Topic: UFC Fight Night

UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs. Volkov

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,985
  • Post Score: 47

10.16.2020 | 10:28 AM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC Fight Night
  • Saturday 02.06.2021 at 05:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: ESPN+
  • Name: UFC Fight Night: Overeem vs. Volkov
  • Also Known As: UFC Vegas 18
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: UFC APEX
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Brendan Fitzgerald, Daniel Cormier, Dominick Cruz
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Daniel Cormier
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Alexander Volkov   defeats   Alistair Overeem   via KO/TKO, Cross-hook Combo   2:06 Round 2 of 5, 7:06 Total Bout Page
Cory Sandhagen   defeats   Frankie Edgar   via KO/TKO, Flying Knee   0:28 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Clay Guida   defeats   Michael Johnson   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Alexandre Pantoja   defeats   Manel Kape   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Beneil Dariush   defeats   Diego Ferreira   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Danilo Marques   defeats   Mike Rodriguez   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   4:52 Round 2 of 3, 9:52 Total Bout Page
Devonte Smith   defeats   Justin Jaynes   via KO/TKO, Doctor Stoppage (eye Injury)   3:38 Round 2 of 3, 8:38 Total Bout Page
Karol Rosa   defeats   Joselyne Edwards   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Lara Fritzen   defeats   Molly McCann   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Seung Woo Choi   defeats   Youssef Zalal   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Timur Valiev   defeats   Martin Day   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ode Osbourne   defeats   Jerome Rivera   via KO/TKO, Left Cross   0:26 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page

Responses Page 8

RangerJW
RangerJW
  • Predictions:  3,058  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  434
  • Post Score: 348

01.29.2021 | 11:07 AM ET

Smith v da Silva

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 555 Points   |   Tied for 338th

This is a really fun fight. da Silva definitely has the advantage in experience. He has good forward pressure both in the middle of the octagon and against the cage. He also has good takedowns, but since joining the UFC he hasn’t come out on top much in the scramble. He also succumbs to fatigue after about 1.5 rounds. Smith, though coming off a KO loss in the first round, has lots to like. He’s a setup fighter who throws a lot of feints to get his opponents to make mistakes, and he’s very good at capitalizing on those mistakes. (Smith’s last opponent just didn’t make any mistakes.) He also eats up his opponents’ lead leg with calf kicks, which will be very handy against da Silva who has a wide stance with a very vulnerable lead leg. Smith doesn’t get hit a lot (which leaves questions about the durability of his chin) and has a great fade away 1-2. For this fight, I see da Silva taking the center and using his aggressive striking to try to get close to Smith, all while eating leg kicks and counter punches. He may get Smith against the cage and make it a close first round, but I think fatigue and a beat up leg will set in and allow Smith to take advantage of the feints and his setup style of fighting. I see a Smith KO in the second or third round.

RangerJW
RangerJW
  • Predictions:  3,058  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  434
  • Post Score: 348

01.29.2021 | 4:24 PM ET

Johnson v Guida

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 555 Points   |   Tied for 338th

Johnson is a southpaw with fast hands and potential KO power (though he hasn’t had a KO finish since 2016). His volume and pace increase as the fight goes on, and he has a pretty decent sprawl in the middle of the cage. His take down defense against the fence is another story, and he’s proven to be pretty poor at getting back up once he gets taken down. And though his pace increases throughout the fight, his defense declines. Guida pushes the pace and has good takedowns against the cage. He also has a decent chin (hasn’t been KO’d since 2016) and has cardio for days. However, he’s incredibly susceptible to guillotine chokes. For this fight, I don’t see Johnson as a submission threat for Guida, and though he has power, I think Guida can take what Johnson has to offer. I see them engaging in the middle for the first three or four minutes with Johnson connecting with jabs. But eventually Guida will back him up and shoot off a few big hooks. He’ll get Johnson down and likely keep him there until the end of the round. I think the second round will look much the same, only Johnson will up the pace and pressure. Guida might start to shoot in the middle of the cage where Johnson has the best chance to sprawl and stay up. But since Johnson isn’t much of a guillotine threat, I see Guida shooting him to the fence with reckless abandon. To me, Johnson's best chance is to stay in the center where he can sprawl on Guida and set up combinations. I think this is unlikely, however, since in every one of his fights he manages to get backed up against the fence. Like his other outings, Johnson will find a way to lose this one. By the middle of the third round Guida will be on top and Johnson will resign himself to the smush (à la Stevie Ray). I see Guida winning by third round sub or decision.

2021.01.29 4:30 PM ET

bout status update

Arce vs. Valiev Changed from Confirmed to Cancelled
2021.01.29 4:31 PM ET

bout announced

Timur Valiev vs. Martin Day at 145 lbs (65.8 kg)
EthanM
EthanM
  • Predictions:  2,806  |  59.9%
  • Forum Posts:  285
  • Post Score: 226

01.29.2021 | 7:24 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 430 Points   |   Tied for 1449th

Valiev vs. Day
Timur Valiev, TKO, R2
See

"We fall, but we get back up because the ground is no place for a champion - Dustin Poirier"

Aric123
Aric123
  • Predictions:  1,414  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  322
  • Post Score: 251

01.29.2021 | 7:55 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 8 Winners, 1 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 2192nd

Valiev vs. Day
Timur Valiev, TKO, R1
This guy Valiev is a hammer vs a short notice opponent in Martin Day. I don’t see it going too many ways but should be a decent scrap to start the night off.

"“Who ain’t got Jiu Jitsuuu” "

PaypalMyMoney
PaypalMyMoney
  • Predictions:  814  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 320

01.30.2021 | 12:15 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 540 Points   |   Tied for 420th

Smith vs. da Silva
Alex da Silva, TKO, R2
Silva is a credentialed Brazilian wrester looking to take it to the mat for ground and pound. Smith's weak TDD hasn't been tested in his UFC fights thanks to quick disposal of 3 chinny opponents and a lackadaisical TD attempt where he was able to get some TB elbows. Got countered when over extending on a 1-2 and KO'd. Smith's path to victory is keeping range which he has trouble doing. Very confident in Silva here. Suspect Smith just quits on the ground when he starts to get hit.

Rosa vs. Edwards
Karol Rosa, TKO, R2
Edwards at 135 looks significantly slower than 125, but that could be as much about her competition level decreasing. She showed serious defensive liabilities, slow reflexes, low volume, cardio issues, and overall sloppy performance. She got dropped by a head kick from a 5

PaypalMyMoney
PaypalMyMoney
  • Predictions:  814  |  61.3%
  • Forum Posts:  5
  • Post Score: 320

01.30.2021 | 2:29 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 540 Points   |   Tied for 420th

McCann vs. Procópio
Lara Procópio, DEC
Lara is a bjj black belt that showed a high pace and good striking vs Karol Rosa. McCann is the tougher fighter here but has shown liabilities on the mat

Zalal vs. Choi
Youssef Zalal, DEC
S&S: I think Zalal's movement and willingness to take it to the mat will be too much for Choi to deal with. Zalal is coming in on short notice but trains at elevation and has shown exceptional cardio even in grappling heavy matchups.

Hippie
Hippie

01.30.2021 | 9:39 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 295 Points   |   Tied for 2872nd

One more week, I know it sux but ole well.

Not sure yet if I’m picking Reem or Volk..

Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,149  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,136
  • Post Score: 333

01.30.2021 | 9:53 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 2121st

I just assume theres a ufc every weekend and i got confused where the weigh ins were last night. Son of a ******* got me. Guess ill watch the boxing squash match tonight. or WandaVison : )

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

bazik
bazik

01.30.2021 | 11:39 AM ET

@Hippie

Predictions: 5 of 5 Winners, 3 Perfect, 340 Points   |   Tied for 2527th

Volkov is a loser, his advantages in this fight are only age.
What else did you want to show with this video?
bazik
bazik

01.30.2021 | 11:41 AM ET

If Overeem does not lose specifically for money, then there will be no negotiated battle. Overeem has every chance of winning, it all depends on whether this match is bought in advance or not
bazik
bazik

01.30.2021 | 11:49 AM ET

volkov socks

* Edited at 01.30.2021, 11:50 AM ET *

Xconchris
Xconchris

01.30.2021 | 11:52 AM ET

@Bazik. You might be one of the dumbest mma fans ive ever seen in 20+ years of watching the sport. Or a troll. I hope to god you are trolling. If not, i recommend a late term abortion for yourself

bazik
bazik

01.30.2021 | 12:03 PM ET

@Xconchris

eat ass. you stupid ****
bazik
bazik

01.30.2021 | 12:05 PM ET

@Xconchris

shut up ******* raindrop
FistyMcKickerChoke
FistyMcKickerChoke
  • Predictions:  29,494  |  80.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,550
  • Post Score: 236

01.30.2021 | 12:10 PM ET

@bazik

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 505 Points   |   Tied for 657th

Haha only a total idiot would think a UFC fight would be fixed, especially a main event. You are a total casual if you believe that even for a second. I hope you never expect to be taken seriously by anyone on this site again after what you just said. 

"Throughout my career I've learned that "If you win you're the ****, if you lose it's bad." - Bruno "Blindadao" Silva"

bazik
bazik

01.30.2021 | 12:11 PM ET

@Xconchris

write who will win better here. If you are 20 years old in MMA moron.
You will guess less than white belts. You better shut up. You are a ******* loser
bazik
bazik

01.30.2021 | 12:14 PM ET

@FistyMcKickerChoke

watch Weili Zhang vs. Joanna Jedrzejczyk fight.
And write me who won
Xconchris
Xconchris

01.30.2021 | 12:16 PM ET

@Fisty, yea hes a casual and a really dumb casual at that . I had hope he was trolling, is it too late for a abortion? haha

FistyMcKickerChoke
FistyMcKickerChoke
  • Predictions:  29,494  |  80.7%
  • Forum Posts:  4,550
  • Post Score: 236

01.30.2021 | 12:20 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 505 Points   |   Tied for 657th

@bazik I don't owe you a flake of my smegma, I'm not giving you a ****** write-up. 

"Throughout my career I've learned that "If you win you're the ****, if you lose it's bad." - Bruno "Blindadao" Silva"

bazik
bazik

01.30.2021 | 12:20 PM ET

@Xconchris

blowjob 

Page 8

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Morrell vs Kalajdzic and Cruz vs Moran set for Aug. 3
  • MMA Junkie : Cedric Doumbe gets new opponent for Bellator Champions Series in Paris
  • MMAFighting.com : Leon Edwards’ coach: Belal Muhammad was ‘was looking for a way out’ after eye poke in first fight
  • MMA Junkie : PFL signs Melissa Balic to multifight deal ahead of professional debut
  • UFC.com : Austin Hubbard Welcomes What Is Unpredictable
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Watch UFC Vegas 91 Media Day!
  • MMA Junkie : Video: 'UFC on ESPN 55: Nicolau vs. Perez' media day live stream
  • MMAFighting.com : Cedric Doumbe lands new opponent for Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Leon Edwards' coach expects Belal Muhammad next, says he 'was looking for a way out' in first fight
  • MMA Mania : ‘Bones’ Back In Camp
  • MMAFighting.com : Jon Jones returns to training for first time since suffering pectoral injury
  • Bad Left Hook : Chocolatito set for July 12 comeback against Barrera
  • MMA Junkie : Jiri Prochazka focused on reclaiming UFC light heavyweight title but contemplates future middleweight move
  • Middle Easy : Kamaru Usman Says Dana White ’10-7ed The Media’ With UFC 300’s Success
  • UFC.com : UFC And Morgan & Morgan Announce Multi-year Renewal Of Marketing Partnership
  • UFC.com : UFC 300 50/50 Charity Raffle Raises More Than $112,000
  • MMA Junkie : UFC heavyweight champ Jon Jones announces return to training after surgery for torn pectoral
  • MMA Mania : No-puria For ‘Suga’ — ‘Merab Is Going To Whoop His Ass’
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan Fires Back At Michael Chandler For Criticizing His Decision To Turn Down Islam Makhachev Title Fight
  • Jits Magazine : Mikey Musumeci Moves Up To Challenge Kade Ruotolo For Lightweight Title At ONE 168