichikawa At ONE Fight Night 22
  • Jits Magazine : Three Invites Announced For ADCC 2024 Under 77kg Division
  • MMA Junkie : PFL signs top prospect Paul Hughes, says promotion president
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Magomed Umalatov remains unbeaten, Brendan Loughnane gets back on track with quick win
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 full results: Magomed Umalatov, Shamil Musaev keep unbeaten records intact
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia: Live round-by-round updates
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia Results: Live updates of the undercard and main event
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Square Up With Yourself, Motherf—ker!
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 video: Brendan Loughnane TKOs Pedro Carvalho; stoppage sparks controversy
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 video: Shamil Musaev pulverizes Logan Storley with violent knockout blows
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Fighter’s puking causes TKO loss at Dynasty Combat Sports 91
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz walks out on final tour stop: ‘Square off with yourself motherf**ker’