Tapology Forums

#MMAIsASport

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Jurko
Jurko
  • Predictions:  2,767  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  105
  • Post Score: 284

06.18.2020 | 10:29 AM ET

Responses

tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  52,305  |  75.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,339
  • Post Score: 168

06.18.2020 | 12:26 PM ET

@Jurko

Unfortunately, I don't think that MMA will ever be an Olympic sport.
Jurko
Jurko

06.18.2020 | 4:04 PM ET

@tepid

Well at least we need to try
tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  52,305  |  75.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,339

06.18.2020 | 4:12 PM ET

I don't think MMA will ever be an Olympic sport, because the Olympics like to portray athletes as only doing one sport for their entire life, and I think they view MMA as a combination of sports, not a sport unto itself.

* Edited at 06.18.2020, 4:52 PM ET *

Jurko
Jurko

06.18.2020 | 5:15 PM ET

I agree with you but I think MMA would be one of the most watched sports in the olympics and maybe because of that MMA has some chance to become olympic sport
pie2munch
pie2munch
  • Predictions:  16,769  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,619
  • Post Score: 279

06.19.2020 | 9:15 AM ET

Well first of all what would Olympic mma look like?

Headgear plus amateur rule set?
mmalari
mmalari
  • Predictions:  114,892  |  62.7%
  • Forum Posts:  1,905

06.19.2020 | 2:10 PM ET

JUNE 19, 2020

MMA’s application for sport recognition rejected by GAISF again

“We have advised GAISF that we wish our application to continue to remain active and we will continue to campaign and fight for justice”.

The International Mixed Martial Arts Federation’s latest application to the Global Association of International Sports Federations (GAISF) for observer status membership was refused yesterday. This was despite the MMA governing body meeting all known criteria for sport recognition and having engaged with GAISF throughout three application processes over four years.

No reason was given by GAISF in its letter to IMMAF, which stated merely:

“We regret to inform you that following a thorough discussion, the GAISF Council has resolved not to grant the GAISF’S Observer Status to IMMAF. Please be assured that we will continue to evaluate your application and reassess it in the future should you wish to request it.”

[See full letter below.]

Neither was any prior notice given to IMMAF of the decision-making meeting taking place on 19 June. GAISF further declined to advise as to which representatives of GAISF were present at the meeting.

Nevertheless, IMMAF has been instructed by GAISF that its application remains active and the IMMAF CEO has expressed IMMAF’s wish to continue with it.

IMMAF President Kerrith Brown commented:

“Despite IMMAF meeting all known criteria, GAISF has continually refused to give any consistent or clear answers to IMMAF through our four years of willing engagement with them: They will not give any explanation for their decision. They will not tell us who was in the meeting. They will not tell us who had powers of decision over our application, nor will they tell us which combat sports have objected. They still have not explained why some martial arts have said MMA is incompatible with them. The CEO and I have been chastised for being aggressive for asking these questions.”

IMMAF CEO, Densign White, commented:

“This treatment of IMMAF is as shocking as it is antiquated. International Sport would seem to be run effectively by a “Gentlemen’s Club” with no requirement for accountability, transparency, representation or any other markers of good governance, despite the impact their decision making has on sports participants and communities worldwide. We urge GAISF to emerge from the era in which the modern Olympic Movement was born and become accountable as is demanded of every other modern governance body in every other sector.

“For avoidance of doubt, we have advised GAISF that we wish our application to remain active and we will continue to campaign and fight for justice”.

😱😱😱😱😱😱

Although it does not have much to do with this topic, an example of what opinion they have about MMA whether they are Amateur or Professional

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo hopes Conor McGregor 'of old' shows up vs. Michael Chandler at UFC 303
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC lightweight Paddy Pimblett announces arrival of twin baby girls
  • MMA Junkie : Ariane Lipski plots her 'best performance ever' against Karine Silva at UFC on ESPN 55
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This will be one of Canelo’s better performances’: Ellerbe expects showcase victory against Munguia
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight-week press conference live stream
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight-week press conference live stream (6 p.m. ET)
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference video live now
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference video at 6 p.m. ET
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Louisville lineup announced: Dominick Reyes vs. Dustin Jacoby, but no main event official
  • MMA Mania : Wanna Bet Someone Misses Weight? Now You Can!
  • MMA Junkie : Ronda Rousey thinks Joe Rogan, media turned on her after knockout losses: 'They're a bunch of assh*les'
  • MMAFighting.com : Curtis Blaydes: Tom Aspinall fight at UFC 304 makes sense, but I learned ‘don’t get my hopes up’
  • Middle Easy : Trial Date Set for Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez in Attempted Murder Case
  • MMA Junkie : Israel Adesanya will always respect 'special fighter' Alex Pereira
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Day 3 Recap
  • MMAFighting.com : Shaq: Vitor Belfort knocked out person ‘talking crazy’ at bar
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Ariane Lipski, Austin Hubbard, UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez picks
  • MMA Junkie : Montana De La Rosa, Andrea Lee booked for UFC rematch in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Cannonier Vs Imamov Headlines UFC Louisville
  • MMA Junkie : UFC's Tim Means doesn't expect to fight for long: 'I turned 40, I know my time is coming'