Topic: UFC 248

UFC 248: Adesanya vs. Romero

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,815
  • Post Score: 47

11.22.2019 | 12:47 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 248
  • Saturday 03.07.2020 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: WME-IMG
  • Venue: T-Mobile Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Daniel Cormier, Joe Rogan
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Interviews: Joe Rogan | Backstage: Megan Olivi
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $2,742,906
  • Attendance: 15,077 (Paid: 9,959)
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: N/A | TV Ratings: 1.19M avg. viewers (ESPN prelims)
  • MMA Bouts: 11
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Israel Adesanya   defeats   Yoel Romero   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Weili Zhang   defeats   Joanna Jędrzejczyk   via Decision, Split   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Beneil Dariush   defeats   Drakkar Klose   via KO/TKO, Overhand Left   1:00 Round 2 of 3, 6:00 Total Bout Page
Neil Magny   defeats   Jingliang Li   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Alex Oliveira   defeats   Max Griffin   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Sean O'Malley   defeats   Jose Alberto Quiñonez   via KO/TKO, Head Kick and Punches   2:02 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Mark Madsen   defeats   Austin Hubbard   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Rodolfo Vieira   defeats   Saparbeg Safarov   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   2:58 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Gerald Meerschaert   defeats   Deron Winn   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   2:13 Round 3 of 3, 12:13 Total Bout Page
Giga Chikadze   defeats   Jamall Emmers   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Batgerel Danaa   defeats   Guido Cannetti   via KO/TKO, Left Hook   3:01 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page

Responses Page 6

jmugwump
jmugwump
  • Predictions:  1,272  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  55
  • Post Score: 131

02.11.2020 | 1:50 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 1079th

Pretty sure some PR guy told him that if you want to create a narrative that sticks in the public's mind, then you need to repeat it constantly. That nosebeeds line worked out perfectly. In the post-fight speech, "John, you know I'm a real petty guy. And, remember what I've been saying. 'I was in the nose bleeds, and I JUST MADE HIS NOSE BLEED'". (And, he literally did in round 1).
Now, he's repeating that line about calling out Romero when no one else does. And, its working. Dana is repeating it now.

I like it when "he tries to act cool".  His first post-fight speech and the pissing in the cage thing, made me a fan for life. As far as I'm concerned, he's entertaining to watch fight, and is good on the mic (mostly - better than the boring humble schtick imo). I mean, even Mcgregor had some cringy moments. 
End of the day, Adesanya can't please everyone. Whatever he's doing, it's working. Prob one of the best paid champions in the company.
Hippie
Hippie

02.11.2020 | 3:04 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 275 Points   |   Tied for 2761st

2020.02.12 10:51 AM ET

bout status update

Evloev vs. Silva de Andrade Changed from Confirmed to Cancelled
2020.02.12 10:51 AM ET

bout announced

Movsar Evloev vs. Jamall Emmers at 145 lbs (65.8 kg)
Detroit Superstar
Detroit Superstar
  • Predictions:  11,385  |  65.6%
  • Forum Posts:  1,331
  • Post Score: 161

02.12.2020 | 11:24 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 525 Points   |   Tied for 793rd

Looks likeCannonier vs Till will be on this ppv.
Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,559
  • Post Score: 275

02.12.2020 | 2:40 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 1144th

@freemoney your post has been removed and your forum privileges are suspended for a few days. It is not acceptable on this website to say that a fighter from Africa is acting "like a ***** slave".  

* Edited at 02.12.2020, 2:41 PM ET *

"I live, I die, I live again."

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

02.12.2020 | 11:51 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 5 Perfect, 425 Points   |   1989th Place

I wasn't going to make this post, but I do feel that ban is a bit hairy-chested. Unless there was another pejorative in there that has been redacted, I don't think what Free wrote was essentially racist and that's an important distinction to make.  It was definitely tactless and insensitive (you know even as I wrote that it felt rich coming from me) due to historicity but even that's complicated. For example, it was quite common in Northern Africa especially but throughout Africa generally for Rival tribes to collaborate with both Arabic (Arabs took literally millions of slaves from Africa and did so for over one thousand years) and European slavers and capture and sell their enemies into slavery. You'd  be hard pushed to find any culture anywhere that hasn't practiced it in some for or another. It's up there with hooking as a human go-to and we've had more than one civilization whose entire economies were dependent on it (looking at you, Norway). 

But I digress. Anyway, although there's no legal definition for hate speech, for better or worse, it's generally accepted that for something to qualify as hate speech there has to be clear employment of pejorative or discriminatory language.Because Slavery--or perhaps more specifically, being enslaved, is not something unique to the African experience--did not simply happen to Africans, it is not pejorative to state that an African is behaving like a slave. The word  slave itself is also not pejorative any more than any other noun--the word 'horse'. It is non-specific in regards to any particular group.

I mentioned Arabic Slavers earlier. Those same Arabic slavers also enslaved Circassians, who were and are caucasian. Additionally at various points in History, The English, Spanish, Greeks, French, and Portugese were all captured and sold into slavery.

Now, I would bet dollars to doughnuts that nobody (yourself included Greg) would bat an eye if Free had said any fighter from the aforementioned nationalities were acting like ***** slaves. But why not? How is the rule different? If having being made a slave is the qualifier, then it would be equally discriminatory. Things have to make sense. There must be coherence, equality before the Law.

I know that it's important to keep racism off these boards. I get it. But it's also important that punishments are only issued when the intent is clear and that guilt is not established through inference. That's not how Laws work, and not how they are meant to work. Presumed innocent until proven guilty--not guilty until proven innocent. As above so below. Things must be able to resolve.

Anyway, I hope you'll go on being careful with that Axe, Greg. I know it's annoying as **** to be criticized, and normally I wouldn't do it because as I have said many times before I think you do an excellent job keeping the moderation fair and balanced on this site. But I feel this particular ban was a bit much over spilled milk. I am sure you did correctly identify what it was Free was thinking of, but again, we don't punish people for thought-crime. We haven't quite yet tipped over into INGSOC. He's definitely an idiot, but what he wrote wasn't categorically racist.

* Edited at 02.13.2020, 12:12 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 16 hours, and 55 minutes from now.
jmugwump
jmugwump

02.13.2020 | 6:53 AM ET

"I mentioned Arabic Slavers earlier. Those same Arabic slavers also enslaved Circassians, who were and are caucasian. Additionally at various points in History, The English, Spanish, Greeks, French, and Portugese were all captured and sold into slavery."
Yeh, I'm sure that's what he meant. Pure coincidence....Look, he wanted to talk **** about Adesanya, and decided to go with one that mocked black slavery. He may or may not be racist, but he DID make a racist "joke". End of story. He'll be back in a couple days.
Gregory
Gregory

02.13.2020 | 8:47 AM ET

@fishrat I believe jmugwump has hit the nail on the head.

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

02.13.2020 | 3:32 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 5 Perfect, 425 Points   |   1989th Place

@Jmug how do you..... know? Belief is not knowledge. As of this very minute there are people in Asylums who believe they are the lord and savior Jesus ChristSince you used inverted commas it would appear you are not even certain ( "Joke") as to what the spirit of intent was. Either that, or you think it was an allusion to a smear. I don't read it that way at all. For me to read it that way, he'd have had to have used 'Black' or 'African' as a prefix to the word 'slave'. He  didn't. He used '*****', which is racially indeterminate. What Greg and yourself have done is arrive at the conclusion through inference. You have both supposed. And that is apophenia.

And it leads to scenarios such as this; people being accused of racism for  having adopted dogs with white fur.

Now, I'm sure that both of you think this is patently ridiculous. I have to believe that's true. But what you both need to understand is that you've done essentially the same thing as whoever posted this; you have made a value judgement via non sequitur.

I ask you both to at least consider the implications of what the world would look like if that process was broadly instituted. Imagine a world in which when speaking, you need not refer to any definite article but could still not just accused, but convicted, of all manner of things because what you literally said had an abstract component that could be related to something else not through facts, but through sophistry. 

That would be a world in which neither of you would want to live.

That's all I'm going to say about this debacle.

* Edited at 02.13.2020, 3:35 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 16 hours, and 55 minutes from now.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

02.16.2020 | 11:57 AM ET

Nothing about my post was racist. I never factored race in to account nor did I ever mention or make fun of black slavery. Jmug is a burner account used by a mental ******. 
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

02.16.2020 | 11:58 AM ET

@fish thanks for sticking up for me brother it was heart warming even though I barely understood half of it.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

02.16.2020 | 12:00 PM ET

Romero is gonna whip adesanya's black ass.

@greg is this racist too? I said black and whip against a black fighter.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

02.16.2020 | 12:01 PM ET

Greg once told me I can't say Nganou was a sand digger because digger rhymes with the n word.
Who cares that nganou actually was a sand digger.
Gregory
Gregory

02.16.2020 | 2:08 PM ET

@free -

1) No, it was not because of rhyming with the n word.

2) Congratulations on getting yourself suspended again. This time for longer.  I don't appreciate you trying to come right back and give me a hard time and be a pain in the ass. I'm trying to give you plenty of chances and you just won't stop. I don't appreciate it. And since you now have a history of saying questionable things about race, you're not going to get as much benefit of the doubt.

Gregory
Gregory

02.16.2020 | 2:22 PM ET

I mean, we barely do ANY moderation on this website. We let people say just about whatever the hell they want.

If we clamp down a bit on something you are saying or doing, it's likely you've struck a nerve. Please just say something like "my bad" or "ok I'll accept your rules even if I don't agree with them".  It's deeply annoying and unnecessary to be like "okay, let me see how far I can push the boundaries." 

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,766  |  66.8%
  • Forum Posts:  7,536
  • Post Score: 262

02.16.2020 | 10:43 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 480 Points   |   Tied for 1324th

Could Weili Aiming for Joanna Silicone Titties be a legiment stratigie because could it hurt Joanna or something 

* Edited at 02.16.2020, 10:44 PM ET *

"Quack quack quack"

phillip53
phillip53
  • Predictions:  45,740  |  68.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,398
  • Post Score: 304

02.17.2020 | 12:19 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 530 Points   |   Tied for 730th

i would think fighting with breast implants could potentially be dangerous. they have been known to rupture on occasion. i think the new york commission banned pearl gonzalez from fighting  because she has implants. ive never heard of a fighter intentionally targeting the breasts, but its not illegal as far as i know, punches to the chest are allowed, reyes knocked the cheater down with a punch to the chest. so, why not?

* Edited at 02.17.2020, 12:34 AM ET *

"you dont need religion to have morals. if you can't tell right from wrong you lack empathy and humanity, not religion."

BradThom717
BradThom717
  • Predictions:  9,430  |  68.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,387
  • Post Score: 271

02.17.2020 | 3:44 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 555 Points   |   Tied for 526th

@Phillilp. They absolutely didn't permit Pearl Gonzalez to fight solely on the breast implant thing. Which is why I kinda feel like it was Rachel Ostovich who fought first with breast implants.... If I'm not mistaken. But yeah man. Push Kicks & Teeps to the boobs. Could it rupture an implant........ Maybe, idk. I think it would be pretty unlikely tho. 

"**** Fentanyl & **** Opiates too..."

phillip53
phillip53
  • Predictions:  45,740  |  68.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,398
  • Post Score: 304

02.17.2020 | 4:10 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 530 Points   |   Tied for 730th

you'd think that it would be counter productive to get implants, besides the risk of rupture, no matter how slim that is, its just extra weight to cut.

"you dont need religion to have morals. if you can't tell right from wrong you lack empathy and humanity, not religion."

BradThom717
BradThom717
  • Predictions:  9,430  |  68.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,387
  • Post Score: 271

02.17.2020 | 8:24 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 555 Points   |   Tied for 526th

And not just that, but I kinda think having these big boobs would make certain things related to fighting more difficult. I would imagine..... 

"**** Fentanyl & **** Opiates too..."

jmugwump
jmugwump

02.18.2020 | 2:21 AM ET

@free
Burner account? What would be the point of a burner account? To keep my other anonymous account anonymous, lol? Just because I don't spend my entire life here doesn't mean I'm spending it on another account. If we're talking about misrepresentation, I'm actually kinda pissed off at people like you. When I first got on here I was following your advice based on your high pick percentage. Turns out you lot are just picking the favourites from hundreds of BS promotions, where the favourites are a lock. Your UFC picks are just as **** as mine. Don't see why so many of you are working so hard to get high pick rates. Is the prize false respect from other members? Pfff. THAT is "mentally ********".

Page 6

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Ffion Davies And Morgan Black Face Each Other In The Grappling Co-Main Event
  • Jits Magazine : Stacked Tournaments Confirmed For Midwest Finishers 18
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Koreshkov vs. Umalatov
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: ‘I Decide Who, When, And Where’
  • MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career