Tapology Forums

The Miscellaneous Thread

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,542
  • Post Score: 262

12.21.2020 | 8:19 PM ET

This Thread Is a Thread where you can post what ever you want from  **** posting to crazy stuff . Any topic MMA related to what ever you want to talk. Try and not be toxic arsehole. And one rule No Politic allowed because that what made people ****s

Let me Start, I find it insane it like 4 days to Chrismas , Im suprise it so close to the end of the Year,  Fells like Junes.Anyone have anything cool plan for Chrissy, I’m probley just gonna mess around at the gym 

* Edited at 12.21.2020, 8:52 PM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

Page 366

TARTARA
TARTARA
  • Predictions:  53,849  |  69.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,186
  • Post Score: 65

05.19.2022 | 4:22 PM ET

Unlock the @ImperatorFishrat account and merge the new one, into it ... ( just saying... ) !

"KURZHAAR - Tomorrow Never Comes Until It's Too Late"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,561
  • Post Score: 275

05.19.2022 | 4:23 PM ET

doing it for the money?

If the only thing that mattered to me was the money, trying to build an MMA site would be a really bad bet. This industry is littered with failed companies. Promoters, websites, gyms, etc.

Make no mistake... Tapology is trying to make money. But the idea was that hopefully we could build a profitable company AND it would be enjoyable and be in a cool industry like MMA.  If money was the only thing that mattered, I'd probably have been better off working for bigger tech/internet companies like I used to.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Fremen
Fremen
  • Predictions:  1,368  |  64.5%
  • Forum Posts:  3,579
  • Post Score: 218

05.19.2022 | 4:25 PM ET

Thank you for the chance of changing it and sorry for not well thought take about money thing

"****."

Hadrian Caesar
Hadrian Caesar
  • Predictions:  904  |  67.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,114
  • Post Score: 338

05.19.2022 | 4:27 PM ET

Don't let tapology become sherdog. Every time i accidentally click on it my stomach turns

"Cowards die many times before their deaths; The valiant never taste of death but once." - Julius Caesar.

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

05.19.2022 | 4:28 PM ET

You're still failing to understand:

Greg is no more likely to start paying people to write media articles than he is to start paying people to make Tapology-themed hamburgers and start selling them via the site. Both would make equal sense in terms of direction to his vision and business model. 

Expecting Greg to take Tapology in the direction of say MMA FIGHTING is like expecting Rio Tinto to suddenly venture into salmon farming. It makes absolutely no sense at all, and will never happen.

MMA is not as big as you think it is. There's an old saying that rings true in the context of this discussion, and you would do well remember it in future: A big increase on **** all is very often still **** all.

Let's put this into some context:

Endeavour is the parent company of UFC, which is really the only MMA organisation that matters--apart from Bellator to a far, far lesser degree.

Endeavour posted Quarterly earnings reports recently. Their EBITDA margin was 314M$. Never look at gross revenue reports by the way. These do not tell much of a story. Gross is...well, gross.

Now you probably think that's quite a lot, but in relative terms, it's chicken scratch. To put this into focus, TESLA netted about 2.4B in earnings in the same period. How many TESLA's do you really see getting around? Also you need to consider that the figure of 314M EBITDA-adjusted is not purely revenue from UFC. That's revenue generated by every single holding in the company's possession, of which there are dozens. You also have to consider that UFC and entertainment in general has been in a bull cycle for two years, and earnings reflect this.

The long and short of it is, MMA is not as large, nor as profitable, as you think it is. In relative terms, it is still a very niche market. Consider that the football (soccer) merchandise market is about 1B just by itself. That's just jerseys and caps and whatever.

To get back on point, Topology converting to a media platform would require an expensive and arduous restructuring that would almost certainly prove unprofitable and a damp squib, because that section of the market is already dominated by conglomerated media groups. It would be like running a pathology clinic, then deciding to open a taco stall by the front door, which is on the opposite side of the road to taco bell. You'd make something, but it would be a dog-headed play and wouldn't be worth the exercise. 

* Edited at 05.19.2022, 4:35 PM ET *

Fremen
Fremen

05.19.2022 | 4:31 PM ET

do you guys have any ideas of some creative nick I could take 

"****."

TARTARA
TARTARA
  • Predictions:  53,849  |  69.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,186
  • Post Score: 65

05.19.2022 | 4:34 PM ET

From Mythology 

* Edited at 05.19.2022, 4:34 PM ET *

"KURZHAAR - Tomorrow Never Comes Until It's Too Late"

Gregory
Gregory

05.19.2022 | 4:40 PM ET

forums not important?

Baldric is right... as I've said in the past, the forums are a very small portion of the overall Tapology usage and traffic. The FightCenter pages (fighters, events, bouts, gyms) are the majority of the traffic. Also, most of the traffic to Tapology is not even logged in to a user account.

It's kind of like Wikipedia in a sense. Tons of people end up reading all kinds of Wikipedia articles... you google something random and Wikipedia shows up near the top of Google's search results.  But you don't log in to a Wikipedia account unless you are part of the small group of users who want to edit Wikis, etc.

The difference from Wikipedia is there's a lot more to do on Tapology with a user account than just edit wikis. Make picks, talk in forum, play fantasy games... so it's not a perfect analogy. But hopefully you get the point.

Anyway, despite this, it is NOT TRUE that the forums are not important. Even though it's a small fraction of the traffic to the website, the forum helps make the website feel alive, like there's a community.  And a lot of important things come out of that community... for example a lot of the people that help on the database are people that we got to know first in the forums. The forums ARE important and some day (not imminently) there will be improvements and new features in the forums.  

Gregory
Gregory

05.19.2022 | 4:47 PM ET

news & media

It's a complicated topic.  Obviously we don't have news and media (like interviews or videos) at all right now.

As Tapology keeps getting bigger, that might change. But it's still not clear exactly what we'd want any of that stuff to look like. There's a lot of ideas, but it will all take a lot of work, and it hasn't been among our top priorities.

Also, the things that ARE the top priorities have been delayed and are taking a lot longer than initially expected. I know it seems to some of you like we haven't been improving the website, but we are working hard on it.  Just an hour ago, new code was deployed containing a couple of improvements and a small new feature. It's just that it's not always super obvious or visible what we're doing.

Gregory
Gregory

05.19.2022 | 4:58 PM ET

Fighters switching weight classes

I know, I know, I'm sorry about this. It's been a ****** problem with how the database and rankings are designed for many years now.  For the purposes of how you build your rankings, a fighter is only allowed to belong to 1 weight class at a time.  This wasn't a big problem like 7 years ago, but now there are more UFC fighters who are switching weight classes more regularly. So it's a bigger problem now.

I really think this is going to be fixed/resolved this year. There is an unrelated new feature in development for the rankings portion of the website that involves restructuring how a lot of the database is designed for the rankings. When we finally get that done, we can fix this lingering problem.

Fremen
Fremen

05.19.2022 | 4:59 PM ET

yesterday I realized that a bug was fixed, when I was at page where you save your predictions, I saw that when I click on a circle (green or red) that shows result of previous fight of a fighter, the descripction was designed differently and finally above the right circle

* Edited at 05.19.2022, 5:20 PM ET *

"****."

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

05.19.2022 | 5:10 PM ET

@Greg I don't think media is a completely terrible idea but any form of digital print articles would absolutely not be the right path. That **** is surely as doomed as the dodo. This is very obvious to me especially when you consider the audience decline in sites like MMA Fighting/SBN etc and their increasing transition to platforms like youtube for content creation. Even Vox has been swinging the axe like a madman the last couple of years. That entire industry smells like death.

If it were me (and it isn't) a Youtube channel which featured fighter interviews might prove lucrative. I have no idea what that involves or what it would look like but I've no doubt that's where the market is.
Gregory
Gregory

05.19.2022 | 5:18 PM ET

adrndc11 bug fix above circles

Yes the code for when you hover over those things was updated this week. Let me know if you see any new issues with it.

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

05.19.2022 | 5:25 PM ET

Monkey pox.

Unrelated, but I'm really, really, really not ready for the sequel yet.

Fremen
Fremen

05.19.2022 | 5:30 PM ET

I saw it 16 hours ago, read an article where a doctor from the UK said he would be surprised if amount of cases reach 100(in the UK). Big part of the cases are gay males, which can suggest the way it is being transfered.  Havent checked on it for 16 hours so there might be more information about the whole thing. 

* Edited at 05.19.2022, 5:31 PM ET *

"****."

Baldric Eggling
Baldric Eggling

05.19.2022 | 5:35 PM ET

UK border force needs to shoulder the blame for this.

This was an inevitability when they let Fisty into England. It's obvious to me that he's patient zero, and I'd conservatively estimate that he's personally vectored between 40-55% of total infections.

* Edited at 05.19.2022, 5:38 PM ET *

HiDefff
HiDefff

05.19.2022 | 5:42 PM ET

so you're saying Fisty will have it by tomorrow if that's how its spreading 
AyyLmaonnaise
AyyLmaonnaise
  • Predictions:  15,927  |  67.4%
  • Forum Posts:  32,039
  • Post Score: 88

05.19.2022 | 5:49 PM ET

There was a case in Massachusetts too

"“Unfortunately you can’t talk like that on FOX” - Joe Rogan"

ZoomerBet
ZoomerBet
  • Predictions:  2,962  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1,135
  • Post Score: 269

05.19.2022 | 5:52 PM ET

Tapology hamburger sounds tasty, I will have two please

* Edited at 05.19.2022, 5:53 PM ET *

"Excuse me guys, I want to say something. I want to stay humble, but I have to talk because you guys talk too much"

Cheeseball
Cheeseball
  • Predictions:  13,293  |  71.5%
  • Forum Posts:  5,943
  • Post Score: 247

05.19.2022 | 8:44 PM ET

@Gregory

You're doing a great job on this site and I can't wait to see those big improvements you mentioned. A lot of site owners act like they're above talking to their consumers and listening to their feedback so its much appreciated that you do.

"🌽⚽️"

Page 366

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : ‘MMA Media Hates Me,’ Ronda Rousey Reacts To Career Backlash & ‘How Happily Everybody Turned’ On UFC Star
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: It PAYS To Be King
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Reveals His ‘Crazy’ Behavior Was a Publicity Stunt Planned Months in Advance
  • MMA Mania : ‘99.9%’ Chance Edwards Vs. Muhammad 2 Happens At UFC 304
  • MMA Junkie : The 10 largest UFC attendances in history
  • MMA Mania : ‘MMA Media Hates Me, It’s Fine’
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Doubles Down On Callout For Alex Pereira Rematch At UFC 301: ‘I Think I Deserve It’
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Goes Off On Logan Paul For Child Trafficking Comments, Claims He Will ‘Destroy’ Paul In Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway's coach breaks down matchup against 'oversized bantamweight' Ilia Topuria
  • MMAFighting.com : Lyoto Machida ‘already breathing fire’ after Luke Rockhold callout, interested in Karate Combat rematch
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Crazy That Something Like This Is Happening At This Level’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev's coach: 'Biggest threat' Justin Gaethje no longer in UFC title picture
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: De La Hoya talks next steps for Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: Oscar De La Hoya talks next steps for Ryan Garcia
  • MMA Mania : Double Champ Islam Next? ‘I Already Beat All These Guys’
  • MMAFighting.com : Justin Gaethje: It’ll be ‘6 months, at least, before I get back to taking shots’ after UFC 300 loss
  • MMA Junkie : Manon Fiorot open to Maycee Barber fight – but only if interim UFC flyweight title at stake
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan fires back at Michael Chandler: 'You are just waiting for a paycheck'
  • MMAFighting.com : Islam Makhachev not interested in Max Holloway matchup: ‘Maybe if he wins his next fight’
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: How much credit does Ryan Garcia deserve for beating Devin Haney?