Tapology Forums

New Generation vs Old Generation

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

sotherino
sotherino
  • Predictions:  2,170  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  8
  • Post Score: 188

06.17.2020 | 9:05 AM ET

I heard many time that the new generation is much better in technical terms than past fighters. And I'm not agree with that afirmation and I don't understand at what domain, the new guys is better?

Because when we talk about technical skills, just take Marco Ruas

Striking: 1st degree black belt in TKD; Maestre rank in capoeira; maestre rank in thai box

Grappling: 7th degree black belt in luta livre; 3rd degree black belt in BJJ; 3rd black belt in Judo

Ok guys, I think it's obvious that he is a more legitimate and a much skilled grappler and striker than a current top fighter with a blue belt in BJJ and a MMA level striking. Ruas would be teacher of this guys in any discipline. He is at a master level.

Just take a top contender like Dominick Reyes. He was a football player, he turned to MMA, he achive a blue belt, did train some years and develop a good striking skill. Ok, but how he can compare at technique with a master of martial arts that did that stuff all of his life?

Just take Randy Couture, Mark Coleman, olympic wrestlers. We saw what is capable an olympic wrestler, just think at Cejudo. How can compare a good current wrestler like Gastelum that doesn't even have a wrestling background, with a olympic level wrestler from the past?

BJJ? In the past we have Royce Gracie, Rickson Gracie, the best BJJ fighter ever. Who would be a more technical/ skilled grappler then they was? Nobody. All around masters? I was talking about Marco Ruas.

How could some people say that new generation is more technical than the old? At what aspect? Because I don't see the new techniques that the old guys doesn't know, new strikes or submissions, in matches I see the same jab, straight right, hooks and uppercuts, kicks, elbows and knees, takedowns and submissions, armbars, kneebars, chokes..

* Edited at 06.17.2020, 9:09 AM ET *

"Outwork everyone."

Responses

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

06.17.2020 | 9:14 AM ET

Sakuraba made the entire Gracie family his *****s.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

06.17.2020 | 10:36 AM ET

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

06.17.2020 | 10:37 AM ET

Also you forgot to mention tank Abbott!
tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  52,305  |  75.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,339
  • Post Score: 168

06.17.2020 | 11:01 AM ET

This is why I said that Marco Ruas should be in the UFC Hall of Fame, because he was essentially a high-level black belt in every skill used in modern MMA.
TWJake
TWJake
  • Predictions:  6,091  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  2,492
  • Post Score: 338

06.18.2020 | 6:58 PM ET

tepid youre such a hipster

"I know many a troops that I visit when I went to Iraq in 2005... 2-uh excuse me in 19-or.. 05' 06' 07' 08' 09' 2010 2011. I went from the Korwaiten border! All the way up to the Turkish border!" -Tito Ortiz

txmmafan1985
txmmafan1985
  • Predictions:  8,996  |  60.8%
  • Forum Posts:  62
  • Post Score: 174

06.18.2020 | 6:59 PM ET

If Tank puts it all together, I can see him making a run for the title in the future.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

06.18.2020 | 7:00 PM ET

lol
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 3 days, 4 hours, and 48 minutes from now.
Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,263  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,258
  • Post Score: 136

06.18.2020 | 7:45 PM ET

Ruas was an oddity fought heavyweights but would be average in middleweight now.
His striking was at times "effective" but I would never say im a black belt and strike like that.
His grappling and ground and pound were his strengths esp for a smaller guy.
Modern strikers are way more technical all divisions, both in defense and offense. 

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo hopes Conor McGregor 'of old' shows up vs. Michael Chandler at UFC 303
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC lightweight Paddy Pimblett announces arrival of twin baby girls
  • MMA Mania : Copycat! Satoshi Mimicked Oliveira To Score Stellar Finish
  • MMA Junkie : Ariane Lipski plots her 'best performance ever' against Karine Silva at UFC on ESPN 55
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This will be one of Canelo’s better performances’: Ellerbe expects showcase victory against Munguia
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight-week press conference live stream
  • MMA Junkie : Video: BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight-week press conference live stream (6 p.m. ET)
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference video live now
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 press conference video at 6 p.m. ET
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Louisville lineup announced: Dominick Reyes vs. Dustin Jacoby, but no main event official
  • MMA Mania : Wanna Bet Someone Misses Weight? Now You Can!
  • MMA Junkie : Ronda Rousey thinks Joe Rogan, media turned on her after knockout losses: 'They're a bunch of assh*les'
  • MMAFighting.com : Curtis Blaydes: Tom Aspinall fight at UFC 304 makes sense, but I learned ‘don’t get my hopes up’
  • Middle Easy : Trial Date Set for Former UFC Heavyweight Champion Cain Velasquez in Attempted Murder Case
  • MMA Junkie : Israel Adesanya will always respect 'special fighter' Alex Pereira
  • Jits Magazine : PGF World Season 6: Day 3 Recap
  • MMAFighting.com : Shaq: Vitor Belfort knocked out person ‘talking crazy’ at bar
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Ariane Lipski, Austin Hubbard, UFC Fight Night: Nicolau vs Perez picks
  • MMA Junkie : Montana De La Rosa, Andrea Lee booked for UFC rematch in Louisville
  • MMA Mania : Cannonier Vs Imamov Headlines UFC Louisville