Topic: Khabib Nurmagomedov

Khabib retires at 29-0... will it last?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,560
  • Post Score: 275

10.24.2020 | 5:11 PM ET

Unquestionably one of the GOATs.  We rarely see anyone retire at this age, on top of their game, and stay retired. 18 or 24 months from now when Khabib is more at peace with everything that's happened, will the competitive fire pull him back?

Part of me says it must. How can you be so competitive, so determined, to get to this level of excellence and perfection, and then just turn that switch off for the rest of your life?

"I live, I die, I live again."

Khabib "The Eagle" Nurmagomedov

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Khabib Nurmagomedov, Хабиб Нурмагомедов
  • Pro MMA Record: 29-0-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Eagle
  • Current Streak: 29 Wins
  • Last Fight: October 24, 2020 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Lightweight | Last Weigh-In: 155.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: American Kickboxing Academy
  • Height: 5'10" (178cm) | Reach: 70.0" (178cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $2,428,000 USD
  • Born: Makhachkala, Russian SFSR, Soviet Union
  • Fighting out of: San Jose, California
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

Thuesen408
Thuesen408
  • Predictions:  2,707  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  286
  • Post Score: 273

10.24.2020 | 5:20 PM ET

I think so.

I don't see him wanting money fights, enjoying the fame and trying to gain clout on twitter. He is a honest, humble man and wants the simple things in life. I want to see him retire in peace and teach the next generation of fighters. His career is Herculean effort, fought the best, and doesn't need the UFC anymore. Pound for pound king.

"Blood alone moves the wheels of history!"

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

10.24.2020 | 6:32 PM ET

Never gonna last.

Him and st.pierre both coming out of retirement angle without the belt. That's why he retired.
mmalari
mmalari
  • Predictions:  114,892  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,905
  • Post Score: 168

10.24.2020 | 6:34 PM ET

Greg, I don't think he will return. He will be in the care of his family and will enjoy his retirement with his family.
He is not the type of person moved by money, he is a familiar and humble type who will put his well-being and that of his family before the temptations of money.
I imagine he focused on his family and then training future stars at the Gymnasium named after his beloved father.
Hopefully 1% of UFC and other sports champions have the humility of this great man.
We'll see him helping Umar become a UFC champion ,,,, for sure.
Goodbye Khabib.
Gregory
Gregory

10.24.2020 | 8:09 PM ET

I don't think money would be the main motivator, I think he's an intense competitor. After a year or two of not competing, how will he be satisfied?

Brazilian Jitz
Brazilian Jitz
  • Predictions:  3,516  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,816
  • Post Score: 211

10.24.2020 | 8:09 PM ET

Life changes. He's coming back.

"Albert Fish... I mean that guy was a real jerk!"

WorstPredictionMan
WorstPredictionMan
  • Predictions:  1,156  |  35.6%
  • Forum Posts:  343
  • Post Score: 675

10.24.2020 | 9:43 PM ET

It will all depend on Mrs. Numagomedov. I think Khabib would return if and only if she changes her mind.

The UFC will stage an intervention for Khabib's mother. There's going to be an elite task force that includes Dana White, Joe Rogan, Conor McGregor, Tony Ferguson, Georges St-Pierre, Daniel Cormier, and Vladimir Putin that will do whatever it takes.

I think she'll allow for one more fight because Khabib's father always wanted Khabib to retire 30-0, but it can only be against Tony Ferguson and not anyone else because it's destiny. Until Khabib fights Tony, his career cannot come to an end.

Even if it takes forever.

"There goes WorstPredictionMan, the greatest predictor who ever lived."

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

10.25.2020 | 2:11 AM ET

@Greg I don't think so. He made a promise to his mother. Unless she releases him from it, that's the last we'll see of the greatest lightweight to ever enter the octagon.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 8 hours, and 3 minutes from now.
Hippie
Hippie

10.25.2020 | 9:22 AM ET

I don’t think so.

Love that picture @ Lari 
Gregory
Gregory

10.25.2020 | 9:22 AM ET

@fishrat but the whole thing makes no sense.

Understandably, the family is grieving and in sorrow. And I think it's testament to Khabib's character that he is showing this respect to his parents for now. But what generation of parents is like "if something were to happen to us, we don't want our kids to compete and continue with their lives. they should only do it if we can oversee it."

Abdulmanap Nurmagomedov reared and coached the ultimate badass. I can't fathom that he would not want his son to keep going. Otherwise what's the point of rearing the badass to begin with? And I can't imagine that Khabib, at his age, will never see another elite fighter out there he wants to test himself against.

* Edited at 10.25.2020, 9:23 AM ET *

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

10.25.2020 | 1:08 PM ET

He's Sufi. He won't break a vow. They're among the most devout people in the world.

Mama Nurmy will have to let him off the leash if we ever see him fight again.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 8 hours, and 3 minutes from now.
flying_frontkick
flying_frontkick
  • Predictions:  9,727  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  5,777
  • Post Score: 273

10.25.2020 | 1:22 PM ET

He's a real man, he will keep his word unless his mother grants him. It's part of the culture, something we don't have here in North America, respect for your family and your word. It's not out of the realm of possibility to come back, but I seriously doubt it. 

"For no particular reason beat up everyone"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : MMA promotion adds bonus inspired by Max Holloway's UFC 300 knockout, and it's pretty wild
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier: Michael Chandler 'not driving the sales' in Conor McGregor fight, unlikely to get PPV points
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul Lays Down $10 Million MMA Challenge to Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal: ‘I Want Either One’
  • MMA Mania : Garcia Misses Weight In Latest Circus Stunt
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia weigh-in video live now
  • Bad Left Hook : Charlo invokes right to Madrimov title fight
  • Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Renato Canuto vs Damon Morgan
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz sued by Rodney Petersen over 2023 New Orleans street fight
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz sued by 'Not Logan Paul' Rodney Petersen over 2023 New Orleans street fight
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Haney Vs Garcia Official Weigh Ins!
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz targeted in new Rodney Petersen lawsuit for New Orleans street brawl, Diaz rep responds
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia badly misses weight for Devin Haney fight
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘3 pounds is nothing stop crying’: Ryan Garcia, pros react to Garcia missing weight for Devin Haney showdown
  • Bad Left Hook : Ryan Garcia misses weight, will still fight Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Half-Mexican’ Costa Is Not A ‘Dirty’ Brazilian!
  • MMAFighting.com : Olympic champ David Taylor says ‘door is open’ for move to MMA; Daniel Cormier tells him ‘stick to wrestling’
  • UFC.com : Steve Erceg Hopes To Open Some Eyes
  • UFC.com : Julian Erosa's Monumental March
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 303 ticket prices: Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler could break promotion's gate record
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Snaps Back at Ilia Topuria Over BMF Title Demands: ‘That’s Kind of Un-BMF’