Tapology Forums

Mcgregor v.s. Cerrone thoughts?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Logan03xx
Logan03xx
  • Predictions:  163  |  54.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 150

11.23.2018 | 8:08 PM ET

I know Dana White confirmed this as just a rumor, but I was wondering what everyone else thought about this and what you think the outcome would be. 

"“We’re not just here to take part. We’re here to take over.”"

Responses

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

11.23.2018 | 8:24 PM ET

I think cerrone would win with jujitsu in one like he did with perry. Much like khabib he's too big for conor.
AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

11.23.2018 | 8:33 PM ET

McGregor is not as inept as Perry on the ground, and Cerrone isn't half the wrestler Khabib is. 

McGregor is too accurate and powerful, especially early on. With Cerrone's history of getting hurt early, I wouldn't bet on him surviving very long against McGregor. 

* Edited at 11.23.2018, 8:34 PM ET *

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

11.23.2018 | 9:02 PM ET

It's a fight cowboy could win. I'd say it's 60/40 mcgregor. To put that into perspective, I thought Khabib vs Conor vs 80/20 Khabib.I'm not sold on Conor's power at LW. I think it's a bit of a sham TBH. I'm not saying he doesn't hit hard, but I am saying he probably doesn't hit harder than someone like Lee. Who's he knocked out at LW? Eddie Alvarez.. Poirier has basically done that twice. Not exactly a superhuman feat of strength. Conor is good at picking his moments and countering--very good. But a big part of that is contingent on his opponent fighting his fight, the precursor to which is beating them mentally first.  I've said the whole time that he needs space to work and the trick to beating him isn't giving it to him, especially on the back foot. It's actually pretty simple to beat Mcgregor even at striking; don't stand at the end of lengths, step in close with the guard shoulder propped up to block the left hand. Khabib knew it, which is why Mcgregor couldn't land anything big on him. It's screamingly obvious; make him come forward for pocket exhanges/clinch battles. Don't chase him, because he'll counter the **** out of you.

It's just physics. A guy with longer arms need more space to generate power than a guy with short arms. A guy with longer arms will try and keep you at the end of his range, a guy with shorter arms will try and get up in your ****. This is an eternal rule. That's why the whole 'but reach advantage bro' doesn't make sense. If Reach alone made you aan awesome striker with 1 punch power than Stefan Struve would be the Earnie Shavers of MMA. And Struve was KO'ed by Hunt who has T-Rex arms. Jones also can't box for **** and was getting lit up by DC in the boxing exchanges despite a massive reach advantage. It's not what you've got, it's how good you are with it.

Would cowboy do this? Maybe, but probably not. He's apt to go in there swinging like a maniac and eat straights and left crosses until TKO'ed. If he was smart he would do the above, kick the **** of conor's lead leg ( still amazed nobody sees fit to do this since it sticks out halfway across the octagon) and outwork him.Cowboy has better Cardio. Fight smart until the 4th, as soon as the 4th starts, empty the tank and work hard for a TD. Conor has three rounds in which to be dangerous. After that, he's on autopilot. Make him throw a lot for no result the first three and he's done.

* Edited at 11.23.2018, 9:43 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 5 days, 19 hours, and 37 minutes from now.
jacomalfoy1
jacomalfoy1
  • Predictions:  26,336  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  270
  • Post Score: 187

11.24.2018 | 12:55 AM ET

I think Conor COULD knock him out in the first, but if Cerrone uses his jiu-jitsu then it's all over. The smartest thing for him to do is go back down to Featherweight. He only weighs 168, I guarantee you guys like Holloway and Stephens are cutting more.

"USA in this hoe"

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,978  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

11.24.2018 | 6:15 AM ET

Kinda feel like Conor is getting underestimated in this fight. Cerrone's been chewed up so many times by guys with good boxing(or otherwise high level striking) and I don't think he has the wrestling to take Conor down consistently and get in effective positions.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

11.24.2018 | 8:59 AM ET

Cowboys height should make the difference..

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

11.24.2018 | 9:10 AM ET

does it do 1.5 in buys ??? more ? less ? give us the answers! "The Rock", please!?

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

11.24.2018 | 9:11 AM ET

Perry vs Conor would be ton of fun or is that just me and my downtrodden ways again?

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

Logan03xx
Logan03xx
  • Predictions:  163  |  54.0%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 150

11.24.2018 | 9:48 AM ET

I think it would be a better fight than Conor and Cerrone for sure.

"“We’re not just here to take part. We’re here to take over.”"

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

11.24.2018 | 12:22 PM ET

Hell no! Perry is way too far down the ladder for conor to waste his time with him.
Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

11.24.2018 | 5:37 PM ET

Cowboy is a far more respectable and credentialed opponent than Perry.

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall

11.25.2018 | 1:41 AM ET

Hands down. No doubt about it.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Action-Packed Divisions All Round At ADCC Sydney Open 2024
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: And New Super Lightweight Champion?
  • MMA Mania : Nurmagomedov Injured, Bellator Paris Title Fight Paused
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Inks PFL Extension, Returns At Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Ben Rothwell hopes Mark Hunt signing with BKFC materializes, wants rematch that 'brings eyes'
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Banks Big Money After Placing a $2 Million Bet on Himself to Defeat Devin Haney
  • MMA Junkie : Murad Ramazanov lauds Nurmagomedov training discipline for fast start in PFL debut
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is going to make him a way bigger superstar’: Trainer talks Garcia’s big win over Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is going to make him a way bigger superstar’: Trainer talks Ryan Garcia’s big win over Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘This Could Be A Career Death Sentence’
  • MMAFighting.com : DC calls for McGregor vs. Chandler to be 165-pound ‘super lightweight’ title fight
  • MMA Mania : ‘Be Prepared To Bleed, Rainbow!’
  • Bad Left Hook : Pitbull Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr, Santa Cruz vs Mares 3 on Crawford undercard
  • Middle Easy : Jamahal Hill Says He ‘Took No Damage’ Against Alex Pereira, Plans To Take Out ‘Frustrations’ Against Khalil Rountree Jr
  • MMA Junkie : Savannah Marshall's MMA debut opponent revealed as full 2024 PFL Europe 2 lineup announced
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Shuts Down Chances Of Conor McGregor and Michael Chandler Fighting For Proposed 165-Pound Title
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC owners at Triller acquired by Hong Kong-based finance company in $4 billion merger
  • MMA Junkie : The Ryan Garcia show is ready to take off after upset of Devin Haney | Opinion
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall ‘Would Be In Trouble’ Against Someone Like Velasquez
  • MMA Junkie : John Kavanagh: Conor McGregor's 'technique is as sharp as ever' ahead of UFC 303