Tapology Forums

Have you ever stopped MMA - or know anyone who has?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

HarryRobbo
HarryRobbo
  • Predictions:  8  |  37.5%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 167

11.29.2020 | 8:03 AM ET

I'm interested to talk to someone who may have fallen out of love with mixed martial arts at any point. There seems to be a trend in that fighting and training mixed martial arts is so insanely addictive - making you feel invincible - and very few fighters at any level seem to stop before being forced to stop due to injury etc. Was wondering if anyone had any evidence to prove otherwise?

Cheers

Responses

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry
  • Predictions:  41,304  |  69.2%
  • Forum Posts:  7,311
  • Post Score: 285

11.29.2020 | 11:23 AM ET

@HarryRobbo

I never really took up combat sports as a kid (not outside of the boxing we learnt at school anyway) but one of my mates did Karate from about 5 up until he was about 13 or 14 when he stopped because he wanted to dedicate more time on his other hobbies that he was more passionate about (mainly car mechanics). To be fair, this seemed to work out for him as he's a mechanic now and can still throw some nasty kicks.

"I wish you good luck but I don't want you to rely on luck"

Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,115  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,255
  • Post Score: 189

11.29.2020 | 2:00 PM ET

I stopped some years ago. MMA training is hard on the body. Always feel pain in back, neck...

Also, In MMA you put a lot of ennergy in trianing before competing. In sport teams like hockey you're game is you're training and just by playing you become better. I also think the satisfaction of winning as a team is higer then winning individual effort.

As a fan I still prefer MMA to other sport and I dont think it could ever change.

"Never go down without a fight"

HarryRobbo
HarryRobbo
  • Predictions:  8  |  37.5%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 167

11.30.2020 | 8:41 AM ET

What was the tipping point that led you to stop?
Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,115  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,255
  • Post Score: 189

11.30.2020 | 10:30 AM ET

Tthere was not an exact breaking point. I had not enough time to play hockey and train MMA and I decide to stop MMA.

The social impact could have been the difference. My training partner were people I met when training MMA, and my hockey teams are mostly long time friend. If my friends have trained MMA with me for year it could have been different. Many tried but stopped after 3 months maximum. I trained for 3 years

* Edited at 11.30.2020, 10:31 AM ET *

"Never go down without a fight"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez gets trial date in attempted murder case
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Love Dana White. There’s No Issues’