Tapology Forums

A legit question in regards to mma judging/scoring..

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

loudenSwain
loudenSwain
  • Predictions:  15,071  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,313
  • Post Score: 283

02.10.2020 | 9:06 PM ET

All personal beefs, opinions, animosity or anything else aside I’m curious how YOU ALL would feel about round by round scoring. I believe fighters, corners and fans should know what the score is after each round. 

One could argue you’d see more coasting for guys up 3 rounds. On the other hand more sense of urgency from others. In every other sport players and teams always know if they’re down. I’d like to see that in mma. 

How’s about you?

"This is Prize-Fighting, IDGAF about your family or your problems - MassaBruce"

Responses

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

02.10.2020 | 9:13 PM ET

Yes. If not that then scoring the fight as a whole would be good.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

02.10.2020 | 9:15 PM ET

I'm for it. Absolutely one-hundred-******* percent for it and there's no good reason not to do it. I bet at least some of these corrupt ass judges write in scores for previous rounds in later rounds and it wouldn't surprise me if they write whole new sheets.

Visible scoring would limit the probability of corruption, increase viewer confidence in the system, and make fighters put on better performances.

It's a thing that needs to happen.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 4 days, 21 hours, and 58 minutes from now.
loudenSwain
loudenSwain

02.10.2020 | 9:18 PM ET

I definitely think they should and do both..score the whole fight but still know where people call it between rounds. I’d also like more stalling warnings and calls..even if only docking half points, they’d add up. I’d also call a lot more 10-10 rounds. People hate draws but all these close rounds and controversy...**** it, make them really take the round. 

loudenSwain
loudenSwain

02.10.2020 | 9:25 PM ET

I’d also like midgets. Wouldn’t mind seeing some of those ****** go at it from time to time..amm I right?  I’ll email Coker now. 

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

02.10.2020 | 10:05 PM ET

I no longer support scoring the whole fight. It's one of those things that is sometimes going to be excellent but probably more often than not would be terrible. Sometimes it's very obvious who got beaten up, but it's much more often the case that it's very hard to tell. It would lead to a situation where judges would score things like blood and injuries, and white guys show damage more than black guys to make it even more complicated. I dunno. Seems like more trouble than it's worth. I'd rather occasionally rage because someone got beaten up and won on points than have to wonder endlessly who got hurt more which would also lead to rage....probably more rage than I currently experience and that's a considerable amount of rage.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 4 days, 21 hours, and 58 minutes from now.
loudenSwain
loudenSwain

02.10.2020 | 10:23 PM ET

I don’t mind round by round scoring per se.  My problem is the jump of damage accumulation between two different rounds both too often receiving the same 10-9 scores. I’d personally score more 10-10, 10-8 and 10-7 rounds. I believe people are too scared to go outside the box and do so.  I also play around the half point idea in my head. Silly, maybe? I’ve always admitted to often have unpopular opinions. I own that. But I think it would help build separation between these really close rounds. That way of a fighter slightly controls two rounds with very similar or equal damage to one, yet in the one round the other fighter wins convincingly, yet not complete domination, the guy who hands out the bigger beating still wins the fight. Yes, there would be more draws but a lot of these close ass fights are basically even without an exact scoring system (which is improbable we come up with one). 

* Edited at 02.10.2020, 10:24 PM ET *

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

02.10.2020 | 11:00 PM ET

Well we have the new rules but for whatever reason nobody seems to want to use them, and even if they do, I don't think I've seen a 10-7 yet. I think it's because no judge wants to be the one to break cover. It's definitely better if used properly but there will definitely be a transitional period as the terrible judges we have now adapt and rule unwarranted 10-7's, but yeah I like the idea that you have a 10-9 which is close, a 10-8 which is a solid shellacking and a 10-7 which is on-the-verge-of-unconsciousness- but -saved- by- the- bell ********ery.

Also agree that there should be more 10-10's, and my guess if we had live scoring and the fighters knew where they were at in the moment we wouldn't get many more draws than we have now.
pie2munch
pie2munch
  • Predictions:  16,769  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,619
  • Post Score: 279

02.11.2020 | 1:20 PM ET

Live scoring being used on the next invicta card, and seeing that many women fights go to the judges this should be interesting
nordo
nordo
  • Predictions:  19,360  |  60.9%
  • Forum Posts:  137
  • Post Score: 74

02.11.2020 | 1:41 PM ET

Invicta actually has a suprising amount of finishes

"too slwo"

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

02.11.2020 | 4:08 PM ET

That's gonna be interesting for sure. The next invicta is gonna be a tournament

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : ‘MMA Media Hates Me,’ Ronda Rousey Reacts To Career Backlash & ‘How Happily Everybody Turned’ On UFC Star
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: It PAYS To Be King
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Reveals His ‘Crazy’ Behavior Was a Publicity Stunt Planned Months in Advance
  • MMA Mania : ‘99.9%’ Chance Edwards Vs. Muhammad 2 Happens At UFC 304
  • MMA Junkie : The 10 largest UFC attendances in history
  • MMA Mania : ‘MMA Media Hates Me, It’s Fine’
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Doubles Down On Callout For Alex Pereira Rematch At UFC 301: ‘I Think I Deserve It’
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Goes Off On Logan Paul For Child Trafficking Comments, Claims He Will ‘Destroy’ Paul In Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway's coach breaks down matchup against 'oversized bantamweight' Ilia Topuria
  • MMAFighting.com : Lyoto Machida ‘already breathing fire’ after Luke Rockhold callout, interested in Karate Combat rematch
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Crazy That Something Like This Is Happening At This Level’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev's coach: 'Biggest threat' Justin Gaethje no longer in UFC title picture
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: De La Hoya talks next steps for Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: Oscar De La Hoya talks next steps for Ryan Garcia
  • MMA Mania : Double Champ Islam Next? ‘I Already Beat All These Guys’
  • MMAFighting.com : Justin Gaethje: It’ll be ‘6 months, at least, before I get back to taking shots’ after UFC 300 loss
  • MMA Junkie : Manon Fiorot open to Maycee Barber fight – but only if interim UFC flyweight title at stake
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan fires back at Michael Chandler: 'You are just waiting for a paycheck'
  • MMAFighting.com : Islam Makhachev not interested in Max Holloway matchup: ‘Maybe if he wins his next fight’
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: How much credit does Ryan Garcia deserve for beating Devin Haney?