Tapology Forums

UFC Fighters at risk of being cut

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

vertisol soil
vertisol soil
  • Predictions:  3,217  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 400

12.06.2020 | 9:35 PM ET

Dana White said in response to the release of Yoel Romero that at least 60 fighters in addition will be removed from the roster in the next coming weeks. What are your predictions?
Based on last night I would say Gian Villante and Matt Wiman for sure.

* Edited at 12.06.2020, 9:37 PM ET *

Responses

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,536
  • Post Score: 262

12.07.2020 | 12:28 AM ET

I bet they cut alot of the good fighter and kept all the bums who fight for 10k because UFC fan including myself would pay money to watch Geese fight

"Quack quack quack"

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

12.07.2020 | 12:50 AM ET

Not a good sign. 60 fighters isn't exactly a haircut and they're clearly not doing great.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, and 14 minutes from now.
PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,957  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

12.07.2020 | 1:12 AM ET

I hope they cut people with losing records in the company and don't make more BS cuts like Romero, but they'll probably make more BS cuts.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

12.07.2020 | 1:27 AM ET

This is unlikely. More likely vets will be cut as they are expensive to retain due to pay scaling being cumulative.  Guys like Swanson, Rua etc. It's probably going to be about draw value more than wins/losses on records elsewhere. Probably a lot of the guys who have been around forever like Cerrone will get a  Golden handshake type deal and get something like a redundancy payment. They're due to bow out anyway really. UFC does trim the fat every year but yeah, 60 is a big number.

Piracy is probably a big part of this. I was surprised to learn that a pirate streaming service that pretty much only publishes Boxing and MMA streams gets more traffic than the UFC website itself and any other MMA related site. That's on top of Covid and no gate sales offseting payments. ****'s probably very lean. Really UFC maintains market dominance by signing up pretty much all the talent...they kind of salt the Earth and it's very tough for would-be promotions to get off the ground accordingly. Pretty much all the other promotions we have now are really just glorified feeder promotions for UFC anyway. It works, but it's only sustainable to have a hugely bloated roster as long as consistent money keeps rolling in week-to-week.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, and 14 minutes from now.
Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,103  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,250
  • Post Score: 190

12.07.2020 | 9:58 AM ET

60 fighters cut means they probably dont hold show every saturday in 2021 :(

HW: Illir Latifi, Yorgan De Castro, Jeff Hughes, Juan Adams
LHW: Tyson Pedro, Ghadzimurad Antigulov, Darko Stosic, Justin Ledet, 
MW: Alessio DI CHirico, Deron winn, Marc-André Bariault(not re-sign), Trevor Smith, John Phillips, Charles Byrd(maybe its already done), Alen Amedovski, 
WW: Robie Lawler, Laureano Staropoli, Emil Meek(already done?), Court Mcgee, Rhys Mckee, Cole williams, Hector ALdana, Rostem Akman. I think Woodley is one lost away to being cut and Cerrone soon receive the retirement talk like Silva or Weidman had, 
LW: Yancy Medeiros, Joe Duffy, Matt Wiman, kevin Aguillar, Jessin Ayari, Dung Ma
FW: Jeremy Stephens, Mirsa Bektic, nad Narimani, kyle bochniak, 
BW: Raphael Assuncao, Journey Newson, Martin Day, Mark de la rosa(already cut?), Aiemann Zahabi if he lose,
FLW: Jussier Formiga, Bruno Silva, 

WB: Ashley Evans Smith
WFL: Andrea Lee(if she lose next week-end), Rachael Ostovich, Lauren Mueller (already cut?), 
WS: Karolina Kowalkiewichz, Felice Herrig, hannah ciffers, 

* Some of the MW could be invited to next TUFF
**Latifi, Lawler, Stephens, Assunca, Formiga are big names (ranked guy) but they are all old, on bad loosing streak, and earning bigger salarry then guy who kick their ass.
***Making this list was lot longer then expeted!

"Never go down without a fight"

Hippie
Hippie

12.07.2020 | 10:14 AM ET

Damn that’s a lot cut & lets hope they have a show every weekend or that would majorly suck!
NickySwaz
NickySwaz
  • Predictions:  2,790  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  941
  • Post Score: 298

12.07.2020 | 10:30 AM ET

@hyrm a few of those people you mentioned are gone. I think Stephens should stay

"“What happened to you, USA? Wake up, USA! Go! Go back for you, go! Go for Jesus. No forgay Jesus people." -Yoel Romero"

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,536
  • Post Score: 262

12.07.2020 | 1:48 PM ET

It would honestly hurt a lot to see Robbie get cut, I think they cut a few more of the fighter they sign during Corona

"Quack quack quack"

Hyrm
Hyrm

12.07.2020 | 3:20 PM ET

Stephens & Lawler are fun to watch but

Lawler 38years old lost 4 in a row Career Disclosed Earnings: $3,709,940 USD
Stephens 34years old lost 4 in a row probably top 5 higher pay check in is weight class

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,252  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,242
  • Post Score: 137

12.07.2020 | 3:47 PM ET

Not a terrible idea cut some and give them a shot at Tuf for a comeback series probably not gonna happen but would be an option.
Cutting Robbie is ******** he has huge fan base and mostly lost too top tier and one bs fake sub.
Otherwise cut away new blood is good, but firing former champs and cult heroes is bad business.
Unpopular opinion they should fire the 30 or so unwanted Russian and other sov bloc ****s they picked up with kbob.

"Weasel Piss *********" Dan Hooker

Max2200
Max2200
  • Predictions:  457  |  53.8%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: 193

12.07.2020 | 5:05 PM ET

Yoel was 1-4 in his last 5. that's a losing record to me. plus, he could/would beat contender Noname "next thing" prospect.

"Join the Karate Combat Fans forum if you like Karate Combat."

Hyrm
Hyrm

12.07.2020 | 5:07 PM ET

Now hat khabib is now yeah they should cut many russian decisionator that we dont give a ****.

Maybe they will set Woodley-Lawler 2 as a fight for you're job bout.

* Edited at 12.07.2020, 5:08 PM ET *

Max2200
Max2200
  • Predictions:  457  |  53.8%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: 193

12.07.2020 | 5:16 PM ET

Solution

take 8 fighters from every division, tournament style eliminations, lose, you are out. No. 1, 2, and 3 survive. 5 leave, 12 division times five = 60, case closed. Who do you think the fighters should be? by division?  
P.S. if you fight in the UFC, Get your finances in order. this might be you next.   

"Join the Karate Combat Fans forum if you like Karate Combat."

vertisol soil
vertisol soil
  • Predictions:  3,217  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 400

12.07.2020 | 5:20 PM ET

Heavyweight: Stefan Struve, Gian Villante, Raphael Pessoa, Chris De La Rocha, Yorgan De Castro, Marcos Rogerio de Lima, Roque Martinez

Light Heavyweight: Shogun Rua, Klidson Abreau, 

Middleweight: Trevor Smith, Alessio De Chrico, Jack Marshman, Saparbek Safarov, Adam Yandiev, Alen Amedoovski, Markus Perez

Welterweight: Diego Sanchez, Erik Koch, Siyar Bahadurzada, Brad Scott, Mickey Gall, Anthony Ivy, Rhys Mckee, Emil Meek

Lightweight: Matt Wiman, Alex White, Alexander Yakovlev, Teemu Packalan, Joaquim Silva, Chris Gruetzemacher, Jessin Ayari, Davi Ramos, Frank Camacho, Alex Reyes, Alex Da Silva, Mike Davis, Rodrigo Vargas, Jamie Mullarkey, Brook Weaver, Yancey Medeiros

Featherweight: Thomas Almeida, Daniel Teymur, Danny Henry, Matt Sayles, Kyle Nelson, Chris Fishgold, Vince Morales, Suman Mokhtarian, Jordan Griffin,T.J. Brown, 

Bantamweight: Eddie Wineland, Johnny Eduardo, Mitch Gagnon, Ryan Benoit, Frankie Saenz, Guido Canetti, Luke Sanders, Kwan Ho Kwak, Bharat Khandare, Mark De La Rosa, Martin Day, Geraldo de Freitas, Felipe Colares, Journey Newson, Gabriel Silva, Domingo Pilarte, Ali Alquaisi, 

Flyweight: Bruno Silva, Malcolm Gordon

Women's Bantamweight: Sarah Moras, Ashlee Evans-Smith, Veronica Macedo, Vanessa Melo

Women's Flyweight: Justine Kish, Ji Yeon Kim, Rachel Ostovich, Priscila Cachoeira

Women's Strawweight: Jessica Penne, Randa Markos, Alex Chambers, Aleksandra Albu, Syuri Kondo, Hannah Cifers

Source: List of Current UFC Fighters on Wikipedia

Probably some other shockers if they cut Yoel Romero...most of these are mid and lower level fighters

* Edited at 12.07.2020, 5:22 PM ET *

Hyrm
Hyrm

12.07.2020 | 5:23 PM ET

@vertisol talented wise you're list is good but I think UFC look at the sallary and age when choosing who they cut.  

TWJake
TWJake
  • Predictions:  6,091  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  2,492
  • Post Score: 338

12.08.2020 | 1:44 AM ET

As much as it pains me to say it i doubt Arlovski is gonna be on the roster much longer, His current contract is like 300k show

"I know many a troops that I visit when I went to Iraq in 2005... 2-uh excuse me in 19-or.. 05' 06' 07' 08' 09' 2010 2011. I went from the Korwaiten border! All the way up to the Turkish border!" -Tito Ortiz

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

12.08.2020 | 1:52 AM ET

^ Yep. He's expensive and not a big draw in 2020. 
PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,957  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

12.08.2020 | 3:04 AM ET

IDK, Arlovski's already been on some big ass losing streaks and been kept on. Now that he's been winning lately it'd be weird to get rid of him.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

Hyrm
Hyrm

12.08.2020 | 8:13 AM ET

He can be cut on a win unless is contract expired. Dana prize him after last win even if it was boring.

* Edited at 12.08.2020, 8:13 AM ET *

Hyrm
Hyrm

12.08.2020 | 2:50 PM ET

cant*

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video, results