Tapology Forums

Why the female headliners?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,126  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,131
  • Post Score: 333

06.09.2020 | 10:54 AM ET

Been trying to wrap my head around this. First we had the Aspen Ladd vs Germaine de Randamie fight card, then we get the Jessica Eye vs Cynthia Calvillo.

Now, before the virtue signalling, politically correct, white knights show up. i have no issues with females headlining. Nunes vs Spencer was a pay per view worthy main event. And even boring Holly Holm headlining against Irene Aldana is fight night worthy. Giving Holms past victories, being a former champion, popular figure and most importantly, high paying salary.

So my question, why the other 2 fight cards as headliners? I understand the UFC's lack of fighters right now with travel restrictions. But there are far better fighters available, fighting on other cards, who are far more deserving of main event status.

For example most fans would rather have seen Garbrant vs Assuncao, Sterling vs Sandhagen, O'Malley vs Wineland, Burgos vs Emmett headline this Saturdays card with a 5 round fight. And with any of these headliners and known travel restrictions "most" mma fans would have been much more happier and excited than the pile of dung as Jessica Eye vs Cynthia Calvillo

So i come back to my original argument. Why are these fighters, who happen to be female, getting headlining treatment over male fighters, who seem to be more deserving and much more exciting for fans to headline?

My best guess is that they are trying to promote and push the female fights, to seem more politically correct and fair to female fighters. So in the future any feminists or anyone accusing them of being sexist or not giving the same opportunities as men wont have a leg to stand on? Because their will one be a group of people or mma journalists looking for "hate clicks", looking at you bloodyelbow.com, that will write a sensationalist article of why females headlined so few mma cards compared to thier male counterparts. Without looking at any facts of why they didnt or who was more deserving, exciting and fans wanted to see. So my best guess is the UFC would rather deal with short term anger and rage from MMA. Hardcore fan's, who will watch the card basically anyway, (not like theres much competition as well right now) and will forget rather quickly. Then possibly deal with long term anger from liberal media that they were unfair in the treatment of female fighters that would be much more difficult to repair then short term anger from hardcore fans.

Dont take the article too seriously, just opinions

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

Responses

pie2munch
pie2munch
  • Predictions:  16,757  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,619
  • Post Score: 279

06.09.2020 | 1:10 PM ET

My only guess is trying to build # 1 contenders for the titles

Since title fights are 5 rounders they might be testing these potential contenders endurance as well as drawing power on lower ESPN cards

Eye vs Calvillo -  makes no sense other than the UFC hopes Calvillo win since Eye was a former contender for the title. Shevenko needs to fight somebody eventually so they need to produce some sort of challenger

Holm vs Aldana - Holm was a former title holder and contender  to nunes, so if Aldana wins we yet again have someone to maybe put up to lose against Nunes.

Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,126  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,131
  • Post Score: 333

06.09.2020 | 1:58 PM ET

Have no issue with Holm/Aldana headlining. I think i posted that above, it was long like a fishrat post. 😂

i didnt think calvillo\eye was a number 1 contender but who knows anymore.

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

pie2munch
pie2munch
  • Predictions:  16,757  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,619
  • Post Score: 279

06.09.2020 | 4:25 PM ET

Yes, I don't know if its a #1 contender either. 

I just think with Eye being a former challenger It gives Cynthia a chance to climb the ranks and gives the UFC another option for Shev if she wins
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

06.09.2020 | 4:39 PM ET

@xcon it is possible, but I'm not sure that fielding WMMA will save them much, if at all, in the end. This is because postmodern dialectics are not dependent on facts and the material, but rather on what people loosely refer to as 'narratives'. The fact that women compete in WMMA will simply not mean anything, because the pundits will simply frame the issue in a different way and generate outrage. We already see this with 'The Pay Gap', which is a myth. There is in fact no situation in any LBC whereby a woman doing the same job as a man at the same rate of hours gets payed less. This is actually illegal.

The fact that we have Female CEO's does not prevent TED talks happening weekly on the pay Gap and Patriarchal oppression.

“Postmodernity is said to be a culture of fragmentary sensations, eclectic nostalgia, disposable simulacra, and promiscuous superficiality, in which the traditionally valued qualities of depth, coherence, meaning, originality, and authenticity are evacuated or dissolved amid the random swirl of empty signals.”
― Jean Baudrillard

* Edited at 06.09.2020, 4:42 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 17 hours, and 45 minutes from now.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

06.09.2020 | 9:59 PM ET

and you wonder why people think your white?

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Ffion Davies And Morgan Black Face Each Other In The Grappling Co-Main Event
  • Jits Magazine : Stacked Tournaments Confirmed For Midwest Finishers 18
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career