Topic: Holloway vs. Ortega

Holloway vs. Ortega

Anonymous Mode

You are not logged in to Tapology. When browsing anonymously, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

Oddsbot
Oddsbot
  • Predictions:  8,574  |  73.8%
  • Forum Posts:  17,522
  • Post Score: 60

04.20.2018 | 8:15 PM ET

This is the official discussion thread for Holloway vs. Ortega. Let's see what you've got.

"This is the droid you're looking for."

Responses

skelliher
skelliher
  • Predictions:  5,670  |  63.4%
  • Forum Posts:  11,051
  • Post Score: 245

04.20.2018 | 8:15 PM ET

Prediction: Holloway  |  Decision

Extremely compelling match-up, even if I wanted Frankie to get his shot.

"When a game cannot be won, change the game."

mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

04.20.2018 | 8:30 PM ET

Prediction: Ortega  |  Submission  |  Round 2

Andddd newwwwww
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 6 days, 1 hour, and 59 minutes from now.
ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

04.20.2018 | 8:39 PM ET

Prediction: Holloway  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 4

They don't come much better or more interesting than this; two new breed killers in their prime who both have the tools to finish one another.It's very hard to imagine what this fight will look like.

I have no idea how it will play out. Will Ortega be able to breach the distance and stand with Max inside? Will Holloway, who was taken down by Mcgregor, but who fended off Aldo's takedown attempts, be able to keep it standing? Will Ortega be able to match Holloways pace, Can he match his cardio? If Holloway winds ip on the bottom on a bad position will he be able to defend the choke? How good is Ortega's chin and can it stand up to Max's volume? Can Max recover if he eats something heavy from Ortega?

I've no idea, and I don't really know to guess.All I can be sure of is that this fight is as premium as it gets. These guys are the bleeding edge of MMA. There are wins, and there are wins.This  aint no Justino Guppy feed.The glory that awaits the Victor will be beyond question, indisputable.

Man, what a fight.

* Edited at 04.20.2018, 8:40 PM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 5 days, 2 hours, and 58 minutes from now.
Shaolin86
Shaolin86
  • Predictions:  4,974  |  63.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,090
  • Post Score: 125

04.21.2018 | 2:33 PM ET

Holloway by beautiful destruction. I don't think Ortega will be able to get a hold of Max or pressure him effectively enough to get off takedowns or land a shot that drops him. Could see the volume and pace becoming an issue in a 5 rounder, especially with those digging body shots. I think Max wins by mid to late TKO. He just has much better foot work that even if he doesn't get the finish I see no problem in him dancing around Ortega all night.
foley4ever87
foley4ever87
  • Predictions:  7,048  |  60.9%
  • Forum Posts:  1,092
  • Post Score: 86

06.24.2018 | 10:31 PM ET

This fight is really a close toss up for either guy they both are really talented.

" Stephen Quadros: "How long have you had that mustache?" Don Frye: "Since I was 5. I got it from my mom's side of the family. She's not a pretty woman.""

ImperatorFishrat
ImperatorFishrat
  • Predictions:  7,002  |  63.2%
  • Forum Posts:  14,546
  • Post Score: 236

06.25.2018 | 1:31 AM ET

Prediction: Holloway  |  KO/TKO  |  Round 4

The more I think about this, the more I think that Holloway will win by late TKO. We've yet to Ortega in deep water and we know he can be rocked courtesy of Guida. I can see Holloway outboxing him and ramping up the pace after the second, and I think Ortega will be overwhelmed.

Holloway by TKO R4.
This user is suspended from posting until 8 years, 11 months, 1 week, 5 days, 2 hours, and 58 minutes from now.
freemoneyforall
freemoneyforall
  • Predictions:  9,037  |  63.9%
  • Forum Posts:  11,680
  • Post Score: 207

06.25.2018 | 8:31 AM ET

Man this is an incredible fight no doubt. I first thought max for sure. 
Now im leaning towards ortega. Feels like its his time. Much as i've loved to watch
Max bang i think ortega is the smarter fighter. Think he finishes max within three.
Franklin880088
Franklin880088
  • Predictions:  1,570  |  59.7%
  • Forum Posts:  3,452
  • Post Score: 120

06.25.2018 | 10:40 AM ET

I don't think this will be close at all. Max will absolutely tee off on him striking, there not even remotely in the same league when it comes to striking. Out side of hitting max just right,, he going to get destroy in the stand up. Max is one top 5 strikers in the UFC.  Ortega only shot in my opinion is to get holloways head in a stand position and start the sub off. Otherwise, i don't think he have a prayer of getting Max down.  

"here I come to save the day"

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

06.25.2018 | 11:05 AM ET

Prediction: Ortega  |  Submission  |  Round 5

Franklin's been damn near spot on since Holloway Vs Aldo 1. Gotta give credit where its due. My only rebuttal is that Ortega made Edgar look average on the feet. Clipped with an elbow Frankies never been hit with. and when Ortega hurt him, he finished the job. Something Prime Aldo couldn't even do. 

Ortega could strangle anybody, anybody. If he got a hold of Big Nogs neck it would be over. His striking is improving in leaps and bounds. Ortega hasn't been in deep waters? Most of his wins are 3rd round finishes. Sure, thats not a 4th or 5th round but people also said Leon would gas. We rarely see fighters under 200 pounds gas anymore. 

First real question is can Holloway make it to this fight 100% healthy. Its a tough cut and his training is brutal. 

2nd question, is Holloway's jiu-jitsu that good? He did get submitted by Poirier. and before people bring up the "that was young Holloway" nonsense remember that was young Dustin too. Clearly both Max and Dustin have improved since then but it doesn't take away from the fact that he got strangled by a guy who doesn't strangle people. Ortega does. You don't even have to make a mistake either. Cub didn't do anything wrong, Ortega yanked his head down then slapped on that choke. 

This is the best match-up in UFC Featherweight History imo. Iron vs Iron. Hitman vs Wizard. Honey Badger vs Black Mamba. and neither are even in their prime yet. Can't get any better than this. 

* Edited at 06.25.2018, 11:31 AM ET *

This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 4 days, 16 hours, and 13 minutes from now.
mikeyg
mikeyg
  • Predictions:  7,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  6,232
  • Post Score: 113

06.25.2018 | 1:30 PM ET

Prediction: Ortega  |  Submission  |  Round 2

Frankie Edgar has some pretty legit Jiu Jitsu and he was terrified to go to the ground with Ortega. When Edgy Brah and Joe Rogan tell you someone is a phenom on the ground, they aren't kidding.
This user is suspended from posting until 4 years, 3 months, 1 week, 6 days, 1 hour, and 59 minutes from now.
AlexSpanBjj
AlexSpanBjj
  • Predictions:  1,328  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  215
  • Post Score: 79

07.02.2018 | 10:39 AM ET

Who was the guy in this forum who predicted/picked Holloway correctly since his first fight ??? @Yossgold i think.. Curious to know his lean on this one ^^
AlexSpanBjj
AlexSpanBjj
  • Predictions:  1,328  |  62.0%
  • Forum Posts:  215
  • Post Score: 79

07.02.2018 | 10:42 AM ET

Personally leaning Max. Ortega is able to capitalize on any given mistake but i really feel like if Max stays focus, he should get that win clearly.
AnthonyBrancato
AnthonyBrancato
  • Predictions:  9,809  |  61.6%
  • Forum Posts:  642
  • Post Score: 58

07.02.2018 | 10:49 AM ET

Prediction: Ortega  |  Submission  |  Round 4

If Chris Berman was still around and he was doing MMA he would call him "Brian 'Si! Ortega!'"

"MMA Fan Since Season 2 Of The Ultimate Fighter"

MassaBruce
MassaBruce

07.02.2018 | 11:33 AM ET

Prediction: Ortega  |  Submission  |  Round 5

every dodged strike attempt "WHOOP!" lmfao. Good ole' Chris Berman. 
This user is suspended from posting until 5 years, 5 months, 2 weeks, 4 days, 16 hours, and 13 minutes from now.
Mybbygotsauz
Mybbygotsauz
  • Predictions:  1,612  |  61.2%
  • Forum Posts:  745
  • Post Score: 131

07.03.2018 | 5:58 AM ET

I think people are sleeping on Ortega pretty hard, something about the guy. However Holloway is a completely different animal than anyone ortega has fought by far. Heart says Ortega, head says Max. 

"knocked out three midgets and ya pumped up"

PilloryChoke
PilloryChoke
  • Predictions:  31,978  |  64.3%
  • Forum Posts:  2,972
  • Post Score: 195

07.03.2018 | 11:59 AM ET

Yeah, it's a tough fight to call. Holloway is the toughest guy Ortega's ever faced but Ortega is dangerous everywhere and can't be counted out in a fight while it's still going on.

"When Conor fought Cowboy, he looked like a lion. When he fights stronger opponents, he looks like a scared chicken." - Khabib

WastelandWanderer
WastelandWanderer
  • Predictions:  155,871  |  66.6%
  • Forum Posts:  13,491
  • Post Score: 130

07.03.2018 | 2:01 PM ET

whoa this card gets better the higher you climb it! i need towel

"I am the greatest blonde man in the world. I am Tru Viking." - Alexander Gustaffsson / "The world must bow to my glory. I am a God amongst mortals. They must pay me tribute in wine and concubine for my deeds." - Jon Jones "

lldowntoearthll
lldowntoearthll
  • Predictions:  3,926  |  60.5%
  • Forum Posts:  1,375
  • Post Score: 39

07.04.2018 | 3:26 PM ET

i guess i just feel like max can outwork and outpoint ortega and avoid jumping into any silly risky positions.
mbach4307
mbach4307
  • Predictions:  934  |  60.1%
  • Forum Posts:  887
  • Post Score: 137

07.04.2018 | 4:56 PM ET

I have absolutely no clue how this fight will go. None. That makes this insane because I have watched both guys since they have been in the UFC. 

But I think Ortega can recover if he makes a mistake in there. But max won't be able to if he makes that critical mistake imo. So max can't relax even for a second. 

"Where are my shoes?"

rappinpapsoda
rappinpapsoda
  • Predictions:  71,490  |  59.8%
  • Forum Posts:  8,601
  • Post Score: 69

07.04.2018 | 11:43 PM ET

It will go as it will not happen. 

"The only thing predictable about MMA is that it is unpredictable."

You must be signed in to reply. Sign in or register to join the discussion.

As an anonymous reader, profanities and images are automatically removed from the forum.

• Middle Easy : Jiri Prochazka Doubles Down On Callout For Alex Pereira Rematch At UFC 301: ‘I Think I Deserve It’
  • Middle Easy : Ryan Garcia Goes Off On Logan Paul For Child Trafficking Comments, Claims He Will ‘Destroy’ Paul In Boxing Match
  • MMA Junkie : Max Holloway's coach breaks down matchup against 'oversized bantamweight' Ilia Topuria
  • MMAFighting.com : Lyoto Machida ‘already breathing fire’ after Luke Rockhold callout, interested in Karate Combat rematch
  • MMA Mania : ‘It’s Crazy That Something Like This Is Happening At This Level’
  • MMA Junkie : Islam Makhachev's coach: 'Biggest threat' Justin Gaethje no longer in UFC title picture
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: De La Hoya talks next steps for Garcia
  • Bad Left Hook : ‘Whoever wants to fight Ryan, he feels comfortable at 144’: Oscar De La Hoya talks next steps for Ryan Garcia
  • MMA Mania : Double Champ Islam Next? ‘I Already Beat All These Guys’
  • MMAFighting.com : Justin Gaethje: It’ll be ‘6 months, at least, before I get back to taking shots’ after UFC 300 loss
  • MMA Junkie : Manon Fiorot open to Maycee Barber fight – but only if interim UFC flyweight title at stake
  • MMA Junkie : Arman Tsarukyan fires back at Michael Chandler: 'You are just waiting for a paycheck'
  • MMAFighting.com : Islam Makhachev not interested in Max Holloway matchup: ‘Maybe if he wins his next fight’
  • Bad Left Hook : PODCAST: How much credit does Ryan Garcia deserve for beating Devin Haney?
  • Middle Easy : Israel Adesanya Reflects on His Iconic Rivlary with Alex Pereira: ‘I Just Knew That I Can Beat This Guy’
  • MMA Junkie : Mike Perry lauds Max Holloway for being in phenomenal shape compared to Justin Gaethje
  • MMA Mania : Arman Erodes ‘Iron’ Critique With ‘Exciting’ Rebuttal
  • MMA Mania : UFC Vegas 92 Gets ‘Old School Boxing Poster’
  • Middle Easy : Islam Makhachev Plans to Challenge Welterweight Champ Leon Edwards Following UFC 302 Title Fight with Dustin Poirier
  • MMA Junkie : UFC's Stephen Thompson agrees that Michael Page 'could possibly be a very boring fight'