Tapology Forums

John Kavanaugh says he'd need to be convinced to work with Mcgregor again.

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

12.12.2018 | 2:07 AM ET

Interesting development and a bit out of left field. I'm not sure what to infer from this.

John Kavanagh claims that Conor McGregor would have to convince him to help “The Notorious” to prepare for another fight.

In an interview with Paul Kimmage for the Sunday Independent, Kavanagh stated that he would need a good reason to lead him into battle again.

“Well, he would certainly have to convince me to go again,” said Kavanagh.

“I love the whole journey we’ve had but I’d need a good ‘why’,” he continued. “It might be [Nate] Diaz again because he promised that fight. It might be a rematch with Khabib. But if it was just: ‘Well, they want me to fight that guy’ I think I’d say, ‘I wish you the best.’”

Kavanagh cited McGregor’s young family and the punch that knocked him down during his last outing as reasons he was reluctant for the Irishman to fight again.

“He has a wife and two kids now and I don’t want him taking more hits than he needs to. Khabib hit him with a punch in that fight that he has never been hit with in his career. And even Superman slows down at some stage,” Kavanagh said.

McGregor lost to Nurmagomedov at UFC 229 via fourth-round submission this past October.

This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 6 days, 19 hours, and 53 minutes from now.

Responses

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

12.12.2018 | 2:14 PM ET

I also heard him say that conor never sat down with him to talk after the fight to go over the tape and correct mistakes it sounded to me like they've had no contact at all. swear it feels to me that kavanaugh is on the outs with conor and this is a preemptive excuse to save face. ******* guy must be rich just off his conor fight percentage #1 so be greatful and shut your mouth kav. #2 u don't tell the king what to do the king tells u. If conor wants kav he will have kav and kav wont say **** about it. #3 everyone gets caught with a punch sooner or later it doesn't mean you are done. personally I hope conor moves on from kav for his last fights. Conors boxing is beyond good he doesn't need kav anymore.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

12.14.2018 | 8:24 AM ET

Well I honestly don't think Mcgregor would have achieved what he was able to without Kavanaugh. He is the guy who developed him into the striker he is (along with Roddy) and I do think he's a very good coach. Just look at Artem Lobov. I'm fairly confident without John he'd have never even won a fight in the UFC. He's really not physically gifted at all and he's given much more talented people much more difficult fights than he has any business doling out.

After the Nurmy fight Conor had a bunch of excuses as to why he lost, saying that he listened to 'other' people when he should have listened to himself....hard to take that in good humor when you're his head coach. And he's wrong. If had fought aggressively it would have gone worse for him, he'd have spent 4 minutes of every round locked up. I'm not sure what he can do to win that one. It's just a bad matchup for him, same way that Usman is a bad match for colby. Mcgregor may very well KO Ferguson who I believe will beat Khabib. Styles make fights.

It does read like they have had a falling out. Mcgregor might benefit from a different camp, but I'm not sure where he'd fit best. I reckon Hume might be a good fit.

* Edited at 12.14.2018, 8:29 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 6 days, 19 hours, and 53 minutes from now.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

12.14.2018 | 12:22 PM ET

I wouldn't call it excuses. Kavanaugh is the one who revealed what the gameplan was after the fight I beleave on the joe rogan show. It was a terrible gameplan against a cardio machine like khabib. Coach athletes relationship can be complicated. I don't think he kavanaugh should be trying to retire conor siting his family and being caught by a punch as reasons. I mean seriously we did not c conor at his best against khabib for one fro two conor only been finished by sub four times never by ko. He hasn't taken any severe life changing beatings. I swear it sounds to me like he is gonna lose the goose with the golden egg. Maybe its just a lame publicity stunt to stay in the current headlines. Either way It all sounds weak I think that was literally his way ofbtalking to conor without talking to him. His only option to contact him. 
I wonder how many time kavanaugh has been caught while catching on the mitts.
P.s. fish stop hating on the king. In some parts of the world thats considerd treason. Lol.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

12.14.2018 | 6:38 PM ET

@Free I really don't hate Mcgregor. I do think he's a wankstain but I think that about lots of fighters, and I'll still watch them. I certainly don't think he's as a good as he's cracked up to be. 2-2 from his last 4 and really the khabib fight wasn't close at all. Holloway is much more impressive to me. I also agree that he shouldn't retire. He got floored once in the khabib fight but so what? It's fighting, it happens.He's still a young man with lots of fights left in him and the skills to win them. It's not a rousey situation.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

12.14.2018 | 10:00 PM ET

@fish I knew that im just rambling. 

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! ‘Regretful’ Biter Breaks Silence
  • MMA Mania : An Elite Contender With Only One Combo
  • MMA Mania : ‘Come Over Here Real Quick, Win A Belt, Maybe Win Another Belt’
  • Middle Easy : Conor McGregor Plans To Continue Fighting Until He’s ‘In The F*cking Grave,’ Wants To Face Similar-Aged Opponents
  • Middle Easy : Khalil Rountree Jr Claims Fans Want To See Him Fight Alex Pereira, Doesn’t Care If Pereira Is Champion
  • MMAFighting.com : Vince McMahon unloads another $100 million of TKO Group Holdings stock
  • MMA Junkie : 'That's not who I am': Igor Severino apologizes for bite, hopes one mistake doesn't define career
  • MMA Mania : ‘A Big Spit In The Face Of All The Champions’
  • MMAFighting.com : Payton Talbott rejects Sean O’Malley comparisons after UFC Vegas 89: ‘I don’t want to be compared’
  • UFC.com : Joaquin Buckley: ‘This Is The Reason I’m Here’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’d love that fight’: Tszyu willing to face Spence next, talks fight with Fundora
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘I’d love that fight’: Tim Tszyu willing to face Errol Spence next, talks fight with Sebastian Fundora
  • MMA Junkie : 'Super happy' PFL season newcomer Mads Burnell explains excitement for fight schedule, new weight class
  • MMAFighting.com : Conor McGregor scoffs at retirement: ‘It’s to the motherf****** grave’
  • MMA Mania : Whittaker: Chimaev Fight ‘Came Out Of Nowhere’
  • MMA Junkie : Why 2022 PFL welterweight champ Sadibou Sy moved to light heavyweight for upcoming season
  • MMAFighting.com : Robert Whittaker reacts to Khamzat Chimaev fight at UFC Saudi Arabia: ‘It’s a bit of a shock’
  • MMA Mania : GSP ‘Would Have Put Khabib Down’
  • MMAFighting.com : Logan Paul reveals he had ‘suicidal thoughts’ amid CryptoZoo scandal fallout: ‘I was spiraling’
  • UFC.com : The State Of UFC During UFC 100 And 200