Tapology Forums

Ben Askren is Overrated, Prove me otherwise.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

WIGGALEE
WIGGALEE
  • Predictions:  2,390  |  56.4%
  • Forum Posts:  10
  • Post Score: 80

07.17.2019 | 8:05 PM ET

After seeing Ben fight for a while I have been asking myself if Ben can compete with the Best in the world, and after seeing Ben get absolutely trashed on the feet against Robbie Lawler, despite Ben getting a controversial win. And to see him get knocked out in 3 seconds officially 5. I yet again asked myself is he really equipped to make it in the UFC. My awnser is No and here is why.

Don't get me wrong Ben is an excellent wrestler. But that's about it. Ben has arguably the worst stand up game that is ranked in the top 10 across all weight classes in the UFC. To make my case valid i compared Ben with other Wrestlers that are currently Champions or in the Top 5. 
The likes of Cejudo, Khabib, Usman, Colby, Woodly, Yoel, Jon Jones, DC, Stipe and more...
There is one thing these fighters have that Ben don't, and that is that they can stand and trade blows and can always fall back on their ground game if they are losing the stand up game.
Another thing some of these fighters do better than Ben is setting up the takedown and that's because they can stand up if needed.
Ben can't stand up and will never be able to win a stand up fight against a great wrestler like himself.
Let's say Ben fought Khabib, Usman, Colby or even his good friend Woodly.
I can't see how Ben could beat them anywhere tbh. I see all of them over power him and stuffing every attempt of a takedown Ben will throw at them, because they have more or less the same lvl of wrestling as Ben imo.
And what does all of these fighters have that Ben don't 
, oh yes a stand up game. 
Every one of them would make it a striking game v Ben and Ben would lose everytime. And that one puncher chance he has, is highly unlikely since he has no power in his shots.
Ben would lose and it's due to his lack of stand up game.
I am not saying that Khabib, Cejudo, Usman and Colby has excellent striking. I am saying that they have better and equal ground game. Their striking skills are semi decent to decent. And Ben's stand up is almost non existent.
You Ben Askren fans will argue that he is better than them in the wrestling department and would take them down regardless of him being bad standing up, I have to say i disagree completely.

This is why i think Ben Askren is overrated and will never become a champion in the UFC.

"You want some! I'm gonna give it to you! "

Responses Page 2

Rombu
Rombu
  • Predictions:  10,098  |  72.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,258
  • Post Score: 303

12.25.2019 | 9:35 AM ET

he don't want to harm ya

wigaleee wigaleee.... having christmas twice this year ?! hahaha

You "work" for one these mma news site ?!?! You're opinion is always so mainstream and claiming to have seasoned arguments xD 

fun stuff considering how I enjoy wasting time some times xD

Lets look at it that way dude, Ben Askren has given you the opportunity to experience what it would be like to try something you won't ever do, face big-time adversity. That's why when you "write" about him you shouldn't hide behind his failure but learn from it. As he did masterfully for everybody to watch.

What goes around comes back around ; )

sharky ways

"the day these thick white clouds changed the climate on this planet forever" - Reggae Shark

WIGGALEE
WIGGALEE
  • Predictions:  2,390  |  56.4%
  • Forum Posts:  10
  • Post Score: 80

12.26.2019 | 5:06 AM ET

TBH

Ben was never going to succeed in the UFC
Mainstream. Far from it people were on the Ben Askren hype train. Giving Jorge not even a 50/50 chance.
I just knew he wasn't cut 4 the UFC.
His fights outside the UFC promotion never once told me this dude would win a title in the UFC. He literally has zero stand up game, I never once thought Ben would succeed in the UFC.

Unlike Woodly who I knew would become a champion. Because he had it all and still has it all. Something his bud Ben Askren didn't have a championship lvl skill of mma. Not just wrestling.

"You want some! I'm gonna give it to you! "

Rombu
Rombu
  • Predictions:  10,098  |  72.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,258
  • Post Score: 303

12.26.2019 | 6:49 AM ET

rien ne va plus

man... nobody argues that Ben Askren isn't Israel Adesanya...
everybody is different in this sport and until we transition to a time where everybody is the shiat at everything it will continue to be like this.

So for example you see a lot of them fighters not having an impressive stand up game but really good ground game and vice versa. 

Ben Askren is a guy with impressive ground game wrestling skills which he displayed in every promotion he fought for. He was never a striker nor did he really have any stand up game. His fights always needed to go to the ground and before they went there he had to endure punishment which mostly he did. Say what you want about Askren but the dude is tough. 
But as nobody was able to destroy the guy outside the UFC and he was curious as for what he would be able to achieve at the highest level. Then Dana White was like, naa the guy is boring and will never fight in the UFC...

Mr. White got proven wrong there big. The 3 fights Askren had in the UFC were 3 great fights. The way he handled the two losses one of them being the fastest K.O. in UFC history IMO is legendary. 
The man had a shot at it and I enjoyed watching every bit of it.

* Edited at 12.26.2019, 6:50 AM ET *

"the day these thick white clouds changed the climate on this planet forever" - Reggae Shark

tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  52,278  |  75.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,339
  • Post Score: 168

12.26.2019 | 11:30 AM ET

I think Ben Askren was destined to fail in the UFC, because Dana White hated him.  I think he should have retired after ONE Championship released him.

* Edited at 12.26.2019, 11:32 AM ET *

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,978  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

12.26.2019 | 9:36 PM ET

I disagree. How does Dana White hating him effect the outcome of his fights? He answered the question of how good he really was and made some good money doing it. 

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

tepid55
tepid55

12.26.2019 | 11:44 PM ET

@PilloryChoke

Dana's hatred of Askren effected who he was booked against.
Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,115  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,255
  • Post Score: 189

12.27.2019 | 12:56 AM ET

Maia was beat-up many times by wresler before facing Askren. thats was a favorable match-making its only that Askren was not a UFC top 10 after all!

"Never go down without a fight"

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

12.27.2019 | 9:48 AM ET

Ben clearly asked to face the best. Dana gave him that. 

Proves ufc still has the best fighters. 
tepid55
tepid55

12.27.2019 | 10:01 AM ET

@free

No, all it proves is that Dana White is like Vince McMahon, in his mind, if he didn't make you a star, you weren't a star.  Ben Askren should've stayed in ONE Championship where the sport of MMA is treated with the respect it deserves.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

12.27.2019 | 10:07 AM ET

@tepid askren was an undefeated champion from two promotions that are trying to rival the ufc. 
Yet in the ufc he barely won a fight and retired.
Clearly ufc is still the king best promotion best fighters. Sorry robo buddy the proof is in the pudding.

P.s. that's a human saying don't burn out your processor trying to understand what pudding has to do with fighting.
tepid55
tepid55

12.27.2019 | 12:05 PM ET

@free

Demetrious "Mighty Mouse" Johnson didn't start his career in ONE Championship, but they still say that he's the pound-for-pound GOAT in MMA on the men's side.

P.S.

Just because I didn't see Bill Russell win 11 NBA champioships doesn't mean that it didn't happen.

* Edited at 12.27.2019, 12:10 PM ET *

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

12.27.2019 | 3:59 PM ET

@tepid Nganou would kill mighty mouse by accidentally sitting on him. 
Stop pretending. 
He has zero chance against any ufc top five in any division from lightweight up. 
He lost to cringejudo 

P.s who is they exactly. Do u mean u and other people on this forum? Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I don't say he is not since he lost to cejudo and left like a fool to go to whoever the **** and fight larger less skilled competition. He may as well have moved up a division in the ufc. But he just wanted money and was afraid to take the tj fight.
C'mon bro. Demetrius Johnson is the pound for pound king of my ****!
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

12.27.2019 | 4:03 PM ET

I'm sorry I'm just sick of that nonsense. Jon Jones would kill him people say pound for pound just to argue a tiny guy can beat a bigger guy. C'mon that happens sometimes. Not often and Even then only not really.

P.s. I jerked off last night but nobody was around.
Did it make a sound?
tepid55
tepid55

12.27.2019 | 9:51 PM ET

@free

My point is that ONE Championship mentions the success DJ had in the UFC, the UFC never talked about Ben Askren's accomplishments in ONE Championship or Bellator.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

12.28.2019 | 1:08 PM ET

@tepid that's because one is beneath ufc in the mma promotion hierarchy. One needs to do that. People knowing they have ufc fighters helps them get more fans. Bellator does that too.

Ufc doesn't mention it because they don't have  too and cause that's the competition. They only do that with the promotions they bought.

P.s. you're not a very well programmed robot are you?
tepid55
tepid55

12.28.2019 | 1:22 PM ET

@free

The main difference I see with ONE Championship is that I would be proud to be associated with them, whereas I would be extremely ashamed to be associated with the UFC.  I think people would rather take their kids to see something where respect is emphasised and self promotion is frowned upon.

* Edited at 12.28.2019, 1:54 PM ET *

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

12.28.2019 | 1:27 PM ET

What!!!??? You gotta be a ******* idiot or a fighter to take your kids to watch mma. 

@tepid R. U. A. ROBOT??
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

12.28.2019 | 1:28 PM ET

@tepid tell me the square root of something
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

12.28.2019 | 1:29 PM ET

@tepid and one has no honour that's obvious
tepid55
tepid55

12.28.2019 | 1:52 PM ET

I'm saying that if someone wanted to take their family to see an MMA event, I'd rather it be a ONE Championship event, because respect for the sport and fellow fighters is emphasised.

Page 2

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Chocolatito set for July 12 comeback against Barrera
  • Middle Easy : Kamaru Usman Says Dana White ’10-7ed The Media’ With UFC 300’s Success
  • UFC.com : UFC And Morgan & Morgan Announce Multi-year Renewal Of Marketing Partnership
  • UFC.com : UFC 300 50/50 Charity Raffle Raises More Than $112,000
  • MMA Junkie : UFC heavyweight champ Jon Jones announces return to training after surgery for torn pectoral
  • MMA Mania : No-puria For ‘Suga’ — ‘Merab Is Going To Whoop His Ass’
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan Fires Back At Michael Chandler For Criticizing His Decision To Turn Down Islam Makhachev Title Fight
  • Jits Magazine : Mikey Musumeci Moves Up To Challenge Kade Ruotolo For Lightweight Title At ONE 168
  • MMAFighting.com : Israel Adesanya reflects on Alex Pereira rivalry: ‘He’s a special human being’
  • MMA Junkie : Justin Gaethje plans to limit physical training for 'six months at least' after UFC 300 knockout loss
  • MMA Mania : Garcia: ‘Crazy’ Gimmick Planned Months In Advance
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Says He Is Likely To Earn ‘$30-50 Million’ From Devin Haney Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘My son got down on you’: Bill Haney and Floyd Mayweather get into heated argument online
  • MMAFighting.com : Ilia Topuria on Sean O’Malley superfight: ‘If he defends the belt, that’s going to be the biggest fight in UFC history’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 pre-event facts: Karine Silva looks to continue historic octagon start
  • Middle Easy : Maycee Barber Details Parking Lot Incident With ‘Crazy Lady’, Says She Texted Dana White About Possibly Going To Jail
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry targets fights with Jake Paul and 'fat b*tch' Darren Till if successful at BKFC KnuckleMania 4
  • Jits Magazine : Star-Studded Lineup Confirmed For UFC Fight Pass Invitational 7
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Chandler criticizes Arman Tsarukyan turning down UFC 302 title fight, Tsrukyan unloads back
  • MMA Mania : UFC 304 Official For July 27 In Manchester