Topic: UFC 258

UFC 258: Usman vs. Burns

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,926
  • Post Score: 47

10.15.2020 | 10:36 AM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 258
  • Saturday 02.13.2021 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: Endeavor
  • Venue: UFC APEX
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • MMA Bouts: 10
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Kamaru Usman   defeats   Gilbert Burns   via KO/TKO, Power Jab to Ground and Pound   0:34 Round 3 of 5, 10:34 Total Bout Page
Alexa Grasso   defeats   Maycee Barber   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Kelvin Gastelum   defeats   Ian Heinisch   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Ricky Simón   defeats   Brian Kelleher   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Julian Marquez   defeats   Maki Pitolo   via Submission, Anaconda Choke   4:17 Round 3 of 3, 14:17 Total Bout Page
Anthony Hernandez   defeats   Rodolfo Vieira   via Submission, Arm-In Guillotine Choke   1:53 Round 2 of 3, 6:53 Total Bout Page
Belal Muhammad   defeats   Dhiego Lima   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Polyana Viana   defeats   Mallory Martin   via Submission, Armbar   3:18 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Chris Gutierrez   defeats   Andre Ewell   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Gabe Green   defeats   Phil Rowe   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 4

CheckLeftHook
CheckLeftHook
  • Predictions:  2,389  |  56.6%
  • Forum Posts:  5,968
  • Post Score: 172

02.07.2021 | 4:34 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 4 of 10 Winners, 3 Perfect, 300 Points   |   Tied for 2945th

Usman vs. Burns
Gilbert Burns, SUB, R4
I have a weird feeling Gilbert will get an upset this fight, but lose the rematch

"🏴 No Quarter Given 🏴"

TARTARA
TARTARA
  • Predictions:  53,843  |  69.0%
  • Forum Posts:  5,186
  • Post Score: 65

02.07.2021 | 4:44 PM ET

Predictions: 3 of 10 Winners, 3 Perfect, 225 Points   |   Tied for 3558th

checklefthook Probably you are right! 👍 

Joke :
Masvidal voice :
Maybe! Maybe not! 

"KURZHAAR - Tomorrow Never Comes Until It's Too Late"

Hippie
Hippie

02.07.2021 | 5:42 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 10 Winners, 4 Perfect, 425 Points   |   Tied for 964th

Could turn out to be a interesting fight.

TWJake
TWJake
  • Predictions:  6,091  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  2,492
  • Post Score: 338

02.07.2021 | 6:50 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 10 Winners, 4 Perfect, 350 Points   |   Tied for 2116th

Is it that unreasonable to assume that Burns has better striking that Usman?

"I know many a troops that I visit when I went to Iraq in 2005... 2-uh excuse me in 19-or.. 05' 06' 07' 08' 09' 2010 2011. I went from the Korwaiten border! All the way up to the Turkish border!" -Tito Ortiz

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry
  • Predictions:  41,304  |  69.2%
  • Forum Posts:  7,311
  • Post Score: 285

02.07.2021 | 6:59 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 10 Winners, 3 Perfect, 440 Points   |   Tied for 795th

Usman vs. Burns
Kamaru Usman, DEC
I'm not certain picking either fighter but I am fairly certain that it will go the distance.

Barber vs. Grasso
Maycee Barber, TKO, R2
Maycee Barber has some impressive KO's on her record and KO's are fairly rare for women's fights so I'm hoping that we'll see another KO from her.

"I wish you good luck but I don't want you to rely on luck"

thebluedash
thebluedash
  • Predictions:  6,694  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  774

02.08.2021 | 3:45 AM ET

Predictions: 3 of 10 Winners, 1 Perfect, 175 Points   |   Tied for 3726th

Tried to do the normal embed but the image refuses to update, so let's just do it like this. If any of my pick seems weird, you can ask me for an explanation if you want.

"Don't follow my bets, it's probably wrong."

TARTARA
TARTARA

02.08.2021 | 4:33 AM ET

Prediction Comments

* Edited at 02.08.2021, 4:42 AM ET *

duster
duster
  • Predictions:  14  |  50.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8
  • Post Score: 513

02.08.2021 | 5:02 AM ET

@thebluedash

Predictions: 3 of 5 Winners, 1 Perfect, 190 Points   |   Tied for 3710th

for me a strange choice is burns. Please explain
This user is suspended from posting until 6 years, 9 months, 3 weeks, 6 days, 3 hours, and 43 minutes from now.
thebluedash
thebluedash
  • Predictions:  6,694  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  774

02.08.2021 | 5:22 AM ET

@duster

Predictions: 3 of 10 Winners, 1 Perfect, 175 Points   |   Tied for 3726th

Just a very hard fight to predict in general. Usman has appeared pretty unstoppable for a lot of his fights. So why Burns? I think Burns on paper is the best possible matchup against Usman at the moment in this weight class, so if he can't win, it's gonna be hard for me to pick anyone else against Usman. Usman likes to wrestle when he's in a tight spot and against Burns wrestling is a very risky move to take, it can easily fire back on him. Burns can 100% keep up and exceed Usman in that department.

I also find it interesting that Usman left the gym, while Burns is the one they're helping to prep for the fight. Typically gyms will make the challenger leave and champion stays, so I think this shows a level of confidence in Burns from the gym and they were the only ones who know how the sparring sessions between the two went.

Other than that I just like the general striking/grappling/fight iq of Gilbert Burns and hes a sizable underdog so he's a good pick for an underdog bet. I can also see Usman winning this too, this is not nearly one of my more confident picks. 

* Edited at 02.08.2021, 7:17 AM ET *

"Don't follow my bets, it's probably wrong."

TARTARA
TARTARA

02.08.2021 | 5:55 AM ET

duster 
This my personal opinion:
  • More likeble in the pablic 
  • More speed 
  • More explosion 
  • Strong enough
  • Better BJJ
  • I like to saport underdogs 
  • These criteria are enough for me to choose him, knowing that i may lose a few points, I do not care so much about it!
  • Sometimes the reward of the unexpected is greater than the choice of the reasonable!
  • I hope I helped you, and not confused you!
  • Sike! 

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

02.08.2021 | 7:19 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 10 Winners, 3 Perfect, 375 Points   |   Tied for 1611th

I can see Burns taking him down and submitting him.  However, I can also see a boring UD for Usman.

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

duster
duster
  • Predictions:  14  |  50.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8
  • Post Score: 513

02.08.2021 | 7:48 AM ET

@thebluedash

Predictions: 3 of 5 Winners, 1 Perfect, 190 Points   |   Tied for 3710th

Thanks! Pedro Munhoz vs. Jimmy Rivera II
It seems to me that Munhoz will win by decision
This user is suspended from posting until 6 years, 9 months, 3 weeks, 6 days, 3 hours, and 43 minutes from now.
RangerJW
RangerJW
  • Predictions:  3,058  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  434
  • Post Score: 348

02.08.2021 | 8:58 AM ET

Maverick v Robertson

Predictions: 9 of 10 Winners, 4 Perfect, 580 Points   |   Tied for 27th with 3 others

With both of their grappling chops, I see this fight being contested mostly on the ground. Technically, Gillian should be the stronger submission artist, but she often gives up position for the sub, which you cannot do against a more wrestling-heavy grappler like Maverick. If Gillian plays this fight from the guard, I think Maverick can prevent the subs and earn the decision win with strikes from the top. If Gillian gets on top, Maverick won’t accept the position like Botelho did and she’ll find a way to reverse it (she did this really well against Pearl Gonzalez). Santos and Barber showed that pressure is Gillian’s worst nightmare, and I think Maverick will capitalize on that. Maverick by dec. 

Amettxpc
Amettxpc
  • Predictions:  12,798  |  73.4%
  • Forum Posts:  2,186
  • Post Score: 192

02.08.2021 | 9:59 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 10 Winners, 6 Perfect, 525 Points   |   Tied for 187th

Usman vs. Burns
Gilbert Burns, TKO, R2
Leaving aside the fact that it may be boring or not, Usman's strategy of clinch, foot stomp, takedown and not finish led him to be champion and already have two successful defenses. The pairing is interesting because being teammates Usman and Burns have sparred approximately 200 times at least. It seems to me that on paper Durinho has many possibilities: Usman exposes his neck a lot when he does takedowns so Burns could look for a guillotine, This fight will probably take place standing (to avoid Burns' BJJ credentials) and unlike Sergio Moraes and Colby Covington Burns has good striking technique and considerable KO power. Burns beat fighters like Gunnar Nelson and Tyron Woodley on short notice, imagine what he can do against someone he has trained with for years. Also unlike Kamaru, Burns continued to train face to face with this fight in Sandford MMA (previously known as Hard Knocks and following the base of the Blackzillians gym) the same people who know Usman perfectly, as the current champion has had those same coaches throughout his career. From my point of view a 50-50 fight, but I think Burns can win because of his repertoire of techniques and skills.

"Moicano Wants Money!"

RangerJW
RangerJW

02.08.2021 | 10:13 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 10 Winners, 4 Perfect, 580 Points   |   Tied for 27th with 3 others

@Amettxpc Very good points!
RangerJW
RangerJW

02.08.2021 | 10:15 AM ET

Rowe v Green

Rowe shows some promise, though he hasn’t really fought good competition until facing Leon Shahbazyan. He stays moving, has a quick right hand, and has good striking offense on the ground. He also shows pretty good composure and ability to recover when he’s in trouble. That said, he keeps his hands low, over-extends on some of his punches, and tends to circle towards his opponents’ strong side (raises some real questions about his fight IQ against more seasoned opponents). He has also started slow against his last two opponents, which would be a bad idea against Green. Green has good pressure from start to finish and switches stances, which means Rowe could potentially be circling towards Green’s strong side at all times. He has a good chin and good combinations and can grapple if he needs to. (He has more sub wins on his record than Rowe, and against better competition, too.) I think Rowe still looks green (no pun intended), and Green’s pressure in the first along with his solid power and tenacity will be enough to get the finish. Green, TKO in the first or second round.

Aric123
Aric123
  • Predictions:  1,414  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  322
  • Post Score: 251

02.08.2021 | 10:18 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 8 Winners, 3 Perfect, 325 Points   |   Tied for 2394th

Gastelum vs. Heinisch
Kelvin Gastelum, DEC
Easy win for my man Kelvin to ease back into title contention again

"“Who ain’t got Jiu Jitsuuu” "

Aric123
Aric123
  • Predictions:  1,414  |  66.7%
  • Forum Posts:  322
  • Post Score: 251

02.08.2021 | 10:20 AM ET

@ranger

Predictions: 5 of 8 Winners, 3 Perfect, 325 Points   |   Tied for 2394th

Love your breakdowns man 

"“Who ain’t got Jiu Jitsuuu” "

Amettxpc
Amettxpc

02.08.2021 | 10:28 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Barber vs. Grasso
Maycee Barber, TKO, R2
Many do not like Barber due to overhype, but Barber has very good striking. Her wrestling talents have not yet been put to the test, but in striking she has good finishing ability. On her side, Grasso is more technical, but most of the good names in her career have beaten her: Felice Herrig, Tatiana Suarez (super beating) and Esparza (questionable result). Barber has a heart which is why she went out to fight 2 rounds with torn ligaments unlike Sean O'Malley (Oh-My-Leg ...) and for that reason I think she can put that extra to beat Grasso.

Gastelum vs. Heinisch
Kelvin Gastelum, DEC
Gastelum in save job mode will play safe to ensure his stay in the UFC. Heinisch has good defensive grappling, but his lack of explosiveness during fights is Gastelum's advantage.

Munhoz vs. Rivera II
Pedro Munhoz, DEC
The first time it was a war, but I think Pedro Munhoz has improved a lot since then. Jimmie Rivera has been on the downside in recent years after the KO loss to Moraes.

Lima vs. Muhammad
Belal Muhammad, DEC
Belal "Remember the Name" Muhammad is several notches above Dhiego Lima and his questionable 3-win streak. I see the typical safe work of Belal although with certain possibilities of finishing late. This is what Dariush was referring to with Direspectful matchmaking, to win this fight Muhammad deserves an opponent like Neil Magny or Demian Maia.

Robertson vs. Maverick
Miranda Maverick, DEC
They are two grapplers and the fight will likely play standing where Maverick has a greater advantage. The fight could also take place on the ground, where Maverick would also have the advantage due to his wrestling.

"Moicano Wants Money!"

Amettxpc
Amettxpc

02.08.2021 | 10:48 AM ET

@RangerJW Thanks for the Support! 
I really like the way you do your breakdown and explain your points. 

The Interesting thing about Usman vs. Burns is to see which of the two fighters can impose his strategy. They both know each other well and must be prepared for different scenarios during the fight.

"Moicano Wants Money!"

Page 4

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Gordon Ryan Says He’s ‘Embarrassingly Weak’ In Health Update
  • MMA Mania : Moldavsky Vs. Vassell 2 Headlines PFL Uncasville
  • Jits Magazine : Action-Packed Divisions All Round At ADCC Sydney Open 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: And New Super Lightweight Champion?
  • MMA Mania : Nurmagomedov Injured, Bellator Paris Title Fight Paused
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Inks PFL Extension, Returns At Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Ben Rothwell hopes Mark Hunt signing with BKFC materializes, wants rematch that 'brings eyes'
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Banks Big Money After Placing a $2 Million Bet on Himself to Defeat Devin Haney
  • MMA Junkie : Murad Ramazanov lauds Nurmagomedov training discipline for fast start in PFL debut
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is going to make him a way bigger superstar’: Trainer talks Garcia’s big win over Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is going to make him a way bigger superstar’: Trainer talks Ryan Garcia’s big win over Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘This Could Be A Career Death Sentence’
  • MMAFighting.com : DC calls for McGregor vs. Chandler to be 165-pound ‘super lightweight’ title fight
  • MMA Mania : ‘Be Prepared To Bleed, Rainbow!’
  • Bad Left Hook : Pitbull Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr, Santa Cruz vs Mares 3 on Crawford undercard
  • Middle Easy : Jamahal Hill Says He ‘Took No Damage’ Against Alex Pereira, Plans To Take Out ‘Frustrations’ Against Khalil Rountree Jr
  • MMA Junkie : Savannah Marshall's MMA debut opponent revealed as full 2024 PFL Europe 2 lineup announced
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Shuts Down Chances Of Conor McGregor and Michael Chandler Fighting For Proposed 165-Pound Title
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC owners at Triller acquired by Hong Kong-based finance company in $4 billion merger
  • MMA Junkie : The Ryan Garcia show is ready to take off after upset of Devin Haney | Opinion