Topic: Andy Ruiz Jr.

BOXING OPINION: If Andy Ruiz Jr. VS Anthony Joshua 3 happened, I believe Ruiz would win

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry
  • Predictions:  41,211  |  69.2%
  • Forum Posts:  7,308
  • Post Score: 285

06.21.2020 | 8:32 PM ET

Andy Ruiz caused a shock against Anthony Joshua in the 1st fight with a 7th round TKO to win the WBA, IBF, WBO and IBO Heavyweight world title belts. Joshua then spent the next 6 months training hard, getting his motivation back and very skillfully out-boxed Ruiz in the rematch to win his belts back by a unanimous decision (118-110, 119-109, 118-110). In the 1st fight I don't believe that Joshua was on form at all and it certainly wasn't the Joshua we are used to seeing. In the second fight I think that the opposite was true with Ruiz being off form (through his own fault as he openly admitted that he didn't train properly for the fight) and Joshua producing an amazing performance. This is why I believe that there should be a rematch as even though we've seen them fight twice, we haven't seen them fight when they are both in good shape. Unfortunately, I don't think this fight will happen but if it did I believe that Ruiz would win because: 

A) He'd have less to lose (he'd be the challenger again) 

B) I believe that he's a braver fighter than Joshua 

C) I'd say that he punches harder than Joshua (though I can't confirm this as I've never been punched in the gut by either of them and don't plan to either) 

A) He would be the heavy underdog for the fight (though not as much as in the first fight) so there would be less pressure on him and as we saw in the later stages of the 2nd fight, he can't handle pressure as well as Joshua can so being the underdog would suit him better. 

B) He's most effective as a counter puncher and to do this he often takes some heavy punches before unleashing his own skillful and devastating combinations. If he could draw Joshua into a close range fight he would have Joshua on the canvas repeatedly. 

C) He's heavier than Joshua and although that may have worked against him in the 2nd fight (lack of training and indulging in a luxurious lifestyle resulted in him carrying too much weight for the 2nd fight), I believe that his heavier frame was crucial to his win in the 1st fight as Joshua's body shots had virtually no effect on him and also because Ruiz was able to use his weight to get some more momentum behind his punches. I feel that this gives him a very unique advantage over Joshua. 

In short, I don't think that we will see Ruiz VS Joshua 3 due to boxing politics but if they did fight, I think that Ruiz would become a 2 time heavyweight world champion just like Joshua. 

What do you think? Do you agree with me or do you think Joshua would out-box him again?

* Edited at 06.21.2020, 8:34 PM ET *

"I wish you good luck but I don't want you to rely on luck"

Andy "Destroyer" Ruiz Jr.

Fighter Details

Tapology does not have this fighter's full boxing history. Check the excellent BoxRec for all bouts.

• Given Name: Andres Ponce RUiz
  • Pro Boxing Record: 35-2-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: Destroyer
  • Current Streak: N/A
  • Last Fight: N/A
  • Weight Class: | Last Weigh-In: N/A
  • Affiliation: N/A
  • Height: 6'2" (188cm) | Reach: 74.0" (188cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $18,000,000 USD
  • Born: Imperial, California
  • Fighting out of: Imperial, California
  • College: N/A
  • Foundation Style: Boxing
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses Page 2

Mikey1903
Mikey1903
  • Predictions:  48,754  |  73.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,106
  • Post Score: 300

06.26.2020 | 12:43 AM ET

I think the Sugar Ray fight your referring is vs Jake LaMotta, 1 of 7 fights. Known as the Valentine Day Massacre!!!!
Or maybe Carmen Basillo, he really bloodied him up!!!
Crazy that Sugar Ray had 201 fights!!!! Probably more because boxing wasn't sanctioned in many States before the 50's meaning fights didn't go on official record. But 201 fights, I'm pretty sure he was on a near 100 fight win streak at 1 point!!! For sure he is 1, if not THE, all time great!!!!
There's many old school boxers with similar records tho, Sam Langford, won titles from Lightweight all the way to Light Heavy, he attempted Heavy!!! His record 211-43-52!!!!!! Wild!!! 

"Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe ****! "

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

06.26.2020 | 12:58 AM ET

SRR had over 109 KO's, too.  Absolutely insane. Pretty crazy that his career began in the 40's and his last fight was in 65'.

He was the first 'superstar' Boxer, really. The first guy to have entourages he took on tour with him....the original 'playboy' champ.

Dude had a personal ******* jester lol. Here's a shot of them having a drink.

* Edited at 06.26.2020, 1:03 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 23 hours, and 29 minutes from now.
Mikey1903
Mikey1903
  • Predictions:  48,754  |  73.1%
  • Forum Posts:  9,106
  • Post Score: 300

06.26.2020 | 1:29 AM ET

What about Jack Johnson. The 1st Black Heavyweight Champion. He would fall into the Playboy category. Guy was always running with hot white chicks just to piss of the yokels even more!!! Hahaha 

"Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe ****! "

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

06.26.2020 | 3:51 AM ET

@Mikey1903 About the original post, that is the one thing that annoys me most about Ruiz is his complacency. That's why he was in such bad shape in the rematch because he let the high life get the better of him. If he had a harsher trainer who was able to slap the laziness out of him then I've no doubt that he could be a champion again or at the very least a serious contender.

According to BoxRec, Robinson's record stands at 174-19-6 with 109 of those wins coming by way of KO as @ImperatorFishrat mentioned. It's absolutely ridiculous! On top of the insane record, he also helped to popularize the sport even further and many boxers have stated that they got into boxing because of Sugar Ray. His impact on the sport cannot be underestimated! Defiantly the P4P greatest ever in my mind! 

Jack Johnson was an absolute legend! He was a great boxer who was very feared in the ring and I always respect people who go the extra mile to piss of racists! He could have kept a low profile to try and stay out of trouble and stay safe and that would have been completely understandable but he rightly (and extremely bravely considering the time) refused to be treated like crap! Living the life he did back then was extremely dangerous but be feared NOBODY! He marched to his own drum! He doesn't get the credit he deserves for what he did both inside and outside the ring nearly as often as he should!

* Edited at 06.26.2020, 3:52 AM ET *

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,252  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,242
  • Post Score: 137

06.26.2020 | 3:12 PM ET

Johnson was a legend never heard any the seedy details but he married a white lady and was penalized for it.
He is actually on a number of top 10 all time best HW lists not necessarily due to a stellar record.
He would likely have done better in a LHW or cruiser division but he gloried in overcoming and so we love him.

"Weasel Piss *********" Dan Hooker

Stephen Terry
Stephen Terry

06.26.2020 | 6:22 PM ET

@Joshjeffords Couldn't have put it better myself! He didn't have the best record of 54-11-7 (still very respectable though!) but he wasn't afraid of anyone or any challenge! He didn't duck anyone. He also had a very long career that lasted between 1897 and 1931 meaning he had a 34 year career! He was a true fighter in every sense of the word! 

* Edited at 06.26.2020, 6:22 PM ET *

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video