Topic: UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night: Blaydes vs. Lewis

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,814
  • Post Score: 47

11.16.2020 | 3:59 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC Fight Night
  • Saturday 02.20.2021 at 05:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: ESPN+
  • Name: UFC Fight Night: Blaydes vs. Lewis
  • Also Known As: UFC Vegas 19
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: UFC APEX
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Brendan Fitzgerald, Michael Bisping
  • Ring Announcer: Joe Martinez
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Michael Bisping
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Derrick Lewis   defeats   Curtis Blaydes   via KO/TKO, Uppercut   1:26 Round 2 of 5, 6:26 Total Bout Page
Yana Santos   defeats   Ketlen Vieira   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Darrick Minner   defeats   Charles Rosa   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Chris Daukaus   defeats   Aleksei Oleinik   via KO/TKO, Knees and Punches (standing TKO)   1:55 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Phil Hawes   defeats   Nassourdine Imavov   via Decision, Majority   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Tom Aspinall   defeats   Andrei Arlovski   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   1:09 Round 2 of 3, 6:09 Total Bout Page
Jared Gordon   defeats   Danny Chavez   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
John Castañeda   defeats   Eddie Wineland   via KO/TKO, Punches   4:44 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Julian Erosa   defeats   Nate Landwehr   via KO/TKO, Flying Knee   0:56 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Casey O'Neill   defeats   Shana Dobson   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   3:41 Round 2 of 3, 8:41 Total Bout Page
Aiemann Zahabi   defeats   Drako Rodriguez   via KO/TKO, Overhand Right   3:05 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Serghei Spivac   defeats   Jared Vanderaa   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   4:32 Round 2 of 3, 9:32 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 5

Tieoken
Tieoken
  • Predictions:  1,977  |  59.0%
  • Forum Posts:  3,620
  • Post Score: 313

02.16.2021 | 10:39 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 978th

Tapology is also favoring Oleinik despite Daukaus being a big favorite odds wise. It's not uncommon for Tapology to go against the mould. Usually it's with fighters that are veterans vs prospects. Sometimes it's irrational on our end (we love the fighter) sometimes the bookies are irrational (thinking an untested prospect is good.)

The perfect example of this is how Aspinall is HUGE favorite over Arlovski and the KO prop favored too despite Aspinall's subpar record and Arlovski's vastly superior one. But hey, I'm still picking Aspinall, so maybe I'm ******** too.

"I’m here to snatch necks and cash checks" - Darrick Minner

depmode33
depmode33
  • Predictions:  248  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  1,383
  • Post Score: 183

02.16.2021 | 11:47 AM ET

You know the Daukaus thing.  I wrote him off before the Porter fight and also the Nascimento fight.  I watched his fights before the UFC and I told myself this guy isn't anything special.  This guy has surprised me with how quick and efficient his striking is.  He is now fighting another high level BJJ guy who can get knocked out much like Nascimento did.  The only thing with Oleinik is that he has faced much stronger strikers than Daukaus before but his age might also be catching up to him. I will put one unit on Daukaus by TKO for this one.

As far as Emmers and Skelly go, I don't see why Emmers is such a big favorite.  They are both relatively unknown and have similar records.  I will put half a unit on Skelly via submission for a nice payout.

Aspinall is a great fighter.  I love his composure and the power in his hands.  But like you said, unproven fighters should never be big favorites ever.  I literally got my soul ripped out of me when Vieira got tapped out by Hernandez and I swore to never bet a big favorite ever again who was unproven.  

* Edited at 02.16.2021, 11:59 AM ET *

Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,126  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,131
  • Post Score: 333

02.16.2021 | 12:01 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 215 Points   |   Tied for 2997th

Also in unusual cases. Bookies wont always have the most likely winner as the favorite. Just like if you see someone put huge money on the underdog, the bookies tighten the margin because they cannot survive that huge of a hit. So if a fighter is popular or the masses of drones of fans start putting large amounts of money on the lease likely to win fighter, he can now become the betting favorite. Money can indicate the favorite rather than skill.

The same way UFC raises red flags for fixed fights and starts investigations. -400 fighter has huge money placed on his opponent at +350 right before a fight. Odds shift dramatically. Investigation is automatic for odds shift.

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

depmode33
depmode33

02.16.2021 | 12:07 PM ET

I have to thank everyone here for opening my eyes to opportunities on cards.  I learned the hard way before finding this website.  This site is bookmarked forever for me.   

RangerJW
RangerJW
  • Predictions:  3,058  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  434
  • Post Score: 348

02.16.2021 | 1:41 PM ET

Zahabi v Rodriguez

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 300 Points   |   Tied for 2083rd

This fight is a little more nuanced than it looks on paper. Professionally, Zahabi and Rodriguez have similar records, each with a KO loss and the same number of finishes. However, Rodriguez has much more combat experience if you include his amateur fights (13 total) and the fact that he’s had pro boxing experience. Rodriguez has also won his last three while Zahabi is on a two-fight skid (one of which was a devastating KO). I don’t want to pump up Rodriguez too much, though, since one of his more recent opponents who took him the distance was 6-13 at the time. Stylistically, Zahabi isn’t very dynamic. He has a good right feint-left jab-right uppercut combination and uses his jab and kicks to establish range. He also has decent scrambles and has punctuated moments of aggression. Otherwise, he keeps his head on the center line with little foot movement and waits for his opponents to make mistakes coming in. As a result, he’s a relatively low volume fighter. He does keep his hands high, though, which makes it harder for his opponents to inflict damage and makes them more likely to try to take him down, which they do. Zahabi’s takedown defense isn’t great and he frequently ends up on his back. To his credit, he hasn’t been subbed yet, but I think that speaks more to the quality of opposition rather than his skill level. Technically, I’d say that Rodriguez has had the better quality opponents throughout his amateur and pro career (though not by much). He has decent leg kicks and counters his opponents kicks fairly well. He also has good submissions and a good eye for when to transition from one sub attempt to another. (That triangle sub he got on Mana Martinez was during a scramble and showed that he has a good feel for timing.) I think Rodriguez has more tools than Zahabi, and I think he has the slight speed advantage as well. He should also be able to catch Zahabi’s range-establishing kicks and shoot for the takedown. I think Zahabi ends up on his back early, and if he doesn’t get subbed, he’ll get out pointed by the busier and quicker Rodriguez. Rodriguez by sub or dec.

Tieoken
Tieoken

02.16.2021 | 1:53 PM ET

To be fair, that 6-13 guy also went to decisions and hung in there with great fighters. Several UFC fighters, DWCS alumnus, and rising prospects including undefeated Richard Palencia, Fernando Padilla (subbed Darrick Minner), Patchy Mix (bellator title-challenger), Kevin Natividad (UFC now), Chase Gibson (DWCS), Dwight Joseph (DWCS), Anderson Dos-Santos (UFC), Jamall Emmers (UFC).

Went to decision with Anderson Dos Santos, got taken out late in the third by Patchy Mix. I think he's just a tough ******* customer.

Also, I think the only advantage Zahabi has in this fight is his grappling, I'll be very surprised if this is a sub. I expect an early KO or decision for Drako.

* Edited at 02.16.2021, 1:54 PM ET *

RangerJW
RangerJW

02.16.2021 | 2:13 PM ET

Good points about the 6-13 guy. That's a hell of a schedule for a dude fighting on a regional circuit. 
RangerJW
RangerJW

02.16.2021 | 3:46 PM ET

Gordon v Chavez

Gordon looked good in his fight against Fishgold, especially after getting TKO’d by Charles Oliveira. In his last fight, Gordon showed good grappling and sub defense and demonstrated that he can do some damage from inside the guard. He has a good sprawl and good control on the ground, cuts off the cage, and puts a lot of power into his shots. Unfortunately, the latter makes him a bit slow for a featherweight. Gordon seems to struggle against fighters with speed and pressure, which was evident in his last three loses. Danny Chavez certainly has speed. He throws fast combinations and powerful kicks, which have the potential to do significant damage to Gordon’s lead leg given his wide stance. Chavez also has nasty counters. In his last fight, he made TJ Brown pay every time he came forward. While that fight went to a decision, there were plenty of times where Chavez had Brown visibly hurt. Gordon is 2-3 in his last 5, and all three loses were by T/KO. While Chavez isn’t Ferreira or Oliveira, he is comparable insofar as he’s a nightmare matchup for Gordon. I see Chavez catching Gordon early in a flurry. If it doesn’t put Gordon’s lights out, it’ll make it very difficult for him to recover and get the W. Chavez by KO or dec.

Tieoken
Tieoken

02.16.2021 | 5:12 PM ET

The Gordon v Chavez fight is going to be a good one. TJ Brown is a better wrestler than Gordon and Chavez took HIM down 4 times while keeping a 100% TDDefense. I really don't see a path to victory for Flash Gordon here. Chavez has seemed to evolve these last 4 years because the Chavez who lost to Aldic ain't here no more. I didn't expect much from Chavez initially, but now I wouldn't be surprised to see a number next to his name come 2022.

TARTARA
TARTARA
  • Predictions:  53,762  |  69.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,186
  • Post Score: 65

02.16.2021 | 5:38 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 200 Points   |   Tied for 3119th

FFFF

"KURZHAAR - Tomorrow Never Comes Until It's Too Late"

RangerJW
RangerJW

02.16.2021 | 6:21 PM ET

Klose v Pena

When this matchup was first announced, my initial thinking was that Klose would have it in the bag. Now, I’m not so sure. Klose probably has the striking advantage with quick and powerful combinations and heavy pressure. Pena has responded well to that in the past, though, like he did against Steve Garcia and Matt Frevola (I actually think Pena should have won against Frevola). Dariush also exposed several holes in Klose’s game, like how easily he gives up his back, which play to the strengths of Pena. For one, Pena is very good at securing advantageous positions (side control, mount, taking the back, etc.) once the fight goes to the fence or hits the ground. And I think it absolutely will go to the mat once Pena decides he doesn’t want to try to out-point the more aggressive and explosive striker in Klose. Both fighters have pretty decent cardio and should be equally fresh as the fight goes. However, Klose is the more emotional fighter, and he often overextends on his punches later in the fight. He also wears his frustration against opponents that give him problems. Against the taller and rangier Pena, this could open him up to counter punches or takedowns. Pena also makes fewer mistakes than Klose and should have more opportunities to exploit him throughout the fight. If Pena stays patient, uses his longer range to frustrate Klose, and then exploits his emotions to turn it into a grappling match, Pena can very well take it. I think he’ll do just that. Pena by dec.

Schwarzkopf
Schwarzkopf
  • Predictions:  1,861  |  55.1%
  • Forum Posts:  706
  • Post Score: 275

02.16.2021 | 7:58 PM ET

Predictions: 2 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 150 Points   |   Tied for 3391st

* Edited at 02.16.2021, 8:00 PM ET *

"Time is the enemy. "

Savosnip3z
Savosnip3z
  • Predictions:  50  |  40.0%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: 200

02.16.2021 | 10:45 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 1 of 2 Winners, 1 Perfect, 100 Points   |   Tied for 3501st

Blaydes vs. Lewis
Derrick Lewis, TKO, R2
The only reason why I am choosing Derrick Lewis in this bouts is for a number of reasons. The first thing that caught my eye was the value given to Lewis as an underdog. The second reason is his veteran knowledge and the time he has had to prepare for this fight; fight was rescheduled due to Blaydes being positive for COVID-19. This interruption is enough to give me Elmore confidence in Lewis ability to win here. He possesses the ability to knock anyone in the division with one punch and I am very confident he is going to take his time, trade heavy shots to discourage Blaydes from moving forward and make it difficult for the takedowns to occur. Blaydes has a better gas tank in my opinion here, but in a time where older veteran fighters are dominating with experience, im going to back Derrick Lewis to snipe a KO here.

Savosnip3z
Savosnip3z
  • Predictions:  50  |  40.0%
  • Forum Posts:  14
  • Post Score: 200

02.16.2021 | 10:50 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 1 of 2 Winners, 1 Perfect, 100 Points   |   Tied for 3501st

Erosa vs. Landwehr
Nate Landwehr, TKO, R1
Landwehr is a deadly striker who has fought in many different organizations including M-1 Global. He strikes with intention and his clinch game is solid as well. Erosa is a patient fighter; too patient for his own good. He is capable of sneaking some submissions from the clinch, but I believe Landwehr is gonna kill his morale with some solid strikes and no skewing Erosa ground game obsolete. I take Landwehr with confidence, first round KO

stuthehistoryguy
stuthehistoryguy
  • Predictions:  10,369  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  737
  • Post Score: 316

02.16.2021 | 10:54 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 1117th

I've got Blaydes, but I'm rooting for the Beast. Stamina could be an issue for Lewis, though: his balls get hot.

"I'm not on your side. I'm not on his side. I'm on the side or being right. - Richard Harrison Sr"

DelinquentMMA
DelinquentMMA
  • Predictions:  2,141  |  62.6%
  • Forum Posts:  278
  • Post Score: 229

02.16.2021 | 11:04 PM ET

Curtis Blaydes (-400) vs. Derrick Lewis (+310)

Predictions: 2 of 9 Winners, 0 Perfect, 100 Points   |   Tied for 3443rd

Personally I see this as, Curtis Blaydes being an easy one. Granted Derrick Lewis can be unpredictable at times. Blaydes is just overall a much more rounded fighter than Lewis. When Blaydes takes this fight to the ground it will be over, and he will take it to the ground. Curtis Blaydes averages 7 takedowns per a fight. Lewis is like a fish out of water when he is on the ground, even though I have noticed the improvement over the years.

"Delinquent MMA"

magestratu
magestratu
  • Predictions:  253  |  66.4%
  • Forum Posts:  126
  • Post Score: 149

02.17.2021 | 12:35 AM ET

Predictions: 2 of 3 Winners, 0 Perfect, 100 Points   |   Tied for 3443rd

@RangerJW what do you think of Dobson vs Oneill fight
From the intel that I have gathered till now I see dobson with a higher level of striking compared to O neill, if you watch O neil last fight her striking has improved a lot compared to her other fights that have been only months ago, but still Dobson has an edge on the standing part. When comes about going grappling it`s clear that O neil it`s way more better, to be honest I had doubts about O neil grappling skills because if you watch her oponents you can clearly see that she is bigger then them and I thought she is controling them with force, that untill I saw O neill vs Kristy Obst fight in wich she did a flyng triangle in round 2 minute 0:50, now if I watch dobson grappling skills there are none with 0% take down defence, of course all of the takedowns were made by tought oponents such as Sabina Mazo and Lauren Muller
My question is: Where do you think the fight is going to be, ground (will O neil have the ground control to keep Dobson down, because if they get up, I don`t have to tell you who`s going to win, you already know) or on the feet because dobson will tko her or she will get up every time when she will be put down and strike to win the fight
depmode33
depmode33

02.17.2021 | 3:50 AM ET

So many jiu jitsu artists on this card.  How many submissions do you think will happen?

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,536
  • Post Score: 262

02.17.2021 | 4:21 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 315 Points   |   Tied for 1800th

"Quack quack quack"

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry
  • Predictions:  41,211  |  69.2%
  • Forum Posts:  7,308
  • Post Score: 285

02.17.2021 | 4:39 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 405 Points   |   Tied for 625th

"I wish you good luck but I don't want you to rely on luck"

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video, results