Topic: St-Pierre vs. Shields

St. Pierre vs. Shields Predictions

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,574  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,522
  • Post Score: 60

01.04.2011 | 9:54 PM ET

This is the official prediction commentary thread for St. Pierre vs. Shields. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses Page 7

macciefresh
macciefresh
  • Predictions:  393  |  59.3%
  • Forum Posts:  154
  • Post Score: 98

04.26.2011 | 8:02 AM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   correct Decision  

for gsp to be considered p4p best in the world, which i think he already is. He needs to finish shields in this fight. No other fighter dominates his opponents like gsp does, but anderson finishes fighters, thats why people regard him as p4p best. Gsp needs to prove them wrong

"Listen, you ******* fringe, if I throw a dog a bone, I don't want to know if it tastes good or not. You stop me again whilst I'm walking, and I'll cut your ******* Jacobs off. "

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

04.26.2011 | 8:05 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Shields   wrong Submission   wrong Round 2  

@Heroak ... But your claim that he is easy to takedown ... There is also no proof to that hes still a great competitor and your wrestling doesnt just disappear with age just look at Randy...

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.26.2011 | 8:08 AM ET

Sorry, but anyone who thinks Dan Henderson is an easy take down is out of their mind.  Many people forget that Shields was a star wrestler himself in HS and college... that is what got him start in BJJ and MMA in the 1st place.  Hendo "blew his load" in the 1st round of their fight ala Carwin and nearly gassed out trying to finish Jake. 

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

04.26.2011 | 8:11 AM ET

Yes and you cant forget his back problems in that fight. A healthy Hendo wins that fight 9 times out of 10 in my opinion.

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

platzhirsch
platzhirsch
  • Predictions:  714  |  67.1%
  • Forum Posts:  170
  • Post Score: 65

04.26.2011 | 8:14 AM ET

Really looking forward to that one. Ive been watching shields for a long time and ive always asked myself how he'd stack up against the Top Tier in the UFC. Now that the time to see that has finally arrived, I'm surprisingly undecided how I think the fight will pan out. The most likely outcome imo will be GSP UD due to several facts; the biggest one being GSP's cardio advantage and athleticism. There's a good possibility that by the beginning of round 3 Shields will have exerted a substantial amount of energy while working for the takedowns, which by the way i doubt he will be able to complete. I definitely see Shields having a significant advantage on the ground but by the same token I see him having a significant disadvantage while standing up. Anyhow, my temporary pick is GSP.
Raoul
Raoul
  • Predictions:  104  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 100

04.26.2011 | 3:07 PM ET

Similar tactics to the Koscheck fight, jab and move.
trevpicks
trevpicks
  • Predictions:  82,212  |  56.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,853
  • Post Score: 222

04.26.2011 | 3:44 PM ET

GSP by complete domination. Jake shields  didn't even beat martin kampman imo.
jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

04.26.2011 | 9:36 PM ET

gotta admit...at first, i thought gsp via 5 rd domination....HOWEVER, after doing sum (ALOT) of past fight studing, i believe shields will win via submission...more specifically, jake shields via technical sub in 2nd rd.....i think gsp WONT tap, he's built a brand off his dominance..but he'll goto sleep and shields will be victorious....

btw...i also think aldo loses due to hominicks technique

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

Elkisland
Elkisland
  • Predictions:  213  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  499
  • Post Score: 132

04.26.2011 | 9:43 PM ET

I'm rooting for Shields. But Rush has this.

"Serious sport is war minus the shooting. "George Orwell""

skeet2b
skeet2b
  • Predictions:  8,330  |  61.8%
  • Forum Posts:  1,703
  • Post Score: 158

04.26.2011 | 9:48 PM ET

Definatly GSP is gonna win this fight, Shields is good but I dont think he is good enough to beat GSP or even Fitch

"A true champion, face to face with his darkest hour, will do whatever it takes to rise above. A man fights, and fights, and then fights some more. Because surrender is death, and death is for *******"

thefins
thefins
  • Predictions:  13  |  53.8%

04.27.2011 | 9:54 AM ET

As bad as GSP wants to end this fight, Jake will neutralize him using some ground game. GSP will take the most of the takedowns and superior ground positions giving him a split decision win.
Kalibo
Kalibo
  • Predictions:  33,130  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  16,800
  • Post Score: 185

04.27.2011 | 10:03 AM ET

As much as I want to pick Jake, GSP is too good right now.

"All men can see these tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved" – Sun Tzu, "The Art of War"

ourick76
ourick76
  • Predictions:  7,247  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  427
  • Post Score: 135

04.27.2011 | 11:37 AM ET

Prediction: wrong Shields   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

Only guy who has a shot besides Nick Diaz I believe.

"I came here to do two things: drink some beer...and kick some ass...and I'm about out of beer!"

darth_nanners
darth_nanners
  • Predictions:  2,440  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  619
  • Post Score: 170

04.27.2011 | 4:10 PM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 3  

The one thing about Shields that stands out to me the most is that lazy ass jab he throws. Yeah he is a great BJJ guy but it's not like GSP is a white belt. One thing that will probably hurt Shields is being over confident most of the top guys from Ceaser Gracie's gym are really confident in their skills. Someone said that they was pullin for GSP up until he said he was afraid, but that is exactly why I will always pull for him. Yes you should be confident in your own skills, but not to the point that you think you are untouchable. He knows exactly what the dangers are in this fight and he will do everything he can to remain champion. I think all of the training he has done with Freddie Roach will pay off and somewhere in the third GSP will get the TKO. And I'm gonna go all out and say it will be from elbow strikes, Shields has not had to worry about them in a while and after taking a beating and being gassed that is what will catch him off guard and end the fight.

"insert random generic/inspirational message here."

Master Blaster
Master Blaster
  • Predictions:  356  |  56.7%
  • Forum Posts:  241
  • Post Score: 30

04.27.2011 | 5:44 PM ET

Prediction: wrong Shields   wrong Submission   wrong Round 1  

Screw it. This is totally not going to happen. But there is a tiny chance, and if it's going to happen, it's going to happen quickly and early when they are still dry. Don't laugh at me that much, and if it happens, I'm the man!

"Break a deal, spin the wheel"

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,560
  • Post Score: 275

04.28.2011 | 12:04 AM ET

The only person to ever finish Jake Shields is Marty Armendarez, 11 years ago. As much as I'd like to see a barn-burner, this could easily go the distance.

"I live, I die, I live again."

FWPG
FWPG
  • Predictions:  2,148  |  55.2%
  • Forum Posts:  25
  • Post Score: -20

04.28.2011 | 12:16 AM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong Submission   wrong Round 4  

GSP will over whelm Shields in the first 3 rounds and where him out, then finish him off in round 3 by Submission shaming Shields Training camp.
Bottags
Bottags
  • Predictions:  12  |  66.7%

04.28.2011 | 1:45 AM ET

Prediction: correct St-Pierre   wrong KO/TKO   wrong Round 2  

GSP is the best, Jake shields will get out powered.
mark maloney
mark maloney
  • Predictions:  793  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  22
  • Post Score: 45

04.28.2011 | 2:02 AM ET

i dont put a lot of thinking into shields's fight with kampmann having to drop 20 pounds which effected his performance and i was his first fight in the ufc.shields has great submissions but his striking is so far behind gsp's.i think its going to be difficult for shields to take him down and i dont see him holding him dwn over 5 rounds long enough to submit him.
jesty94
jesty94
  • Predictions:  117  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  21
  • Post Score: 0

04.28.2011 | 2:27 AM ET

i dont think it even matters if shields passes gsp i still dont think he will sub him but for himto takedown gsp is a big IF

"Directed to receivers who play football "think of the football as your girlfriends tits then maybe you would stop droping the F****** ball""

Page 7

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: And New Super Lightweight Champion?
  • MMA Mania : Nurmagomedov Injured, Bellator Paris Title Fight Paused
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Inks PFL Extension, Returns At Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Ben Rothwell hopes Mark Hunt signing with BKFC materializes, wants rematch that 'brings eyes'
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Banks Big Money After Placing a $2 Million Bet on Himself to Defeat Devin Haney
  • MMA Junkie : Murad Ramazanov lauds Nurmagomedov training discipline for fast start in PFL debut
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is going to make him a way bigger superstar’: Trainer talks Garcia’s big win over Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is going to make him a way bigger superstar’: Trainer talks Ryan Garcia’s big win over Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘This Could Be A Career Death Sentence’
  • MMAFighting.com : DC calls for McGregor vs. Chandler to be 165-pound ‘super lightweight’ title fight
  • MMA Mania : ‘Be Prepared To Bleed, Rainbow!’
  • Bad Left Hook : Pitbull Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr, Santa Cruz vs Mares 3 on Crawford undercard
  • Middle Easy : Jamahal Hill Says He ‘Took No Damage’ Against Alex Pereira, Plans To Take Out ‘Frustrations’ Against Khalil Rountree Jr
  • MMA Junkie : Savannah Marshall's MMA debut opponent revealed as full 2024 PFL Europe 2 lineup announced
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Shuts Down Chances Of Conor McGregor and Michael Chandler Fighting For Proposed 165-Pound Title
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC owners at Triller acquired by Hong Kong-based finance company in $4 billion merger
  • MMA Junkie : The Ryan Garcia show is ready to take off after upset of Devin Haney | Opinion
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall ‘Would Be In Trouble’ Against Someone Like Velasquez
  • MMA Junkie : John Kavanagh: Conor McGregor's 'technique is as sharp as ever' ahead of UFC 303
  • MMA Mania : Watch BROADENED HORIZIN — Feat. Satoshi, Archuleta, Watanabe