Tapology Forums

Tapology Shirt?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

ChronoGears14
ChronoGears14
  • Predictions:  2,123  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  190
  • Post Score: 372

08.06.2019 | 11:32 PM ET

I'd buy and wear a Tapology shirt. Just throwing that out there. Anybody else?

"Stupidity lies in wanting to draw conclusions." ― Gustave Flaubert

Responses Page 2

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,560
  • Post Score: 275

08.08.2019 | 8:14 AM ET

The challenges with tshirts, hoodies, etc is managing the costs, the quality of the item, and the logistics.

As @OldManGloom pointed out, we once printed off a batch of shirts and put them up for sale, but it didn't end up working out that well. There were tons of Tapology users who specifically said they'd buy one, but then when we actually ordered and put them up for sale, most of those people didn't actually go through with it.

It's also difficult to be able to offer them for an affordable price. We would want any of our stuff/gear to be of good quality, but it's hard to oversee and manage that if you're also trying to keep the price of the item low.  There are "drop-shipping" companies that will print and deliver your gear on-demand as people place orders, but we would want our gear to have cool designs and this approach makes quality control harder.

For the time being I don't think we'll make any Tapology gear available, but there's a good chance we will in the future once we think the circumstances are right.

"I live, I die, I live again."

WorstPredictionMan
WorstPredictionMan
  • Predictions:  1,156  |  35.6%
  • Forum Posts:  343
  • Post Score: 675

08.08.2019 | 2:33 PM ET

Will there be a Tapology gi?

I think you're leaving money on the table by not selling Tapology gis. 

You can also sell belts too. I'm only a purple belt now but some day I see myself wearing a real life bacon belt.

All I'm saying is think about it. I mean I don't even do jiu-jitsu, but I'd still rock the gi out in public because I can.

* Edited at 08.08.2019, 4:15 PM ET *

"There goes WorstPredictionMan, the greatest predictor who ever lived."

ChronoGears14
ChronoGears14
  • Predictions:  2,123  |  61.5%
  • Forum Posts:  190
  • Post Score: 372

08.08.2019 | 4:13 PM ET

@greg that all makes total sense. Seven people thumbing my post isn't exactly market research! 

"Stupidity lies in wanting to draw conclusions." ― Gustave Flaubert

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

08.08.2019 | 5:12 PM ET

Well greg why not just issue them as made-to-order? Have people front the money first. Naturally everything is about scale of economy when it comes to this stuff but my guess is the people who would be willing to pay for a tap hoodie would be willing to pay more for a screenprinted hoodie of decent quality. Gildans are good and sensibly priced. I'd be surprised if you couldn't get a standard cotton heavy gildan pullover done for around 40$ USD. Charge sixty for it.I mean all you're gonna do is a black hoodie with the tap logo on it in white, right? I'd pay that plus shipping.

* Edited at 08.08.2019, 5:20 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, and 44 minutes from now.
Gregory
Gregory

08.08.2019 | 5:28 PM ET

@fish yeah but then what happens when someone orders one, the on-demand printer ships it and the logo is off-center, and the customer wants to exchange it, etc.  it quickly becomes so much time and headache.

i promise at SOME point we'll make some tapology gear available. but not until we've found the right company to handle it and feel confident it will go easy and smoothly.  we have so much other stuff we need to work on!

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

08.08.2019 | 5:44 PM ET

Greg I'd use an a company that actually does screen printing with ink as opposed to that transfer PVC thing (which is basically what 90% of these online hoodie custom shops do).Oldschool is better IMO. You have to pay for the initial screen, but you know it's gonna be right every time, and the quality is waaaay better. Only problem with white on black is that they tend to have to do two passes of ink. I've had a few custom hoodies made here in Aus. Cost me about 80$ aud per hoodie, but services are more expensive in Australia than the US and obviously it gets cheaper the more you buy, one at a time is the most expensive format.

There'll be a small company in your area that does the oldschool ink screening. The company I had mine done through was literally just two guys in a little room.

The way to get around a wonky one (but again this won't happen if you get them screened) is just to not send them out. Vet them  before postage. Obviously this means you have to store them and post them, but it's not hard to stash a box of even 100 hoodies somewhere. That way you make it the printer's problem, not yours. They'll guarantee work, so if one sucks, send it back and get reimbursed.

Anyways, when you're ready let me know. The Mrs really is very good at this stuff. She is currently under the tutelage of designers who have worked on things like tru detective and game of thrones. She can divvy up a 3d model of the whole thing for use in the store section if you added one.

* Edited at 08.08.2019, 5:49 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, and 44 minutes from now.
Gregory
Gregory

08.08.2019 | 8:18 PM ET

thanks @fish good info there. we've done what I'm guessing you're calling the PVC thing.  and the quality control has been an issue.  the remaining problem with this approach though is having to do the shipping ourselves. within the U.S. it's reasonable, but for international the shipping costs are insane!  that's why i'd like to find one of these dropship / fulfillment partners to do it all for us. but i'd like to have that AND the good quality control of the gear.

can you send me an email? i have a follow up question for you

Zulizani
Zulizani
  • Predictions:  3,156  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  685
  • Post Score: 226

08.08.2019 | 8:51 PM ET

Fish got a fish on the line. Yaass

"You're all my children, I'll discipline you how I feel" Massabruce

Gramz
Gramz
  • Predictions:  7,369  |  65.5%
  • Forum Posts:  337
  • Post Score: 232

08.08.2019 | 9:00 PM ET

I'd rock a black t-shirt or a hoodie. Let me know if these ever become available.

"My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud." - Henry Rollins

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

08.08.2019 | 9:11 PM ET

@Greg yeah I'll email you after PFL.
loudenSwain
loudenSwain
  • Predictions:  15,071  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,313
  • Post Score: 283

08.08.2019 | 10:10 PM ET

I’ll take a XXL and trucker style hat. PM me and I’ll tell you where you can send them and the check for sponsorship $

"This is Prize-Fighting, IDGAF about your family or your problems - MassaBruce"

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

08.11.2019 | 10:00 PM ET

can i make my own unofficial one ( stencil or otherwise ) till they are back in. i remember when i first joined the tees were there, i foolishly thought they would be there forever

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

08.11.2019 | 10:02 PM ET

it is alot of trouble to go through especially with the let downs before but who knows

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

08.12.2019 | 1:28 AM ET

I bet I can get it done for 35 usd$ per hoody with zero quality control issues. Probably less.

* Edited at 08.12.2019, 1:30 AM ET *

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• PFL 3 Tapology coverage is now live
  • Brendan Loughnane vs. Pedro Carvalho - The fighters are making their walk-outs.
  • Join the PFL 3 live discussion
  • Tapology Picks: Brendan Loughnane 97% Pedro Carvalho 3%
  • Brendan Loughnane (27-5-0) England, GB is the #34th Top Featherweight MMA fighter.
  • Pedro "The Game" Carvalho (13-8-0) Dublin, IE is the #101st Top Featherweight MMA fighter.
  • PFL 3 features 12 MMA bouts
  • The event takes place from Wintrust Arena in Chicago, Illinois