Topic: UFC Matchups

Cormier stripped, Jones/Gustafsson for the title

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

10.10.2018 | 3:22 PM ET

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Responses

jacomalfoy1
jacomalfoy1
  • Predictions:  26,336  |  66.3%
  • Forum Posts:  270
  • Post Score: 187

10.10.2018 | 3:59 PM ET

"To be stripped." Meaning that if this fight doesn't happen, then DC gets to keep his belt. Much like Khabib vs. Ferguson (or later Iaquinta), Cormier isn't going to be stripped until that cage door closes. And chances are one of them won't make the walk, so DC has a big chance of staying champ champ.

"USA in this hoe"

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

10.10.2018 | 4:25 PM ET

As much as I'm going to hate it, Jones is going to win this fight, and probably convincingly. I think people are reading too much in to the first fight. When Jones said he didn't train properly for that bout and was doing a bunch of coke it might the one truthful thing that serial liar has ever said.

But boy will I be rooting hard for Gus.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 4 days, 11 hours, and 11 minutes from now.
unbeknownst
unbeknownst
  • Predictions:  5,020  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,679
  • Post Score: 208

10.10.2018 | 5:26 PM ET

This is the perfect opponent for Jones' return. Not because of their history, but because Gus has put himself on self imposed hiatus and hasn't fought since before DC/Jones. 

"I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture, and kill them."

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

10.10.2018 | 6:13 PM ET

This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 4 days, and 26 minutes from now.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

10.10.2018 | 6:34 PM ET

I'll have to think about it more, but my immediate instinct is that Jones wins. The only thing gus does better than Johnny crackpipe is box. John actually has atrociously bad boxing defense especially in the pocket ( DC is good here and if you need proof of that...well, he KO'ed Miocic off the clinch and was lighting Jones up with uppercuts).

It's probably the one area of MMA when having an inhuman reach is a negative.

The other thing is, Gus doesn't hit hard. I wouldn't call him a volume puncher necessarily ( he's not as categorically this as Nate Diaz) but he doesn't put peoples lights out with one the way Rumble Johnson does ( did). It's not death by a thousand cuts, but he does need to land a few to really put his opponent on ***** street. I've always thought it would need to be a very hard puncher with slick pocket skills to end Bone's night. If Oezdemir was more than  two round fighter and had better TD I'd favor him to beat Jones, but he isn't and doesn't.

So Jones is better than Gustavson basically everywhere else. Gus would need to fight a PERFECT fight to win. What would doing that look like? Keeping him bunched up and being wary of those spinning hellbows.  If Jones is able to keep him at his range, he is just going to teep, low chop and oblique kick the living **** out of him. Gotta do what DC did, and force an inside fight. Literally every dangerous strike Jones throws comes from way, way out--supermans, jump knees, spinning elbows. Everything.

What does encourage me is how well  Gus was able to stifle DC's and Jone's takedowns both.He  does have a gas crash pretty hard late in the third onwards. I would like to see him pick his battles more effectively to address this.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 4 days, 11 hours, and 11 minutes from now.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Kamaru Usman Says Dana White ’10-7ed The Media’ With UFC 300’s Success
  • Middle Easy : Arman Tsarukyan Fires Back At Michael Chandler For Criticizing His Decision To Turn Down Islam Makhachev Title Fight
  • Jits Magazine : Mikey Musumeci Moves Up To Challenge Kade Ruotolo For Lightweight Title At ONE 168
  • MMAFighting.com : Israel Adesanya reflects on Alex Pereira rivalry: ‘He’s a special human being’
  • MMA Junkie : Justin Gaethje plans to limit physical training for 'six months at least' after UFC 300 knockout loss
  • MMA Mania : Garcia: ‘Crazy’ Gimmick Planned Months In Advance
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Says He Is Likely To Earn ‘$30-50 Million’ From Devin Haney Fight
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘My son got down on you’: Bill Haney and Floyd Mayweather get into heated argument online
  • MMAFighting.com : Ilia Topuria on Sean O’Malley superfight: ‘If he defends the belt, that’s going to be the biggest fight in UFC history’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 pre-event facts: Karine Silva looks to continue historic octagon start
  • Middle Easy : Maycee Barber Details Parking Lot Incident With ‘Crazy Lady’, Says She Texted Dana White About Possibly Going To Jail
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry targets fights with Jake Paul and 'fat b*tch' Darren Till if successful at BKFC KnuckleMania 4
  • Jits Magazine : Star-Studded Lineup Confirmed For UFC Fight Pass Invitational 7
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Chandler criticizes Arman Tsarukyan turning down UFC 302 title fight, Tsrukyan unloads back
  • MMA Mania : UFC 304 Official For July 27 In Manchester
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 55 commentary team, broadcast plans set: New trio calls action from cageside for first time
  • MMAFighting.com : The 2024 MMA Draft: Which 35 fighters are the best building blocks for MMA promotions?
  • MMA Mania : Gaethje Didn’t Realize ‘How Much Danger I Was In’ Against Holloway
  • MMA Junkie : UFC returns to Manchester for UFC 304 on July 27
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC 304 announced for Manchester this summer