Topic: ShoBox:The Next Generation

ShoBox:The Next Generation

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,996
  • Post Score: 47

12.16.2020 | 10:36 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
Bout   Info
(Boxing)   Mykquan Williams  defeats  Yeis Solano via Decision, Unanimous   10 Rounds, 30:00 Total Bout Page
(Boxing)   Jose Nunez  vs.  Aram Avagyan Ends in a Draw, Majority   8 Rounds, 24:00 Total Bout Page

Responses

2020.12.16 10:37 PM ET

bout announced

Patrick Cora vs. Hurshidbek Normatov
2020.12.16 10:39 PM ET

bout announced

Yeis Solano vs. Mykquan Williams
2020.12.16 10:40 PM ET

bout announced

Jose Nunez vs. Aram Avagyan
2020.12.16 10:41 PM ET

bout announced

Pedro Marquez vs. Martino Jules
2021.01.08 11:06 AM ET

bout status update

Cora vs. Normatov Changed from Confirmed to Cancelled
Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry
  • Predictions:  41,304  |  69.2%
  • Forum Posts:  7,311
  • Post Score: 285

01.11.2021 | 6:15 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 1 of 2 Winners, 1 Perfect, 75 Points   |   Tied for 1st with 65 others

Solano vs. Williams
Mykquan Williams, DEC
This should be a close fight! Both can box and both can bang, definitely worth keeping an eye on this fight!

Nunez vs. Avagyan
Aram Avagyan, DEC
Another great fight! This is looking like it's gonna be a very entertaining card!

Marquez vs. Jules
Pedro Marquez, TKO, R7
3 evenly matched fights on a single card is a rare thing in boxing! I'm looking forward to this event!

"I wish you good luck but I don't want you to rely on luck"

Mikey1903
Mikey1903
  • Predictions:  48,835  |  73.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,117
  • Post Score: 300

01.11.2021 | 11:12 PM ET

Predictions: 0 of 2 Winners, 0 Perfect, 0 Points   |   Tied for 85th

These ShoBox Next Generation cards are 1 of my favourite shows. Every event has young prospects facing off in an attempt to move onto Championship level. Some boxers who have made their name on these shows include Andre Ward, Deontay Wilder, Gervonta Davis, Tim Bradley Shawn Porte, TThe Charlo Twins, Claressa Shields, Devin Haney even young Brits Tyson Fury and Carl Froch fought on ShoBox Next Gen shows as youngsters! So it's a great place to discover future Champs. Well worth watching and, like you said, a rare thing in boxing to see see proper 50/50 fights fill out a boxing card!

"Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe ****! "

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry
  • Predictions:  41,304  |  69.2%
  • Forum Posts:  7,311
  • Post Score: 285

01.12.2021 | 10:37 AM ET

Predictions: 1 of 2 Winners, 1 Perfect, 75 Points   |   Tied for 1st with 65 others

@Mikey1903

Cool, thanks for the info! I'll definitely be keeping an eye on their events going forward.

"I wish you good luck but I don't want you to rely on luck"

Meers222
Meers222
  • Predictions:  18,234  |  65.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2,587
  • Post Score: 211

01.12.2021 | 10:48 AM ET

The normal broadcast crew for these is great as well imo. Super informative and knowledgeable about the sport and the fighters. Also, since they've done it together for as long as I have ever caught these shows they work really well together.

"If it's not a challenge, it isn't fun enough."

2021.01.17 7:32 PM ET

event start time updated

From Wednesday, January 20 at 12:00am ET to Wednesday, January 20 at 9:00pm ET
a***
a***
  • Predictions:  1,187  |  77.9%
  • Forum Posts:  93
  • Post Score: 201

01.20.2021 | 5:10 AM ET

Solano vs. Williams:    Making his super lightweight debut after campaigning primarily at 135 pounds over his first 15 professional fights, Solano (15-0, 10 KOs) returns to ShoBox to face the first undefeated fighter of his career. Solano, 28, who fights for Paco Presents Boxing, was impressive on the amateur boxing circuit in his native Colombia, notching a 118-12 record prior to turning professional in 2015. Fighting primarily in Colombia as a professional, the southpaw made his U.S. debut on ShoBox in June 2019 against Elias Damian Araujo, who he handed just his second career loss via split decision.   “I am excited to be back on ShoBox,” said Solano. “Training this time has been a bit different, due to the pandemic, however, we are training very hard and preparing for a battle. I know my opponent will do the same, so expect a war.”   Solano will face his toughest test yet when he meets Williams (15-0-1, 7 KOs) who was featured in Ring Magazine’s “New Faces” column in 2019, which highlights the sport’s rising prospects. The 22-year-old was an amateur standout, earning three Ringside Championships and a Silver Gloves Championship in his home state of Connecticut. Williams is a natural super lightweight and is coming off a hard-fought majority draw against Tre’Sean Wiggins.     “I’m excited about this fight and am looking forward to showcasing my skills on a major platform like ShoBox,” said Williams. “I’m expecting Solano to be in great shape, but I will be ready. Thank you to DiBella Entertainment for getting me this opportunity.” 

Nunez vs. Avagyan:    Hailing from Curundu, Panama, Nunez (11-0-1, 4 KOs) turned pro in 2016 and has built a solid resume en route to his U.S. debut on ShoBox on January 20. Nunez started boxing at 10 years old and competed in 45 amateur fights in Panama. In his last fight, the southpaw conquered Francisco Martinez via unanimous decision in Panama City, handing the tough Mexican fighter his second professional loss. Only 22 years old, Nunez is promoted by Sampson Boxing and has garnered buzz from many boxing insiders during his professional ascension.    “I am incredibly happy to be able to fight outside my country, with an opponent that will demand my best,” said Nunez. “Nevertheless, I have no doubt of my preparations and I have faith that I will be victorious. A victory will open many doors for me in the United States.”   Fighting under the Salita Promotions banner, Avagyan (10-0-1, 4 KOs) returns to ShoBox for the second time after surviving two early knockdowns in his debut against then-unbeaten Dagoberto Aguero in the last ShoBox telecast before the COVID-19 pandemic shut down the sports world for several months in March 2020. Born and raised in Yerevan, Armenia, and now residing in California, Avagyan is a decorated amateur with more than 300 fights. He captured two Bronze Medals at the European Championships and represented Armenia at the 2016 Summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro. The 29-year-old has faced undefeated fighters in his past three bouts.   “For every fighter, being able to show their skills, character, heart and fighting spirit on SHOWTIME is a goal, a dream and a great honor,” said Avagyan. “I want to convey to the fans that this will be a spectacular battle. I am hungry. I want to get in the ring and fight like a warrior!”  

Jules vs. Medina:   Fighting out of his hometown of Allentown, Pa., Martino Jules (10-0, 2 KOs) is making his ShoBox debut as he continues to rise in the featherweight rankings. In his 90 amateur bouts, the southpaw won 75 fights prior to hitting the professional ranks in 2016. In his last fight, Jules, 23, beat the betting favorite Aleen Jumakhonov via majority decision in Las Vegas.    “I’m very excited to showcase my talent on SHOWTIME,” said Jules. “My opponent is world ranked by WBO so I’m expecting a tough fight. I’m very grateful for my manager Trifon Petrov, Marshall Kauffman and Sampson Lewkowicz for giving me the opportunity to fight on SHOWTIME. I view this fight as a step up which is all I want at this point in my career but it’s also a fight where I can learn what I have to strengthen for myself and also in my future training camps. I have no doubt that I will win this fight, I’m only focused on coming to fight night as the best version of myself.”      Living and training in his hometown of San Juan, Puerto Rico, Medina (12-1, 8 KOs) enters this fight as the more experienced professional fighter. In 2018, Medina bested Felix Caraballo, handing him his first professional loss. In January 2020, the 26-year-old captured the WBA NABO featherweight title via third-round technical knockout over Juan Carlos Pena who was 30-1.   “I’m very grateful for the opportunity to fight on SHOWTIME and in the United States for the first time,” said Medina. “My job is to train hard and meet the demands of my trainer Ricky Márquez. My opponent is good; he has solid boxing skills and throws a lot of punches, but I have no doubt that after this fight, many more opportunities will arise for me.”   International Boxing Hall of Famer Barry Tompkins will call the action from ringside with fellow Hall of Famer and boxing historian Steve Farhood and former world champion Raul Marquez serving as expert analysts. The executive producer is Gordon Hall with Richard Gaughan producing and Rick Phillips directing.  

IT IS NOT I WRITTEN, IT IS BIG PHONEY!!!!

* Edited at 01.20.2021, 5:15 AM ET *

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

01.20.2021 | 10:40 AM ET

This guys a PHONEY!!! A GREAT BIG PHONEY!!!!

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

01.20.2021 | 10:42 AM ET

Mikey1903
Mikey1903

01.20.2021 | 10:42 AM ET

I hope you know that I am only joking my man

* Edited at 01.20.2021, 10:49 AM ET *

2021.01.20 4:21 PM ET

bout status update

Marquez vs. Jules Changed from Confirmed to Cancelled
a***
a***

01.20.2021 | 4:24 PM ET

Featherweight Pedro Marquez is unable to participate in his scheduled eight-round showdown tonight against Martino Jules due to illness. 
The telecast will proceed as a two-fight card beginning at 9 p.m. ET/PT and is headlined by Yeis Solano (15-0, 10 KOs) making his super lightweight debut against the first undefeated fighter of his career in East Hartford, Conn.’s Mykquan Williams (15-0-1, 7 KOs). The co-feature has Panama’s unbeaten Jose Nunez (11-0-1, 4 KOs) facing decorated amateur Aram Avagyan (10-0-1, 4 KOs) in an eight-round super featherweight match-up.
2021.01.21 4:35 AM ET

bout result

Jose Nunez vs. Aram Avagyan ends in a Draw
2021.01.21 4:35 AM ET

bout result

Mykquan Williams defeats Yeis Solano via 10 Round Decision
a***
a***

01.21.2021 | 10:39 AM ET

"Marvelous"

The old saying “life isn’t fair” is a reality that we’ve all had to deal with at some point, but most haven’t had to experience that sad certainty as early as boxer Mykquan Williams.

Williams (15-0-1, 7 KOs) is readying to make his national boxing television debut on Showtime’s ShoBox on Wednesday, Jan. 20. The 22-year-old from East Hartford, CT, never had things easy, but his optimistic view of life and tremendous support network are propelling him towards achieving his goals as a boxer.

When Williams was only eight days old, his father was murdered. He was robbed of a vital relationship that so many of us take for granted. As a baby, Williams’ mother and stepfather cared for and nurtured him, but his biological father’s absence was painful for Williams growing up.

“It was difficult,” Williams told FanSided. “It was real, real disturbing that I just knew of my biological father and not actually knew him, himself.”

Williams’ learned more about his father as he got older. His mother told him more as he aged. Williams would also hear stories from friends in the neighborhood, which helped him better process his father’s loss.

“When I run into people a lot of the times that knew my father, I’ll always hear stories about him and stuff like that,” said Williams. “So that makes me feel good. That’s pretty cool. You can say his legacy is still living on just from being the guy he was around his hometown.”

As cruel as life can be, it’s also filled with good-natured people who inspire and love unconditionally. Williams tragically lost his father as an infant, but his mother, stepfather, and many others nourished Williams with hopes, dreams, and guidance.

Williams’ aunt Adelita Irizarry introduced him to boxing. The Ring described that anecdote.

“When he [Williams] was seven years old, his aunt, a professional boxer who fought Cecilia Braekhus in 2008, took him to a boxing show,” wrote The Ring.

Mykquan Williams is poised to make his mark on boxing when he fights Yeis Gabriel Solano in the ShoBox main event
His aunt’s passion for boxing rubbed off on Williams as a child, and he asked to start training. She connected Williams with trainer Paul Cichon who has been in his corner ever since. In the over 15 years that they’ve been together, Cichon has transcended a boxing trainer’s role. There’s a love and trust present not found in most trainer-fighter relationships.

While talking to FanSided, Williams described Cichon as “a father figure.”

“[Cichon is] someone I can just go to about anything, talk to him about anything, ask him whatever, tell him anything,” said Williams. “He’s a father figure, best friend, all in one. I’ve been around him since young since seven going on eight. He was always there, always knew everything about me. Since the beginning though, he’s always treated me like one of his.”

Williams found success as an amateur under Cichon’s guidance, and Williams caught the eye of promoter Lou DiBella and famed boxing manager Jackie Kallen. Williams has known Kallen since he was a 13-year-old amateur. Her discovery and time with James Toney is well documented, and was the subject matter of the 2004 film Against the Ropes. Kallen felt like a natural fit to be Williams’ manager when he turned professional. She brings more than boxing knowledge to the table.

“It’s always positive,” said Williams. “She’s always giving me advice when it comes to business stuff and financial stuff. There’s a life after boxing, obviously. And some of the stuff she tells me is great information that I can take with me afterwards.”

With everything falling into place, Williams is ready to put his boxing skills on display for the world to see. Williams’ opponent Yeis Gabriel Solano (15-0, 10 KOs) is the toughest test of his career. Solano is a hard-punching fighter from Colombia who presents a stiff challenge. Williams knows that a good showing could snowball into more opportunities, but he’s taking the pressure in stride.

“It’ll open a lot of doors and eyes in the boxing world toward me,” said Willaims. “We don’t expect anything, but I know that putting on a great performance would definitely open a lot of eyes and doors for me in the future.”

Williams’ road hasn’t been easy, but he’s in a good place because of the love and help from those in his inner circle. His heart, positivity, and fists will do the rest.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Elijah Dorsey To Challenge Max Hanson For Welterweight Title At Enigma Invitational 15
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings