Topic: Sean Sherk

Are there any Sean Sherk fans out there?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Mark Hoxie
Mark Hoxie
  • Predictions:  947  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  32
  • Post Score: 59

12.20.2010 | 9:47 AM ET

I'm wondering if anyone out there is actually drawn to an event because Sherk is on the card? If so, why? (I'll try to keep my biases to myself while posing the question)

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." - Benjamin Franklin

"The Muscle Shark" Sean Sherk

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Sean Keith Sherk
  • Pro MMA Record: 35-4-1 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Muscle Shark
  • Current Streak: 1 Win
  • Last Fight: September 25, 2010 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Lightweight | Last Weigh-In: 155.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: The Academy MN
  • Height: 5'6" (168cm) | Reach: 66.9" (170cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $286,000 USD
  • Born: St. Francis, Minnesota, United States
  • Fighting out of: Oak Grove, Minnesota
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

12.20.2010 | 9:51 AM ET

I'm guessing you are, but no, I'm not a big fan. He usually puts on exciting fights, but I get frustrated watching him because I don't think he uses his skills to his advantage ... ie: trying to out-box BJ Penn with a  3 inch reach.
Also thought Evan Dunham should have got the nod earlier this year, but Sherk is a great fighter, underrated by many, but only when he fights smart. Looking over his record, he only loses to the best of the best. 

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,559
  • Post Score: 275

12.20.2010 | 9:54 AM ET

I'm a fan, but it really depends on the matchup.  I don't know if I see a path for Sherk to win the title again.  He's already lost to Edgar, Maynard is the better wrestler with more power standing, he lost convincingly to Penn.   I also think Evan Dunham deserved the win in their fight

I like watching Sherk fight but I'm not sure what the right fight to put him in next is.  Maybe Ben Henderson as a measuring stick to see where each guy stands.

"I live, I die, I live again."

skelliher
skelliher

12.20.2010 | 9:57 AM ET

A fight against Henderson would be a lot of fun. 

Mark Hoxie
Mark Hoxie

12.20.2010 | 10:43 AM ET

I respect him as an athlete, but there isn't a fighter I'd rather watch less. I'd rather watch Butterbean or some random Brazillian I've never heard of than Sherk while he just lies on top of a guy for fifteen minutes. Wrestling is a great foundation but it has very little to do with a complete MMA game. It's like saying your a home builder when all you can do is pour concrete...

"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." - Benjamin Franklin

Gregory
Gregory

12.20.2010 | 10:47 AM ET

I like to call myself a home builder. Recently I poured gravy on turkey. 

skelliher
skelliher

12.20.2010 | 10:51 AM ET

Speaking of which, I'm making turkey dinner tonight after training at Lauzon's. 

yankees1
yankees1
  • Predictions:  1,056  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  321
  • Post Score: 86

12.20.2010 | 10:58 AM ET

I think that Sherk lost most of his fans after the whole steroids debacle. I wasn't a fan before or after, but I do have some respect for him after his fight with Evan. I don't think its fair to hate on Sherk because the judges ****** up by giving him the nod (@skelliher). It's like saying your a home builder when all you can do is pour concrete... I only joke

"Jones: I'm sure Shogun poops like I poop. "

raray
raray
  • Predictions:  193  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  187
  • Post Score: 26

12.20.2010 | 12:06 PM ET

A steroid using gate keeper with a lame nick name? Not for me. The Dunham fight was fun, but I guess I credit Dunham for that more than Sherk. 

"Any rational society would either kill me or put me to some use."

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

12.20.2010 | 12:31 PM ET

i like sherk hes pretty cool .... 

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

Gregory
Gregory

12.20.2010 | 1:01 PM ET

@RA -- for me, one of the frustrating things about steroids in MMA is there's always uncertainty. You never know who is or isn't telling the truth, or when the athletic commission may have messed up the testing, or when the fighter maybe just got screwed by tainted supplements.

See:
http://blog.tapology.com/2009/10/mixed-martial-artists-could-be-among-victims-of-supplement-steroid-scandal/

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

12.20.2010 | 1:16 PM ET

I like watching Sherk fight. I think he's very active fighter and keeps a pretty high pace to his fights. i doubt he will be champion again but I think he gets a lot of unwarranted hate.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

billy
billy
  • Predictions:  391  |  57.3%
  • Forum Posts:  145
  • Post Score: 16

12.20.2010 | 1:59 PM ET

I've got nothing against him. I wasn't there to see if he roided or not so what do I know.
And he's been in some good fights.  Against GSP (getting owned), against Florian (doing the owning), against Penn (getting owned), against Dunham (mostly even).... lots o' good fights he has been in.

"proving to daddy that i'm no fool"

Mark Hoxie
Mark Hoxie

12.20.2010 | 4:24 PM ET

He hasn't won by anything other than decision in five years.

raray
raray
  • Predictions:  193  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  187
  • Post Score: 26

12.21.2010 | 5:05 AM ET

@Gregory The tainted supplement defense just doesn't do it for me. If you are purposefully putting something in your body other than food and FDA approved drugs then you are accepting those risks. Did you see the bag-full of pills that Sherk was taking with every meal on the countdown special a few years back? Professional athletes should be promoting health, not stuffing themselves full of chemicals.

"Any rational society would either kill me or put me to some use."

Gregory
Gregory

12.21.2010 | 6:52 AM ET

I think most pro fighters are taking tons of supplements. Maybe it's not the healthiest thing (I'm no nutritionist), but there's nothing in the rules that says fighters shouldn't take this stuff if they want to.

If some of that stuff is tainted or contains a banned substance, I agree fighters must be held responsible for what they put in their bodies.  Sherk was correctly held responsible.

But then the question is do I turn on him as a fighter and hate the guy?  When maybe all that happened is he took what he thought was protein and it was tainted?  Personally I have to give him the benefit of the doubt. Especially with how poorly run and disorganized some of these athletic commissions are.

Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

12.21.2010 | 10:41 AM ET

@Mark Hoxie, Just because you win decisions doesn't make you a bad or boring fighter.  His last 2 wins were fight of the night. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video, results