Topic: UFC 239

UFC 239: Jones vs. Santos

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,978
  • Post Score: 47

03.02.2019 | 8:34 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 239
  • Saturday 07.06.2019 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: WME-IMG
  • Venue: T-Mobile Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Paul Felder
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $6,063,707
  • Attendance: 18,358
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: N/A | TV Ratings: 1.15M avg. viewers (ESPN prelims, 1.4M peak)
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Jon Jones   defeats   Thiago Santos   via Decision, Split   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Amanda Nunes   defeats   Holly Holm   via KO/TKO, Head Kick and Punches   4:10 Round 1 of 5 Bout Page
Jorge Masvidal   defeats   Ben Askren   via KO/TKO, Flying Knee   0:05 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Jan Błachowicz   defeats   Luke Rockhold   via KO/TKO, Left Hook to Ground and Pound   1:39 Round 2 of 3, 6:39 Total Bout Page
Michael Chiesa   defeats   Diego Sanchez   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Arnold Allen   defeats   Gilbert Melendez   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Marlon Vera   defeats   Nohelin Hernandez   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   3:25 Round 2 of 3, 8:25 Total Bout Page
Cláudia Gadelha   defeats   Randa Markos   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Yadong Song   defeats   Alejandro Perez   via KO/TKO, Right Cross   2:04 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Edmen Shahbazyan   defeats   Jack Marshman   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   1:12 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Chance Rencountre   defeats   Ismail Naurdiev   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Julia Avila   defeats   Pannie Kianzad   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 8

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

07.03.2019 | 7:36 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 540 Points   |   Tied for 929th

@Swain bro this is unprecedented stupidity though. I can't even understand it. It is the business equivalent of an Olympic swimmer lining up on the block, then as soon as the whistle blows, stepping off, ****ting their pants, banging their head on the ground, then walking around like a duck sucking their thumb. Cutting draws and signing snoozers. Literally the antithesis of what the model for building and maintaining a fight promotion is about.

* Edited at 07.03.2019, 7:37 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 4 days, 11 hours, and 39 minutes from now.
tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  52,278  |  75.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,339
  • Post Score: 168

07.03.2019 | 7:37 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 475 Points   |   Tied for 1517th

That's why I think ONE Championship will be the #1 MMA organization soon.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

07.03.2019 | 7:40 PM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 570 Points   |   Tied for 643rd

Honestly if ONE keeps tapping into Central-Asia they very well could. 

ANY promotion that recognizes the future of MMA is coming from countries that end with "stan" will flourish. IMHO
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 4 days, and 54 minutes from now.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

07.03.2019 | 8:26 PM ET

Vera vs Hernandez

Vera, KO/TKO R2.

Make no mistake folks, this is going to be a ******* great fight. Both guys are very similar; they are maniacs who throw a lot of **** and try and chop their opponents to pieces. Hernandez is a very solid, dangerous fighter. In fact, I won't be surprised if he pulls out a finish in this one. I can't pick him over the more tested Chito, but this fight will be bloody, high paced, and extremely violent as long as it lasts.

Naurdiev vs Recountree

Naurdiev, KO/TKO R2.

Recountree isn't good. He's basically a moderately successful punching bag, and will be completely outclassed by Naurdiev in every facet of the fight. The only thing difficult to gauge about this fight is how Naurdiev wins. Could be by sub, could be by KO/TKO. I'll go with option B.

Chiesa vs Sanchez

Sanchez, dec.

I was pretty blown away by how good the nightmare looked on his last outing. He does seem completely reinvigorated. I'm not a fan of Chiesa generaly; his striking is terrible, his gas tank is terrible. Yes, he does have subs--but Diego has never been subbed, and Chiesa has looked bereft of what to do when confronted with pressure wrestlers. I see Diego gritting out a close UD or split here. I don't think Chiesa is gonna sub him, and will burn himself out within one trying for it.

Rockhold vs Blachowicz

****hold Sub, R2.

Difficult fight to envisage given this is ****hold's first foray in light heavy. The blueprint to beat him is out there, and it isn't complicated; just march him down and punch him in the face. He's got zero chin/recovery. That said, I do rate Rockhold's top attack as probably the best in the UFC. If he mounts you, you're ******--period. Can he get the fight there? Possibly, possibly not--but there's a good chance he does. Even if he doesn't, he's got a 50/50 chance of outpointing Blachowicz regardless. Let's see if he can make a run of it or not.

* Edited at 07.03.2019, 8:29 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 4 days, 11 hours, and 39 minutes from now.
loudenSwain
loudenSwain
  • Predictions:  15,071  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  6,313
  • Post Score: 283

07.03.2019 | 8:40 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 580 Points   |   Tied for 608th

Fish. How much money do you think Lineker brings in? Do anyone other than hardcore know about him?  UFC is a business, PERIOD.  Yes, we think it’s ********. The UFC is looking at him in their new pay structure, pulled out of 4 of his last 8 and decided he cost more or is more trouble than he is worth. Understand, I disagree with them but that’s their business model. This is not overwhelmingly shocking.

"This is Prize-Fighting, IDGAF about your family or your problems - MassaBruce"

KevFabrizio710
KevFabrizio710
  • Predictions:  227  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  25
  • Post Score: 208

07.03.2019 | 9:00 PM ET

Predictions: 0 of 0 Winners, 0 Perfect, 0 Points   |   Tied for 2594th

https://twitter.com/johnlineker/status/1133777254369124354?s=21

I think this was a case of a fighter knowing their worth and asking to go elsewhere. Lineker has been fed up with the UFCs **** Matchmaking and decisions so I’m thinking  he asked to be released and considering  that he’s missed weight 5 times and has pulled of 4 of his last 8 it probably wasn’t too hard for the UFC to let him go. Regardless it is a ******** decision to let go of one of the most exciting fighters of a division but I’m excited to see Lineker Knock some dudes dead in Bellator or wherever he chooses to go.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

07.03.2019 | 9:02 PM ET

@Swain  He's 6-2 in that 8. The ONLY boring fight in Johns entire career was due to Dodson running for his life. Lineker isn't worth more than 49K? Was paid 43K to fight juiced up Killashaw, while fighting through a broken jaw. 

They're paying sideclown  Hardy over 100K but won't up Johns take? Why? Because he trains like he fights, all out? 

This is nonsense. Ego over intelligence. Piss-poor management decision. 

But you're right, its been horrendous for years now. In my case, its the last straw that breaks the camels back. 

Diego the BUM Sanchez, who couldn't beat up my big toe, is getting paid 250K for his pathetic fights. John ******* Lineker isn't worth more than 49K? On what planet? 

* Edited at 07.03.2019, 9:06 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 4 days, and 54 minutes from now.
loudenSwain
loudenSwain

07.03.2019 | 9:13 PM ET

Yes, Bruce. I’m fully aware of who and what Lineker is. My previous statement stands. Again, I’m on your side and don’t like it...shocked though. No, not at all. They don’t see him being worth what he wanted. Bottom line, top of the line, middle of the line..matter of fact, thee entire ******* line. 

All this is is part of the reason the UFC isn’t as entertaining to me. I understand your grievances and been through them. However, this is what the UFC is. Rinse wash repeat.   

The fact Hardy is on the roster appalls me. The fact they wanted Lesnar to walk back into a title fight appalls me. This is the same animal. It’s all part of their money machine. That’s their only concern. Maybe Lineker is financially worth it but the UFC doesn’t see it that way. That’s it, man. Evil Empire bro. 

loudenSwain
loudenSwain

07.03.2019 | 9:19 PM ET

Also, And I fully expect some hate thrown my way here, but I LOVED Dodsons performance and defense. I thought that was a terrible decision. Dodson won that fight easy. IMO

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

07.03.2019 | 9:21 PM ET

LOL hate? nah. That's just a silly ass opinion @Swain :) that you're entitled to

Dodson ran over a mile in that cage. Nothing about that is impressive. 

* Edited at 07.03.2019, 9:21 PM ET *

loudenSwain
loudenSwain

07.03.2019 | 9:25 PM ET

Haha. Touché 

I said it before and will say it again but I don’t expect all my opinions to be popular. 

loudenSwain
loudenSwain

07.03.2019 | 9:29 PM ET

Actually running, countering and making Lineker wiff constantly was impressive. It was close though honestly. 

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

07.03.2019 | 9:33 PM ET

@Swain that's exactly my point; the UFC is a business, and cutting Lineker is a bad business decision. It's bad from every angle. Even if he pulls out of fights much more often that someone like Esquibel, he's still going to draw 20x as much as  Esquibel when he does fight, and is the sort of fighter that will catch new fans, and sell cards, unlike Jodie (or spencer) who literally nobody on the face of the planet cares about, roughly 50 people even know exist, and is the sort of fighter who will turn off potential customers buying cards again. Not only does cutting Lineker and holding on/signing the esquibels and Spencers of the world not make sense financially, it also doesn't make sense in terms of attracting and/or holding on to existing and prospective clientèle. Literally nothing about it is salient.

The ESPN deal was probably the worst thing that could have happened, truthfully. Frankly I don't think the matchmaking is more complicated than having warm bodies routinely turn up most of the time. PPV's can still be good, but it's been the death knell for non-flagship events.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

07.03.2019 | 9:34 PM ET

galloping backwards like a coward while getting bullied into the fence constantly and even mocked....yea. 

Lineker didn't even have to try. Also shows how easily Lineker would've bullied Mighty Mouse. 
loudenSwain
loudenSwain

07.03.2019 | 11:05 PM ET

Yes, fish. There was never a moment  in the conversation where I didn’t know what you’re point was. My point is the UFC doesn’t agree with you. According to their assessment, he wasn’t worth resigning. I guess your “20x draw” and “roughly 50 people” statistics simply didn’t align with their analysis. I understand you think their evaluation is dumbfounded. 

I’m still not shocked, seen it before, will see it again, agree it sucks, and will continue to watch the UFC. 

Now if yous guys would excuse me, there’s some rocks over there I’d like to kick. 

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

07.04.2019 | 2:44 AM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 1573rd

Kicking stuff rules...
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

07.04.2019 | 3:26 AM ET

Swain stop making sense bro I'm trying to be pissed off here.
lldowntoearthll
lldowntoearthll
  • Predictions:  3,926  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,375
  • Post Score: 39

07.04.2019 | 4:28 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 530 Points   |   Tied for 1050th

Jones vs. Santos
Jon Jones, SUB, R2
jon is too smart to brawl so he'll probably just chip away until santos gets tired. then he'll take his back and finish with elbows or rnc.

Nunes vs. Holm
Amanda Nunes, SUB, R2
assuming holly is gonna try to dance for 15 min before turning it up later, but nunes should be able to exploit that timidity with opportunistic takedowns.

Askren vs. Masvidal
Jorge Masvidal, TKO, R2
anyone that can strike and sprawl is gonna be a close fight for ben, he's only getting older and he is still so awful on the feet. hoping to be wrong though.

Rockhold vs. Błachowicz
Luke Rockhold, TKO, R2
luke is coming up in weight, but he seems to be the more well rounded and dangerous fighter. the time off might've been good for his brain.

Chiesa vs. Sanchez
Diego Sanchez, DEC
gonna be hard to sub diego, one of the few things he's still solid in.

Melendez vs. Allen
Gilbert Melendez, DEC
i'm just hedging here because i never liked gil. i'll hope to be wrong, but this really is still a big step up for allen.

Vera vs. Hernandez
Marlon Vera, SUB, R2
hernandez has some decent regional wins, just thinking that vera has a lot of tools to keep him guessing.

Gadelha vs. Markos
Cláudia Gadelha, DEC
i could see randa finding a td or two, but claudia "should" have an advantage in the scrambles if she can stay technical on the feet.

Perez vs. Song
Yadong Song, TKO, R2
china's fighters have really stepped up the past few years, i'll guess it continues for now.

Marshman vs. Shahbazyan
Edmen Shahbazyan, TKO, R2
just not super impressed with marshman's victories.

Naurdiev vs. Rencountre
Ismail Naurdiev, DEC
beating prazeres was impressive to me, as limited as he is. same reach despite a 4 inch height difference too so i'm thinking ismail won't be kept outside.

Kianzad vs. Avila
Julia Avila, DEC
pannie can overpower some girls, but avila looks to be competent and has some power to keep pannie from just crashing in.

Brigs
Brigs
  • Predictions:  236  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  30

07.04.2019 | 6:54 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 1570th

Jones vs. Santos
Jon Jones
Jones gives Thiago Santos a lesson in how to strike with technical precision. Santos will throw everything but the kitchen sink at Jones but will be too slow to land anything significant. Jones uses his height and reach advantage to gradually break down Santos. Jones lands vicious kicks & elbows to Santos ' head and body, then finishes him when he decides he's ready to in Round 3.

Nunes vs. Holm
Amanda Nunes, DEC
Nunes cruises to a decision win after easily beating up Holm for 5 rounds. Holm will be elusive by using her excellent footwork but will fail to land anything significant on the Lioness.

Askren vs. Masvidal
Jorge Masvidal, TKO, R2
Funky Ben shoots in for takedowns in Round 1 but they are stuffed by Masvidal. Askren might get Masvidal down on the mat but Masvidal will get back up and dominate the stand up. Masvidal uses his great TDD to keep the fight standing and brutalizes Askren with strikes to the face. Masvidal wins by TKO in round 2.

Rockhold vs. Błachowicz
Luke Rockhold, TKO, R1
Rockhokd is too big and strong at LHW and makes easy work of Blachowicz. Rockholds kicks are too much for Blachowicz. Rockhold uses his accurate striking to stop Blachowicz in Round 1.

"I'm a betting man. I like to gamble everywhere, everything I do." - Luke Rockhold

Brigs
Brigs
  • Predictions:  236  |  61.9%
  • Forum Posts:  30

07.04.2019 | 7:04 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 465 Points   |   Tied for 1570th

Chiesa vs. Sanchez
Diego Sanchez, DEC
Sanchez utilizes his mental toughness, cardio, & ground game to grind out a decision win.

Gadelha vs. Markos
Cláudia Gadelha, SUB, R2
Claudia Gadelha will not be interested in standing and striking with her opponent. Gadelha will take Markos down and controls the fight with her grappling skills. Gadelha manhandles Markos with her strength and wins by submission in Round 2.

"I'm a betting man. I like to gamble everywhere, everything I do." - Luke Rockhold

Page 8

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan Fires Back At Michael Chandler For Criticizing His Decision To Turn Down Islam Makhachev Title Fight
  • Jits Magazine : Mikey Musumeci Moves Up To Challenge Kade Ruotolo For Lightweight Title At ONE 168
  • MMA Junkie : Justin Gaethje plans to limit physical training for 'six months at least' after UFC 300 knockout loss
  • MMA Mania : Garcia: ‘Crazy’ Gimmick Planned Months In Advance
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Says He Is Likely To Earn ‘$30-50 Million’ From Devin Haney Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘My son got down on you’: Bill Haney and Floyd Mayweather get into heated argument online
  • MMAFighting.com : Ilia Topuria on Sean O’Malley superfight: ‘If he defends the belt, that’s going to be the biggest fight in UFC history’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 pre-event facts: Karine Silva looks to continue historic octagon start
  • Middle Easy : Maycee Barber Details Parking Lot Incident With ‘Crazy Lady’, Says She Texted Dana White About Possibly Going To Jail
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry targets fights with Jake Paul and 'fat b*tch' Darren Till if successful at BKFC KnuckleMania 4
  • Jits Magazine : Star-Studded Lineup Confirmed For UFC Fight Pass Invitational 7
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Chandler criticizes Arman Tsarukyan turning down UFC 302 title fight, Tsrukyan unloads back
  • MMA Mania : UFC 304 Official For July 27 In Manchester
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 commentary team, broadcast plans set: New trio calls action from cageside for first time
  • MMAFighting.com : The 2024 MMA Draft: Which 35 fighters are the best building blocks for MMA promotions?
  • MMA Mania : Gaethje Didn’t Realize ‘How Much Danger I Was In’ Against Holloway
  • MMA Junkie : UFC returns to Manchester for UFC 304 on July 27
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 304 announced for Manchester this summer
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Ryan Garcia admits health concerns were all an act: ‘I was not gonna budge for nobody’
  • MMA Mania : Barber Was Ready To ‘Lay This Lady Out’ In Viral Video