Tapology Forums

George st. Pierre officially retired

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

02.21.2019 | 12:55 PM ET

St.Pierre announces his official retirement today in a montreal press conference. I just seen it on the news.

Responses

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

02.21.2019 | 2:10 PM ET

It seems he was negotiating for a fight with Khabib and it didn't pan out so he retired.  I don't get it, if McGregor's fighting Cerrone and Ferguson is fighting Holloway, why not let Khabib and Georges fight?  They both want it, and I'm sure plenty of people would pay to see it.  I continually get the impression that Dana White doesn't like one of the biggest stars his company has ever had.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

02.21.2019 | 2:27 PM ET

Why would Dana pay GSP a kings ransom when he might beat his current money-machine in Khabib. 

What if they both get hurt? What if GSP starches Khabib in seconds? That'll ruin Khabib while GSP retires? Too risky. IF GSP was coming back for several more fights this would've happened. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 10 hours, and 29 minutes from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

02.21.2019 | 2:28 PM ET

The only person to blame for fans not getting GSP vs The Spider, GSP vs Khabib, GSP vs Conor etc... is GSP himself. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 10 hours, and 29 minutes from now.
jodybanman
jodybanman

02.21.2019 | 3:27 PM ET

I know he was reluctant to fight Anderson Silva, but I don't doubt that he'd jump at the chance to fight Conor or Khabib, they are both huge money fights in which he'd likely be the favorite.  I don't want to see any of those fights, I'm actually glad GSP is retiring, I just don't understand why the UFC wouldn't want Nurmagomedov-St. Pierre if they're not doing Nurmagomedov-Ferguson.  Who is Nurmagomedov going to fight then?  And why isn't he fighting Ferguson?  That's the fight that should happen, why is Ferguson fighting Holloway instead?

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

jodybanman
jodybanman

02.21.2019 | 3:32 PM ET

As far as GSP retiring after beating Nurmagomedov, even as a GSP fan, I don't like the idea of guys cherry picking titles and then dropping them, but that's all McGregor has done.  From a business standpoint, you make the fight that's going to get the most money, and GSP-Khabib is a fight that fits the bill.  Plus, Khabib could retire as champion at any time anyway.  If they make Khabib-Conor 2, either guy could likely retire upon winning, but it wouldn't stop them from making the fight.

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

02.21.2019 | 3:34 PM ET

Yea Conor cherry picked the FW GOAT....The Boxing GOAT then the Wrestling GOAT

Don't be like that. The only fighter that has fought tougher opponents in the HISTORY of MMA than Conor is Bobby Knuckles. 

* Edited at 02.21.2019, 3:42 PM ET *

jodybanman
jodybanman

02.21.2019 | 3:46 PM ET

I'm not diminishing his victories over Aldo or Alvarez, I said cherry picking titles, not opponents.  And to be fair, obviously he deserved the title fight against Aldo.  I'm just making the point that McGregor won titles and never defended them, and surely would be allowed to do so again, so the argument against GSP doing the same is suspect.  I don't like anyone doing it, I'm just saying that's not a good argument for not allowing Khabib to fight GSP, particularly if he doesn't have any other immediate opponents lined up.

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

02.21.2019 | 3:52 PM ET

There's a big difference between "could retire" and GSP saying "Im retiring"....that's why my argument stands. 

Coulda shoulda woulda doesn't count. UFC would plummet if Khabib lost to GSP then GSP retired. It would look horrendous. 

I agree that not making Khabib vs El Cucuy for the 77th time is a crime against humanity but are people really wondering why Dana doesn't want to try again......
tepid55
tepid55
  • Predictions:  52,278  |  75.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2,339
  • Post Score: 168

02.21.2019 | 4:37 PM ET

Georges st. Pierre is the greatest UFC welterweight of all time in my opinion.

* Edited at 02.21.2019, 4:43 PM ET *

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

02.21.2019 | 5:25 PM ET

I new this was coming. To many fighters hold their own career hostage in negotiations with the ufc. Just like nate diaz. We'll never c conor nate 3 cause the ufc wont pay. Only reason nate hasn't retired officially is cause he's the kinda guy who doesn't give a ****.
I also heard dana say he doesn't want gsp winning and retiring with the belt........ Again! 
And guaranteed gsp and khabib both want conor McGregor type money. 
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

02.21.2019 | 6:18 PM ET

I don't give a **** that Georges retired. Fled rather than face Whittaker. Gayest **** in the history of the UFC. Don't let the door hit you on the way out Humpy.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 3 days, 21 hours, and 14 minutes from now.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

02.21.2019 | 6:25 PM ET

Here's the press

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

02.21.2019 | 8:13 PM ET

@Bruce GSP was never going to fight Khabib. He'd have gotten absolutely worked for a TKO within two rounds. If he thought he could beat Khabib, he'd have fought him. He only took fights he knew he could win. Ducked Hendricks for two years until the UFC forced him to fight.

Even Bisping was busting him up off his back. He is and always was a cherry-picker. Deliberately  picked Bisping because he didn't want to get KTFO by Woodley. He was gifted a title shot he didn't deserve, and had lost in everybody's eyes but the judges against  Hedricks, Grease cheated against BJ Penn. An horrifically boring, overrated fighter and **** champion who hardly ever fought.

Before TKOing a shot, fluke Champion in the count he hadn't won a single fight any other way than decision in ten ******* years.  And when he won the belt, he ran away rather than fight whittaker who would have ended his life within one round. 

So basically, he ****** the entire division ( a division with a long history of being ******) because he wanted to feel like he still mattered. When he got his meaningless title, he *****ed out. Facts.

I'd say he's the Mayweather of MMA, but Floyd was actually an amazing, once-in-a generation fighter and it would be an insult to FloydGood riddance.

* Edited at 02.21.2019, 8:46 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 3 days, 21 hours, and 14 minutes from now.
WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

02.21.2019 | 8:39 PM ET

After Tyron squeaks Usman and then Nuclear Detonates Cuckington, he will be Recognised as the Greatest Welter Cruiser of All Time and given the Privelage to spit on GSP or GSP's belt anytime either are within Tyron's vacinity. 

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

02.21.2019 | 8:40 PM ET

Meanwhile Ben Askren can be found Grappling dominant position sequences on Thiago Alves somewhere in the Florida bush lands

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

02.21.2019 | 8:42 PM ET

Matt Hughes commits farm treason, and is hunted across the Iowa plains as a fugitive, his former pack of loyal farm animals now turning rogue, arming themselves and go in pursuit or their former master and tormenter, Matt Hughes

".... now we want to drink human blood,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"

* Edited at 02.21.2019, 8:43 PM ET *

pie2munch
pie2munch
  • Predictions:  16,769  |  62.8%
  • Forum Posts:  2,619
  • Post Score: 279

02.21.2019 | 8:44 PM ET

The Goat has retired today, the others can try and play catch up now.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

02.21.2019 | 8:44 PM ET

Woodley has already beaten better fighters than GSP, and would have beaten GSP at any point in his career. GSP's best wins are BJ penn and Bisping. And BJ was a FW. And he grease cheated to do it.
WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

02.21.2019 | 8:46 PM ET

Matt Serra went on to become a Hitman contracter for the Ragaducci Family, while also masquerading as a part time MMA coach, often employing his experienced students in hit jobs

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

02.21.2019 | 8:49 PM ET

BJ Penn went on to become a beach side alcoholic in Maui while donating his net worth to help clean up h'awaii's tent cities and meth houses ( clean up, not fix or solve..)

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings
  • MMA Junkie : Former UFC champion Cain Velasquez gets trial date in attempted murder case