Topic: MMA Media & Websites

Article 11 and 13 and the Potential Implications for Tapology

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

09.11.2018 | 8:16 PM ET

For those who haven't been paying attention, the European Union in all of its "wisdom" decided that they would propose bills that effectively handicap the internet for all European internet users as well as, to a lesser extent, non European users who seek to use European sites in Article 11 and Article 13.  With Article 11, the EU proposes a link/snipping tax which makes anyone hosting what is considered "copyrighted content" a licensing fee for a link/image/etc from said content.  With Article 13, it essentially does away with the notion of fair use and anyone that uses "copyrighted material" will be flagged.  Now the main sites these bills hurts the most are Google, Facebook, and Twitter, but it has major implications for all sites that seek to have a European presence.  And given that we like to share MMA news from various sources on this site, as well as share highlights videos and such, it could limit the information that this site can have access to from across the pond and vice versa.  Now there are currently people trying to fight against the bills and have them massively changed or killed in the European Parliament.  That being said, should these authoritarian bills get passed, I'd like to ask ahead of time how the rules for Tapology change with regards to hosting of content on this site?

"..."

Responses

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

09.11.2018 | 10:46 PM ET

I have no idea what you're talking about but my point is simply this, nothing is limited on the internet. You can access anything & everything you want at any and all times 24/7, 365. "They'll" do fookin nuttin. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 3 weeks, 1 day, 20 hours, and 37 minutes from now.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

09.12.2018 | 12:05 AM ET

I'm in two minds about this.A Tax for simply linking or sharing a few images is ridiculous, but I don't believe it will work as simplistically as that. It is more likely is that the content owners would generate the equivalent of licensing fees by issuing publishing rights to select third party outlets.The whole thing seems counterintuitive to me frankly because all this would achieve would be to limit the publicity that any type of media receives. I suppose the powers that be who are lobbying for this thing suppose that they will corner the market coverage of high-interest events. They're probably right.

Is it unfair? Yes and no. Ultimately, content creators should have some say, more or less, in who uses their content and for what. And so should third parties who pay licensing fees, because as it stands, you've got a bunch of ****tards on youtube making bank for having done nothing. And nothing about that is fair.

What I don't like about it:

This will limit the ability of people to critique products and services, and the people who do this will be held to ransom by content creators. Either they will give favorable reviews to their products and services, or they simply won't be licensed to do it anymore under penury. That's bad for consumers. It will also funnel exclusivity and power to media megahouses, which is also bad for consumers--and it's not great for the truth, either. Article 13 is the worst, because it basically puts on every site on the hook for everything that is ever posted, and small sites simply will not have the resources to manage their indemnity. All this will do is make the big players bigger and more powerful, because the mandated effective content recognition technologies' don't come cheap.

it is good in the sense that it protects the IP of content creators and will make it much more difficult for rip-off merchants, especially on youtube, to make money from 'reviews' of games, fights, films and other media which are essentially useless and achieve nothing other than to make them money. There are so may channels like this, and they are basically just parasites. They need to be stamped out.

On balance however it's basically cancer.

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 7 hours, and 22 minutes from now.
GreenHornet
GreenHornet

09.12.2018 | 12:24 AM ET

@fishrat

Do the phrases "transformative content" or "fair use" not mean anything to you?  If the laws that the EU are demanding to put in place, all of which have the convenient backing of the HMS Music Industry (oh gee I wonder why *eye roll*), then everything even as insignificant as making a ******* meme will get scrubbed due to there being no protections for fair use in the EU.  And worse still, the people of all the European countries couldn't get to change it because they don't get to vote in the main lawmakers which are in the European Commission.  It would be a one size fits all policy that would be absolutely authoritarian and destroy the vision that the likes of the great Tim Berners-Lee had for the internet, and that is the internet is for everyone and there should be no barriers to prevent people from having access.  To me, these bills must be done away with as they only serve as tools for megalomaniac authoritarian despots to abuse later down the road.

* Edited at 09.12.2018, 12:25 AM ET *

"..."

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

09.12.2018 | 12:51 AM ET

Both do. However, both can be either positives or negatives. I do not like remixes, for example, but I do like memes and meme culture. I think this is actually a really important part of cultural development and satire. Both would be threatened under the new proposals.

Fair use is mostly just code for 'I can't create anything myself, so I'm going to steal as much of someone else's IP as I can feasibly get away, add some facile commentary and/or tweaks, and make money from contributing nothing'. Most of the time, anyway. I have no respect, nor sympathy for such people and they should rightly be destroyed.Fair use is useful in some capacities as I have previously stated, such as critiquing products and services. TI feel this is extremely valuable and should be protected, so I'm against these new laws overall on the basis of this alone.

What is particularly scary about it all is how broad the definitions are, and the sheer scale of the discretionary power they give to content creators and IP holders. It's ugly. And yes, I agree--as they are written, these laws are a bridge too far and should be scrapped.

* Edited at 09.12.2018, 12:53 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 2 days, 7 hours, and 22 minutes from now.
GreenHornet
GreenHornet

09.12.2018 | 8:24 AM ET

UPDATE

Well, it happened. The EU voted on the measures and the stupid boomers that compromise the EU not only passed Article 11 and 13, but they didn't even accept a single modification to the bill. So Europe has just implemented the most authoritarian and anti free market piece of legislation in the history of the West. So again I repeat, what the hell are we going to do? Because if any of us share a link, it is the platform that has to foot the ******* bill.

Edit:  There is still one more vote to officially pass it, but if it has made it this far I sincerely doubt it won't get passed.

* Edited at 09.12.2018, 10:31 AM ET *

"..."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,560
  • Post Score: 275

09.12.2018 | 1:49 PM ET

The door swings both ways. New regulations might make it harder for a website like Tapology to stay compliant. And new regulations could help make it easier to prevent other websites from stealing data or content from Tapology. So, we'll just have to wait and see how it all shakes out.

"I live, I die, I live again."

Cheese32165
Cheese32165
  • Predictions:  24,530  |  64.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,058
  • Post Score: 163

09.12.2018 | 5:26 PM ET

"Tom Breese Future Champ"

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

09.12.2018 | 6:25 PM ET

This whole thing is Foogazi lmfao 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 3 weeks, 1 day, 20 hours, and 37 minutes from now.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat

09.13.2018 | 5:16 PM ET

@Greg I'm actually surprised you're so nonchalant about this really. A large part of Tapology seems to me at least, to be content aggregation.Most of the MMA events  listed on this site are backlinked and these would be considered IP violations under the new legislation. Now, I would expect that only an extremely small percentage of these would ever actually be C& D'ed....but the fact remains that issuers now have the right to do that, if  the whim takes them. This isn't an option under the protocols of the current DMCA.

The actual nuts and bolts of it are pretty horrific, considering that link Taxes will mean that a host cannot include a single word from an article headline. Literally, not a single word. Tapology would also have to run bots of some kind to make sure it is in compliance.Everything would have to be scanned and mirrored against...well, I have no idea what--some kind of IP database? It's basically deep packet inspection. Just the act of running said bots will have serious implications for the performance of the site.

It's EU Law however, and the main MMA market and interest base is American. So there's that. I just don't see how this is good for Taology at all. I don't own the business however and you know more than I ever will. But what data is routinely stolen from Tapology? Analytics and raw data won't be affected by any of this in any way--it's basically media which Tapology to my knowledge doesn't produce. That's not the bag. Threads like the 'what song are you listening to right now' would have to go. Replays of ACB cards/highlights couldn't be posted, even the results of European hosted cards couldn't be backlinked...they would have to be entered in manually.

I dunno, Greg. The more I learn about this thing, the more I don't like it. Everyone is saying things like 'oh well at least it hits facebook and google the hardest' but that's patently untrue, it's the big guys like that who will be able to absorb and mitigate the problems this causes for the easiest.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

09.14.2018 | 12:26 AM ET

@masserbruce your the funniest ***********er ever. I have no clue *** they're talking about either.
GreenHornet
GreenHornet

09.14.2018 | 5:36 PM ET

@imperator

The worst part about it is that the laws were passed not through thorough debate over the main problems of the bill and making a case for or against with careful thought put into each vote, but by a simple raise of their ******* hands after getting the cliff notes version of the bill from their advisors. These people put as much thought and effort into it as a freshman level high school student trying to complete a book report and they have the power to shape the laws of an entire continent.  Also, as a side note, on the same day that they passed Articles 11 and 13, they passed a bill that will create a police task force to protect European forests.  Yes you read this right.  The European Union, at the expense of every European taxpayer, passed a bill to create tree police in every member state.  These people are just making ridiculous amounts of red tape bureaucracy to justify their jobs in Brussels and continue to earn salaries they are not deserving of.

* Edited at 09.14.2018, 5:36 PM ET *

"..."

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,560
  • Post Score: 275

09.17.2018 | 9:08 AM ET

@fish I don't interpret it the same way, at all. Not worried about this. There are statistics / facts / publicly known information, and then there's original content. We don't do anything with original content here.

"I live, I die, I live again."

mbach4307
mbach4307
  • Predictions:  934  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 137

09.17.2018 | 10:14 AM ET

I'm sure payments were made. 

"Where are my shoes?"

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

09.17.2018 | 3:04 PM ET

someday we will All wake up and see that its all just a dream within a dream wrapped inside the Universe's ego (plaything) and then we will know we are not dead yet (?)

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

09.17.2018 | 3:06 PM ET

no wait i meant to say 

someday we will all wake up and realise its All just a dream and ..... i had a got line but its gone ;(   fck!!!!

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

09.17.2018 | 3:08 PM ET

lol at those guys tho... sometimes a pile of crap is a pile of crap taht keeps getting bigger i guess. should have got into the waste management disposal biz, but thats a story for another drive

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

09.17.2018 | 3:10 PM ET

a pile o' crap is not a pile of silver bullion coins  :(... but i wanted that one ______!! .. i wanted that one right NOW!!! if i dont get it, im gonna have a fit!!

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

09.17.2018 | 4:58 PM ET

@mbach

When the main outside supporters of this bill getting pushed through are three of the biggest labels in the music industry in Sony Music, Warner Music Group, and Universal Media Group as well as two of the largest Television Broadcasting companies from Europe in Canal+ and Sky Media plc, you know that there is going to be some corruption involved in seeing this bill get passed. 

"..."

mbach4307
mbach4307

09.18.2018 | 9:57 AM ET

I didnt know all of those details. I just know when these slimy rats get together, thats what happens. 

* Edited at 09.18.2018, 9:58 AM ET *

"Where are my shoes?"

mbach4307
mbach4307

09.18.2018 | 9:58 AM ET

The EU is trash.

"Where are my shoes?"

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Exclusive: Alex Perez Details Why Steve Erceg Got UFC Title Shot Over Muhammad Mokaev
  • Bad Left Hook : Terence Crawford to face Israil Madrimov for WBA title at 154
  • MMA Junkie : Photos: 2024 PFL 3 ceremonial weigh-ins, fighter faceoffs
  • MMA Junkie : MMA promotion adds bonus inspired by Max Holloway's UFC 300 knockout, and it's pretty wild
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier: Michael Chandler 'not driving the sales' in Conor McGregor fight, unlikely to get PPV points
  • Middle Easy : Jake Paul Lays Down $10 Million MMA Challenge to Nate Diaz and Jorge Masvidal: ‘I Want Either One’
  • MMA Mania : Garcia Misses Weight In Latest Circus Stunt
  • MMAFighting.com : Devin Haney vs. Ryan Garcia weigh-in video live now
  • Bad Left Hook : Charlo invokes right to Madrimov title fight
  • Jits Magazine : Free Fight Friday: Renato Canuto vs Damon Morgan
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz sued by Rodney Petersen over 2023 New Orleans street fight
  • MMA Junkie : Nate Diaz sued by 'Not Logan Paul' Rodney Petersen over 2023 New Orleans street fight
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! Haney Vs Garcia Official Weigh Ins!
  • MMAFighting.com : Nate Diaz targeted in new Rodney Petersen lawsuit for New Orleans street brawl, Diaz rep responds
  • MMAFighting.com : Ryan Garcia badly misses weight for Devin Haney fight
  • MMAFighting.com : ‘3 pounds is nothing stop crying’: Ryan Garcia, pros react to Garcia missing weight for Devin Haney showdown
  • Bad Left Hook : Ryan Garcia misses weight, will still fight Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘Half-Mexican’ Costa Is Not A ‘Dirty’ Brazilian!
  • MMAFighting.com : Olympic champ David Taylor says ‘door is open’ for move to MMA; Daniel Cormier tells him ‘stick to wrestling’
  • UFC.com : Steve Erceg Hopes To Open Some Eyes