Tapology Forums

Romero says his fight with Costa is off: 'He failed a USADA test, I'll be fighting Souza

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

03.12.2019 | 1:27 AM ET

Well, he thinks that's the case, anyway.

Last week, a previously agreed-upon UFC on ESPN 3 headliner between Paulo Costa and Yoel Romero gave way to a rematchbetween Romero and Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza.

ESPN.com was first to announce the news with a confirmation from UFC President Dana White, but no reason was given for the switch. Today, Romero said on the 
rel="nofollow">“Ariel Helwani’s MMA Show”
 that he’d heard the reason was that Costa potentially had failed a test administered by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency (USADA).

“What I hear is Paulo Costa, he had a positive test for USADA,” Romero said. “That’s what happened. That’s what I heard. The UFC called my manager and said Paulo Costa is out because he is positive and they said, ”Jacare’ Souza’ (as an opponent)?’ I said OK.”

Romero (13-3 MMA, 9-2 UFC) said he didn’t know what the positive test was for, only that his manager had informed him that Costa (12-0 MMA, 4-0 UFC) was out and that he’d have to take another opponent.

Afterward, Romero reached out to Ariel Helwani to clarify his comments, though, and said it was what he had heard and that he didn’t want to accuse someone hastily. (via Twitter)

Re: the Paulo Costa story, Yoel Romero called me immediately after the show to clarify that he had only heard that Paulo Costa failed a USADA drug test but he is not sure if that is accurate at this time. He said he would never want to accuse anyone before the facts come out.

https://mmajunkie.com/2019/03/yoel-romero-heard-usada-violation-paulo-costa-ufc-on-espn-sunrise-florida-rumor
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 13 hours, and 3 minutes from now.

Responses

Hyrm
Hyrm
  • Predictions:  6,115  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  3,255
  • Post Score: 189

03.12.2019 | 9:16 AM ET

Costa positive no :o I was sure this 230pds guys make 185pds limits not cheating...

"Never go down without a fight"

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

03.12.2019 | 5:15 PM ET

Costa's manager has responded, and sys it's ********. The positive test that is, the fight appears to be off, still.

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 1 day, 13 hours, and 3 minutes from now.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

03.14.2019 | 4:32 AM ET

Not surprising. Pretty sure romero ain't no stranger to steroids either.
yossgold
yossgold
  • Predictions:  67,502  |  62.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,550
  • Post Score: 295

03.14.2019 | 7:10 AM ET

Probably just a few picograms no biggie

"Hay lohh you Mike, ay lov you Mike. Hyou say somesing like di fo me, and naw I say you ... I LOV YOU! See you som. Boy." -- Yoel Romero, UFC 205

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Jamahal Hill Flaunts His Money, Eyes Rematch With Alex Pereira But Already Booked Against Khalil Rountree For UFC 303
  • MMAFighting.com : Oscar De La Hoya says Ryan Garcia ‘rattled’ Devin Haney with pre-fight antics: ‘Reminds me of Floyd Mayweather’
  • MMA Mania : ‘Most Dominant Fight’ Of UFC 300?
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia start time, TV schedule, ring walks
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Haney Vs Garcia Results & Play-By-Play!
  • MMA Junkie : T.J. Dillashaw was rooting for ex-rival Cody Garbrandt at UFC 300: 'I hate to see a fighter lose his confidence'
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway reveals gnarly bruised leg from UFC 300 win: ‘That guy kicks like a Mack truck’
  • MMAFighting.com : U.S. Olympic Wrestling Results: Team trial finals
  • MMAFighting.com : Karate Combat 45 live stream online: Luke Rockhold vs. Joe Schilling
  • Bad Left Hook : Haney vs Garcia: Live updates and results, 8 pm ET
  • Jits Magazine : Bianca Basilio To Face Nanami Ichikawa At ONE Fight Night 22
  • Jits Magazine : Three Invites Announced For ADCC 2024 Under 77kg Division
  • MMA Junkie : PFL signs top prospect Paul Hughes, says promotion president
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 Results: Magomed Umalatov remains unbeaten, Brendan Loughnane gets back on track with quick win
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 full results: Magomed Umalatov, Shamil Musaev keep unbeaten records intact
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia: Live round-by-round updates
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia Results: Live updates of the undercard and main event
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Square Up With Yourself, Motherf—ker!
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 video: Brendan Loughnane TKOs Pedro Carvalho; stoppage sparks controversy
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 video: Shamil Musaev pulverizes Logan Storley with violent knockout blows