Topic: Regulation, USADA, & PEDs

Slams

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Mitch7
Mitch7
  • Predictions:  78,740  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  43
  • Post Score: 37

05.16.2019 | 6:24 PM ET

In most other contact sports the slam used by Jessica Andrade to stop Rose this last weekend is outlawed and rightly so,if that move was used in the NFL,aussie rules football,rugby union or rugby league the player would be sent off,fined and banned and rightly so.When the UFC began many years ago it was advertised as no holds barred fighting but even then there was what seemed to be some unwritten rules,for example there were to my knowledge no fights stopped due to groin strikes or headbuts etc though it was legal to do so.All the moves in MMA can be practised and perfected with training partners,but not many people would volunteer to get slammed on their head and spine as happened in this contest.Though bad there is always a way back after breaking arms, legs ,hands and feet,the injury that would be caused by this sort of slam there is not,also bear in mind the weight class,these were ladies straw weights,the power generated by the heavier men is crazy high.It caught my attention the speed at which the doctor got to Rose and thank God she was ok,it could have been much worse.

Responses

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

05.16.2019 | 6:33 PM ET

I kind of agree. I used to play rugby league as a teen and yeah, lifting tackles are dangerous and rightly outlawed. I've been on the end of a few, in the moment it's hard not to tuck your head, it's kind of an instinct, but it's the worst thing you can do. A few years ago I heard about a hot prospect Union player paralyzed as a result of one, he was around 17 years old. I don't think Andrade meant to pile drive her though, she didn't do anything that she hasn't always done, it just went differently this time.

I think slams are just going to be very hard to police and legislate for generally. If you tried to add conditions to them they'd probably disappear from MMA entirely--no fighter would risk getting DQ'ed. It's kind of like eye poking; nobody wants to cause a dirty injury, but the risk is always there. Well, some do, but most don't.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 10 hours, and 26 minutes from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

05.16.2019 | 6:51 PM ET

A lot of things could have been much worse. Slams are fine. 

You know what did more damage than that slam? MVP's knee that literally crushed Cyborgs skull. I didn't hear people complaining about knees then. 

and this argument that unless you can practice defending a technique, it shouldn't be legal. That's hilariously preposterous. You can't train to get knee'd in the face. You can't. You can't "harden" your skin-tissue from elbows, its the exact opposite actually. Only in 2019 America man...so pathetic. "i was watching a fight and somebody got hurt..it was dreadful, shameful, deplorable"...pure cowardice. We romanticize serial-killers and have 56 Law & Order shows but OMG somebody got slam KO'd...this is too brutal man! 

WRONG

This is the most violent occupation on the planet, if you do not like such violence, don't watch it. 

Also, comparing Prize-Fighting to ANYTHING else is pure nonsense. You know what else is illegal in ALL of those other sports? Kicks, punches, knees, submissions....I mean come on guy. *** are you talking about...

NFL isn't a "contact" sports, its a collision sport. Basketball is a "contact" sport. Massive difference. 

Somebodies going to die in that octagon and NOTHING will change once its happened. 

* Edited at 05.16.2019, 7:04 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 23 hours, and 41 minutes from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

05.16.2019 | 6:55 PM ET

This is what happens when a society craves and becomes infatuated with fake violence instead of real violence. 

I mean when will fans stop? 

BJ isn't going to retire because people want him to, he'll retire when HE wants to. Nothing you can do about it. 

I will not tolerate fake pity or pity at all. These are warriors, their deaths should be celebrated MORE than the victory. They CHOSE to get locked in a cage and scrap...NO result can be shocking. No amount of violence is too much. 

Prize-Fighting was BUILT for the Greg Hardy's of the world. This isn't a platform to spread peace & love no no no. This is a way for violent human-beings to make a living and there is NOTHING wrong with that. 

* Edited at 05.16.2019, 7:11 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 23 hours, and 41 minutes from now.
tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  51,912  |  75.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,337
  • Post Score: 168

05.16.2019 | 8:46 PM ET

I do like the rule ONE Championship has where they don't allow slamming a fighter on their head.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

05.16.2019 | 8:49 PM ET

I don't. I think its a joke. You can knee somebody in the face on the ground but can't slam somebody? 

Childish at best. 
tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  51,912  |  75.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,337
  • Post Score: 168

05.16.2019 | 9:37 PM ET

Knees to the head on the ground should be legal, stomps and soccer kicks shouldn't.
loudenSwain
loudenSwain
  • Predictions:  15,071  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,313
  • Post Score: 283

05.16.2019 | 10:00 PM ET

Yea but what about my entertainment value and the raw realism of a real fight survival situation. God bless the slam. If you don’t want to get slammed then let go of the hold and concede position. Not slamming is taking away both legit submission defense and KO potential offense. 

"This is Prize-Fighting, IDGAF about your family or your problems - MassaBruce"

pie2munch
pie2munch
  • Predictions:  16,757  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,619
  • Post Score: 279

05.16.2019 | 10:26 PM ET

Rose could of let go of the submission, she chose to take the ride
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

05.16.2019 | 11:10 PM ET

I actually think Rose legit didn't think she could be slammed while hanging on to a Kamura. I sure as **** didn't think she could have been either. Say what you want about Andrade but there's no denying she's a seriously stronk little *****. That **** was a feat of strength.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 10 hours, and 26 minutes from now.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

05.16.2019 | 11:53 PM ET

Dominic Cruz didn't think so either.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

05.16.2019 | 11:53 PM ET

Besides I thought spiking was illegal?
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

05.16.2019 | 11:54 PM ET

She basically spiked her on her head. Every other second was all rose.
loudenSwain
loudenSwain

05.17.2019 | 12:12 AM ET

@free$

https://mmajunkie.com/2019/05/big-john-mccarthy-explains-why-jessica-andrades-slam-of-rose-namajunas-was-legal

'Big' John McCarthy explains why Jessica Andrade's slam of Rose Namajunas was legal

00:15 09:42 More Videos   9.1kSHARES  SHARE  TWEET  EMAIL

By: Dave Doyle | May 12, 2019 3:09 am

Jessica Andrade’s slam of Rose Namajunas on Saturday night at UFC 237 was more than a little scary looking.

Namajunas landed at an angle that appeared to be just an inch or two off from inflicting a broken neck at Jeunesse Arena in Rio de Janeiro. As it was, Namajunas was knocked out by the move, which gave Andrade the UFC strawweight title.

Nearly as soon as the fight ended, though, the debate flared on social media: Was this move legal?

Spiking a fighter on his or hear head is illegal, and this was awfully close. But if anyone knows the intricacies of the Unified Rules of MMA, it’s “Big” John McCarthy.

RELATED

Rose Namajunas unsure about fighting after UFC 237: 'It's just hard to keep having fun with this'

Joanna Jedrzejczyk encourages Rose Namajunas to 'keep ya head up' after UFC 237 title loss

McCarthy’s officiating career began at UFC 2, and he helped craft the rules that legitimized the sport and helped it thrive. He oversaw bouts for nearly a quarter century before his recent retirement to take a job as a Bellator commentator.

And when asked by a fan on Saturday night, McCarthy confirmed that, yes, Andrade won the title fair and square.

Big John McCarthy ✔@JohnMcCarthyMMA

When Rose goes for the armbar she has a choice to either let go of the armbar or try and hold onto it and go for the ride that Andrade is going to put on her. There is no illegal slam when a submission is being attempted. It does not matter how she brings her down #AskBJM https://twitter.com/eyesshutopen/status/1127436393091932160 …

943 2:00 AM - May 12, 2019 Twitter Ads info and privacy
271 people are talking about this

When Rose goes for the armbar she has a choice to either let go of the armbar or try and hold onto it and go for the ride that Andrade is going to put on her. There is no illegal slam when a submission is being attempted. It does not matter how she brings her down #AskBJM

So there you have it. When a fighter holds an attempted submission, all bets are off. And Namajunas held onto a Kimura the entire time.

For more on UFC 237, check out the UFC Rumors section of the site

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

05.17.2019 | 12:45 AM ET

Basically the same as, just completely opposite to; turning your head while somebody throws a strike. If that strike happens to hit you in the back of the head, its your fault. I agree. 

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

05.17.2019 | 12:42 PM ET

OK I didn't know that. Once again u sick ****s make my fighting addiction seem amateur at best.
WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

05.17.2019 | 1:49 PM ET

* Edited at 05.17.2019, 6:50 PM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

05.17.2019 | 1:51 PM ET

* Edited at 05.17.2019, 6:50 PM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

05.17.2019 | 3:32 PM ET

* Edited at 05.17.2019, 6:15 PM ET *

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

05.17.2019 | 3:41 PM ET

loudenSwain
loudenSwain

05.17.2019 | 7:24 PM ET

@Fish
“I actually think Rose legit didn't think she could be slammed while hanging on to a Kamura. I sure as **** didn't think she could have been either. Say what you want about Andrade but there's no denying she's a seriously stronk little *****. That **** was a feat of strength”

Oh no doubt. Everyone’s was shocked to some degree. MY point is, its still a situation where I feel her safety risk was hers to blame. IMO that’s type slam should still continue to be legal.

It’s the same when guys started defending those Rampage/Hughes slams by letting go and hooking a leg. I feel its her responsibility to feel herself go to the air and make the adjustment. I see it as Rose’s submission attempt is, not only being defended, but countered as well. If you want to take that ride and risk your opponents slam power vs you’re ability to absorb punishment, lock in, tighten and better secure that hold, the outcome is on you. YOu might get the sub vs  9-11 fighters but those 2x it went the way of the SLAM...that’s in you, boo.  JMO

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Ryan Garcia misses weight, will still fight Devin Haney
  • UFC.com : Julian Erosa's Monumental March
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 303 ticket prices: Conor McGregor vs. Michael Chandler could break promotion's gate record
  • Middle Easy : Max Holloway Snaps Back at Ilia Topuria Over BMF Title Demands: ‘That’s Kind of Un-BMF’
  • MMAFighting.com : Brendan Loughnane details ‘intense’ training sessions with Conor McGregor ahead of PFL return
  • MMA Mania : UFC Trumps Boxing, Named MVP Of Combat Sports
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Weighs in on Herb Dean Controversy at UFC 300, Would ‘Love’ His Next Fight to Be Against Sean Strickland
  • MMA Junkie : UFC 302's Sean Strickland on Paulo Costa: 'I'm going to make that dirty Brazilian bleed'
  • Bad Left Hook : Morrell moves to 175, Berlanga named WBA mandatory challenger for Canelo
  • Bad Left Hook : David Morrell Jr moves to 175, Edgar Berlanga named WBA mandatory challenger for Canelo Alvarez
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul responds to Ronda Rousey criticism: ‘I don’t think she’s a hater’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I see it being an early night’: Haney doesn’t expect Garcia to last the distance
  • MMA Junkie : Jorge Masvidal proud to see fans bring Miami heat on Nate Diaz: 'He definitely felt it'
  • Middle Easy : Frustrated Ketlen Vieira Believes She is More ‘Deserving’ of a UFC Title Fight Than Kayla Harrison
  • MMA Mania : Chandler Reveals Plans For McGregor’s ‘Hurt Leg’
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Fighter eats head kick after failing to exploit grounded fighter rule
  • MMA Junkie : Kyoji Horiguchi, Sergio Pettis to rematch at Rizin 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Sergio Pettis vs. Kyoji Horiguchi 2 announced for RIZIN 47 in June
  • MMAFighting.com : Gegard Mousasi lashes out at PFL over lack of communication, refusal to book him since buying Bellator
  • MMA Junkie : PFL heads to Mohegan Sun, Salt Lake City, Sioux Falls for second half of 2024 regular season