Tapology Forums

MMA in Olympics is pointless

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Xconchris
Xconchris
  • Predictions:  6,126  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,131
  • Post Score: 333

04.01.2020 | 11:18 AM ET

Thought i would give you some Quarantine Discussion. 

It might be a unpopular opinion, but i do not agree with adding MMA to the Olympics.

The Olympics are a way for Sports athletes from countries all the around the world to compete against each other every 4 years to see who is the best athlete. Normally these Athletes will only compete in their native countries and this is their only opportunity to compete against other countries and prove they are the best at what they do. World Cup for Soccer.

But for every sport the dynamics are different and so is MMA.

MMA is not a sport which Athletes compete entirely in their respected Country. We actually the MMA olympics all the time. Our Sport is a international sport at all times, were get the best around every corner of the Earth to compete on a regular basis. We pretty much know who is the best fighter internationally, because they compete and travel regularly. We are mostly hosting the Olympics all year round, all the time for MMA.

The only argument is can see against is not all the best athletes compete for the UFC. We know there are many athletes that can achieve top 5 or win titles. I firmly believe Michael Chandler from Bellator could do very good, if not possibly win a title if he was in the UFC. But for the most part, most of the very best MMA, internationally are in the UFC. 

So do we not hold international competition regularly with the majority of the best MMA fighters in the world to see who is the best? So in my opinion having MMA in the Olympics would be redundant because it exists already today.

"Dont take life too serious, you will never make it out alive."

Responses

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

04.01.2020 | 12:22 PM ET

Mma should and eventually will be in the Olympics.

And no offense intended but we do NOT know who the best is. We argue about that all the time.

Pound for pound this, goat that. Nobody knows cause it's subjective.
tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  51,862  |  75.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,337
  • Post Score: 169

04.01.2020 | 12:55 PM ET

@free

I don't think MMA will ever be an olympic sport, because they still want to cling to the idea that only wrestle, box, do Judo, etc.
NickySwaz
NickySwaz
  • Predictions:  2,790  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  941
  • Post Score: 298

04.01.2020 | 1:56 PM ET

I think it will eventually be in but I think it will be amateurs and not pros, 

* Edited at 04.01.2020, 1:56 PM ET *

"“What happened to you, USA? Wake up, USA! Go! Go back for you, go! Go for Jesus. No forgay Jesus people." -Yoel Romero"

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

04.01.2020 | 4:55 PM ET

@tepid you can't halt progress
@nicky I hope amateur
WaterShogun
WaterShogun
  • Predictions:  84  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  4
  • Post Score: 275

04.05.2020 | 9:33 PM ET

It would be cool if there was MMA in the olympics, but it'd be a bunch of young men and women receiving CTE, without a dollar made and without receiving enough fame to cash in on their hard work. 
Also the money being paid in MMA isn't like how it is in Boxing, so you'd compete in all those bouts and be no closer to the multimillion dollar contracts that boxers are receiving from promoters that will in turn protect them, build their brand and try to make them more money as opposed to throwing them in sink or swim situations.
 The downside to that format is the fighters ducking each other and waiting to get paid more as they accumulate more wins over the years and get promoted as the best, but don't fight the best. 
Joshjeffords
Joshjeffords
  • Predictions:  4,252  |  64.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,242
  • Post Score: 137

05.22.2020 | 8:14 PM ET

What year is it 2012

Wow this is an old topic..funny almost exact same opinions now as years ago when I saw this.
I have no idea if it ever will but I dont see any point I prefer the more focused categories.
They could pretty easily dumb it down like boxing I.E head gear, kd rules to eliminate most injury.
There are plenty of other pointless and ******** sports in or have been in olympics so why not?

"Weasel Piss *********" Dan Hooker

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

05.22.2020 | 9:39 PM ET

Agree with WaterShogun apart from the fact It'd be cool to see. I actually don't give a **** about that at all and have no interest in MMA ever becoming an Olympic sport. MMA isn't a sport anyway. It's just an amalgamation of a bunch of different other combat 'sports' that are already in the OlympicsWell Muay Thai isn't but it probably will be eventually. MMA is pretty much boxing/wrestling/judo/BJJ/Muay thai/Karate/sambo. So basically just Muay Thai sambo and BJJ are missing. All of those will get there eventually, Sambo very nearly did.

MMA isn't a sport. It is is prize fighting. It is sports entertainment.

They'd have to clean it up Bigly too and it would look like ****. If you think the Olympic committee is going to allow people to elbowed and kneed in the face you're deluded IMO. 

* Edited at 05.22.2020, 9:50 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 15 hours, and 20 minutes from now.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

05.22.2020 | 10:30 PM ET

I'm pretty sure sambo is an Olympic sport. At least I heard a khabib discussion about judo having more countries competing in the Olympics then sambo does.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

05.23.2020 | 1:07 AM ET

Fun fact: Olympic Gold medals aren't even solid gold, or anything close to it. They are gold plated and their scrap value is less than 600 USD$.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 15 hours, and 20 minutes from now.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

05.23.2020 | 3:32 AM ET

Funner fact so are all championship belts and you the winner/champ have to pay to keep your belt. Boxing belts were $800 

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : ‘Eventually he burns out’: Deontay Wilder only expects a strong first half from Zhilei Zhang
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 live results (7 p.m. ET): Welterweights, featherweights in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : Masvidal ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, But First...
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia weigh-in video at 2 p.m. ET.
  • Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Ffion Davies And Morgan Black Face Each Other In The Grappling Co-Main Event
  • Jits Magazine : Stacked Tournaments Confirmed For Midwest Finishers 18
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria