Topic: UFC Discussion

Question for Tapology: In house UFC Minor League - Yay or Nay?

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

04.30.2018 | 11:46 PM ET

I think it is fair to say at this point that the UFC has become rather bloated since the FOX deal in 2011 and the introduction of Fight Nights on FS1/FS2 in 2013 (which got extended to Fight Pass in 2014).  Not only that, the ways that they try to build up new names like TUF are drawing miserably on television.  However, with their further expansion clearly not going to go away anytime soon, could there be a way to manage it?  What about if the UFC revived a brand they acquired like the WEC, Strikeforce or WFA and turned it into their own personal in house minor league and make it part of a tiered system like MLB or NHL, where there is a possibility for those that do extremely well to earn a shot to the big leagues?  Not only that, you could give flexibility to fighters that are on the verge of retirement but want one last hurrah, as well as second chances to borderline fighters and prospects that need more time to develop.  Plus, they could use their current TV deal to alleviate the glut of UFC events as well as properly make use of Fight Pass the way WWE uses NXT to provide content for the WWE Network.  Also, these minor league promotions could be used as a testing ground for production elements and rules for future use in the UFC.

So what do you think?  Should the UFC bring back these promotions and set up in an in house minor leagues or should they do something else (like cut their roster and cut down on the events)?

"..."

Responses

GreenHornet
GreenHornet
  • Predictions:  42,804  |  62.5%
  • Forum Posts:  10,325
  • Post Score: 203

05.01.2018 | 3:29 PM ET

bump

"..."

AnAlias
AnAlias
  • Predictions:  7,888  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  8,737
  • Post Score: 246

05.01.2018 | 4:27 PM ET

I could see setting up a minor league, but I doubt they would bring back another promotion to do it. They've got a brand name to promote. 

There are many promotions that essentially already are minor leagues to the UFC. Promotions like Titan, Invicta, Ring of Combat, etc... have had relationships with the UFC for years, and even get their events streamed on Fight Pass.

They also have Dana White's contender's series now, which is kind of a minor league in a way.

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• MMAFighting.com : UFC 304 announced for Manchester this summer
  • MMAFighting.com : Morning Report: Ryan Garcia admits health concerns were all an act: ‘I was not gonna budge for nobody’
  • MMA Junkie : Video: 'UFC on ESPN 55: Nicolau vs. Perez' media day live stream (2:45 p.m. ET)
  • UFC.com : UFC Makes Highly Anticipated Return To Manchester On July 27 With UFC 304
  • Middle Easy : ‘MMA Media Hates Me,’ Ronda Rousey Reacts To Career Backlash & ‘How Happily Everybody Turned’ On UFC Star
  • MMA Mania : Midnight Mania: It PAYS To Be King
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Reveals His ‘Crazy’ Behavior Was a Publicity Stunt Planned Months in Advance
  • MMA Mania : ‘99.9%’ Chance Edwards Vs. Muhammad 2 Happens At UFC 304
  • MMA Junkie : The 10 largest UFC attendances in history
  • MMA Mania : ‘MMA Media Hates Me, It’s Fine’
  • Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Doubles Down On Callout For Alex Pereira Rematch At UFC 301: ‘I Think I Deserve It’
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Goes Off On Logan Paul For Child Trafficking Comments, Claims He Will ‘Destroy’ Paul In Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway's coach breaks down matchup against 'oversized bantamweight' Ilia Topuria
  • MMAFighting.com : Lyoto Machida ‘already breathing fire’ after Luke Rockhold callout, interested in Karate Combat rematch
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Crazy That Something Like This Is Happening At This Level’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev's coach: 'Biggest threat' Justin Gaethje no longer in UFC title picture
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: De La Hoya talks next steps for Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: Oscar De La Hoya talks next steps for Ryan Garcia
  • MMA Mania : Double Champ Islam Next? ‘I Already Beat All These Guys’
  • MMAFighting.com : Justin Gaethje: It’ll be ‘6 months, at least, before I get back to taking shots’ after UFC 300 loss