Tapology Forums

I cannot accept Fantasy MMA challenges for chips

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

02.24.2019 | 12:46 AM ET

Just thought I'd post this because I always get a bunch of people wanting to kick my ass. I have to decline pistols at Dawn, gentleman. I'm not flaking out, my broke ass just can't afford the buy-in. I  have no chips! Not only do I not have chips, I don't even know how to earn chips. And if earning them  involves anything other than acerbically denigrating MMA celebrities I don't like, or that I do like but denigrate anyway for fun, or any kind of effort at all....I don't want to know.

xox
Fish

* Edited at 02.24.2019, 1:15 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 1 hour, and 20 minutes from now.

Responses

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,559
  • Post Score: 275

02.24.2019 | 9:19 AM ET

Interesting.

To earn chips you just need to join and win some of the free-entry public games.

But we should probably add some logic so that you can't challenge someone if they don't have enough chips to accept the challenge. Will add that to the to-do list.

"I live, I die, I live again."

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

02.24.2019 | 4:42 PM ET

So the challenges don't count? You can't win chips that way? I've won a few of those.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 1 hour, and 20 minutes from now.
Gregory
Gregory

02.24.2019 | 10:34 PM ET

The only way you can win chips without wagering your own chips is to join the public games that have a prize.

If 1:1 challenges gave you chips, people would just challenge each other repeatedly to run up their chip counts...

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

02.24.2019 | 11:00 PM ET

So?

Maybe I'm being obtuse, but I don't really see the issue with that. Are you worried about...what? Hyperinflating virtual fun tokens that not only have no real-world exchange value, but no virtual exchange value either, and seemingly serve no purpose other than exclusion? I mean, it's not as though you can swap them out for Ethereum on litecoin.com or use them to buy skins on Tapology, and from where I stand the system that exists now just creates 'gated communities'.

And all you'd be doing is changing the scale. For example, 1 USD$ equal to 110.65 YEN. If a can of pepsi costs 1$ in the US, and 110.65 YEN in Japan, it makes no difference. Ultimately what determines the value of currency is the exchange value in relation to commodities, not the monetary scale. I'm not sure what the value of chips on Tapology is measured against, or underwritten by. Bragging rights, I suppose.

In fact what you have at the moment is textbook entrenched deflation with a kind of non-intentional cartel controlling the dynamics of the entire system as they essentially control the 'money supply'. This is why it's always older members who are inviting me to challenges; newer members don't have the means to buy-in, and because the landscape has changed ( member count has dwindled) it's extremely difficult to get off the ground, because back when they were earning chips, there was more 'money' in the system.

There basically needs to be more varied pathways to earn chips IMO. Obviously, they need to be hard to get otherwise they would become valueless. With a little bit of creativity, this is easily achievable. Maybe they could be awarded through prediction achievements? If you did go down this avenue, it could be a fun little side feature and make otherwise boring cards slightly more interesting....for example,  you hit 5 perfects in an event and earn a chip. Just an extra reason to care.

And for hitting that black beauty achievement...well, that's 100 chips. The probability of hitting a six spot lottery is about 1 in 13 million. Doesn't stop people from trying, and thinking that they might.
And some do. Never underestimate the power of a little hope and a cheap thrill.

Just my own two chips.

* Edited at 02.25.2019, 12:06 AM ET *

Zulizani
Zulizani
  • Predictions:  3,156  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  685
  • Post Score: 226

02.24.2019 | 11:27 PM ET

You leave my fantasy chips alone. I will not accept them being worthless due to hyperinflation. I'm using them as equity for my fantasy home loan.

"You're all my children, I'll discipline you how I feel" Massabruce

Confusion
Confusion
  • Predictions:  82,400  |  64.8%
  • Forum Posts:  531
  • Post Score: 249

02.25.2019 | 12:02 AM ET

The only 'gated communities' that exists is the divide between users who are too lazy to sign up for the free games and users who actually make an effort to click on a button to sign up for free games that anyone can sign up for.

The system is inherently inflationary. Every user who signs up for a free game essentially adds one chip to the pool per games involved. The more users who sign up, the more inflation there is in the system. You can sign up for every free game, and you can sign up for each game multiple times when it fills up.

If you sign up for the small 2 person games, you can repeatedly sign up for the same game many times over when it re-spawns, which is a cheap way to earn a chance at a bunch of free chips. If you wanted to farm chips, you can create a dummy account and have you and the dummy account sign up multiple times for the 2 person games, giving the wins to yourself. Right now, you can probably farm hundreds of chips per week if you really wanted to do so.

* Edited at 02.25.2019, 12:07 AM ET *

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

02.25.2019 | 12:10 AM ET

@confusion, I'm looking at the tap home page right now and I don't even know how to navigate to the free games. It's not laziness, I literally just don't know where to look. Whatever  dimension of Tapology that goes down is is pretty well buried. I can't be the only one.

* Edited at 02.25.2019, 12:11 AM ET *

Confusion
Confusion

02.25.2019 | 12:12 AM ET

The games are listed here:

https://www.tapology.com/fantasy

* Edited at 02.25.2019, 12:12 AM ET *

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

02.25.2019 | 12:16 AM ET

Ok thanks for the link, but seriously that **** needs to be more visible via the hub. If you asked me to get find that starting at google, I wouldn't know how to do it.

Until you explained that free games actually exist, I was under the impression that basically the only games going were buy-ins. and no idea how they were even earned.

* Edited at 02.25.2019, 12:28 AM ET *

Confusion
Confusion

02.25.2019 | 12:28 AM ET

You should be able to see a bar on the right that looks like this. This is how you'd normally navigate to the Fantasy games section.

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

02.25.2019 | 12:36 AM ET

Wow. I'm not sure who to blame; myself for being ********, or Tap for squirreling that **** away over there yet bombarding me with 'so and so challenged you to a fantasy yada yada' without providing an easy to access explanation of the difference between the two.

My above rant can be disregarded. Although I do think chip rewards for prediction achievements could be fun.

Thanks for clearing it up confusion.

* Edited at 02.25.2019, 12:36 AM ET *

Confusion
Confusion

02.25.2019 | 12:43 AM ET

No problem. You're probably right about there needing to be better clarification of the games, but the system is still in beta right now - just consider the chips earned in this period as a bonus.

I wouldn't mind myself if 1 chip was rewarded to the winner of each card.
Gregory
Gregory

02.25.2019 | 9:04 AM ET

Umm, @fish I think the intensity and detail with which you're analyzing the chips is a bit beyond the intensity and detail that was put into designing them in the first place.

Sometimes we put up small features because it seemed like an interesting idea, or to test out if it seems to work well.  We have a lot of bigger plans for the fantasy games section, but have been a bit delayed in continuing to work on them. We're hoping that this year we'll be able to continue to improve the fantasy section. Along with that might be enhancements to the chips concept. But at the moment it's just a small thing for fun.

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

02.25.2019 | 2:52 PM ET

@Greg if you think that's bad you should see me rule-lawyering in games of monopoly. As I say, my above rant can be disregarded entirely. It was written before I understood...well, you know, how to actually get chips. And then continued even after you told me how to get them through playing public games. It is what it is. I'm sorry.  I'll go off half-****ed occasionally.

I think I need a holiday.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

02.25.2019 | 3:31 PM ET

Weirdos
Gregory
Gregory

02.25.2019 | 4:05 PM ET

@fishrat no worries and that's pretty funny about monopoly.  True story: I have nieces and nephews who are like 8-10 years old. Sometimes there will be a monopoly game and most of the parents/adults are pretty chill and let the kids bend the rules in certain ways. But I'm so competitive that it drives me crazy. I love those kids but I'm still like "NO, THESE FLAGRANT RULES VIOLATIONS MUST NOT STAND, THIS GAME DOESN'T COUNT ON OUR OFFICIAL RECORDS!"

pie2munch
pie2munch
  • Predictions:  16,757  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,619
  • Post Score: 279

02.26.2019 | 1:25 PM ET

Monopoly rules are there for a reason, and if there is a  “bending” it should be spoken about and agreed upon by all parties before the start of the game.

I would love to bend the rules to my current mortgage, but then I get penalized.

Teach these kids early!!!
Gregory
Gregory

02.26.2019 | 3:32 PM ET

@pie making sure you saw the comment I left on your page a week or so ago about your avatar.

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

02.26.2019 | 5:09 PM ET

What about the conveyor belt of cancerous articles that rotate at the top of the page...You guys plan on keeping them? Does anybody read them or enjoy them? If so, then I apologize and will get over it...but from my experience, those articles are nothing but bland & casual statements made from bland & casual journalist. 

Hell MMAJunkie misspelled Ismail Naurdiev...they put Nauriev.....and thats just one example. These pathetic excuses of human-beings should have real jobs and real careers. MMA does not need journalist or journalism. 

* Edited at 02.26.2019, 5:15 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 14 hours, and 35 minutes from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

02.26.2019 | 5:14 PM ET

Look at this crap. 6 year old children are taught to proofread....not at MMAjunkie though.

https://mmajunkie.com/2019/02/ufc-prague-ismail-nauriev-talks-debut-win-dream

Or just the fact that Bloody Elbow had a pedophile working for them says enough. These people are absolute trash. All of em. Every day Karim Zidan wakes up crying for attention. Its pathetic. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 14 hours, and 35 minutes from now.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video, results