Topic: Navarrete vs. Villa

Navarrete vs. Villa

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,376
  • Post Score: 47

08.06.2020 | 4:16 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
Navarrete vs. Villa
  • Friday 10.09.2020 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: ESPN | Prelims: ESPN+
  • Promotion: Top Rank
  • Ownership: Top Rank, Inc.
  • Co-Promoter: Thompson Boxing Promotions, Promociones Zanfer
  • Venue: The Bubble, MGM Grand Convention Center
  • Enclosure: Ring
  • TV Announcers: Crystina Poncer, Chris Algieri, Joe Tessitore, Timothy Bradley, Andre Ward
  • Ring Announcer: Mark Shunock
  • Interviews: Bernardo Osuna | Backstage: Bernardo Osuna
  • Matchmaker: Brad Goodman
  • Boxing Bouts: 7
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
(Boxing)   Emanuel Navarrete  defeats  Ruben Villa via Decision, Unanimous   12 Rounds, 36:00 Total Bout Page
(Boxing)   Janibek Alimkhanuly  defeats  Gonzalo Gaston Coria via KO/TKO, Left Straight   2:00 Round 2 of 10, 5:00 Total Bout Page
(Boxing)   Elvis Rodriguez  defeats  Cameron Krael via KO/TKO, Right Hook   0:53 Round 3 of 8, 6:53 Total Bout Page
(Boxing)   Lorenzo Simpson  defeats  Sanny Duversonne via Decision, Unanimous   8 Rounds, 24:00 Total Bout Page
(Boxing)   Bryan Lua  defeats  Nelson Colon via Decision, Unanimous   6 Rounds, 18:00 Total Bout Page
(Boxing)   Rashiem Jefferson  defeats  Steve Garagarza via Decision, Unanimous   4 Rounds, 12:00 Total Bout Page
(Boxing)   Kahshad Elliott  defeats  Akeem Jackson via KO/TKO   1:15 Round 1 of 4 Bout Page

Responses Page 2

Mattlex
Mattlex
  • Predictions:  5,392  |  71.2%
  • Forum Posts:  347
  • Post Score: 232

10.09.2020 | 11:18 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 5 Winners, 1 Perfect, 290 Points   |   73rd Place

What a fight so far, At the edge of my seat!!

"Be greedy when others are fearful - Warren Buffett"

Mikey1903
Mikey1903
  • Predictions:  48,481  |  73.2%
  • Forum Posts:  9,092
  • Post Score: 300

10.09.2020 | 11:43 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 7 Winners, 2 Perfect, 395 Points   |   Tied for 27th with 1 other

Well I feel dumb for picking Villa!!!!

Boxing fundamentals mean ****!!!!!  You're gonna need power to stop Navarrete!! Looking at the fight now I should have known that would have been a big issue for Villa.
Oh well on to the next 1, and what a 1 it is! Next week LOMACHENKO vs LOPEZ. 

I....... CAN'T.....WAIT!!!!!!

"Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe ****! "

2020.10.09 11:44 PM ET

bout result

Emanuel Navarrete defeats Ruben Villa via 12 Round Decision
JayHyde3858
JayHyde3858
  • Predictions:  2,272  |  77.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,238
  • Post Score: 161

10.09.2020 | 11:50 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 7 Winners, 0 Perfect, 330 Points   |   43rd Place

So confused with how The A Side Fighters win certain fights... OK Navarette dropped Villa in Round 1 and again heavily in Round 4, but the commentary team only spoke about Navarette, whilst I watched Villa Win Rounds 2, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 with much cleaner Boxing and Counter Punching.... My Score 114 Villa - 111 Navarette... Navarette was knackered from Round 5 and he missed so many times, I really didn't give him a Round through 6 - 12... You don't a fighter Rounds for chasing his opponent around the Ring, swinging wildly and missing with so many punches... Unless you are the A Side obviously!! 🤔🥊👊👊🥊👍

"If you find yourself in a fairly even fight... You didn't plan your mission properly!! 🥊👊👍"

JayHyde3858
JayHyde3858

10.09.2020 | 11:51 PM ET

Countered wrong... Sorry 115 Villa - 111 Navarette... 🥊

"If you find yourself in a fairly even fight... You didn't plan your mission properly!! 🥊👊👍"

Mikey1903
Mikey1903
  • Predictions:  48,481  |  73.2%
  • Forum Posts:  9,092
  • Post Score: 300

10.10.2020 | 9:49 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 7 Winners, 2 Perfect, 395 Points   |   Tied for 27th with 1 other

Sorry Jay bud, I don't agree with you on the scores. I think those 2 knockdowns sealed the fight. Plus Villa was running too much and would only throw a jab
If he had thrown combination, even a simple 1,2 when Navarrete was missing with wild swings and out of position, which I was hoping he would for my prediction!
But he let Navarrete bully him around the ring all night, I think those knockdowns had a him to worried to throw back. 
I do agree with you about the commentary being a bit off. It was like they were amazed at Navarretes wild, unorthodox **** and would ignore Villa's footwork and jab. 

But, again I think Navarrete clearly deserved the win, by 21 or 2rounds, along with the 2 10-8's that's a pretty clear win

"Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe ****! "

Tosh
Tosh
  • Predictions:  9,745  |  67.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,120
  • Post Score: 181

10.10.2020 | 12:59 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 7 Winners, 3 Perfect, 375 Points   |   33rd Place

Enjoying all the analysis above, agree mostly but Navarette takes this one easily

"He who hesitates meditates in a horizontal position""

JayHyde3858
JayHyde3858

10.10.2020 | 3:17 PM ET

I appreciate your response Mikey, but what I saw in the Rounds stated and especially from Round 6 / 7 was Navarette pressuring Villa and throwing wild swings and missing by some distance most of the time, whilst Villa boxed and moved and did connect with a few nice combinations flush on the chin of Navarette, as Navarette was leaning heavily over his front foot, which he has a tendency to do... The commentary was so biased... Everytime Navarette threw anything and I do mean anything, the commentary team talked about it being a point scoring shot... A lot of Navarette's punches throughout the entire fight missed Villa completely... My overall assessment is the Knockdowns were obviously the difference in Navarette edging the fight, but he scored 2, which equates to a 4 point difference across two rounds, yet he Won by only 2 points on 2 Judges Cards.... Takes the Knockdowns away and it would have been a draw officially, and prior to the Knockdown in Round 4, Villa was dominating the action in that Round, before being caught by an excellent shot that dropped him, that he didn't see... Overall assessment, Navarette was sluggish and used his physicality to edge the decision... He does carry power in his hands, no doubt and the Knockdowns were well delivered shots, but he did tire tremendously from Round 5 and he knew it, because he went into the fight thinking his power would be enough and expecting Villa to wilt under the pressure he would put him under... Meanwhile, Villa boxed and moved throughout a lot of the contest excellent and he still has a bright future in the sport, but he must remember that he doesn't carry power and therefore he needs to be on the move counter punching when facing a bigger puncher than himself, as being dropped in a close competitive fight obviously proved the difference between Winning and losing... 🤔🥊👊👊🥊👍Full respect to your opinion Mikey, but bullying an opponent with physicality is Not the sweet science that I appreciate... It shouldn't also score rounds if you as the fighter, spend the majority of the round pressuring your opponent and throwing punches, but missing your opponent, time after time! 👊🥊

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• UFC.com : Weigh-In Results | UFC Atlantic City
  • Bad Left Hook : Valdez vs Wilson: Live updates and results, 6:10 pm ET
  • The Athletic : UFC featherweight champion Ilia Topuria says title fight at Santiago Bernabéu Stadium ‘very, very, very possible’
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! ‘Regretful’ Biter Breaks Silence
  • MMA Mania : An Elite Contender With Only One Combo
  • MMA Mania : ‘Come Over Here Real Quick, Win A Belt, Maybe Win Another Belt’
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor Plans To Continue Fighting Until He’s ‘In The F*cking Grave,’ Wants To Face Similar-Aged Opponents
  • Middle Easy : Khalil Rountree Jr Claims Fans Want To See Him Fight Alex Pereira, Doesn’t Care If Pereira Is Champion
  • MMAFighting.com : Vince McMahon unloads another $100 million of TKO Group Holdings stock
  • MMA Junkie : 'That's not who I am': Igor Severino apologizes for bite, hopes one mistake doesn't define career
  • MMA Mania : ‘A Big Spit In The Face Of All The Champions’
  • MMAFighting.com : Payton Talbott rejects Sean O’Malley comparisons after UFC Vegas 89: ‘I don’t want to be compared’
  • UFC.com : Joaquin Buckley: ‘This Is The Reason I’m Here’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’d love that fight’: Tszyu willing to face Spence next, talks fight with Fundora
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’d love that fight’: Tim Tszyu willing to face Errol Spence next, talks fight with Sebastian Fundora
  • MMA Junkie : 'Super happy' PFL season newcomer Mads Burnell explains excitement for fight schedule, new weight class
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor scoffs at retirement: ‘It’s to the motherf****** grave’
  • MMA Mania : Whittaker: Chimaev Fight ‘Came Out Of Nowhere’
  • MMA Junkie : Why 2022 PFL welterweight champ Sadibou Sy moved to light heavyweight for upcoming season
  • MMAFighting.com : Robert Whittaker reacts to Khamzat Chimaev fight at UFC Saudi Arabia: ‘It’s a bit of a shock’