Tapology Forums

Champions coming together

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,149  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,141
  • Post Score: 333

06.10.2020 | 9:40 PM ET

With Jon Jones, Jorge Masvidal and Henry Cejudo all demanding their release or retirement over financial issues and lack of respect. This would be a great opportunity for another push for a fighters union, association or anything similar. The former Flyweight and Bantamweight Champion Henry Cejudo, Light Heavyweight champion and GOAT Jon Jones, and Hugely popular and BMF Jorge Masividal have all had recent issues with the UFC underpaying the Athletes and even cutting their salaries while the company makes huge financial gains. Each of these fighters are in a fight right now with the UFC, and heres the sad truth.

Each of these fighters will FAIL and loose their fight with the UFC.

The UFC will retire them, forget them and move on.

Randy Couture fought the UFC and lost
Leslie Smith Fought the UFC and lost
Kajan Johnson fought the UFC and lost
Mark Hunt fought the UFC and lost
The list continues...

If my memory serves me correct UFC Hall of Famer Pat Miletich spoke on the game plan of Mixed Martial Arts. The strategy is to bring your strongest game against your opponents weakest. You Brawl a technical boxer, and you box a brawler. You Wrestler a striker, and you out strike a wrestler. You dont fight your opponents at their strength, you fight them at their weakness.

The UFC has done this to fighters, They fight each out spoken fighter individually. They fought them 1 on 1 and fought them at their most weakest position. The fighters must understand, they are strongest together and united. That is them at their strongest. That is Mixed Martial Arts.

Imagine if you will, Dan Lambert, owner of American Top Team. Him and his impressive stable of UFC fighters and champions calling Ali Abdelaziz,and rallying the biggest MMA agent currently and combining their fighters to stand up against the unfair practices of the UFC. 

Imagine Conor McGregor and Khabib Nurmagomedov, putting their differences aside and standing side by side, shoulder to shoulder for a much greater fight. 

Imagine Colby Covington, Jorge Masvidal, Kamaru Usman and Tyron Woodley all putting their differences aside and standing shoulder to shoulder. This image alone would send a message right through the heart of the UFC brass and terrify them. MMA's biggest rivals standing together to fight the real enemy, in the toughest fight of their lives.

All UFC Champions, from Heavy Weight Stipe Miocic down to Weili Zhang saying Enough is Enough.

Individually Each fighter will ALWAYS Fail, together they will win.

My parents are immigrants to the United States. I always asked them why did they come her to suffer and work so hard. They had jobs, family, friends and a good life where they came from. I never forget what they told me. We didnt come here for money and success, we came here so our children can be better than us and be more successful. Each fighter must not do this for themselves but the future generations of fighters to come.

Theodore Roosevelt quoted. "If there is not the war, you dont get the great general; If there is not a great occasion, you dont get a great statesman; If Lincoln lived in a time of Peace, no one would have known his name.

This quote spoke to me because it describes opportunity. Right now we have a special opportunity. With so many current UFC Champions and fighters angry and upset about the unfair treatment and practices the UFC does to its athletes. This is our great occasion and opportunity. With so much turbulence in the world right now, people are ready for change and we have the perfect storm for change. 

We just need 1 great influential fighter like Conor McGregor to reach his hand, extend a olive branch out to Khabib Nurmagomedov in friendship and stand with him. Just 1 great man. Then the rest will follow.

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

Responses

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

06.10.2020 | 9:54 PM ET

Unions are just bureaucracies, and a fighter's union would be very ineffectual one because the strength of unions is really contingent on the broader utility of the labor force in question.

For example, building unions, and freight unions, are powerful because they have leverage. **** gets real fast if things stop getting constructed and moved around.

Nobody really gives a **** if MMA happens or it doesn't apart from MMA fans, who are not numerous, and if MMA doesn't happen, the only consumer base that is affected are those fans. Vegas and MSG were here before MMA and they will be here when it is gone. So in effect, no other industries really give a **** if MMA happens or not.

A fighters union would have the power to hurt UFC to a limited extent, but this would also be career suicide, because nobody really gives a **** about any other promotion anyway. Fighters with big earning potential who 'went on strike' would simply be destroying their own financial prospects. It would be insane.

I much prefer the implementation of the Ali Act. This would force the UFC to get more competitive (better fights for the fans) give fighters the opportunity to make more money both in sponsorship and as sub-contractors (Dana says they already are, but he's utterly full of **** because anyone locked into a contract which means they can't sell their labor outside of it isn't a subby, they're an employee)  and would breeak up UFC's market dominance, which is as close to being a monopoly as can exist without being one.

* Edited at 06.10.2020, 10:00 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 4 days, and 19 minutes from now.
loudenSwain
loudenSwain
  • Predictions:  15,071  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,313
  • Post Score: 283

06.10.2020 | 10:12 PM ET

I think I agree with Fish here. I don’t see MMA as being the draw as major sport unions, despite the power of the UFC brand. I just do t see it being overly profitable for them. That said, I’m admittedly not the one to ask about such whatnots, thingamajigs and stuff. I just see it being like Communism as a great theory but doesn’t pan out in real life. Like, sure, it works for the Smurfs but us humans can’t pull that off. 

"This is Prize-Fighting, IDGAF about your family or your problems - MassaBruce"

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

06.10.2020 | 10:25 PM ET

Union would have to be all fighters and all promotions cause ufc will have an endless reservoir of scab fighters to hire! 

And it's pretty ridiculous. Gilbert burns is like the third or fourth to be offered that title shot. Everyone else wanted more money and rightfully so. 
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

06.10.2020 | 10:37 PM ET

We all want  fighters to get paid as much as they can, but there's got to be meat on the bone for promoters too. It's give and take. Best way to strike the right balance is by creating more volume in the market, and the best way to do that is to create competition.  What especially ****s me about UFC is the Reebok deal...it is Artful Ass******y of the highest order, and is just disgraceful business all round, really.

* Edited at 06.10.2020, 10:41 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 4 days, and 19 minutes from now.
pie2munch
pie2munch
  • Predictions:  16,769  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,619
  • Post Score: 279

06.10.2020 | 10:42 PM ET

Disagree, keep 'em hungry.

That way they have to keep fighting to earn a living.

Too much money, they turn into whiny ******* who sit out and wait for even more money(see Diaz)

Also once fighters get the upper hand in negotiations(like in boxing) we won't get to see top fighters fight in their primes, and massive ppvs with 2-3 title fights would go by the wayside right quick.

When was the last boxing PPV that other than the main event were there any relevant known fighters??

Boxing shot itself in the foot by having these negotiators(lawyers) talk and talk and talk until the fights we want to see end up being seen 5 years beyond their primes (such as Mayweather vs  Pac) 38 and 35.

Sure I'd like the fighters make more, but not at the expense of watered down PPV's and stalled negotiations between fighters letting lawyers ******* up my viewership

* Edited at 06.10.2020, 10:44 PM ET *

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

06.10.2020 | 10:45 PM ET

^ This is a fair point. More money for fighters doesn't necessarily mean better quality fights, in fact it often means really ****** fights.

It's very difficult to ask someone who has made 50 million dollars to got out there and fight some young animal tooth and claw and get CTE/brain damage/die for an extra 10 million. The risk/reward return simply isn't there. What's most probable in that scenario is a low-risk points festival as is the case in flagship boxing events.

I wouldn't do it.

Can't have you cake and eat it too.

* Edited at 06.10.2020, 10:46 PM ET *

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

06.10.2020 | 10:49 PM ET

Good points. I'm sure there's a middle ground somewhere
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

06.10.2020 | 10:59 PM ET

Trick is incentivising fighters to fight hard with carrot-dangling them and locking them into ****** contracts. But that's no easy feat, and would exclude a lot of technically good but fairly boring fighters from ever making real Skrilla.

The market kind of jsut wants what it wants, and that's it. Highest court in the land. Is Nate Diaz better than Cejudo? Ha! **** no! Still a bigger draw though.

Fun fact: Plumbers in Australia make about 2-3x as much as Biologists.

Same deal. It's all about demand.

* Edited at 06.10.2020, 11:03 PM ET *

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez gets trial date in attempted murder case
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Love Dana White. There’s No Issues’