Topic: UFC Discussion

Anthony Smith is changing the guard: 1 legend at a time

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

alexistavrou
alexistavrou
  • Predictions:  607  |  58.0%
  • Forum Posts:  1
  • Post Score: -100

07.23.2018 | 4:08 AM ET

Anthony Smith is a cerebral fighter that truly embdies that old generation of "true fighters" bt he also epitiizes the athleticism of the modern warrior. I have been following him for several years and have been consistently impressed by his overall abilities as a fighter. I think he has been and is the real deal.

As a middleweight Anthony Smith was a wrecking machine. In spite of that he made the wise decision to go up a class and fight closer to his natural weight. He has proven to be a precision killing machine so far and though I do not believe he is ready to fight for a title in the immediate future, I believe he will prove his mettle by the end of 2019. 

Like all fighters on the rise Anthony Smith will be truly tested when he fights a top 3 opponent, where the levels change drastically. He will likely rip Teixera, and Corey Anderson to pieces, and his precision striking and counter strikes wll put Volkan down within 1 round so...maybe Jimmy and definitely Gus and DC are his only true challenges remaining. Based on his skills, his mind set, his intelligence and his ferocity I believe that Anthony Smith will soon be a contender for the Light Heavyweight Belt.

* Edited at 07.23.2018, 4:07 AM ET *

"I'd rather be ashes than dust"

Responses

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

07.23.2018 | 4:23 AM ET

In short, lol.

Anthony Smith is a good banger, but he's amounted a win streak composed largely of  guys who are over the Hill, including Rua, Evans, and Lombard. He has thirteen losses, and is thirty years old. The only truly emerging talent he has faced, who is Thiago Santos, absolutely demolished him.

I've picked him to win in his last two, but I honestly don't think he has anything for guys like Oezdemir. Gustavson, or really anyone with decent striking defense and conditioning. He's basically a two-round fighter who has always struggled with energy management, and if he can't impose his forward-pressure attack he gets worked, because he simply doesn't have a plan B.

I very much doubt he beats Anderson or Manuwa. Glover is clearly done as we all saw today so yes, he might win that by KO, but he very well may not because Anderson has strong wrestling, which is something Smith does not. So that would likely be a slugfest and whoever landed first would win. 50/50 fight. Or Texiera just subs him.

The long and short of it is, Smith's run at the title will end with anyone who isn't totally shopworn, can slip a punch, and can return fire. Or just not get sparked and steal two rounds before going to town on him in the third.

* Edited at 07.23.2018, 4:24 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 9 years, 6 days, 13 hours, and 22 minutes from now.
Thesnake101
Thesnake101
  • Predictions:  14,749  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,003
  • Post Score: 207

07.23.2018 | 5:55 AM ET

I still find it funny that people were giving Shogun a chance, Smith is a horrible matchup for current Shogun; a guy who won't wilt, is big and hits hard.

I actually want to see him fight Latifi next, but that fight might be better for Corey given that Ilir is one of the few ranked guys he hasn't fought yet. Smith vs Blachowicz would be good also.
ShakeANDBake720
ShakeANDBake720
  • Predictions:  10,018  |  65.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,838
  • Post Score: 235

07.23.2018 | 3:07 PM ET

Of course people were giving Shogun a chance he has KO power and Smith has no chin. He's been KO'd like 7 times. Was losing to both Lombard and Sanchez before making a 3rd round comeback he's not a lock against anyone.

"Duck, I want to sleep with my wife tonight,"

Thesnake101
Thesnake101
  • Predictions:  14,749  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  1,003
  • Post Score: 207

07.24.2018 | 3:38 PM ET

Smith has only been ko'd once, against Amagov in SF years ago. The rest of his losses via strikes where TKOs, not to mention that Shogun has only scored finishes over Te Huna and Villante in the past 5 years or so. Smith is nothing special, I'll give you that, but I just didn't think Shogun was ever going to be in that fight unless he went with a grappling approach like he did against Little Nog in their rematch, that fight showcased how far gone Shogun's chin is. Got wobbled in most of the exchanges.
Kuma
Kuma
  • Predictions:  39,985  |  67.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,845
  • Post Score: 210

07.24.2018 | 4:49 PM ET

"He will likely rip Teixera, and Corey Anderson to pieces, and his precision striking and counter strikes wll put Volkan down within 1 round so...maybe Jimmy and definitely Gus and DC are his only true challenges remaining."

I'm not even gonna bother =/
mbach4307
mbach4307
  • Predictions:  934  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 137

07.26.2018 | 5:41 PM ET

It's nice to have new contenders at LHW. Jones DC Gus and Rumble really did separate themselves from everyone else in the world at LHW.

"Where are my shoes?"

TappinDatazz
TappinDatazz
  • Predictions:  99  |  49.5%
  • Forum Posts:  12
  • Post Score: 75

07.26.2018 | 9:38 PM ET

I agree, I think Anthony Smith is coming into his own right now. Some may right him off because he lost 13 times but almost all his wins are by finishes, KO/TKO's. And its not like he's so old, he's still pretty young and is a veteran in the game. Look at Robbie Lawler, many (hardcore) fans wrote him off. He had a solid fan base and was known to always put on fun fights but some thought he was past his prime. However, he persevered and went on to become welterweight champion in the UFC. I feel Anthony Smith can definitely make some noise at light heavyweight and has many intriguing and exciting fights awaiting him. I also believe he can surprise people and become champion. Just because he lost to some people of lesser caliber doesn't mean he isn't improving his game. He has the height and the size that's just right for 205 weight class and his skill set is one that can give guys trouble.  
WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

07.27.2018 | 5:47 PM ET

Anthony is deserving of hia place in the scrap pack - Kyle

* Edited at 07.27.2018, 5:47 PM ET *

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Bad Left Hook : Bam Rodriguez vacates IBF flyweight title, Ayala vs Apolinario ordered
  • Middle Easy : Georges St-Pierre Opens Up About Dana White Stopping Him From Boxing Oscar De La Hoya
  • MMAFighting.com : Missed Fists: Referee slaps the taste out of fighter’s mouth to halt 2-versus-1 bout
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 54 video: Erin Blanchfield, Manon Fiorot make weight for main event
  • MMA Mania : LIVE! UFC Atlantic City Weigh Ins!
  • MMAFighting.com : Watch UFC Atlantic City weigh-in video live now
  • MMAFighting.com : Georges St-Pierre believes Jon Jones is current GOAT: ‘People have no idea how tough he is’
  • MMA Junkie : Bubba Jenkins over once-heated rivalry with Chris Wade following trilogy cancellation: 'I don't even say that name'
  • MMA Mania : GSP Agrees: Hard To Argue Against ‘Bones’ As GOAT
  • MMA Junkie : UFC on ESPN 54 official weigh-in results, live video stream (9 a.m. ET)
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Sean Strickland claims ‘Canada threatened to pull me’ from UFC 297, teases move to boxing
  • MMA Mania : Mac: UFC ‘Prestige’ Makes Up For Lower Pay
  • MMAFighting.com : UFC Atlantic City weigh-in video
  • MMA Junkie : Scale snafus: UFC official weigh-in misses in 2024
  • MMA Junkie : Every UFC event in history with three or more weigh-in misses
  • UFC.com : Weigh-In Results | UFC Atlantic City
  • Bad Left Hook : Valdez vs Wilson: Live updates and results, 6:10 pm ET
  • The Athletic : UFC featherweight champion Ilia Topuria says title fight at Santiago Bernabéu Stadium ‘very, very, very possible’
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania! ‘Regretful’ Biter Breaks Silence
  • MMA Mania : An Elite Contender With Only One Combo