Tapology Forums

I hate the word fluke

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

TWJake
TWJake
  • Predictions:  6,091  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  2,492
  • Post Score: 338

05.21.2020 | 2:51 AM ET

It is legitimately one of my least favorite thing about MMA, performances being called flukes. It practically removes the stakes from an MMA fight for a huge underdog fighter to pretty much have a flawless performance to not have it qualified as a fluke. 

i dont know where im going with this guys im really tired and i still have 2 hours of work to do tonight

"I know many a troops that I visit when I went to Iraq in 2005... 2-uh excuse me in 19-or.. 05' 06' 07' 08' 09' 2010 2011. I went from the Korwaiten border! All the way up to the Turkish border!" -Tito Ortiz

Responses

tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  52,278  |  75.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,339
  • Post Score: 168

05.21.2020 | 11:32 AM ET

@TWJake

If this was still the old days of MMA, they probably wouldn't be considered flukes, but in modern MMA, the favorite is always expected to win.
Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,263  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  6,257
  • Post Score: 136

05.21.2020 | 2:52 PM ET

Anything can happen or east bloc europe everything can happen.
Translation **** happens doesnt make it a fluke just a persons way of explaining what they cant.
I wont get all trendy or philosophy on ya with little gloves **** happens.
No different than the old days just nobody knew or cared about mma so mark coleman getting mirked by a kickboxer was barely news.
Yeah it's more scientifically approached and better strategies are employed but cant take luck, chance or happen stance out of it.

"“I took no damage,” Hill said. “Most of the fall was me falling down"

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

05.21.2020 | 7:53 PM ET

Ob1 Kenobi said "in my experience, there's no such thing as luck."
Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,149  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,141
  • Post Score: 333

05.21.2020 | 11:56 PM ET

I understand your thoughts but there are absolutely flukes. Bisping beating Rockhold was a fluke to me. My opinion, a fluke is if 1 opponent would loose to the other 99 out of 100 times because the other is just flat out so much better a fighter but comes out on top. Also Mousasi vs Uriah Hall for the 1st fight.

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

05.22.2020 | 12:04 AM ET

I actually don't think Bisping beating Rockhold was a fluke.Don't get me wrong I'm not going to ******** you and say I picked Mike 'The ****' because I didn't, but he definitely had a plan to land that left hook, Rockhold has always been open to them and that fight exposed just how Chinny he is.

That one was a combination of a good plan by Bisping and his team and Rockhold's Hubris.

* Edited at 05.22.2020, 12:04 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 4 days, and 31 minutes from now.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

05.22.2020 | 7:21 AM ET

Biggest fluke?
I'd say Matt sera beating GSP.
Hippie
Hippie

05.22.2020 | 8:39 AM ET

didn’t look like a fluke

pie2munch
pie2munch
  • Predictions:  16,769  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,619
  • Post Score: 279

05.22.2020 | 11:13 AM ET

Although Serra/Gsp is considered a fluke a lot of things contributed to that loss. Gsp himself said he wasn’t in the right frame of mind while Serra had that “rocky” mentality 

Gsp started believing his own hype with everyone telling him he was on invincible and Serra was just a walk on after winning tuf.

A very costly decision to underestimate any opponent. 

Now he’s walking into a fight unprepared and nervous.

So although it seemed like a fluke especially after watching  the rematch, it’s really not if you consider all the variables
pie2munch
pie2munch

05.22.2020 | 11:18 AM ET

I think when there are so many ways to win or lose a fight and we are typically watching the best fighters in the world a favoured fighter losing can’t be considered to fluky, maybe the word would be highly unlikely or lose to is better. 

I guess that’s why odds makers have odds for fights
Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,149  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,141
  • Post Score: 333

05.22.2020 | 11:52 AM ET

@Pie2munch Thats what Fluke pretty much means. People dont like it because they feel its insulting to the fighter. And as MMA fans we don't like to insult fighters or belittle their hard earned wins.

Plus all the white knights out there.

Learn to pronounce noun
  1. an unlikely chance occurrence, especially a surprising piece of luck.
  2. "their triumph was no fluke"

We hate to say Fluke, because Michael Bisping had a game plan to land that left hook or Matt Serra had a game plan to KO George St Pierre. But the chances of them being successful at their game plan, or even repeating the victory 99 out of 100 times is likely never going to happen. We saw what happen for GSP vs Sierra II and Rockhold vs Bisping 3 would have gone down the say way as the first fight between in my opinion.
The issue is we are interpreting "fluke" as a insult and demeaning to fighter, rather then just the meaning of the word. We feel it stakes away from their win or victory. But it is just a observation. Someone winning that is very very unlikely to win, who has little or chance of ever doing that again.
We have no issue using that word in other scenarios. You sleeping with this hot chick was a fluke, your never going to get another 10/10 and she will never sleep with you again. We have no issue using it in this scenario. 
This fighters win was a fluke, now we insult them. They are both the same.
**** Bisping..

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

pie2munch
pie2munch

05.22.2020 | 1:36 PM ET

I guess it comes down on how to interpret fluke, especially when you consider the one meaning including the word luck

Was it lucky Serra or Bisping landed a solid punch, perhaps, but they also maybe drilled that punch over and over during training to “increase” their luck

I don’t see how you can increase a fluke.

Interesting thread though. 

It was a fluke that I responded more than once in this thread, luckily it was due to the probability some of the comments were due to responses to my post

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez gets trial date in attempted murder case
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Love Dana White. There’s No Issues’