Tapology Forums

Ben Askren is Overrated, Prove me otherwise.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

WIGGALEE
WIGGALEE
  • Predictions:  2,390  |  56.4%
  • Forum Posts:  10
  • Post Score: 80

07.17.2019 | 8:05 PM ET

After seeing Ben fight for a while I have been asking myself if Ben can compete with the Best in the world, and after seeing Ben get absolutely trashed on the feet against Robbie Lawler, despite Ben getting a controversial win. And to see him get knocked out in 3 seconds officially 5. I yet again asked myself is he really equipped to make it in the UFC. My awnser is No and here is why.

Don't get me wrong Ben is an excellent wrestler. But that's about it. Ben has arguably the worst stand up game that is ranked in the top 10 across all weight classes in the UFC. To make my case valid i compared Ben with other Wrestlers that are currently Champions or in the Top 5. 
The likes of Cejudo, Khabib, Usman, Colby, Woodly, Yoel, Jon Jones, DC, Stipe and more...
There is one thing these fighters have that Ben don't, and that is that they can stand and trade blows and can always fall back on their ground game if they are losing the stand up game.
Another thing some of these fighters do better than Ben is setting up the takedown and that's because they can stand up if needed.
Ben can't stand up and will never be able to win a stand up fight against a great wrestler like himself.
Let's say Ben fought Khabib, Usman, Colby or even his good friend Woodly.
I can't see how Ben could beat them anywhere tbh. I see all of them over power him and stuffing every attempt of a takedown Ben will throw at them, because they have more or less the same lvl of wrestling as Ben imo.
And what does all of these fighters have that Ben don't 
, oh yes a stand up game. 
Every one of them would make it a striking game v Ben and Ben would lose everytime. And that one puncher chance he has, is highly unlikely since he has no power in his shots.
Ben would lose and it's due to his lack of stand up game.
I am not saying that Khabib, Cejudo, Usman and Colby has excellent striking. I am saying that they have better and equal ground game. Their striking skills are semi decent to decent. And Ben's stand up is almost non existent.
You Ben Askren fans will argue that he is better than them in the wrestling department and would take them down regardless of him being bad standing up, I have to say i disagree completely.

This is why i think Ben Askren is overrated and will never become a champion in the UFC.

"You want some! I'm gonna give it to you! "

Responses

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

07.17.2019 | 8:29 PM ET

loudenSwain
loudenSwain
  • Predictions:  15,071  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,313
  • Post Score: 283

07.17.2019 | 8:32 PM ET

TLDR 

"This is Prize-Fighting, IDGAF about your family or your problems - MassaBruce"

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

07.17.2019 | 8:38 PM ET

Yeah I read the title and thought who is this fool who thinks I need to prove him anything.
WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

07.18.2019 | 5:56 AM ET

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

07.18.2019 | 5:59 AM ET

Ben just had bad luck when he ran into rough neck backyard thug Jorge, Jorge vs Kamaru though, who wins that!? it will be hard for Kamaru to keep him down for 5 rounds ..

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WIGGALEE
WIGGALEE

11.06.2019 | 1:17 PM ET

Easy to predict

I told y'all 

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

11.06.2019 | 2:28 PM ET

Told us what. Guy is brand new and he fought three of the ufc best killers for his first three ufc fights.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

11.06.2019 | 2:58 PM ET

^This. I don't like Askren but it's not as though he's had anyone easy in the UFC. Getting Jorge on Debut is insane. He was winning the Maia fight until he lost it.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 5 days, 12 hours, and 43 minutes from now.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

11.06.2019 | 6:06 PM ET

Yeah fish except he actually got Robby Lawler for his debut. Even worse then masvidal in my opinion.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

11.06.2019 | 6:12 PM ET

Totally forgot about the Lawler fight. Yeah.....I mean Lawler isn't what he was... but he's still a legit threat and top 10. I dunno. It's been pretty sadistic matchmaking thus far. I'm fairly sure Dana likes seeing him hurt.  Every fight he's been given has been a tough style for him.

* Edited at 11.06.2019, 6:16 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 5 days, 12 hours, and 43 minutes from now.
TheBrown1
TheBrown1
  • Predictions:  9,903  |  67.7%
  • Forum Posts:  283
  • Post Score: 219

11.07.2019 | 6:00 PM ET

Very over rated since his arrival in the UFC, he has went downhill 
Proving the best fighters are in the UFC.  And he ain't good enough. 

"Is it bedtime yet?"

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

11.07.2019 | 10:31 PM ET

Bet Doug Lima

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

11.07.2019 | 10:33 PM ET

Jiu Jitsu beats wrestling when wrestling doesnt strike hard?.....

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

11.07.2019 | 11:34 PM ET

My bad its not that, Demian Maia is Demian Maia .... thats probably just it .... because most wrestlers who dont strike alot are good / take to at sub wrestling naturally.... like the blue belt heavyweight guy who just 2 ADCC who trains at Danaher Death Squad in Renzo basement ... 

WIGGALEE
WIGGALEE

11.14.2019 | 3:28 AM ET

TBH

Ben wanted the hard fights. He literally handpicked Jorge.
He wanted to prove he was the best.
It's not my fault he was deluded. 
He got a reality check. 
He would have lost 2 Neil Magnay if they fought.
And to be mounted so easily by maia without a fight is just damn. He literally just went in on maia thinking that his masterpiece of an reversal wouldn't get him. 
Just stupid imo. Ben showed literally no fighting IQ. There was no head movement from ben. No nothing. And Chael saying that he is world class is an insult to actual world class fighters. 
And don't come at me with that he has world class wrestling. Because both colby, kamaru and Woodly demolished maia like nothing on the grappling exchanges. 
Ben is bang average at best. 
World class fighters in the UFC are Usman, Colby, GSP, Tony, Khabib, Max, Conor, Jon, DC, Stipe, Triple C, DJ and many more...
If Ben fights again he needs to fight Dillon Danis in Bellator. 
And tbh i see Dillon danis winning with a submission. 
Sorry not sorry.
Ben is just the definition of a hype train gone wrong.

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

11.14.2019 | 3:57 PM ET

He hand picked till and got stuck with Jorge after Jorge ko'd till. And that's only cause he couldn't call till out directly cause till had Jorge so askren called out the winner to move forward rather fight till after a loss to Jorge.  

* Edited at 11.14.2019, 3:59 PM ET *

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

11.14.2019 | 4:00 PM ET

And how was he mounted so easy. Those to were having a good fight and Ben was piecing Maia up.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

11.14.2019 | 4:05 PM ET

Yeah ok genius guy fought the best gave fans three amazing fights to watch. We should get rid of him immediately. Justin Gaethje should be fired too since he lost to Eddie who isn't even in the ufc no more. Don't worry kid you'll be happy soon watching usman and Covington butt **** each other. Talk about a couple hype trains colliding.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

11.14.2019 | 4:06 PM ET

Covington vs usman should be a retirement match
WIGGALEE
WIGGALEE

11.16.2019 | 10:27 PM ET

Deluded af

Ben thought he could fight Khabib. 
And he wouldn't have have chance in hell winning v either Usman or Colby. 
Ben was just a hype train that gave Jorge the chance to make history. 
Ben in an objective point of view was never good enough.

If you think you can strike like Ben and be champion in the UFC, you need a reality check. 
Ben got his reality check. Now he is considering retirement. 
Shows how much he believes after getting absolutely smashed up and embarrassed after talking big man. 
Woodly is far better than Ben.
Ben is just not what people thought he was. 
There is no need of making excuses.
He talked big league, being the champ. Maybe even champ champ. 
Ben was destined to fail either way imo.
Ben v Dillon danis is his best bet to make some money, and he has a valid chance of winning. But I have Dillon danis winning that. 

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Justin Gaethje Reflects On His UFC 300 KO Loss To Max Holloway, ‘Ready’ For Return After 6 Months
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway’s point-to-the-canvas UFC 300 moment was deja vu for Ricardo Lamas
  • MMA Mania : Feet Are Not Supposed To Bend This Way
  • MMAFighting.com : Mike Perry believes a bare-knuckle fight with Conor McGregor really could happen: ‘Conor’s a real one’
  • Jits Magazine : Midwest Finishers 18 Full Results And Review
  • MMA Junkie : Shawne Merriman launches Lights Out Sports app, touts 'milestone' for MMA promotion
  • MMA Mania : Mac’s Skills ‘Not What They Used To Be’ After Layoff
  • MMA Mania : Ankalaev In October? ‘I Want To Fight Sooner’
  • MMA Junkie : Chris Weidman compares Alex Pereira's 'deficiency' in particular skill set to Ben Askren's
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Ryan Clark roasts Aljamain Sterling after Daniel Cormier suggests next BMF title fight
  • Jits Magazine : Gordon Ryan Says He’s ‘Embarrassingly Weak’ In Health Update
  • MMA Mania : Moldavsky Vs. Vassell 2 Headlines PFL Uncasville
  • Jits Magazine : Action-Packed Divisions All Round At ADCC Sydney Open 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: And New Super Lightweight Champion?
  • MMA Mania : Nurmagomedov Injured, Bellator Paris Title Fight Paused
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Inks PFL Extension, Returns At Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Ben Rothwell hopes Mark Hunt signing with BKFC materializes, wants rematch that 'brings eyes'
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Banks Big Money After Placing a $2 Million Bet on Himself to Defeat Devin Haney
  • MMA Junkie : Murad Ramazanov lauds Nurmagomedov training discipline for fast start in PFL debut
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is going to make him a way bigger superstar’: Trainer talks Garcia’s big win over Haney