Topic: Site Features & Issues

Website Maintenance - Monday Morning

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,559
  • Post Score: 275

10.19.2018 | 3:13 PM ET

Heads up everyone --- We are planning to do maintenance to the website Monday morning, sometime between 9am ET and 12pm ET.  Exact time to be determined.

It will involve at least an hour of the site being completely unavailable.

We know that's inconvenient, but it is by far the easier (and less expensive) option for certain kinds of server upgrade work. There are ways to do this without having any downtime - that's what bigger companies do - but for us it does not make sense to go through so much extra effort to avoid a short outage.

After the maintenance the site should be exactly the same. No new features or anything like that. We release small new features and changes all the time without any downtime. But this downtime has to do with switching to newer/better servers.

Sorry for the outage! Feel free to ask any questions if you want more details.

* Edited at 10.19.2018, 3:14 PM ET *

"I live, I die, I live again."

Responses

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

10.19.2018 | 5:41 PM ET

Tell me about these upgrades...... :D

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 8 hours, and 15 minutes from now.
GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

10.19.2018 | 7:29 PM ET

Do your thing Greg.  Can't wait to see the upgrades in due time.

"..."

Gregory
Gregory

10.20.2018 | 11:25 AM ET

@fishrat okay since you asked. But it's not terribly exciting!

All of Tapology is running on virtual servers. That is, we don't own any actual servers or hardware. You just pay a big 3rd party company like Amazon, Linode, Digital Ocean or Heroku to give you control of "virtual" servers that they operate in giant server warehouses.

All of our servers are running on Ubuntu 14 which is a version of Linux that is getting pretty old and will no longer be supported come April 2019.

Furthermore, the hardware configurations have all gotten better. So we might be paying $100 a month for a particular virtual server that has 16gb of memory.  But if we rent a NEW virtual server that has 16gb of memory, the price is only $50 a month. But you don't just get the price discounts. You have to actually abandon the old servers and move onto new ones.

So what we're doing is shutting down all the old Ubuntu 14 virtual servers and moving onto new ones running Ubuntu 18. And we'll also save some money over time, because each one will be less expensive.

To move the Tapology data over (that is, the part of our servers where we actually have a database with all our data), we have to shut the whole website down for downtime.  The database is constantly updating throughout every day with all kinds of updates.  If we don't shut the website down first before we copy over the database, the two versions won't match. You might make fight picks, and then 20 minutes later when we're using the new servers, those fight picks are gone.  To avoid that, we'll take the whole site down first.

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

10.20.2018 | 5:40 PM ET

Jesus Ubuntu is up to 18 now? Man I am out of the loop. Glad to hear that you're using Linux as the platform, everyone who knows what they're doing does. Much more secure and just roundly better an more customizable in every way. Only reason I don't run it is because so many games either won't run on it ( steam) or on't work properly. Also Java ( yick) issues in the past. And, you know...I'm not doing anything important anyway. 

Have rented a few servers in the past for large MMO/open world type games ( Ark and 7 days to die). None have been amazing, slim pickings with what we can get here in Aus and still get some semblance of respectable ping. Blackbox is about as good as we can get.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 8 hours, and 15 minutes from now.
Gregory
Gregory

10.22.2018 | 1:12 PM ET

Well that took a BIT longer than planned!

Gregory
Gregory

10.22.2018 | 2:49 PM ET

If there are any issues or strange things anyone sees, please let us know. Otherwise things seem to be working just fine!

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

10.22.2018 | 6:45 PM ET

If there are any issues or strange things anyone sees, please let us know. Otherwise things seem to be working just fine!

Earlier I tried to change the round finishes when editing some picks..... and I literally turned in to a salamander.

In all seriousness though it seems to be working fine. Let me try something...

Ok, that's cool. For whatever reason, I can now upload GIFS/memes using the image ( link) button. Prior to the updates it flat out never workjed for me on Opera. I'm using the same extensions etc, so make of that what you will.

* Edited at 10.22.2018, 6:55 PM ET *

Gregory
Gregory

10.22.2018 | 6:58 PM ET

@fishrat don't know what to tell you about that!  sounds odd.  I can't think of why an updated Ubuntu package would cause that.  The Tapology code is the same.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

10.22.2018 | 8:10 PM ET

@fishrat

Your main problem is using Opera.  Use Firefox like a normal person, weirdo. ;)

"..."

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

10.22.2018 | 8:41 PM ET

eeehh I wish I could go back to firefox. I mean I really want to support Mozilla or anything that isn't google, but Mozilla were always the guys that were all about privacy and open source. Last few versions I tried they had allied with yahoo and I didn't like the interface. Been a few years now, I might give them another look in.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Bill Haney gifts Ryan Garcia ‘Psychology for Dummies’ book
  • MMA Junkie : Brennan Ward nostalgic for Bellator, but ready to wreak havoc in $1 million PFL season
  • Middle Easy : Video – Drunk ‘Karen’ Tries to Pick a Fight with UFC Flyweight Star Maycee Barber
  • Middle Easy : UFC’s Bo Nickal Claps Back At Khamzat Chimaev, Vows To ‘Rag Doll’ Undefeated Star In Future Fight
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Declines Jamahal Hill’s Challenge: ‘I’d Like to Fight for the Title’
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Declines Jamahal Hill’s Challenge : ‘I’d Like to Fight for the Title’
  • MMA Junkie : Michael Bisping explains why Sean Strickland has 'significant advantage' vs. Paulo Costa at UFC 302
  • MMAFighting.com : Haney vs. Garcia press conference video live now
  • Middle Easy : T.J. Dillashaw Confident Jon Jones Would ‘Easily’ Outwrestle Alex Pereira in Potential Heavyweight Clash
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Haney Vs Garcia Press Conference Video!
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker: Bo Nickal has 'some work to do' before he's ready for top-10 fights
  • UFC.com : UFC UNFILTERED | Arman Tsarukyan & Renato Moicano Talk Wins At UFC 300
  • Middle Easy : UFC 300: Robert Whittaker Reveals Key Factors That Led To Jamahal Hill’s KO Loss vs. Alex Pereira
  • MMA Mania : Ilia Ultimatum: Defend ‘BMF’ Belt Or I Rematch Volks!
  • UFC.com : UFC Performance Institute In Mexico City Celebrates Inaugural Academy Combine
  • UFC.com : Where We Stand: Lightweight Division | April 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan says UFC 300 judge apologized for scoring fight in Charles Oliveira's favor
  • UFC.com : Cam Smotherman’s Revenge Tour | UFC Fight Pass
  • MMAFighting.com : Jiri Prochazka wants Alex Pereira rematch as soon as possible, knows eating punches ‘will not work’
  • MMA Junkie : Robert Whittaker vs. Khamzat Chimaev: Odds and what to know ahead of UFC on ABC 6 headliner