Tapology Forums

Petiton to bring back Oddsbot

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,032  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,080
  • Post Score: 334

07.07.2020 | 11:38 AM ET

Sadly he was before my time but i would love to see him back. I have a theory he would not achieve his 68% winning rate today because of much better match making and fights being more competitive as the talent l levels have increased

Thumbs up if you want the robotic dinosaur to return

Thumbs down if you want him to remain in the scrap yard

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

Responses

Hippie
Hippie

07.07.2020 | 11:46 AM ET

Resurrect Oddsbot !!!

👍🏼 

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,549
  • Post Score: 275

07.07.2020 | 12:27 PM ET

No promises, but I'll see what I can do.

"I live, I die, I live again."

tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  50,780  |  75.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,323
  • Post Score: 169

07.07.2020 | 12:34 PM ET

@Gregory

What was/is oddsbot?
pie2munch
pie2munch
  • Predictions:  16,672  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,618
  • Post Score: 279

07.07.2020 | 12:47 PM ET

Yes bring back oddsbot

That metal prick has what’s coming for it!!
Gregory
Gregory

07.07.2020 | 12:50 PM ET

@tepid this is oddsbot:  https://www.tapology.com/profiles/oddsbot

It's a user account that we added when we first created the website. The account was then programmed to do two things:

1) Enter a pick for any fight that had betting odds, always picking the favorite to win. As you can see from its profile page, it got 68% of fights correct.
2) It would create the first post on any "official" forum threads.

After a while it didn't make any sense to have the Oddsbot start all of the official forum threads.  I mean, what the hell is an Oddsbot?  So a new user account was added named "Tapology".  And now the Tapology user account is programmed to automatically kick off the official forum threads.

HiDefff
HiDefff

07.07.2020 | 12:52 PM ET

If he is coming back can Mothra finally get the long awaited rematch as well. He has toughened up that foot and it may not go the same way this time. 
Xconchris
Xconchris

07.07.2020 | 1:54 PM ET

@Tepid he also has a official fight on tapology haha

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry
  • Predictions:  40,742  |  69.3%
  • Forum Posts:  7,232
  • Post Score: 283

07.07.2020 | 3:08 PM ET

Oddsbot sounds awesome! I like the idea of a robot that sets a benchmark for you to compare yourself against so you can if you're better or worse than average at picking fights. It would also give you a sort of personal rival, a sort of 'are you smarter than a robot?' kind of challenge. 

Also, I noticed on his official fight record that he won in the 1st round after 14:19 which leaves me to wonder HOW LONG WERE THE ROUNDS?!?! Am I correct in thinking that the fight was made up of 15 minute rounds? Or more? If so that is an absolutely insane fight!

* Edited at 07.07.2020, 3:10 PM ET *

"I wish you good luck but I don't want you to rely on luck"

HiDefff
HiDefff

07.07.2020 | 3:19 PM ET

@Stephen Terry Oddsbot only picked the favorite in every fight. so its not really a bar I don't think just more of an indicator that the betting favorite won 68% of the time during Oddsbot timeframe 
Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

07.07.2020 | 3:30 PM ET

@HiDefff Well yes you're technically correct and it's also only for fights with official odds so it wouldn't cover most fights but in theory the favourite should win most of the time so it's a sort of 'can you accurately pick when an underdog is going to win?' kind of test. It would help to give you a better understanding of how well you know MMA. 

Touch_Butt
Touch_Butt
  • Predictions:  7,901  |  71.8%
  • Forum Posts:  39
  • Post Score: 305

07.07.2020 | 3:46 PM ET

Revive the bot!!!

""You're playing touch-butt with that dork in the park, the one with the ponytail and I'm the one who ain't got no training partners? I don't think so."

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

07.07.2020 | 3:57 PM ET

Vote yes on proposition 68

Bring back oddsbot!
HiDefff
HiDefff

07.07.2020 | 4:12 PM ET

I do agree with most of that but an understanding of MMA and being the favorite odds wise don't always go hand in hand. quick example would be PVZ being an odds favorite over Rose. Sometimes the odds are just wrong. That and when fights are close to pick em say -120 one way -110 the other. picking the winner in most of those comes down to a lot more than just slightly better odds. Lastly I think it made picks for opening odds as well instead of closing odds so sometimes those close to pick em fights could have flopped to the favorite post pick. But I get what you're saying. Either way bring it back lol Who wouldn't like to **** talk a favorite only picking robot when you correctly pick the dog 
ian729
ian729
  • Predictions:  24,135  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,235
  • Post Score: 259

07.07.2020 | 6:03 PM ET

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

07.07.2020 | 6:55 PM ET

@HiDefff If you're right about Oddsbot working on the opening odds then, as you pointed out, Oddsbot would inevitably pick a few underdogs now and then. But then again if it went on the closing odds then there would be no time to compare your picks before the fights so it wouldn't provide a basis for predictions and then it would serve no real purpose. It would work best as a piece of AI or some sort that edited it's predictions as the odds changed but I imagine that would be too hard to program. Either way it really doesn't matter as Oddsbot would work best just as a fun little bot to mess with now and then.

HiDefff
HiDefff

07.07.2020 | 7:09 PM ET

I agree 
Xconchris
Xconchris

07.07.2020 | 9:07 PM ET

But can oddsbot beat mmafortuneteller?? 

Hahahahahahahhaahahaha.

I think a drunk dog randomly smacking a keyboard can have better picks than him

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

07.07.2020 | 9:53 PM ET

I believe oddsbot picked close to event start times and any even odds fights weren't picked.

Also Oddsbot has a cousin too. I believe his cousin just flips a coin for picks making them at random.
I forget the profile name.
HiDefff
HiDefff

07.07.2020 | 9:59 PM ET

Well that changes everything haha thanks Free 
Gregory
Gregory

07.07.2020 | 10:03 PM ET

@freemoney that's the FantasyBot. https://www.tapology.com/profiles/fantasybot

It makes a pick on every fight, completely randomly. Random fighter, random method, random round. With over 50,000 picks it's at 49.8% correct. Over time, due to laws of statistics, that should get closer and closer to 50% exactly. 

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : ‘I Feel Like Makhachev Wants To Avoid Us’
  • MMA Junkie : Thiago Moises knows how to wreck a leg – and crush a Dan Hooker callout, too
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Sean Strickland vents mental health struggles: 'I feel like I'm a danger to people'
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Am Not Able To Get A Job’
  • Middle Easy : Colby Covington Is Worried About Mike Tyson’s Health In Jake Paul Boxing Match: ‘He Shouldn’t Be Fighting Anymore’
  • Middle Easy : Francis Ngannou Doesn’t Remember Round Two Against Anthony Joshua, Claims Boxing ‘Owes Him Something’
  • Bad Left Hook : Tszyu vs Fundora for WBO and WBC belts, PPV undercard adds another title fight
  • MMA Junkie : Alexandre Pantoja: Steve Erceg good name but 'so lucky' to get UFC 301 title shot
  • MMA Junkie : UFC's Mike Davis explains how 'Halo' video game helped overcome childhood bullying: 'That saved my life'
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor coach unsure why fighter remains un-booked, calls situation ‘weird’
  • MMA Mania : ‘Motherf—ker’s A Fakeass B—ch. Chito Sucks. F—k Him’
  • UFC.com : Fight-By-Fight Preview | UFC Fight Night: Ribas vs Namajunas
  • MMA Junkie : Kamaru Usman: Belal Muhammad 'only thing that makes sense' for UFC champ Leon Edwards
  • Middle Easy : Robert Whittaker Lays Out ‘Picture Perfect’ Return Fight, Stance On Champ Dricus Du Plessis
  • MMAFighting.com : Francis Ngannou has ‘no regrets’ about Anthony Joshua fight: ‘I really don’t see a thing that I should have done different’
  • MMA Mania : ‘There’s No Denying’ Carmouche Is ‘Top Girl’ ... But ‘Don’t Underestimate’ Ditcheva
  • UFC.com : Main Event Spotlight | UFC Fight Night: Ribas vs Namajunas
  • MMA Junkie : Chelsea Chandler: 'Week from Hell' led to UFC Fight Night 239 weight miss – complete with attempted home break-in
  • Middle Easy : Renato Moicano Slams Paddy Pimblett In Heated Response to Viral Call-Out: ‘The Guy is Delusional’
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch The MMA Hour with Ngannou, Vera, Whittaker, Kavanagh and Chou in studio, Cordeiro, and Melendez now