Topic: Training & Technique

Roundhouse Kicks to the Legs are more risky then rewarding. Are we kicking the wrong way?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

ConcreteCracker
ConcreteCracker
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  64
  • Post Score: 30

07.23.2018 | 9:49 AM ET

In all fairness I've found this to honestly be a problem for myself in general. I've been seeing Roundhouse Kicks from fighters to the thigh or aimed behind the knee to be extremely risky and not as rewarding.

Roundhouse kicks thigh high and higher are likely to be grabbed and or checked. It's ofcorse recommended you use your hands to set up your kicks to be less predictable in sparring. Also condition your shins which I have as a kid, drinking lots of milk and hitting my tibula with a hammer. But the more I did that the more I questioned. Is this honestly necessary? 

Untrained vs trained or seasoned legs yes it may take very few roundhouses to a leg open for roundhouse kicks to end the fight. However the roundhouse leg kicks against a trained fighter isn't going to show much effect if landed clean. Not till you've accumulated a high amount. A good example 

Jose Also VS Urijah Faber

Ernesto Hoost is one Kickboxer I modeled my low roundhouse kicks after. As one of the most dangerous low kickers ever, with all due respect even he has 2 low kick TKO victories. 

Not saying he's a bad low kicker at all but are roundhouse kicks to the legs your best option for leg kicks? In my opinion, the first kicks anyone should ever throw to the legs are straight line kicks AKA the low side kick and oblique kick. 

They make, keep or kill distance 
They can very rarely ever be grabbed 
Getting checked from utilizing them doesn't effect you

To this day both these kicks do not have a complete answer on how to counter them. Theoretically if we could parry them like a teep then a roundhouse kick to the calf would be most devistating but it's too low to parry.

Most people say shuffle or throw the aimed leg back but that does nothing to counter them, you're too far to capitalize and all you managed to do was just avoid it. That means the opponent may be comfortable with throwing it again.

These attacks need to be more utilized until answers are found for them

they compared to low roundhouses have a better reward with very little risk. 

"Adorable little tough guy" - loudenSwain aka the sus gay bottom drunk guy

Responses

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

07.23.2018 | 9:11 PM ET

I'm of the opinion that roundhouse kicks will gradually disappear from MMA. It's very hard to land one that will do serious damage and the risk of getting picked or shot on is huge. It's a risk that doesn't pay off very often. Even super elite strikers like Thompson rarely make them stick. And they are the sort of thing that have to be executed properly; there's a risk of twisting the ankle of the prop leg or causing other ligament damage, especially if they don't land and have a loot of oomph to them. I think their main use to allow one to dictate the striking range, except not because...well, you'd have to be in optimal range to throw one, so....yeah...and if you want space, there's nothing wrong with good ol' teep. They're a body investment, too.

Contrast this to an elliptical strike or just any punch in general; the risk is you get countered and that's about it.

Knee stomps and oblique kicks are nasty and very effective, but I've always been against them on the basis that it's joint manipulation. I'm actually really suprised that we don't see them in clinch positions against the cage, because in that predicament they would be absolutely devastating given that the guy on the receiving end can't move backwards at all. Much more damaging than  a foot stomp for example.

* Edited at 07.23.2018, 9:12 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 2 weeks, 3 days, 11 hours, and 24 minutes from now.
WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

07.24.2018 | 8:41 AM ET

thanks for the great insights theres an excellent stand up fighter Mohammad Jaraya he mixes up the front kicks ( Machida / obliques) with the regular ones very well its all about that toe stab ?

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

07.24.2018 | 8:43 AM ET

i prefer to spit / claw at eyes and go for a hard groin strike myself . as soon as it hits the ground work to full mount and lock in the thumbs into the back of the eye sockets or if you can get the back sink in that fish hook and reel hard, any of these techniques should allow refferee Steve Mazzagatti to call the bout

* Edited at 07.24.2018, 8:46 AM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,816  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,559
  • Post Score: 275

07.24.2018 | 12:50 PM ET

@ConcreteCracker you don't need to create a new thread to report that you think you accidentally reported your own post. I've taken your new thread down.  If you have comments about this thread, put them in this thread.

Thanks.

"I live, I die, I live again."

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer

07.24.2018 | 5:42 PM ET

sorry for writing that stupid comment i wanted delete but miased the deadline i forgot to take medication

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

07.24.2018 | 11:07 PM ET

I also think side/oblique kicks to the knee are way to damaging.
As far as round house low kicks i've always seen them as similar to body punchs in boxing.
All about the accumulative value. And to weakdn your opponents mobility.
ConcreteCracker
ConcreteCracker

07.25.2018 | 6:25 AM ET

@Gregory

Sorry about that.

* Edited at 07.25.2018, 6:26 AM ET *

ConcreteCracker
ConcreteCracker

07.25.2018 | 7:14 AM ET

@freemoneyforall

I definitely agree with you there. Leg kicks and body punches to me have similarities.

Accumulative strikes or for the most part damage is in my opinion important. 

As a general statement of my opinion 
I can't find a good reason anymore to strike an opponents leg via roundhouse kick with my shin. 

It has ended fights. But there are better alternatives for fighters and still I have only witness these techniques be utilized by a very small minority. Is this because of ignorance due to conventional wisdom? 

Or is it because of trainers/teachers with the belief that they're too dangerous and refuse to teach them? 

In my opinion the more dangerous the technique is the more it should be utilized. That is the idea, strike to finish hence why people want to condition their shins to have stronger roundhouse shin kicks. However, do not confuse too dangerous for miss use. Under legal rule settings is acceptable, self defense is acceptable. Against a sparring partner that can't defend it is not acceptable. That's the only time I see they would not serve anyone any use. 

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : Jiri Prochazka wants Alex Pereira rematch as soon as possible, knows eating punches ‘will not work’
  • MMA Mania : ‘Inherently Bad’ And ‘Unbelievably Embarrassing’
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘He’s trying to be like Prince Naseem’: Callum Smith on Ben Whittaker’s ‘disrespectful’ antics
  • MMA Junkie : Daniel Cormier questions Herb Dean's handling of Alex Pereira's low blow before UFC 300 KO of Jamahal Hill
  • UFC.com : Updates To UFC 301: Pantoja vs Erceg
  • Bad Left Hook : Nate Diaz: Masvidal rematch will be ‘way tougher’ than Jake Paul fight
  • MMA Mania : Jiri Wants Pereira Rematch ‘As Soon As Possible’
  • MMA Junkie : Jorge Masvidal assures he's making UFC return: 'I'm definitely coming back'
  • MMAFighting.com : Bo Nickal’s game plan for Khamzat Chimaev: ‘Take him down, rag-doll him, throw him around’
  • MMA Junkie : UFC Hall of Famer Mark Coleman reflects on house fire, campaigns for women's BMF title
  • MMAFighting.com : 18-year-old Adrian Lee, younger brother of Angela and Christian Lee, set for debut at ONE 167 in June
  • Bad Left Hook : PREDICTIONS: Is Ryan Garcia ready for Devin Haney?
  • MMAFighting.com : Michael Chandler: Everyone has to buy UFC 303 because it may be Conor McGregor’s last fight
  • MMA Junkie : UFC veterans in MMA and karate action April 19-21
  • MMA Mania : Video: ‘Karen’ Picks Fight With UFC Women’s Flyweight
  • MMA Junkie : Video: UFC 300 behind-the-scenes video blog reveals production side of mega-event
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Sam Alvey reflects on UFC start, says fighters get paid ‘way more than we deserve’
  • MMA Mania : Till Tosses $2 Mil Offer To Fight ‘Platinum’
  • Jits Magazine : ADXC 4: Espen Mathiesen And Leon Larman Lead The Jiu-Jitsu Main Event In Paris
  • Jits Magazine : Full Lineup Announced For High Rollerz 420 Show 2024