Tapology Forums

Let's talk BWs; rankings and matchmaking

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,786
  • Post Score: 180

05.28.2020 | 8:09 PM ET

For me, this is currently the most interesting weight class. The top 8 in the tap consensus rankings along with Aldo and Edgar (not eligible yet) clearly form the top tier with Cruz, Faber, and Dodson being a nice buffer zone between the top ranked fighters and everyone else. 

I get Marlon being #1 even though I thought Aldo won their fight and both Yan & Sandhagen are unbeaten in the UFC but what I don't get is how Sterling is ranked so high. He lost to Assuncao, and his biggest wins are over Munhoz, who also lost to Assuncao although in his promotional debut, and Rivera, who also holds a win over Munhoz. I don't think Raphael losing his rematch to Marlon and then a decision to Sandhagen signal a decline in his skills as much as just facing better competition than any of those 3. Taking all this into account, my rankings:

So I would've rather seen:

Sandhagen vs. Yan for the vacant title 

Marlon vs. Garbrandt 

Jose vs. Sterling 

Assuncao vs. Rivera 

Munhoz vs. Edgar 

Dodson vs. either Cruz or Faber.

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

Responses

pie2munch
pie2munch
  • Predictions:  16,757  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,619
  • Post Score: 279

05.29.2020 | 11:31 AM ET

I would of put

Marlon vs Yan for the title

Sterling vs Sandhagen for the title eliminator

Aldo vs Rivera
Munhoz vs Edgar - already booked
Kape vs Dodson...Interested in how newly signed Kape does in the UFC
Assuncao vs Garbrandt - already booked
Faber vs Barcelos
Cruz vs Font

Wannabeexpert
Wannabeexpert
  • Predictions:  1,220  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 367

05.29.2020 | 11:51 AM ET

I have Yan vs. Sterling

For me the titlematch that should be booked for the vacant title is Petr Yan vs. Aljamain Sterling. 

Title eliminator as mainevent on a fight night is Marlon Moraes vs. Jose Aldo cause i want to see that fight over 5 rounds. 

Cory Sandhagen vs. Cody Garbrandt
Munhoz vs. Edgar

And for february 2021 i want TJ Garbrandt vs. Urijah Faber, this is the only fight i NEED. I know it wont be that great and TJ shoudl win it rather easy but i still need it. 
pie2munch
pie2munch
  • Predictions:  16,757  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,619
  • Post Score: 279

05.29.2020 | 12:00 PM ET

The problem with Sandhagen vs Garbrandt is that Garbrandt has 3 straight losses while Sandhagen has 7 straight wins. Although its a cool fight, right now doesn't fit.

I agree, I forgot about Dillashaw, Faber vs TJ is a good matchup

Marlon vs Aldo in a 5 rounder works too
NickySwaz
NickySwaz
  • Predictions:  2,790  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  941
  • Post Score: 298

05.29.2020 | 1:02 PM ET

Even tho chito is coming off a loss I’d like to see him fight Rivera to see where they both stand in the division, I think Jimmie is on the way out

"“What happened to you, USA? Wake up, USA! Go! Go back for you, go! Go for Jesus. No forgay Jesus people." -Yoel Romero"

Wannabeexpert
Wannabeexpert
  • Predictions:  1,220  |  60.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3
  • Post Score: 367

06.12.2020 | 3:16 AM ET

Yeah Sandhagen vs. Garbrandt was strange

I reread what i wrote and does not now what i was thinking really there, probably thought it was a fun fight and left it there. 
mulefloyd
mulefloyd
  • Predictions:  15,476  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  8,786
  • Post Score: 180

05.13.2022 | 1:18 PM ET

Aldo should get the next title shot

Dillashaw vs. Yan 

unless Aljo and Yan both win, this sets up the next title fight. 

Meanwhile have Vera fight Cruz as a backup title shot OR make Vera/Yan with the intent of giving Marlon the title shot with a win and Dillashaw/Cruz as the backup.

That leaves Sandhagen and Font as the only top 10 fighters coming off a loss and Merab, Simon, Song, and Shore coming off wins. I'd match these 6 up in some order. 

"Grammar. The difference between knowing your **** and knowing you're ****."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier: Michael Chandler 'not driving the sales' in Conor McGregor fight, unlikely to get PPV points
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul Lays Down $10 Million MMA Challenge to Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal: ‘I Want Either One’
  • MMA Mania : Garcia Misses Weight In Latest Circus Stunt
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia weigh-in video live now
  • Bad Left Hook : Charlo invokes right to Madrimov title fight
  • Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Renato Canuto vs Damon Morgan
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz sued by Rodney Petersen over 2023 New Orleans street fight
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz sued by 'Not Logan Paul' Rodney Petersen over 2023 New Orleans street fight
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Haney Vs Garcia Official Weigh Ins!
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz targeted in new Rodney Petersen lawsuit for New Orleans street brawl, Diaz rep responds
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia badly misses weight for Devin Haney fight
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘3 pounds is nothing stop crying’: Ryan Garcia, pros react to Garcia missing weight for Devin Haney showdown
  • Bad Left Hook : Ryan Garcia misses weight, will still fight Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Half-Mexican’ Costa Is Not A ‘Dirty’ Brazilian!
  • MMAFighting.com : Olympic champ David Taylor says ‘door is open’ for move to MMA; Daniel Cormier tells him ‘stick to wrestling’
  • UFC.com : Steve Erceg Hopes To Open Some Eyes
  • UFC.com : Julian Erosa's Monumental March
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 303 ticket prices: Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler could break promotion's gate record
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Snaps Back at Ilia Topuria Over BMF Title Demands: ‘That’s Kind of Un-BMF’
  • MMAFighting.com : Brendan Loughnane details ‘intense’ training sessions with Conor McGregor ahead of PFL return