Topic: UFC 228

Will the Oblique Kick & Low Side Kick be the downfall if Woodley?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

ConcreteCracker
ConcreteCracker
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  64
  • Post Score: 30

09.05.2018 | 10:10 AM ET

Tyron Woodley V.S Darren Till is only 3 days away and I honestly saw this as an opportunity to spark up more thoughts on the low straight line kicks. Will Woodley be able to prepare for Till plus his low side kick? 

Woodley as a Wrestler in conventional wisdom says he would just drop low to shoot for a double leg, and in all fairness it's not wrong nor is it a bad option. Woodley is also a very nimble, explosive and strong fighter in general with great forward pressure Boxing which leads me to believe he just may show us more answers to this technique. 

I have a video about these kicks demonstrating possible counters, now I would like to say that I am open to all critiscms. Whether it's from the defensive technique itself or just me being completely fat, rediculous looking and out of shape. I am open to all of it. Honest opinions are highly appreciated. Just want to spark up some more thoughts on the matter. Thank

"Adorable little tough guy" - loudenSwain aka the sus gay bottom drunk guy

UFC 228
  • Saturday 09.08.2018 at 10:00 PM ET
  • U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: FX
  • Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
  • Ownership: WME-IMG
  • Venue: American Airlines Center
  • Enclosure: Octagon
  • TV Announcers: Jon Anik, Joe Rogan, Daniel Cormier
  • Ring Announcer: Bruce Buffer
  • Post-Fight Interviews: Joe Rogan
  • Ticket Revenue (live gate): $1,714,556
  • Attendance: 14,073
  • PPV Buys / Buyrate: 130,000 | TV Ratings: 560,000 avg. viewers (FX prelims, 683k peak)
  • MMA Bouts: 13
  • Promotion Links:
  • Event Links:
Bout   Info
Tyron Woodley   defeats   Darren Till   via Submission, D'arce Choke   4:19 Round 2 of 5, 9:19 Total Bout Page
Jéssica Andrade   defeats   Karolina Kowalkiewicz   via KO/TKO, Punch   1:58 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Zabit Magomedsharipov   defeats   Brandon Davis   via Submission, Kneebar   3:46 Round 2 of 3, 8:46 Total Bout Page
Jimmie Rivera   defeats   John Dodson   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Abdul Razak Alhassan   defeats   Niko Price   via KO/TKO, Punches   0:43 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Tatiana Suarez   defeats   Carla Esparza   via KO/TKO, Ground and Pound   4:33 Round 3 of 3, 14:33 Total Bout Page
Aljamain Sterling   defeats   Cody Stamann   via Submission, Kneebar   3:42 Round 2 of 3, 8:42 Total Bout Page
Geoff Neal   defeats   Frank Camacho   via KO/TKO, Head Kick   1:23 Round 2 of 3, 6:23 Total Bout Page
Darren Stewart   defeats   Charles Byrd   via KO/TKO, Right Elbow   2:17 Round 2 of 3, 7:17 Total Bout Page
Diego Sanchez   defeats   Craig White   via Decision, Unanimous   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jim Miller   defeats   Alex White   via Submission, Rear Naked Choke   1:29 Round 1 of 3 Bout Page
Irene Aldana   defeats   Lucie Pudilová   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page
Jarred Brooks   defeats   Roberto Sanchez   via Decision, Split   3 Rounds, 15:00 Total Bout Page

Responses

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

09.05.2018 | 9:11 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 900th

No not if he knows the basics of defending it like u just showed.
But i do think its only a matter of time b4 any kick to the knee is banned. To much potential for injury.
I suspect till trying to cut weight three weeks b4 a fight will b till's downfall. Chael sonnin reported he is already complaining he dosen't wanna train anymore and that he just wants a ****en cheeseburger. Thats worrysome.
Also those kicks work best when your opponent is moving in on u. Woodley hangs back.
Till will be coming forward. I assume straight into an overhand right which leaves him out cold.
But who knows thats the beauty of our sport.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

09.05.2018 | 10:07 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 415 Points   |   Tied for 1350th

I think you have a good point in theory @concretecracker. When I try to dissect this match-up, above all things, the most obvious difference I recognize is the contrast difference in energy output. I can't see a particular strike being the difference. 

Woodley is short, stocky, tight and explodes like a cannonball. Small frame with big muscles. His distance management is extremely good. If he's looking to set something up its either a TD or a big punch. You won't catch Woodley firing off 7, 8, 9 punch combos. If he lands flush, Till is without a doubt in trouble, especially considering the water depletion Till uses to make weight. I like the way he uses his opponents aggression against them at times. Tyrons biggest weakness is the likely scenario of emptying his gas tank with several prolonged exchanges. Along with the grappling he will most likely use. It takes time to reload a cannonball. Is Till a threat from bottom, meh not really. Does that mean Tyron will be able to rest after a TD? Nope. 

Till has a massive frame which he uses extremely well. Uses precision & timing rather than speed & power. Incredible understanding of range. Even more impressive is his stand-up is rather effortless. No real unnecessary movements & has shown Championship cardio. The weight-cut is the main issue, depleting himself enough to even earn this opportunity. Biggest weakness imo is that he's rather picky in his shot-selection. Along with Woodley for that matter. But, as I mentioned earlier Tills stand-up doesn't take a whole lot of effort. Whereas, Tyron is either using substantial energy to move around, wrestle or land something significant. 

I see this fight playing out a whole lot like Conor McGregor vs Chad Mendes. I expect Till to make weight & look terrible doing it. Come out guns blazing trying to take control & land early. Woodley lands some TD's with some GNP at first, even some solid punches on the feet. But as the fight plays out, Woodley will be drained from doing Woodley things. Meanwhile, Till is still in his face landing crisp shots until eventually the ref calls a stop to the fight via KO/TKO late.

This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 6 months, 1 week, 6 days, 20 hours, and 1 minute from now.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

09.05.2018 | 10:23 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 1801st

I pretty much agree with everything Bruce. I also just don't see how Til's sheer size won't be a problem for Tyrone. At the face off, Woodley looked like he could have fit in his pocket--and I saw intimidation in his eyes. Darren would be big even at MW really. Tyrone's Wrestling is top notch, but I don't see him getting Til to the floor off a toss of even a single. It will need to be a well timed double. You'd have to think Woodley will get some top time, I guess it depends when that comes, the earlier the better for woodley.

I think Til will come out like a bat out of hell in the opening moments. He'll be very aggressive early, and will work to get tyrone against the cage ASAP.It will be very difficult for Tyrone to escape the clinch...Til just has so, so much more leverage.I can see Til leaning on him and wearing him out, landing some nasty inside work and getting a TKO in the 3rd round.

It just feels like time for a changing of the guard.
This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 1 week, 6 hours, and 46 minutes from now.
WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

09.05.2018 | 10:32 PM ET

Predictions: 7 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 400 Points   |   Tied for 1433rd

* Edited at 09.06.2018, 1:45 AM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

09.06.2018 | 8:34 PM ET

Predictions: 8 of 13 Winners, 2 Perfect, 490 Points   |   Tied for 900th

Both u guys got till eh! 
I think tills aggresion works against him.
And the weight cut leaves him unable to absorb woodley's power.
Dont think we see very much grappling in this one.

One thing is for sure i cant ****en wait to find out.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

09.06.2018 | 9:34 PM ET

Predictions: 4 of 12 Winners, 2 Perfect, 290 Points   |   Tied for 1801st

@Free don't get me wrong, Tyrone is ******* good value as an underdog in this. If he wins I will not be even slightly surprised. I just see something in Til and my gut tells me he gets it done.

The weight cut is definitely an issue, but I'll be surprised if Woodley gets anywhere near him with that right hand. Firstly, Tyrone likes to explode off the fence and he's not going to want to be anywhere near that in this fight, because that's where til is the most dangerous. He will avoid clinching like the plague. He's going to have to engage in the center which means staying in striking range. Secondly Darren is very, very good at timing and measuring his opponent. He's a lot like Mcgregor in this regard, and he knows how to keep people at his optimal space. A lot of it will depend on how good Til is off his back. Surprisingly Woodley doesn't have the greatest GNP and wastes a lot of energy throwing inaccurate strikes. He was unable to finish Thompson from the top despite landing a nasty hellbow and was getting slipped a lot.

* Edited at 09.06.2018, 9:37 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 1 week, 6 hours, and 46 minutes from now.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : ‘Not the smartest in the ring fighter’: Robert Garcia not convinced Rolando Romero will beat Isaac Cruz
  • UFC.com : Vicente Luque: Expect Fireworks
  • Middle Easy : Georges St-Pierre Believes He ‘Would Have Beat’ Khabib in Rumored Superfight, Reveals His MMA GOATs
  • UFC.com : Erin Blanchfield Is Having A Full-Circle Moment
  • MMA Junkie : ONE 168 headlined by Stamp Fairtex vs. Jing Nan Xiong dual champion bout
  • UFC.com : Manon Fiorot Has Gold On Her Mind
  • Middle Easy : Brendan Schaub Calls Conor McGregor The ‘Most Underpaid Athlete’ of All Time: ‘No One Wants to Hear This’
  • MMA Mania : Adesanya ‘Ready To Go’ For DDP Fight At UFC 305
  • MMAFighting.com : Alexander Shabliy ‘not fully sure’ Usman Nurmagomedov fight happening, still awaiting contract and terms from PFL
  • MMA Junkie : Tim Welch: Merab Dvalishvili never fought someone like Sean O'Malley, 'who can put your lights out, one punch'
  • Bad Left Hook : Juan Francisco Estrada vs Bam Rodriguez official for June 29
  • Middle Easy : Dana White Makes Promise to His Children That Infamous Wife-Slapping Incident ‘Will Never Happen Again’
  • MMA Junkie : Georges St-Pierre reveals what his strategy would have been vs. Khabib Nurmagomedov
  • MMA Mania : ‘I Thought I Had Cancer’
  • MMA Junkie : Maycee Barber fires back at Erin Blanchfield for calling her pathetic: 'Erin fought my leftovers'
  • MMA Junkie : Conor McGregor opens up about fighting future: 'It's to the grave'
  • Bad Left Hook : Walters turns back clock, beats Adorno in ProBox main event
  • Bad Left Hook : Nicholas Walters turns back clock, beats Joseph Adorno in ProBox main event
  • Middle Easy : Georges St-Pierre Reveals Why He Retired: ‘I Thought Maybe I Had Cancer’
  • MMA Mania : White Vows Wife Slap ‘Will Never Happen Again’