Tapology Forums

Nunes is not the female goat

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,126  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,131
  • Post Score: 333

06.03.2020 | 12:26 PM ET

This should bring in some hate. But i dont believe Amanda Nunes is the female goat. I honestly think she has a very good chance of loosing Saturday to Felicia Spencer.

Nunes is a massive favorite -600 to beat Spencer in the main event. Nunes best wins were by quick stoppages with her heavy hands in the 1st round. Much like the best wins of Tyron Woodleys career. Then she tends to gas and has struggled with grapplers in the past like Cat Zingano. Spencer has shown he took the very best punches from Cyborg,did not get hurt and had great Cardio. Plus her coming from a grappling background, and the cage being much smaller, she has alot of advantages to make a huge upset Saturday.

Also i think Nunes robbed Shevchenko in the rematch.  Out of the majo.r. 20 mma media websites scoring the fight. It was a even 9-9. Split with 2 scoring it a draw. From what i remember most mma fans thought it was too close to score with a slight majority thinking Valentina Shevchenko pulled out the win. And If Valentina had won, she would have avenged all looses in her career carmouche/nunes and we would be discussing her as the best female of all time right now.

The Cyborg victory i chaulk up to carelessly reckless fighting on both fighters and Cyborg thinking she was invincible Because she basically has neverm lost a mma fight Her entire career excluding her very 1st pro fight. If there was a rematch i honestly believe Cyborg would win and fight much more cautious being the much better technicall striker and overall better fighter. But due to Politics and backstage UFC drama therematchh never would have happened. Cyborg being very outspoken against the organization, difficult to control, asking for lots of money and generally being a pain in the ass ended any chance of a rematch anytime soon.

When we look at a goat, we look at overall skill, size and level of competition. Unfortunately Amanda Nunes is the best fighter in a very shallow weight class, compared to 115 where the best talent and overall skill is at. Not her fault but being the best at the shallow weight class is not as impressive as a more deep weight class and strength of competition. Its like Kayla Harrison being the greatest 155 female fighter of all time. While true, it would be unfair statement to say shes the greatest of all time.

Ronda Rousey had a insane -1250 odds to beat Holly Holm in their match and i felt she could not take Holm down and Holm was gonna beat her up standing. So this huge upset is not impossible as some might think. Felicia Spencer might get beaten to a bloody pulp Saturday but she might pull off the gigantic upset. Either was i dont think in 10 years Amanda Nunes will be the 🐐

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

Responses

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

06.03.2020 | 4:55 PM ET

She's a big fish in a small pond. I do think Spencer has a chance of beating her.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 7 hours, and 45 minutes from now.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

06.03.2020 | 5:11 PM ET

I concur with professor fishrats assessment of the situation at hand

* Edited at 06.03.2020, 5:13 PM ET *

phillip53
phillip53
  • Predictions:  45,740  |  68.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,398
  • Post Score: 304

06.03.2020 | 5:32 PM ET

i agree with everything xcon says and i will add a little more since i dont think nunes is any where close to being the greatest female fighter of all time as the ufc promotes. i would take cyborg all day in a rematch, in fact she is still trying for a second fight. hoping to promote a cross promotional fight with bellator. dana saying cyborg didnt want the rematch was a straight up lie on danas part to allow him to cut her. cyborg should have gotten a new contract before the nunes fight. although that wouldnt have guaranteed the rematch, look what dana did to aldo to know that. 

i would hope and suggest that no one buys the ppv, hit dana is his pocketbook to let him know his promoting nunes over cyborg was a BIG mistake.

"you dont need religion to have morals. if you can't tell right from wrong you lack empathy and humanity, not religion."

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

06.03.2020 | 5:37 PM ET

Quite frankly I'd never pay $59.99 to watch this crap!
tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  51,856  |  75.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,337
  • Post Score: 169

06.03.2020 | 9:33 PM ET

@xconchris

Amanda Nunes destroyed Meisha Tate, Ronda Rousey, Holly Holm, and Cris Cyborg.  If that doesn't make her the women's MMA GOAT, then what's it going to take?
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

06.03.2020 | 9:38 PM ET

Sadly I have to agree with Tepid that she is currently the GOAT, because she's got the best record and beaten both other contenders brutally. Saying that she isn't the GOAT because eventually someone will come along who is better isn't a useful observation to make, because that's true of every fighter.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 7 hours, and 45 minutes from now.
Xconchris
Xconchris

06.04.2020 | 10:03 AM ET

I was thinking about this before. She is the best currently right now. That is indisputable on paper, unless you believe cyborg is better like i do and shevchenko won the fight. The only thing i could think of was that maybe its too early to claim goat status for any female fighter possibly?? The female division has not been around long enough to really establish itself. Can we claim the best after only 7 years of UFC competition compared to 27 for the mens.

Also can you claim goat status after 2 controversial wins over 2 other fights who could easily be in the same argument as well. The controversy itself does exist.

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

06.04.2020 | 2:51 PM ET

The time of existence of divisions shouldn't have any bearing on whether or not any given fighter can be considered a GOAT or not in definitive terms because time itself is not the syllogism by which GOAT status is ultimately defined. Records, not time, is that Syllogism.

* Edited at 06.04.2020, 2:57 PM ET *

Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,252  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,242
  • Post Score: 137

06.04.2020 | 3:04 PM ET

I'm with you no hate the goat **** is for the sheep in my opinion anyway.
No current fighter has much chance of being greatest of all time, the sport is growing always its still young.
Both tate and rousey where better in there right neither had good striking defense see previous statement.
As these wmma fighters even catch up with the mma and later real striking these people will all be obsolete footnotes.
The same is true to a lesser degree in grappling I believe they are further along in that regard. 
Due to most coming from a more grappling background at least training wise.
And for the  coup de grâce 
amanda has lost to second string fighters even been finished by them
I will say stopping cyborg was impressive but I can see a rematch going differently. 

"Weasel Piss *********" Dan Hooker

WorstPredictionMan
WorstPredictionMan
  • Predictions:  1,156  |  35.6%
  • Forum Posts:  343
  • Post Score: 675

06.04.2020 | 6:00 PM ET

If you took the roster of the UFC’s male bantamweights, 135 pounds, and you paired them up against Amanda Nunes, she might be able to beat 50 percent of them. That’s not a joke.

You know we always like to use that term 'once in a lifetime'. Once in a lifetime does not apply to Amanda Nunes. It's once ever, in human history. There's never been a woman like her. Her ability to, not just beat great fighters, but destroy them. She's like a superhero. I mean she really is a freak of existence.

When Amanda Nunes leaves the sport you may never see someone like her again, not just in mixed martial arts, but in any sport.

* Edited at 06.04.2020, 6:00 PM ET *

"There goes WorstPredictionMan, the greatest predictor who ever lived."

Xconchris
Xconchris

06.04.2020 | 6:23 PM ET

I am not sure to up vote or down vote that

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

06.04.2020 | 6:31 PM ET

@worstpredictionman with a pick percentage that high I'm gonna have to start calling you average predictionman
phillip53
phillip53
  • Predictions:  45,740  |  68.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,398
  • Post Score: 304

06.04.2020 | 6:31 PM ET

wasnt a hard decision for me, its pure ******** coming from a casual

"you dont need religion to have morals. if you can't tell right from wrong you lack empathy and humanity, not religion."

MuayThaiNinja
MuayThaiNinja
  • Predictions:  4,538  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  217
  • Post Score: 235

06.05.2020 | 8:06 PM ET

The two fights that stand out to make her the GOAT imo are the Cyborg ko and the fact she beat Shevchenko twice (didn't see the 2nd fight so I can't take the decision into consideration).

That said, her divisions are so shallow that if another champ at the lower weight classes can maintain a good streak, they could overtake her just based on quality of competition (ie. young, hungry, have decent win-streaks before getting title shot, etc.)
Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,103  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  3,250
  • Post Score: 190

06.05.2020 | 11:45 PM ET

Actually Nunes is 1st women for win in championship fight with 7...

"Never go down without a fight"

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

06.06.2020 | 10:36 AM ET

After this fight She's also the first to defend both belts after becoming double champ. That's impressive I'll give her that.
mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,786
  • Post Score: 180

06.06.2020 | 11:31 AM ET

The first decision win over Valentina was far more controversial imo. In the 2nd fight Shevchenko was more to blame for not pushing the action so I had no problem with that one and think the majority of those who did were projecting because they thought she was somewhat robbed (in the 1st fight) and the fans too because it was only 3 rds, and no one is taking into account the obvious improvements in overall skill and, specifically, cardio that Amanda has shown.

* Edited at 06.06.2020, 11:31 AM ET *

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

06.06.2020 | 12:28 PM ET

here is the goat pre

her ******* ass whooped by Alexis Davis! Goat indeed. Zingano put a beating on her too! After that beating Nunes couldn't handle sucking so she did what every bad Brazilian fighter does....
Spoiler alert! Steroids!!!! All of a sudden she's an unbeatable cardio machine and twice as thick and toned. Yeah... Right...
Xconchris
Xconchris

06.06.2020 | 3:57 PM ET

Everyone screamed Rhonda was the goat and could beat most of the men at her weight. Joe Rogan cried and said she was the best ever. Then everyone screamed Holm was the goat. Everyone is screaming Nunes is the goat. The goat train will have new passengers soon and we will scream new fighter is the goat. Dont believe the hype

MuayThaiNinja
MuayThaiNinja
  • Predictions:  4,538  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  217
  • Post Score: 235

06.06.2020 | 4:27 PM ET

Yeah I always thought the GOAT title wasn't applied until after a fighter's career was over. Then you go back and have a look at their body of work and you can either put them in that category or not.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : ‘I’m going in there to f— this man up’: Ryan Garcia’s final thoughts on Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : Bill Haney gifts Ryan Garcia ‘Psychology for Dummies’ book
  • MMA Junkie : Brennan Ward nostalgic for Bellator, but ready to wreak havoc in $1 million PFL season
  • MMA Mania : Latest UFC 303 Fight Card, PPV lineup
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight: ‘That’s not a tone of a BMF’
  • Middle Easy : Video – Drunk ‘Karen’ Tries to Pick a Fight with UFC Flyweight Star Maycee Barber
  • Middle Easy : UFC’s Bo Nickal Claps Back At Khamzat Chimaev, Vows To ‘Rag Doll’ Undefeated Star In Future Fight
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Declines Jamahal Hill’s Challenge: ‘I’d Like to Fight for the Title’
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Declines Jamahal Hill’s Challenge : ‘I’d Like to Fight for the Title’
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping explains why Sean Strickland has 'significant advantage' vs. Paulo Costa at UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia press conference video
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia press conference video live now
  • Middle Easy : T.J. Dillashaw Confident Jon Jones Would ‘Easily’ Outwrestle Alex Pereira in Potential Heavyweight Clash
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Haney Vs Garcia Press Conference Video!
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker: Bo Nickal has 'some work to do' before he's ready for top-10 fights
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Arman Tsarukyan & Renato Moicano Talk Wins At UFC 300
  • Middle Easy : UFC 300: Robert Whittaker Reveals Key Factors That Led To Jamahal Hill’s KO Loss vs. Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : Ilia Ultimatum: Defend ‘BMF’ Belt Or I Rematch Volks!
  • UFC.com : UFC Performance Institute In Mexico City Celebrates Inaugural Academy Combine
  • UFC.com : Where We Stand: Lightweight Division | April 2024