Topic: UFC 235

UFC 235: Jones vs. Smith

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Tapology
Tapology
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  32,814
  • Post Score: 47

11.03.2018 | 11:36 PM ET

The official Tapology discussion thread for the event!
UFC 235
  • Saturday 03.02.2019 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: WME-IMG
  • Venue: T-Mobile Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Dominick Cruz
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $4,035,156
  • Attendance: 14,790 (Paid: 10,295)
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 650,000 | TV Ratings: 1.48M avg. viewers (ESPN prelims, 1.65M peak)
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Jon Jones   defeats   Anthony Smith   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Kamaru Usman   defeats   Tyron Woodley   via Decision, Unanimous   5 Rounds, 25:00 Total Bout Page
Ben Askren   defeats   Robbie Lawler   via Submission, Bulldog Choke   3:20 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Weili Zhang   defeats   Tecia Torres   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Pedro Munhoz   defeats   Cody Garbrandt   via KO/TKO, Punches   4:52 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Zabit Magomedsharipov   defeats   Jeremy Stephens   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Johnny Walker   defeats   Misha Cirkunov   via KO/TKO, Flying Knee and Punches   0:36 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Cody Stamann   defeats   Alejandro Perez   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Diego Sanchez   defeats   Mickey Gall   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   4:13 Round 2 of 3, 9:13 Total Bout Page
Edmen Shahbazyan   defeats   Charles Byrd   via KO/TKO, Elbows and Punches   0:38 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Macy Chiasson   defeats   Gina Mazany   via KO/TKO, Punches   1:49 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Hannah Cifers   defeats   Polyana Viana   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses Page 5

bjj3tkd4kendo5
bjj3tkd4kendo5
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  12
  • Post Score: 50

02.28.2019 | 3:17 AM ET

He only got some undisclosed amount. Max 400 mil.  But liquid?  Dont know.  Prob reinvested some when the ufc got aquired by wwe Bollywood the man wme. Sorry not trying to be wiki pedia.  I hate all those too. Still think jone Jones is ok and not great. Dont care how now people say it.  Fedor Aldo  gsp. Poss t wood and i know max will be one day all the old school guys like sakuraba liddell randy even tito warriors. Pat Dan gracies the old old school guys as well.  Its just hard to respect smilin sam notorious cm.  Sorry guess thats just ********do talk.  
Awesome profile and pic. White belt to black belt.  
Gunnar
Gunnar
  • Predictions:  2,576  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  172
  • Post Score: 66

02.28.2019 | 4:22 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 11 Winners, 2 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 1891st

Sanchez vs. Gall
Mickey Gall, TKO, R1
Elbows from on top.

Chicken Chaser
Chicken Chaser
  • Predictions:  1,728  |  62.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: 100

02.28.2019 | 7:33 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 565 Points   |   Tied for 337th

Stephens vs. Magomedsharipov
Zabit Magomedsharipov, SUB, R1
And

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

02.28.2019 | 11:40 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 440 Points   |   Tied for 1329th

This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 13 hours, and 8 minutes from now.
Felipemasa
Felipemasa
  • Predictions:  422  |  60.9%
  • Forum Posts:  10
  • Post Score: 10

02.28.2019 | 2:24 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 4 Perfect, 565 Points   |   Tied for 337th

Kup januszka

* Edited at 02.28.2019, 2:27 PM ET *

Mitch7
Mitch7
  • Predictions:  78,740  |  59.5%
  • Forum Posts:  43
  • Post Score: 37

02.28.2019 | 3:18 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 475 Points   |   Tied for 1026th

Jones vs. Smith
Jon Jones, TKO, R3
Has anybody thought about drug testing these commission guys,'pulsing' drugs,these fools are making it up as they go along !!!

Jewymma
Jewymma
  • Predictions:  734  |  58.6%
  • Forum Posts:  2
  • Post Score: 400

02.28.2019 | 6:21 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 1579th

Lawler vs. Askren
Robbie Lawler, TKO, R1
WAR

"HAIL LUGO"

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

02.28.2019 | 9:12 PM ET

This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 3 weeks, 2 days, 13 hours, and 8 minutes from now.
Gunnar
Gunnar

02.28.2019 | 9:17 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Garbrandt vs. Munhoz
Cody Garbrandt, TKO, R1
Hard one to call. I see this going one of 3 ways. 1) Pedro walks onto a massive right hand. 2) Cody can't get Pedro to fight at his pace and range, and doesn't land the one big shot, and Pedro pressures him and out scores him, Pedro UD. 3) Pedro pushes through Cody's explosive line of defense and forces a brawl, lands and Cody goes the way of the TJ fights. Pedro club & sub. Really hard to call this one.

Gunnar
Gunnar

02.28.2019 | 10:34 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Byrd vs. Shahbazyan
Edmen Shahbazyan, DEC
I can see this one going the exact same as the Edmen vs. Stewart fight, only i'm not sure who wins it. I was defaulting to ends in R1, but i can see this being a grinding decision where both guys force the clinch and someone gets ride time. I'd give a slight edge to Edmen there seeing as he showed he can do that vs. a pretty athletic guy in Stewart, and Byrd's build suggests he slows. Shab DEC +400 is a good deal. Byrd does get finished a lot but I like this fight to play out just like the stewart fight. Byrd being a little sharper on the feet early, both guys being ancy to force a clinch and Edmen being more efficient and outworking Byrd for 3 rounds. Byrd's athleticism and composure on the feet r1 makes me feel like the first round finish isn't as likely as Shab's record would suggest. And once you make it out of there, it'll be wrestling for 3. FGTD +189 might be worth a look.

Viana vs. Cifers
Polyana Viana, SUB, R2
Cifers has plenty of holes in her game. She has some of Andrade elements but she is missing a lot of the stuff that makes Andrade game so dam effective. She is a MT striker with poor movement, but great power for her size. Her arms are so short so it makes her throw mostly power shots from static positions. That is going to be a problem vs the longer girl in Viana. She seems to have a bit of grappling, but the wrestling isn't quite there. I can kinda see this being a reasonably competitve fight in spots, but Viana just being longer, scoring far better, and having success in the clinch and maybe a takedown or 2. Viana UD. Aldrich moves VERY well. That was the key to her win. Cifers isn't anything like Aldrich. Cifers lack of movement is a huge issue for her here. She is much more suited to fighting Jessica Aguilar kinda girls. If this was vs. Jessica Aguilar it'd be Cifers ITD for sure. Viana is athletic and long, she has the grappling advantage and she has the advantage on the feet with movement and scoring strikes. Not sure if she gets a submission, I can see it coming, but I think she probably wins this one unless Cifers has some new found ability to get inside with punches or lands something big that turns the tide. Cifers is just going to have a really hard time scoring in the striking, which is her domain of competence. Bad style match up for her. Which the UFC knows, hence why they made this fight off the back of her PR media success. Also JJ Aldrich is very underrated. For me, Cifers would really have to rock and hurt Viana early and then bully her to win this fight. Viana has a chin. That's just a super hard way to win a fight. Aldrich CRACKED Viana multiple times and it didn't phase her.

Gunnar
Gunnar

02.28.2019 | 10:41 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Cirkunov vs. Walker
Misha Cirkunov, SUB, R2
I think Walker is very explosive, with a very good frame and nice movement on the feet, but I think Cirkunov is the superior martial artist. If he can negotiate those dangerous first few minutes and get a feeling for how Johnny moves and his timing, he is going to be able to do work, increasing in its effectiveness throughout the course of the fight. Johnny has A LOT to prove, and those two fast KO's showed some good things about his movement and his clinch, but it's not enough for me to extrapolate that into a complete fighter, and his regional tape kind of says that is all he is. Johnny has A LOT to prove, and those two fast KO's showed some good things about his movement and his clinch, but it's not enough for me to extrapolate that into a complete fighter, and his regional tape kind of says that is all he is. I think he's made improvements in the last two or three years, but I think what we have seen is what he is. Big, athletic early, kind of loose and open on the feet, good movement, likes the clinch if you close distance. Not a great wrestling game, likes long kicks and the right hand. Misha 2nd RND sub for me. Maybe 3rd round. Johnny slows, Misha lands at an even clip and doesn't get dropped, starts pressuring JOhnny and collapsing the range. Gets the body lock toward late 1st round. Gets side mount 2nd round. Finds a choke somewhere in there. Or just beats on him to where a 3rd round recovery isn't likely. For Johnny to win, with how I currently visualize him, he needs to replicate those finishing sequences at some point in the fight. He doesn't have enough of a style to be putting together a 3 round performance vs. a guy like Cirkunov.

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

02.28.2019 | 10:43 PM ET

Bold @Gunnar I like it. 
Gunnar
Gunnar

02.28.2019 | 10:45 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Zabit Magomedsharipov, DEC
This is a pretty standard Stephens vs. talented guy with multiple avenues to victory fight. Zabit has good punching, but he doesn't have a lot of natural power in his hand strikes. Stephens will do his usual walk you down, heavy low kicks and big overhands. Zabit will be trying to confuse him from the outside with a lot of different looks. I can see Stephens landing the big shot, but if you look at this fight in terms of paths to victory, Zabit has a lot more. Wrestling. Kicking range. Clinch. He's probably as physically strong as Stephens in grappling exchanges, if not more. Wouldn't bet against Stephens, but I won't bet for him in this spot. Just hoping for a good fight, which feels highly likely.

Gunnar
Gunnar

02.28.2019 | 10:49 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Perez vs. Stamann
Cody Stamann, DEC
I like Perez, but there are plenty of style reasons Staman beats Perez. Perez already fought someone like Staman a few years ago and showed at his core why he is stylistically ill suited for this style match up (Fredy Serano - TUF Latin America). He doesn't have enough output to take rounds, nor hurt Staman. Staman is smart on the feet as well. He is a Chad Mendes template with a little less of everything Chad has. He is pretty smart on the feet. Sets traps and reads patterns. Good takedowns and as long as you don't bring the wrong style of fight (which Perez can't) his gas holds up fine. Staman finish is dependant on how much ride time he gets r1, but I think he probably just dominates a 30-27 UD.

AtoZsportsinv
AtoZsportsinv
  • Predictions:  1,447  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  238
  • Post Score: 183

02.28.2019 | 11:48 PM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 9 Winners, 1 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 1891st

Woodley vs. Usman
Tyron Woodley, DEC
I think Woodley is better then Usman at every level. Just what can Usman do better then Woodley? This probably won't be an exciting fight. Woodley stays champ.

Byrd vs. Shahbazyan
Edmen Shahbazyan, TKO, R2
This will be a good scrap. It won't be easy but sooner or later Edmen lands solid and wins by TKO. Byrd will have his moments but it will not be enough.

"Aiming to be professional sports handicapper"

AtoZsportsinv
AtoZsportsinv
  • Predictions:  1,447  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  238
  • Post Score: 183

03.01.2019 | 12:06 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 6 of 9 Winners, 1 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 1891st

Jones vs. Smith
Jon Jones, TKO, R3
Smith is peaking into this match. He just isn't good enough. Trust me I would love to see Jones get laid out but have to pick Jones to win by TKO

"Aiming to be professional sports handicapper"

BradThom717
BradThom717
  • Predictions:  9,430  |  68.7%
  • Forum Posts:  2,387
  • Post Score: 271

03.01.2019 | 1:20 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Predictions: 8 of 12 Winners, 5 Perfect, 575 Points   |   Tied for 266th

Jones vs. Smith
Jon Jones, TKO, R2
Maaaan... I'm just putting it it there. I can't stand Jon Jones. I can't wait for him to get what he sooo deserves.... To get his ****-king ass beat. And he needs to be humbled tooo. As a person, he makes my blood boil coz hes ALWAYS gotten the celebrity treatment and always got off with less than the minimum sentence for EVERYTHING. But as a fighter.. He's goood. he's reeaaal dammmn goood. He's technically never lost a fight. TECHNICALLY. And think of all the huge names he has on his hit list.. Can ANYONE stop Jon Jones? My answer would be "sure, he's human." But I'm not quite sure that Anthony Smith is that guy.. Tho I'd love to see it happen

Woodley vs. Usman
Tyron Woodley, TKO, R3
Sooo if they're both wrestlers, the wrestling should be canceled out... If you take away wrestling from both of these guys, I'd be wayyy more confident in Woodley's ability to close the show than Usman... I think I got my answer for this pick....

Lawler vs. Askren
Ben Askren, DEC
Well, I expect this to go one of only two ways. Either Askren "Ruthlessly" Rides Lawler for 15 Mins and cruises to a unanimous decision.................. Or, Lawler completely knocks Askren's big funky dome right off his shoulders and into space.......

Torres vs. Zhang
Weili Zhang, DEC
I'm actually a little surprised there isn't more ppl taking Tecia Torres here. She's the more well known commodity and arguably faced the better opposition. But I like Weili Zhang.. Tecia Torres is actually surprisingly durable and hard to finish (obviously, she's never been finished) sooo with that being said, I think Zhang gets only her 3rd career win by Decision. That's crazy for a 115lb chick to have finished 16/18 wins...

Garbrandt vs. Munhoz
Cody Garbrandt, TKO, R1
Maaaaan! What a matchup. Seriously one of the more intriguing Bantamweight fights...

Zabit Magomedsharipov, DEC
This is what Joe Rogan would call a fantastic fight! Zabît FINALLY gets a real legit test in the UFC. This should be a good fight to get a real time benchmark on this kid. He's looked unstoppable against guys that aren't really on his level (which he shoulda), but if he does that to Stephens, I'll say the hype is real. Either way, win or lose, His stock only continues to rise. He can easily become one of the UFC's so called superstars. He's just sooo damn fun to watch, and when Zabit's having fun, he really puts on a show.

"**** Fentanyl & **** Opiates too..."

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

03.01.2019 | 1:25 AM ET

Predictions: 9 of 12 Winners, 3 Perfect, 605 Points   |   Tied for 142nd

@Brad I'm taking the tiny tornado. Zhang has a good record but has beaten nobodies, really. I think this fight will look like Waterson vs Torres.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 23 hours, and 53 minutes from now.
BradThom717
BradThom717

03.01.2019 | 2:30 AM ET

Prediction Comments

Cirkunov vs. Walker
Johnny Walker, TKO, R1
Is it me, or did the Light Heavyweight Division finally get it's glamour back, and literally just in the last ½ a year? Annnd Nooo. it's not ONLY because Jon Jones'punk ass is back... There's been a buncha new additions.. Johnny Walker being one of them guys.. Also Anthony Smith & Thiago Santos coming up in weight, annnd looked even scarier.. But this fight... I really dnt knoooow maaaaan... I'll hafta smoke a Doober and think about it some more I guess....

Mazany vs. Chiasson
Macy Chiasson, DEC
Ok, this is one of those times where u shouldn't pay too much attention to Macy's 3–0 record, coz you watch her and you'll think she's had more than 3 pro fights tooo. This is a good matchup for Macy...... Not sooo much for Mazany.

BradThom717
BradThom717

03.01.2019 | 4:27 AM ET

@Fish ... I forgot about Torres vs. Waterson

Page 5

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Muhammad Goes Off On Edwards And ‘Fakest Team I’ve Ever Seen’
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Garcia has skill set to compete with Devin Haney. Does he have mindset?
  • MMAFighting.com : Max Holloway mocks Ilia Topuria’s demands for potential fight; Topuria responds
  • MMA Junkie : Henry Cejudo: Bo Nickal needs to hold his horses, 'maybe 10 fights away from possibly becoming UFC champion'
  • MMA Mania : Frenemies? ‘I Hate To See A Fighter Lose His Confidence’
  • MMA Junkie : 2024 PFL 3 weigh-in results: Welterweights, featherweights set in Chicago
  • MMA Mania : ‘When I Was Your Age, I Already Had Title Defenses, Buddy’
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia fight card
  • Middle Easy : Exclusive: Belal Muhammad Claims He ‘Hates Leon Edwards’ Guts,’ Hopes To Dethrone The Welterweight King In Manchester
  • Middle Easy : Jorge Masvidal Says He’s ‘Definitely’ Returning To UFC, Wants Logan Paul Or Floyd Mayweather Jr In Boxing After Nate Diaz
  • Middle Easy : Daniel Cormier Suggests Herb Dean Played a Part in Jamahal Hill’s UFC 300 Loss, ‘Big’ John McCarthy Responds
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway responds to the 'un-BMF' demands from UFC champ Ilia Topuria
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Eddie Hearn says things about to get real for Ryan Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘You will be exposed on Saturday night if you are not ready’: Hearn says things about to get real for Garcia
  • MMA Mania : PFL Chicago Weigh Ins Results, Staredowns!
  • MMAFighting.com : Video: Relive every win of Conor McGregor’s epic UFC career
  • MMA Junkie : Sean Strickland vs. Paulo Costa: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC 302 co-headliner
  • MMA Mania : No Foul Play! ‘The Cutman Used A Boxing Technique’
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video
  • MMAFighting.com : PFL 3 weigh-in video, results