Tapology Forums

Discussion on Knockout Power

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

ConcreteCracker
ConcreteCracker
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  64
  • Post Score: 30

07.23.2019 | 5:29 PM ET

Knockout power is one of the most advantageous perks a fighter can have if they have a skillset that complements it. The ability itself also sort of confuses me though. I see alot of fighters that use it in many different ways. Someone like Francis Ngannou was deemed to have the most K.O power in the UFC and I see why. He has alot of torque and elastic recoil but compare him to someone like Stipe who's more of a slick in and out but also a Backpeddle striker who uses more of the traditional pivot and twist for the K.O. 

Also someone like Dan Henderson was said to be as hard as wood (pause) by Joe Rogan is litteraly the walking epitome of knockout power. If you watched his fights then you know every strike he lands flush has a very clear effect almost like his punch was the cure for insomnia and unlike Ngannou he could carry that insane power for 5 rounds. He would step in and throw any attack of his with bad intentions and high intensity but in a very stiff manor (which I'm aware that's just the way his body is). These differences just raises questions like

Is K.O power really born or made?

Can K.O power that is made be better than someone born with it?

Does physical ability have alot more to do with it than I think?

Is it possible to transform your body to be significantly more likely to deliver a knockout and if so what would be an ideal body type?

And I want to also know who do you think has the most Knockout power and why?

Thanks for reading

"Adorable little tough guy" - loudenSwain aka the sus gay bottom drunk guy

Responses

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

07.23.2019 | 5:51 PM ET

No, you can't make KO power. You can only refine it, and appropriate it. You cannot make a puncher. Gift from God. Earnie Shavers is a good example. Never Boxed a day in his life, they took him to a boxing Gym, got him sparring and he would just KO everyone despite being utterly skilless.

It's possible to give yourself more power, but all this involves is adding more mass, and learning to punch properly.

In the UFC, Ngganou has the most KO power. I think P4P in the UFC it might Kattar. His power is incredible and underrated.

* Edited at 07.23.2019, 5:51 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 3 days, 17 hours, and 29 minutes from now.
ConcreteCracker
ConcreteCracker
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  64
  • Post Score: 30

07.23.2019 | 6:04 PM ET

Sort of agree but are you sure about the utterly skilless but still KO sparring partners part? Like did he K.O skilled sparring partners or same level? I mean he does have quite the resume and a rediculous K.O to win ratio. Not saying that's a lie but stories from the past do often fade and become destorted especially passed on plus I don't know if that part's legit or how legit it is. Again not saying it didn't happen but seems weird. 

"Adorable little tough guy" - loudenSwain aka the sus gay bottom drunk guy

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

07.23.2019 | 6:32 PM ET

It's true. look at his amateur record. Ko'ed something like 40 people straight out the gate.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 3 days, 17 hours, and 29 minutes from now.
Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,115  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,255
  • Post Score: 189

07.23.2019 | 7:52 PM ET

like fish said, KO power is born. If you don't have, you can add some by training, but it will never compare to " born with it power". Can you remember a top fighter that was not a KO artist and became it? I can't

KO power is not linked to the physical body. Again, you can add some by being in shape but not a lot. Nelson & Hunt are good example of it.

I'm in a very good shape doing sport many times a week and got an amateur fighting background. 2 of my friends are the same weight then me,  but not in good shape. I beat them in any existing sport that's demand a minimum condition (hockey, basket, fighting, hiking, long distance running, etc...) But still, they hit heavier than I on the punching machine.

"Never go down without a fight"

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

07.24.2019 | 1:40 PM ET

@concretecracker good to c u back bud. You always bring the technique debates. I like it. 
I think timing is a big factor in it. Stop hits, counters and any shot u don't see. 
Also proper punch mechanic's and techniques will definitely help someone punch harder.
Ultimately there's the talent your born with and the skills u train for I'd say both are equal.
But both these guys know more then me about it I think. If they say born with it I'd be inclined to believe them.
Shavers is widely considered the biggest puncher ever.

Right now in ufc I'd say Derrek Lewis is the man. Then Nganou then DC.
 Lewis with the overhand
Nganou with those check hooks
And DC with those swinging arm hooks like he caught stipe in the dirty boxing.
Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,115  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,255
  • Post Score: 189

07.25.2019 | 10:12 AM ET

Its hard to determine biggest KO power in the UFC. I think its N'Gannou but I may be influenced by how he look. Rumble was one of the best at it. Romero also hit heavy!

I agree with Lewis (even if I hate him) The advantage Lewis have is that he still punch hard even if he is tired (Volkov fight best example)

* Edited at 07.25.2019, 10:17 AM ET *

"Never go down without a fight"

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

07.27.2019 | 11:55 PM ET

"Knockout power means nothing, I am God" - Demian Maia

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Elijah Dorsey To Challenge Max Hanson For Welterweight Title At Enigma Invitational 15
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings