Topic: UFC 243

UFC 243: Whittaker vs. Adesanya

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,365
  • Post Score: 47

05.13.2019 | 10:15 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 243
  • Saturday 10.05.2019 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: WME-IMG
  • Venue: Marvel Stadium
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Daniel Cormier
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $5,478,345
  • Attendance: 57,127
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: N/A | TV Ratings: 559,000 avg. viewers (ESPN prelims, 639k peak)
  • MMA Bouts: 11
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Israel Adesanya   defeats   Robert Whittaker   via KO/TKO, Counter Left Hook   3:33 Round 2 of 5, 8:33 Total Bout Page
Dan Hooker   defeats   Al Iaquinta   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Serghei Spivac   defeats   Tai Tuivasa   via Submission, Arm Triangle Choke   3:14 Round 2 of 3, 8:14 Total Bout Page
Dhiego Lima   defeats   Luke Jumeau   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Yorgan De Castro   defeats   Justin Tafa   via KO/TKO, Counter Right   2:10 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Jake Matthews   defeats   Rostem Akman   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Callan Potter   defeats   Maki Pitolo   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Brad Riddell   defeats   Jamie Mullarkey   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Megan Anderson   defeats   Zarah Fairn   via Submission, Triangle Choke   3:57 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Ji Yeon Kim   defeats   Nadia Kassem   via KO/TKO, Hooks to the Body   4:59 Round 2 of 3, 9:59 Total Bout Page
Khalid Taha   vs.   Bruno Silva   Overturned to No Contest   3:00 Round 3 of 3, 13:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 5

Davis410
Davis410
  • Predictions:  2,421  |  62.1%
  • Forum Posts:  1,934
  • Post Score: 236

10.02.2019 | 1:06 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 1811th

Whittaker vs. Adesanya
Robert Whittaker, TKO, R4
Hard to bet against the champion, but I can see this being fight of the year.

Iaquinta vs. Hooker
Daniel Hooker, SUB, R3
I can see a fun striking battle at 1-1 going into the final round with Hooker submitting Al early in the 3rd.

Tuivasa vs. Spivak
Tai Tuivasa, TKO, R1
Home crowd energy will inspire Tuivasa to drop and destroy the Russian.

Jumeau vs. Lima
Luke Jumeau, DEC
I haven't looked into this fight yet, but I'll fade Lima and go with Jumeau.

De Castro vs. Tafa
Justin Tafa, TKO, R1
Flip a coin, I'll go with the Mark Hunt looking guy.

Matthews vs. Akman
Jake Matthews, SUB, R3
Closer fight than it looks in my opinion, but Matthews tires Akman out and wins in the third via choke.

Potter vs. Pitolo
Maki Pitolo, TKO, R1
Potter sucks and Pitolo can take a shot. My only concern is that Potter gets him to the ground and chokes him out, but Potter took the Turner fight on short notice and this is his "second shot" and I don't see him being UFC caliber. Meanwhile, Pitolo is young (ish) and has potential.

Riddell vs. Mullarkey
Brad Riddell, TKO, R3
Sleeper fight. Riddell has a win over Song Kenan and apparently Mullarkey likes to brawl. I can see a slugfest with Riddell's chin holding up late.

Anderson vs. Dos Santos
Megan Anderson, TKO, R1
I can't trust Megan's fight IQ, and I'm worried if she can't get Dos Santos out of there early that she'll go into desperation mode and lose a decision. I think she'll be too long and too strong and finish her, though.

Kassem vs. Kim
Ji Yeon Kim, DEC
Boring fight. Kassem is still so green and in my opinion in the UFC because of her looks. Kim should win a sloppy decision 30-27.

Taha vs. Silva
Khalid Taha, TKO, R2
Silva grapples with Taha in the first round, but loses his quickness in the second and gets dropped and TKO'd.

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

10.02.2019 | 2:56 AM ET

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 1 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 1811th

Mathews vs Ahkman

There's enough hair in one square foot of Rostem's back to provide the stuffing for several king size duvet and pillow sets. Like, he literally has to shave his neck  and shoulders (and probably his forehead and eyelids) to make it appear as though he isn't wearing a pelt. This sadly has the inverse effect of course...he's like one giant Brazilian wax job. So, so much hair...The sort of level of hair that must make men afraid to grapple with him, in case it's contagious, and makes them wonder how there can be any spare hair remaining in the world. I wonder if it stinks. I'd wager it does.

So the facts are, he's quite literally a yeti. He's also a pretty solid fighter. Well-rounded. Decent power, decent TDD.However I like Mathews here, in Australia. He's very inconsistent but I do think he hasn't fully capped out his potential. He hits hard and his wrestling is solid.

Mathews, Dec.

* Edited at 10.02.2019, 3:43 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 1 week, 16 hours, and 36 minutes from now.
Soulofpilgrim
Soulofpilgrim
  • Predictions:  2,442  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  58
  • Post Score: 159

10.02.2019 | 9:18 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 500 Points   |   Tied for 160th

Whittaker vs. Adesanya
Robert Whittaker, DEC
I can't wait for The Reaper to enter the cage!

"Go Hard or Go Home"

Hippie
Hippie

10.02.2019 | 9:41 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 0 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 1173rd

😂 Hahaha @fish, ur predictions are spot on mate!

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

10.02.2019 | 1:08 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 4 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 410th

@fish in regards to your does it stink comment. 
 I'd stop showering the day I sign the fight. I'd *******  stink!
 Wonder if that's allowed.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

10.02.2019 | 1:09 PM ET

P.s. I've done it for hunting. Smelled like a decomposing body.
Mikey1903
Mikey1903
  • Predictions:  48,481  |  73.2%
  • Forum Posts:  9,092
  • Post Score: 300

10.02.2019 | 1:56 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 0 Perfect, 330 Points   |   Tied for 1478th

Apparently Matt Lindland used to do that!  I've heard Rampage, who fought him, talk about it and Chael, his teammate, said he done it on purpose! 
What a dirty tactic, literally!

"Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe ****! "

DamienHandel420
DamienHandel420
  • Predictions:  5,728  |  67.0%
  • Forum Posts:  7,476
  • Post Score: 262

10.02.2019 | 4:33 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 0 Perfect, 250 Points   |   Tied for 1979th

@mikey1903 Rampage said Lindland, Smells like a smelly skunk. It a shame Rampage wasn't in this era of the sport as he would be a billionaire by now

"Quack quack quack"

phillip53
phillip53
  • Predictions:  45,605  |  68.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,397
  • Post Score: 305

10.02.2019 | 7:28 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 5 Perfect, 550 Points   |   Tied for 54th

adesanya has been talking some crazy **** the past couple of days, saying he will pick whitaker apart easily, that he will be fighting the cheater in raiders stadium in vegas early in 2020 and wanting a super fight with miocic. it sounds to  me like hes looking right past whitaker. i hope robert ko's him stiff.

"you dont need religion to have morals. if you can't tell right from wrong you lack empathy and humanity, not religion."

Gunnar
Gunnar
  • Predictions:  2,563  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  172
  • Post Score: 66

10.03.2019 | 4:36 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 505 Points   |   Tied for 143rd

Whittaker vs. Adesanya
Robert Whittaker, TKO, R2
This is a patriotic pick. Not a chance in hell i'm picking against the Bi-Racial Angel. I do recognise Adesanya as a very big challenge though. The way I see the fight, Rob's blitzing style will be most effective early when he's fresh, fast & powerful, and Israel hasn't got a read on what he's doing. The offensive wrestling and lay off are huge unknowns that could easily sway the fight, but with what we know I'm taking Rob by early finish because I think he has the pace to be able to put it on Izzy, land in the first or second phase of those blitzing attacks, and if he doesn't I think he starts to look to wrestle in 3,4 and 5 to alter the tempo and deny Adesanya the ability to get into his comfortable flow state. Bobby Knuckles for the win.

Iaquinta vs. Hooker
Daniel Hooker, SUB, R2
Al needs to pressure and wrestle here, and I think Hooker's length and range management is going to negate a lot of those. Hooker's likes to lead with kicks and counter with hands, creating a lane that he sucks you into with the kicks - because you are forced to move forward, get inside and respond to them - and I can see Al coming out with pressure early trying to trap him on the cage and wrestle. Hooker's TDD looks good enough at 155, and I believe his knee is going to have a lot of opportunities to land because of the way Iaquinta leans forward and dips. Hooker has a nice guillotine choke, and the way I see the fight, Al comes out with pressure early, maybe even gets a TD or a little control, it resets at range with Hooker picking at him, and he lands a knee as Al tries to force grappling, then taking the neck & finishing with a guillotine. +1100 odds on Hooker sub doesn't look too bad imo.

Tuivasa vs. Spivak
Tai Tuivasa, TKO, R1
Tui has been on a slide, but he is still a bomber and I think he can come out here and blast Sergey out. Sergey would be smart to incorporate some long kicks and clinching in order to slow the pace of the fight. Ultimately I do think the fatletic charging offence of Tuivasa will be too much, and he'll finish him in the first.

Jumeau vs. Lima
Dhiego Lima, DEC
Jumeau = fake news. The guy is a kickboxer I guess, but his technique is shallow, his power in his punches is lacking and he doesn't have the volume or aggression to make up for that lack of effect on opponents. His approach is too basic. Lima isn't a GOAT, but I think he has more technique and is willing to throw more of it out there to score. I see a mild, but clear decision going for Lima. Pretty confident this one is going to the judges, and Lima just has a more diverse toolbag & willingness to actually throw.

De Castro vs. Tafa
Yorgan De Castro, TKO, R2
Idk, both are fat bums. Tafa has had no fights against true cans and just blown them out. He's shown good boxing, but he's still green as ****. De Castro is a bum too, idk why i'm picking him, but I think his experience might allow him to survive where Tafa's previous coke cans couldn't, kick the legs & take advantage of Tafa's jittery fatigue.

Matthews vs. Akman
Jake Matthews, SUB, R1
Rostem sucks. Mathews has a lot of skill advantages here. Hard to see him losing. Personally I see Mathews taking him down early & progressing to a submission without a great deal of resistance. Rostem likes to pressure without throwing anything, or with the intention of moving to adventageous positions, so that should play into the style of Mathews to play on the outside & blast in with TD's or big punches.

Potter vs. Pitolo
Maki Pitolo, TKO, R1
Callan Potter is terrible, Maki can at least throw punches.

Riddell vs. Mullarkey
Brad Riddell, TKO, R1
Idk, cause hype I guess.

Anderson vs. Dos Santos
Megan Anderson, TKO, R1
Zarah is truly trash. This is a comical effort on the UFC's part to set Megan up with a win. She hasn't fought in a year and half, has no noteable opponents and has no skill. This was either a desperation move on the UFC's part or they had this can stored deep in the back of their freezer. It's all a question of how tough Zarah is. Her toughness will decide how long this lasts, but I suspect she's going to get pieced up, force clinches in a dumb manner, and then get bullied in those clinches. Confident in r1 or r2 finish for Megan.

Kassem vs. Kim
Ji Yeon Kim, TKO, R2
Kassem is terrible. That is becoming a theme of this card, right? But it's to promote finishes and compensate for the fact that they are sending their proper talent to all the upcoming cards like UFC 244. Kim has a long reach, throws decent 1-2's, and is willing to aggressively pursue opponents if she isn't having a lot of success (as she showed vs. Shev). Shev was just plain better, she had the striking to pull the power of Kim out & counter, and the clinches to reverse & control when Kim got desperate with pressure trying to change it up. I just see her having a gross advantage on the feet, and every time she lands Kassem is going to react in an exaggerated way, maybe breaks her nose and gets a mercy TKO in the second round after constantly out landing her w/ power.

Taha vs. Silva
Khalid Taha, DEC
No tape on Silva. Built the same, can see ITD, but Taha just gives you more reasons to pick him.

Hippie
Hippie

10.03.2019 | 12:58 PM ET

Open Workout Highlights

Hippie
Hippie

10.03.2019 | 10:24 PM ET

Best picker
Best picker
  • Predictions:  350  |  38.0%
  • Forum Posts:  161
  • Post Score: -268

10.03.2019 | 10:36 PM ET

Predictions: 5 of 11 Winners, 0 Perfect, 280 Points   |   Tied for 1857th

Follow these picks and u will become a millionaires i bet since u were in u mama testical and made million off of it
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 11 months, 10 hours, and 35 minutes from now.
AtoZsportsinv
AtoZsportsinv
  • Predictions:  1,435  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  238
  • Post Score: 183

10.03.2019 | 11:51 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 2 of 2 Winners, 0 Perfect, 100 Points   |   Tied for 2306th

Riddell vs. Mullarkey
Brad Riddell, TKO, R2
Nice fight with a local flare to it. Mullarkey has a padded record full of lesser regional fighters, but to his credit at least he is finishing those fights. In his last two fights he has shown some fight IQ by changing styles to not suit his opponents strengths. No doubt he has to get this to the ground to have any chance because Riddell will pick him apart on the feet. I don't see that happening as Riddell will be well trained enough to keep it in his realm. Riddell is the fighter the UFC wanted to sign and on short notice Mullarkey played his cards well to get put opposite Riddell. In the end Riddell will be the one staying in the UFC as he gets the 2nd round KO.

"Aiming to be professional sports handicapper"

AtoZsportsinv
AtoZsportsinv
  • Predictions:  1,435  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  238
  • Post Score: 183

10.03.2019 | 11:57 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 2 of 2 Winners, 0 Perfect, 100 Points   |   Tied for 2306th

Iaquinta vs. Hooker
Daniel Hooker, TKO, R3
Solid co-main event on what is not a great card top to bottom. Ragin Al is in for a tough contest in this one. He really struggled with the height and reach of Cerrone. He will have even a worse matchup with Hooker. Al is tough and hittable. Iaquinta is not the kind of striker Barboza is and Hooker took everything but the kitchen sink from Edson before breaking. I can see this fight going very similar but this time it is Hooker throwing everything but the kitchen sink before Iaquinta finally breaks down. I have Hooker by TKO in the 3rd and looking good in getting the win.

"Aiming to be professional sports handicapper"

Mikey1903
Mikey1903
  • Predictions:  48,481  |  73.2%
  • Forum Posts:  9,092
  • Post Score: 300

10.04.2019 | 7:43 AM ET

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 0 Perfect, 330 Points   |   Tied for 1478th

@bestpicker  I have to say you got on my tits when you 1st appeared. But now? Now I kinda admire your dedication to picking every single damn underdog!!!  

Edit: By underdog, I mean the person who least are picking on Tapology, not the betting odds underdog. Just in case anyone says anything.
Our guy @bestpicker is determined to go against the crowd. I can respect that!

* Edited at 10.04.2019, 10:17 AM ET *

"Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe ****! "

Hippie
Hippie

10.04.2019 | 9:21 AM ET

lldowntoearthll
lldowntoearthll
  • Predictions:  3,888  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,372
  • Post Score: 39

10.04.2019 | 3:46 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 721st

Whittaker vs. Adesanya
Israel Adesanya, DEC
people wanna live life as a meme and adesanya is the personification of that mentality. i'm gonna pick him just so i win either way.

Iaquinta vs. Hooker
Al Iaquinta, DEC
i don't think hooker is gonna be able to wrestle al and i'm not sure he can compete with the durability.

Tuivasa vs. Spivak
Tai Tuivasa, TKO, R1
they really wanna push tuivasa so i'll assume this matchup is made in his favor. plus this dude just got ko'd by walt harris so why not tai too?

Jumeau vs. Lima
Dhiego Lima, DEC
dhiego seems to always find a way to lose, but jumeau has been used more as regional filler.

De Castro vs. Tafa
Yorgan De Castro, TKO, R2
coin flip really, yorgan looks in better shape.

Matthews vs. Akman
Jake Matthews, DEC
rostem had been fighting guys with sub .500 records.

Potter vs. Pitolo
Maki Pitolo, DEC
better nickname, that's it.

Riddell vs. Mullarkey
Jamie Mullarkey, DEC
the "watered down" comments from years ago are finally true. i like mullarkey's name better.

Anderson vs. Dos Santos
Megan Anderson, TKO, R2
this girl lost to sinead kavanagh.

Kassem vs. Kim
Ji Yeon Kim, DEC
expecting kim to be the aggressor.

Taha vs. Silva
Khalid Taha, DEC
no good reason, just thinking they want taha to win.

Wookalar
Wookalar
  • Predictions:  6,553  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  7
  • Post Score: 243

10.04.2019 | 3:49 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 11 Winners, 3 Perfect, 565 Points   |   Tied for 31st with 4 others

Potter vs. Pitolo
Callan Potter, SUB, R2
I have flip flopped on this so much.

"+"

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

10.04.2019 | 5:42 PM ET

The ****** shoee tuivasa does is ******* disgusting. 

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : UFC Star Jack Della Maddalena Promoted To BJJ Black Belt
  • UFC.com : Dana White Announces Main Event For UFC Saudi Arabia On June 22
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Saudia Arabia fight card announced with Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev headliner
  • MMA Mania : Khamzat Vs Whittaker Headlines UFC Saudi Arabia
  • MMAFighting.com : Khamzat Chimaev vs. Robert Whittaker set as UFC Saudi Arabia main event, 4 more fights announced
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! Sandman Sees Suga Stop The Machine
  • UFC.com : UFC And Tourism WA Announce Multiyear Deal To Bring Two Action-Packed MMA Events To Perth
  • MMA Mania : UFC Atlantic City Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • MMA Junkie : UFC free fight: Charles Oliveira rallies to light up Michael Chandler for first title win
  • MMA Mania : ‘Are We Fighting Or What?!’
  • MMA Junkie : Javier Mendez disagrees with Daniel Cormier's claim that Islam Makhachev more dangerous than Khabib Nurmagomedov
  • MMA Junkie : Cory Sandhagen: UFC champ Sean O'Malley has 'really good shot' of finishing Merab Dvalishvili
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘A win and a knockout’: Fabio Wardley prepared to put on a show against Frazer Clarke
  • MMA Mania : Eblen ‘Blows Through’ Adesanya, Reaches Strickland In MMA March Madness
  • MMA Junkie : Why UFC on ESPN 54's Vicente Luque accepted dangerous Joaquin Buckley replacement
  • MMAFighting.com : No Bets Barred: Can Manon Fiorot stop Erin Blanchfield at UFC Atlantic City? Plus, one time for Chris Weidman
  • MMA Mania : Barber: ‘Boring’ Blanchield ‘Fought My Leftovers’
  • MMAFighting.com : Dana White reflects on ugly moment striking his wife, changes he made
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Landwehr happy with UFC on ESPN 54 switch from Pat Sabatini to Jamall Emmers: 'It's better for the fans'
  • UFC.com : Hunting Runs Deep In The Swiderski Family