Topic: Josh Barnett

Josh Barnett Has Been Released by the UFC

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

06.20.2018 | 8:20 PM ET

After a five-year stint with the UFC, veteran heavyweight Josh Barnett has been released from his contract.

Two people with knowledge of the situation, including a UFC official, informed MMAjunkie of Barnett’s release. They asked to remain anonymous because the news had not yet been made public.

Barnett’s release from his contract does not carry any stipulations and is considered a full separation from the UFC. The move comes three months after the 40-year-old fighter was exonerated by the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency for a failed drug test, receiving only a public warning from the UFC’s anti-doping partner.

t’s unclear exactly what led to Barnett’s release rather than a return to the octagon, where he most recently defeated ex-champ Andrei Arlovski at UFC Fight Night 93 in September 2016. Calls to the fighter and his management weren’t immediately returned.

Barnett expressed dismay with the results management process for his failed drug test. While he still wanted to compete, he said he didn’t trust USADA.

An out-of-competition test of Barnett revealed the presence of ostarine, a selective androgen receptor modulator (SARM) that mimics anabolic agents and is banned year-round. Although USADA found he was the victim of a contaminated supplement, he faced a four-year suspension before ultimately going to arbitration with USADA.

An independent arbitrator took note of Barnett’s meticulous record keeping of supplements and found he was not guilty of knowingly taking ostarine. Barnett later sued the supplement maker.

Source

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well...good news for RIZIN then.

Thoughts?

"..."

"The Warmaster" Josh Barnett

Photo Source:  

Fighter Details

• Given Name: Joshua Lawrence Barnett
  • Pro MMA Record: 35-8-0 (Win-Loss-Draw)
  • Nickname: The Warmaster
  • Current Streak: 1 Win
  • Last Fight: September 03, 2016 in UFC
  • Weight Class: Heavyweight | Last Weigh-In: 256.0 lbs
  • Affiliation: UWF USA
  • Height: 6'3" (191cm) | Reach: 78.0" (198cm)
  • Career Disclosed Earnings: $1,940,000 USD
  • Born: Seattle, Washington, United States
  • Fighting out of: Seattle, Washington
  • Fighter Links:
  • Personal Links:

Responses

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

06.20.2018 | 8:21 PM ET

He'll probably head back to Japan, but I'd like to see him head to Bellator. 

* Edited at 06.20.2018, 8:21 PM ET *

mbach4307
mbach4307
  • Predictions:  934  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 137

06.20.2018 | 8:44 PM ET

@analias

Are bellator and Rizin allowing guys to split time? I agree there are better match-ups in Bellator for him, but most likely he's going to his 2nd home. He already has a huge following there, plus he can do his pro wrestling deal there too.

Also, if it were any other fighter in this position, I would be encouraging a lawsuit against the UFC or USADA. At Josh's age, he doesn't have many fights left and he wasn't able to compete for a long time. But with Josh, he doesn't get the benefit of the doubt. He has been a habitual line-stepper since his fight with Randy. Plus the Fedor thing.

"Where are my shoes?"

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

06.20.2018 | 9:07 PM ET

And just like that the HW division gets that much weaker...all for a mistake from Usada...ugh..

Scrap that program already.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 6 days, 20 hours, and 42 minutes from now.
jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

06.20.2018 | 9:32 PM ET

I would be more inclined to give Barnett the benefit of the doubt if he hadn't already failed multiple drug tests.  I would not be at all surprised if Barnett requested the release given his distaste for the stringent testing regime of USADA.  

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

mikeyg
mikeyg

06.20.2018 | 9:52 PM ET

You don't have to give him any benefit of the doubt, USADA literally said "whoops, our bad."

This isn't the first time they've messed up someone's career like this. Once you've been tarnished as a cheater, innocent or not, people never read the retraction statement from USADA. You're just labeled a cheater even if you're a first time offender found innocent.

* Edited at 06.20.2018, 10:04 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 6 days, 20 hours, and 42 minutes from now.
jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

06.20.2018 | 9:55 PM ET

I guess what I'm saying then is that I don't feel sorry for the guy.  I am sorry to see him leave the UFC, but whatever.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

06.20.2018 | 10:12 PM ET

@mikeyg

Not only that, USADA ain't exactly clean themselves.  They were complicit in aiding American Olympic Athletes in the 1988 Olympics in Seoul cheat the system and get away with using steroids.

* Edited at 06.20.2018, 10:30 PM ET *

"..."

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

06.20.2018 | 11:52 PM ET

@hornet. No way....
Bigj383
Bigj383
  • Predictions:  8,546  |  63.8%
  • Forum Posts:  5,417
  • Post Score: 187

06.21.2018 | 12:06 AM ET

What is your source on that GreenHornet? Especially considering USADA wasn't founded until 2000. 

"It does not make sense that humans deliberately malfunction. - Upgrade"

GreenHornet
GreenHornet

06.21.2018 | 1:17 AM ET

@bigj

I made a slight error.  It was not exactly USADA, it was its predecessor the USOC Drug Control Board. That aside, the evidence for this comes from the documentary Bigger Stronger Faster, in which the ex head of the USOC Drug Control Board Wade Exum openly stated that athletes as high profile as Carl Lewis were failing tests for banned substances, in his case Ephedrine, that should have disqualified him from being able to participate from the US Track and Field Olympic Team in '88. Plus, it was revealed in the documentary by ex Canadian sprinter Ben Johnson (the man who lost his gold medal for testing positive for steroids) that six American athletes failed their tests in Seoul and their results were withheld from the public by the IOC.  Furthermore, considering the scandal that would later be revealed under USADA's watch in its first year with Marion Jones getting busted for using anabolic steroids during the 2000 Sydney games, one has to question how USADA could drop the ball so badly.  And I for one think that, based on the shady past of its predecessor and the failures of USADA when it comes to the 2000 Summer Olympics, there is no reason not to be at least a bit skeptical of USADA's legitimacy.

* Edited at 06.21.2018, 1:29 AM ET *

"..."

Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

06.21.2018 | 11:27 AM ET

did not trust USADA. ******* please Josh. We all know you are absolutely massive PED abuser. I like Josh and always had, but this is absolute ******** he trying to sell here. Good for him on finding away around the failed drug test, but come on now, don't try and sell us on some ********. Dude been caught several times. Even the way he got out of it stinks to all hell. He pretty much had very detail account of what he "took" aka what he was going to blame his failed test on. He a smart dude and props to him, but this idea USADA ****** up is laughable.

* Edited at 06.21.2018, 11:26 AM ET *

"here I come to save the day"

Franklin880088
Franklin880088

06.21.2018 | 11:31 AM ET

ive been saying this from day one, it the same **** jones did, except Jones payed a team of people to do this for him, while Josh was smart enough to do it on his own. Romero also did the same ****. Josh and Romero took PEDs but had a supplement they new contained PEDs, so that they could blame it on it. Jon jones is a moron, so instead he just took PEDs, had nothing to blame it on and instead hired a team of guys to find something to get him out of it aka **** pills. Only difference between them and Jon, is they were smart enough to think in advance while Jon Jones did not and is scrambling now to find something to blame the failed test on

mikeyg
mikeyg

06.21.2018 | 12:05 PM ET

Uhhh, USADA literally said Josh dindu nuffin wrong, just like a lot of guys they've busted that turned out to be innocent in their particular case with USADA.
Franklin880088
Franklin880088

06.21.2018 | 12:17 PM ET

lol that means absolute jack ****. He just blamed it on a tainted supplement, people be mad gullible.   

by the way Josh been caught what 3 times for PEDs, but where all going to pretend USADA ****** up here?

also the fact they gave him a public warning tells you they don't believe his ******** either, but because they legally have to, they can't punish him. Since he did prove his supplement was tainted.  Honestly don't see how people don't see through these scams. They find a substance that they know is tainted, they take it well using PEDs, they then blame said supplement if they get caught.  Any smart roider Barnnett/Romero are doing this.

* Edited at 06.21.2018, 12:20 PM ET *

101Sebster101
101Sebster101
  • Predictions:  677  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  9
  • Post Score: 133

06.21.2018 | 12:24 PM ET

Long time coming

"UK MMA = Heart of the sport!"

OldNick
OldNick
  • Predictions:  34,866  |  68.2%
  • Forum Posts:  2,408
  • Post Score: 322

06.21.2018 | 12:59 PM ET

Pretend that USADA ****** up? Sorry, but USADA has shown that if you got enough money than you should just keep using PEDs and if you got even more money than you might even get an exemption from it.

**** the USADA.

"I am ****y in prediction, confident in preparation, but I am always humble in victory or defeat.”

freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

06.21.2018 | 1:32 PM ET

I also remeber barnett being caught b4. Acording to nate diaz everyone in the ufc is using peds. Seriously unfair for anyone in the ufc who is not using peds.
Franklin880088
Franklin880088

06.21.2018 | 1:34 PM ET

to be fair Nate has a jaded perspective since both his trianing partners and close friends Jake Shields\Melendes where juiced to the gills most of there careers

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

06.21.2018 | 4:40 PM ET

I suspect most fighters in the UFC are using PED's of some description, that USADA is to be bought, and they get who they either want to get or who they are told to get.

Other than Jones, who is a PR nightmare and more trouble than he is worth to the company, you just don't see any of the big draws getting stuck with violations. It's always the has-beens and and low-drawing fighters. Even Anderson Silva wasn't busted until after the leg break and it was clear that the cinderella story of his recapturing the belt wasn't going to happen. If the rate at which low drawing and big-drawing fighters popped was truly random, things like that just wouldn't happen. It is statistically miraculous and should be suspicious AF to everybody.

That and UFC is a donor to USADA and was actively pushing for a relationship with them prior to that becoming an actuality. I  have no doubt that USADA plays ball for the kickback they get from being the official body of oversight, and how they do this might not even be illegal, technically...you can do a lot of **** with the wiggle-room afforded by the combination time and administrative autonomy.

* Edited at 06.21.2018, 4:47 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 5 days, 21 hours, and 41 minutes from now.
MassaBruce
MassaBruce

06.21.2018 | 4:43 PM ET

Maybe that's because the best fighters are clean and doing what they're supposed to whereas the lower guys need an advantage. The has-beens can't stand being a has-been..so they take something to help. Common-sense to me. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 5 days, 10 hours, and 56 minutes from now.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: And New Super Lightweight Champion?
  • MMA Mania : Nurmagomedov Injured, Bellator Paris Title Fight Paused
  • MMA Mania : Doumbe Inks PFL Extension, Returns At Bellator Paris
  • MMA Junkie : Ben Rothwell hopes Mark Hunt signing with BKFC materializes, wants rematch that 'brings eyes'
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Banks Big Money After Placing a $2 Million Bet on Himself to Defeat Devin Haney
  • MMA Junkie : Murad Ramazanov lauds Nurmagomedov training discipline for fast start in PFL debut
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is going to make him a way bigger superstar’: Trainer talks Garcia’s big win over Haney
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘This is going to make him a way bigger superstar’: Trainer talks Ryan Garcia’s big win over Devin Haney
  • MMA Mania : ‘This Could Be A Career Death Sentence’
  • MMAFighting.com : DC calls for McGregor vs. Chandler to be 165-pound ‘super lightweight’ title fight
  • MMA Mania : ‘Be Prepared To Bleed, Rainbow!’
  • Bad Left Hook : Pitbull Cruz, Andy Ruiz Jr, Santa Cruz vs Mares 3 on Crawford undercard
  • Middle Easy : Jamahal Hill Says He ‘Took No Damage’ Against Alex Pereira, Plans To Take Out ‘Frustrations’ Against Khalil Rountree Jr
  • MMA Junkie : Savannah Marshall's MMA debut opponent revealed as full 2024 PFL Europe 2 lineup announced
  • Middle Easy : Chael Sonnen Shuts Down Chances Of Conor McGregor and Michael Chandler Fighting For Proposed 165-Pound Title
  • MMAFighting.com : BKFC owners at Triller acquired by Hong Kong-based finance company in $4 billion merger
  • MMA Junkie : The Ryan Garcia show is ready to take off after upset of Devin Haney | Opinion
  • MMA Mania : Aspinall ‘Would Be In Trouble’ Against Someone Like Velasquez
  • MMA Junkie : John Kavanagh: Conor McGregor's 'technique is as sharp as ever' ahead of UFC 303
  • MMA Mania : Watch BROADENED HORIZIN — Feat. Satoshi, Archuleta, Watanabe