Topic: UFC 229

Did Conor really show up?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

TappinDatazz
TappinDatazz
  • Predictions:  99  |  49.5%
  • Forum Posts:  12
  • Post Score: 75

10.07.2018 | 9:06 AM ET

Predictions: 7 of 12 Winners, 0 Perfect, 365 Points   |   Tied for 1436th

Let me state I'm no deluded McNugget man fan. Or worse yet, a super casual fan who's just a McNugget fan and not an MMA fan. Yes, I respect the man tremendously for what he has been able to do in the sport of MMA and beyond. He's definitely set the bar HIGH and I don't think there's going to be another super star like Conor McGregor anytime soon. Love or hate him he's taken the sport to new heights and has done incredible things (and not so incredible) things within MMA. With that said I wasn't some super fan of his and being apart and a fan of MMA, there's other fighters who I definitely favor over McGregor but I cannot deny McGregors talent.

And last night I felt McGregor didn't fully show up. NOT at all am I taking anything away from Khabib, I knew Khabib was going to come into this fight the best he's ever been, being its the biggest fight of his career ever. I just felt Conor just didn't have that real hunger and showmanship he usually does. He had some small but good moments in the fight and having gotten up to his feet and stuffing the takedowns, he never made tried making Khabib feel discouraged and playing any mind games. Granted we all know Khabib's mental game is bulletproof still, Conor just looked defeated to me the moment he was making his way out. He just didn't have that fire in his eyes to me.

One of those reasons is obvious; he's made MASSIVE amounts of money and is still making massive amounts of money within and outside of MMA. He's accomplished his goals and at this point, there's really not much for him to gain monetary wise. He's simply not a fighter right now, he's just an athlete. Conor has gotten what he's wanted and much more so he's already left his legacy in the sport. I don't want to do MMAth but much lesser guys (in terms of MMA) have been able to hang with Khabib. For instance, Al Iaquinta is no McGregor and was able to go 5 rounds with Khabib, albeit he was dominated from bell-to-bell. 

This is not to say I was expecting McGregor to win but I definitely thought it'll at least be a more competitive fight. And despite signing an 8 fight Contract, I don't see McGregor fulfilling that. I do see the UFC milking a possible rematch between Conor and Khabib just because of all the drama and aftermath of their first fight. So a rematch will make $$$$. I would love to see Conor fight the likes of Ferguson, Kevin Lee, Holloway, maybe Ortega, even much less likely a Poirier rematch but I just don't see those fights happening. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't see Conor having the fire to fulfill so many fights besides the Khabib rematch and MAYBE a Ferguson fight. He simply doesn't need too from a monetary and legacy stand point since but as a fighter, I don't see the fighter in him right now. 

What do you guys think? 

* Edited at 10.07.2018, 9:10 AM ET *

UFC 229
  • Saturday 10.06.2018 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: Fox Sports 1
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: WME-IMG
  • Venue: T-Mobile Arena
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Joe Rogan, Jon Anik, Dominick Cruz
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $17,188,895
  • Attendance: 20,034
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 2,400,000 | TV Ratings: 1.3M avg. viewers (FS1 prelims, 1.55M peak)
  • MMA Bouts: 12
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Khabib Nurmagomedov   defeats   Conor McGregor   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   3:03 Round 4 of 5, 18:03 Total Bout Page
Tony Ferguson   defeats   Anthony Pettis   via KO/TKO, Corner Stoppage (broken Hand)   5:00 Round 2 of 3, 10:00 Total Bout Page
Dominick Reyes   defeats   Ovince St. Preux   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Derrick Lewis   defeats   Alexander Volkov   via KO/TKO, Punches   4:49 Round 3 of 3, 14:49 Total Bout Page
Michelle Waterson-Gomez   defeats   Felice Herrig   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jussier Formiga   defeats   Sergio Pettis   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Vicente Luque   defeats   Jalin Turner   via KO/TKO, Punches   3:52 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Aspen Ladd   defeats   Tonya Evinger   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   3:26 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Scott Holtzman   defeats   Alan Patrick   via KO/TKO, Elbows From Mount   3:42 Round 3 of 3, 13:42 Total Bout Page
Yana Santos   defeats   Lina Länsberg   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Nik Lentz   defeats   Gray Maynard   via KO/TKO, Head Kick and Punches   1:19 Round 2 of 3, 6:19 Total Bout Page
Anthony Rocco Martin   defeats   Ryan LaFlare   via KO/TKO, Head Kick and Punches   1:00 Round 3 of 3, 11:00 Total Bout Page

Responses

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

10.07.2018 | 3:48 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 355 Points   |   Tied for 1517th

Mcgregor did show up, he just had nothing.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 3 days, 16 hours, and 55 minutes from now.
jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

10.08.2018 | 9:54 PM ET

Predictions: 6 of 12 Winners, 1 Perfect, 355 Points   |   Tied for 1517th

Newsflash: McGregor isn't the best lightweight in the world, Khabib is.  McGregor isn't even the second best, Ferguson is.  

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Jits Magazine : Elijah Dorsey To Challenge Max Hanson For Welterweight Title At Enigma Invitational 15
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: Buckley Lands UFC St. Louis Co-Main Vs. Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 91 Odds, Under Dogs And Best Bets!
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Just continue being the best’: Crawford looks forward to upcoming title fight with Madrimov
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Gets New Opponent For Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Terence Crawford vs. Israil Madrimov official; Isaac Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr. on undercard
  • Middle Easy : Chris Weidman Compares Alex Pereira’s Wrestling To Ben Askren’s Striking: ‘Such A Deficiency’
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Would Step In The Fire With Pereira And He Knows That’
  • MMA Junkie : Matheus Nicolau done with Manel Kape bookings, focused on title shot after UFC on ESPN 55 headliner
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC KnuckleMania 4 fight card: Perry vs. Alves
  • Middle Easy : ‘Cowboy’ Cerrone Tears Bicep ‘Off the Bone’ While Preparing to Ride Dana White’s Prized Bull
  • MMA Junkie : Ryan Spann claims he hasn't watched tape on Bogdan Guskov ahead of UFC on ESPN 55 co-main bout
  • MMA Mania : Keep $300K Bonuses! ‘It Can’t Go Back’
  • MMAFighting.com : Joaquin Buckley vs. Nursulton Ruziboev announced for UFC St. Louis co-headliner
  • MMA Junkie : Joaquin Buckley gets UFC on ESPN 56 co-main assignment vs. Nursulton Ruziboev
  • MMA Mania : Pereira = ... Askren? ‘It’s Weird To See’
  • MMAFighting.com : Cain Velasquez attempted murder trial set to begin in September
  • MMA Junkie : Jose Aldo confirms UFC 301 final fight on contract, hints at boxing match at Jake Paul vs. Mike Tyson
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Run it back, give fans a fair fight’: Devin Haney on Ryan Garcia loss
  • UFC.com : Alexandre Pantoja | TUF Beginnings