Tapology Forums

Do you consider it dirty

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

buffalo ben
buffalo ben
  • Predictions:  3,705  |  58.2%
  • Forum Posts:  6,348
  • Post Score: 157

10.17.2011 | 9:07 AM ET

when a fighter tries to cut his opponent, or targets a cut in order get a doctor stoppage? Or do you consider it one of many legitimate methods to win in mma?

"You don't have to be perfect, just dont be fraudulant"

Responses

jodybanman
jodybanman
  • Predictions:  3,332  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  1,707
  • Post Score: 237

10.17.2011 | 9:26 AM ET

It is legitimate, but not as easy as it seems.  I think a lot of fighters try to do it, but it's not really that easy, or Kenny Florian would do it every fight.  In any case, it's pretty tough to get a doctor stoppage because of a cut these days.  I've seen some bloody, bloody fights.

"I don't want to have to do this living. I just walk around. I want to be swept off my feet, you know? I want my children to have magical powers. I am prepared for amazing things to happen. I can handle it."

Sonnen for Prez
Sonnen for Prez
  • Predictions:  0  |  0.0%
  • Forum Posts:  36
  • Post Score: -347

10.17.2011 | 9:28 AM ET

It sucks to see a doctor stoppage, but you can't blame a guy for going for a cut.

"Silva Sucks"

thiagosilva9794
thiagosilva9794
  • Predictions:  5,113  |  60.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,315
  • Post Score: 142

10.17.2011 | 9:31 AM ET

I dont think its dirty.. Whatever it takes to win!

"I really feel like I'm the most dangerous guy out there" BJ Penn........... UFC on Fox 2 event winner :)

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

10.17.2011 | 10:15 AM ET

As long as it's within the rules, I don't see it as dirty.
buffalo ben
buffalo ben

10.17.2011 | 10:17 AM ET

Interesting. I wonder if there are some fighters who dislike it. Nick Diaz maybe.

Gregory
Gregory
  • Predictions:  6,817  |  63.3%
  • Forum Posts:  18,561
  • Post Score: 275

10.17.2011 | 10:20 AM ET

Maybe ruthless is a better word than dirty.

"I live, I die, I live again."

poir420
poir420
  • Predictions:  143,346  |  63.0%
  • Forum Posts:  18,232
  • Post Score: 245

10.17.2011 | 10:23 AM ET

I don't see it as dirty, it's part of fighting if you don't want the fight to get stopped because of a cut then don't get hit so much =)

"“All of a sudden, he was shooting for a takedown, and I’m like, ‘Oh, you’re a wrestler now? Remember, I’m the black belt in jiu-jitsu. And you’re shooting on me now? This is a wrap." - Nate Diaz"

Crumx7
Crumx7
  • Predictions:  1,598  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,110
  • Post Score: 181

10.17.2011 | 10:24 AM ET

It's understandable.  "defend yourself at all times".  

"If you think about it, life is your one big chance" Follow @CRUMxMMA on Twitter

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

10.17.2011 | 10:26 AM ET

I was more curious at to whether fans consider this a less respectable method for victory. If perhapse the interuption of a doctor was seen as a necessary evil, there for the safelty of the fighters. I recall fights like Randy Couture and Vitor Belfort II ( i think it was II)

Crumx7
Crumx7
  • Predictions:  1,598  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  2,110
  • Post Score: 181

10.17.2011 | 10:46 AM ET

At least they are doing damage to finish the fight.  I'd much rather see a fight end due to doctor stoppage rather see a lay n pray decision.  Hopefully that answers the question haha.

* Edited at 10.17.2011, 10:46 AM ET *

"If you think about it, life is your one big chance" Follow @CRUMxMMA on Twitter

jersey0525
jersey0525
  • Predictions:  2,766  |  60.6%
  • Forum Posts:  4,536
  • Post Score: 188

10.17.2011 | 12:46 PM ET

i hate doctor stoppages, but a cut on a fighter is big....the fighter might panic (bobby lashley), it might impair their vision, or it might affect the judges scoring....i have no problems with fighters cutting each other, i hate when a fight is stopped tho....

"im an OT (ORIGINAL TAPOLOGIST), I used to write for cagepages.com. NO ONE CAN TAKE THAT LEFT HAND SHOT"

CaptainSuperman
CaptainSuperman
  • Predictions:  296  |  57.1%
  • Forum Posts:  315
  • Post Score: 139

10.17.2011 | 1:20 PM ET

Well, if you did the work to cut him open, maybe your opponent should work on defense?

Though I do understand that some people cut easy. But it doesn't seem to be a problem in MMA right now

"I'll kill you! I'll kill you to death!"

Bill Burgess
Bill Burgess
  • Predictions:  301  |  69.1%
  • Forum Posts:  5,093
  • Post Score: 47

10.17.2011 | 2:23 PM ET

In the wonderful world of sports, the rules give one a lot of leeway.  I doubt if the better fighters would prefer to win that way.  But for the aging, borderline guys on the bubble, they might try to get by anyway they can.  

Certain practices might be frowned on, but might be better than losing.  Like grabbing the fence to pull yourself up.  

In baseball, you are not supposed to throw at a batter.  If you do, you're supposed to get evicted from the game.  But brushing a hitter back is ok, just don't try to hit the guy.  We establish the rules and most guys play by the rules, but some give in to the wrong temptations, like using steroids.  The better guys normally play by the rules.

"Love God, live with honor, keep your agreements."

buffalo ben
buffalo ben

10.17.2011 | 2:37 PM ET

The fence thing has developed into an applied rule that you can grab the fence, but if you do the ref will pull your hand off of it. The only instance I can think of where a point was actually deducted was Ortiz/Evans I.

TownStar
TownStar
  • Predictions:  944  |  63.1%
  • Forum Posts:  329
  • Post Score: 62

10.17.2011 | 3:34 PM ET

cuts fair game, i say rub the **** out of it... besides its really hard these days to get a doctor stoppage, at least in the UFC. There should be more doctor wipe downs though, i hate to see a docotor come in to look at a cut then not clean off the blood on the face.

as for grabbing the fence, i think it too is fair game to grab and release the fence or what i like to call "palming." but NEVER to grab it improve position or to prevent a slam. Refs have been good to slap a hand away put stopping the fight to warn a fighter just seems counter productive. 

"fresh outta Oakland..."

ACFMMA
ACFMMA

10.17.2011 | 4:21 PM ET

Its legal so i would not consider it dirty. Its kind of a ***** move though. Its almost like the fighter is saying i cant beat him straight up so i gotta pray a doctor stops it and awards me the fight. Throwing elbows is a key part to effective ground n pound. But when i see a guy stall another guy against the fence and throw 20 short elbows non stop it kinda erks me. Theres a big difference between the elbows that florian throws which are intended to get a tko victory and some small elbows with no velocity or power that guys throw at the forehead to purposely open a cut.
buffalo ben
buffalo ben

10.17.2011 | 4:23 PM ET

What i don't like is when they target a small cut and try to make it bleed more. You serious dude? just keep fighting.

wolfmanhowl
wolfmanhowl

10.17.2011 | 4:27 PM ET

i have seen some fighters throw a "slower" elbow just for that purpose when they have a down opponent. its sorta like their using their elbow as a cutting device.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Doubles Down On Callout For Alex Pereira Rematch At UFC 301: ‘I Think I Deserve It’
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Goes Off On Logan Paul For Child Trafficking Comments, Claims He Will ‘Destroy’ Paul In Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway's coach breaks down matchup against 'oversized bantamweight' Ilia Topuria
  • MMAFighting.com : Lyoto Machida ‘already breathing fire’ after Luke Rockhold callout, interested in Karate Combat rematch
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Crazy That Something Like This Is Happening At This Level’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev's coach: 'Biggest threat' Justin Gaethje no longer in UFC title picture
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: De La Hoya talks next steps for Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: Oscar De La Hoya talks next steps for Ryan Garcia
  • MMA Mania : Double Champ Islam Next? ‘I Already Beat All These Guys’
  • MMAFighting.com : Justin Gaethje: It’ll be ‘6 months, at least, before I get back to taking shots’ after UFC 300 loss
  • MMA Junkie : Manon Fiorot open to Maycee Barber fight – but only if interim UFC flyweight title at stake
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan fires back at Michael Chandler: 'You are just waiting for a paycheck'
  • MMAFighting.com : Islam Makhachev not interested in Max Holloway matchup: ‘Maybe if he wins his next fight’
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: How much credit does Ryan Garcia deserve for beating Devin Haney?
  • Middle Easy : Israel Adesanya Reflects on His Iconic Rivlary with Alex Pereira: ‘I Just Knew That I Can Beat This Guy’
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry lauds Max Holloway for being in phenomenal shape compared to Justin Gaethje
  • MMA Mania : Arman Erodes ‘Iron’ Critique With ‘Exciting’ Rebuttal
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 92 Gets ‘Old School Boxing Poster’
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Plans to Challenge Welterweight Champ Leon Edwards Following UFC 302 Title Fight with Dustin Poirier
  • MMA Junkie : UFC's Stephen Thompson agrees that Michael Page 'could possibly be a very boring fight'